Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Khanstant posted:

Enough talk! Time for action. You're the union leader now for the videogames. I have joined this union and I'm an artist for the videogames now. My demands are don't get fired when we finish the videogames. I'm gonna roll in from 930 to 10 and leave from 5 to 6 depending on the vibes.

As the union leader for video games I elect to kill all nerds and keep all the video games for myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Isn't the video game industry known for considering 60 hours a week "light" and actually publishing a game is a lot like playing Russian roulette with your job security?

Some AAA studios like Rockstar are like that. They actually contacted me for a release engineer position a few years ago, which I was fairly interested in, until the guy told me that 80 work weeks during crunch time are not atypical. :byewhore:

Boring, non-video game software is pretty chill though. As an extremely lazy person, it has my endorsement.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

jokes posted:

As the union leader for video games I elect to kill all nerds and keep all the video games for myself

Hell, what's my first job boss? I'm on board with this.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Devils Affricate posted:

Computer touchers haven't unionized because the the money still flows freely in that sector. Paying a fee for the privilege of engaging in collective bargaining isn't usually at the front of your mind when there's an endless supply of companies climbing over each other to pay you six figs to sit on your rear end all day. This will change with time of course, but currently it's a seller's market.

there's benefits to collective negotiation/action other than just more figgies
for example requiring X months' notice/pay for layoffs so people don't randomly get thrown out on their rear end when the CEO decides now's a good time to pump shareholder value
or when a higher-up demands return-to-office for no good reason when a company's been working fine remote/hybrid for years, a union can push back on that

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think video game development also has the option to become an indie developer, which is risky, but probably a lot easier for the individuals who want to be treated like people, but don't want to go through all the uphill battles of creating a union in an established, unionless industry. The Pinkertons are still around, and they can't spend all their time threatening nerds for unboxing magic cards!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I just finished the first cycle on Baroque on Sega Saturn. It’s a cool looking game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oooh nm

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I never customize my character beyond a cursory inspection. It doesn't matter to me what some dude on the screen looks like when 99% of the time I am looking at the back of them.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I never customize my character beyond a cursory inspection. It doesn't matter to me what some dude on the screen looks like when 99% of the time I am looking at the back of them.

That's why you pick a lady char, gimme them pixel buuuuuutts

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I will slam a prebuilt default that looks ok every time for the off chance theres a zoom in on my build a characters face.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That's why you pick a lady char, gimme them pixel buuuuuutts

That’s the excuse we all use at first.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I make all of my characters redheads because I am a red haired man and we need more representation in media

I also name them all Borkus because its funny.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I also name them all Borkus because its funny.

you're that gnome npc from BG3?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Thats why I put the butt slider: 100% on all my twink characters.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

you're that gnome npc from BG3?

No but Borkus definitely saved Barcus, it was meaningful between them.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Selecting from a dozen or so different preset faces and/or equivalent hair types is infinitely better than all these god drat sliders. Give me Jedi Jesus from KotOR2 or the Morrowind Lego-heads any day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
People who don't slam the sliders all the way to make an IHOP funny face character are goofballs who are missing out. If you wanna look at pretty people go buy a fashion magazine.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty sure people were spending an extra long amount of time in the BG3 character creator because of all the stat/feat/spell/class/etc options, not because they were goofing around with the sliders.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Devils Affricate posted:

Pretty sure people were spending an extra long amount of time in the BG3 character creator because of all the stat/feat/spell/class/etc options, not because they were goofing around with the sliders.

Video game crunch is nothing compared to 20hr D&D lvl 1 character creation sessions as you sit in a dim, smoky room comparing Hill dwarves and mountain dwarves proficiencies in woodwork vs stone carving.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

me spending 45 minutes tweaking the nose bridge length on my dark souls character's face only to wear a full helmet for 95% of the game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

BG3 barely even has those and they're not on the character creation screen anyway. It doesn't even give you a preview of later levels of your class. You just choose preset cosmetic options and pick a class and race iirc

Then the feats in BG3's version of 5e are so poorly designed that there's only 1 worth picking and it's the one that just lets you add 2 attribute points. And there's only ever one attribute your character will care about.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

If you're playing a monk you want to take the tavern brawler feat ASAP. I can't imagine there is a class where none of the feats are important.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Character creation is the best and I will happily spend 2 hours creating my character then restart after 30 minutes and spend another 2 hours because I decide I didn't like them.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I am enjoying the System Shock remake very much. I never played the original, even though System Shock 2 is in the running for my favorite video game of all time. Creeping around with no hand-holding and getting talked down to by cyber-mommy is apparently still my jam.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
lol if you don't just mash random on the face maker until you get something euclidean

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Quote-Unquote posted:

If you're playing a monk you want to take the tavern brawler feat ASAP. I can't imagine there is a class where none of the feats are important.

Ability score improvement outclasses every other feat pretty much every time. Monks and throwers want tavern brawler, 2h-weapon-users want great weapon fighting, ranged-weapon-users want sharpshooter, two-weapon-users want whatever the two weapon fighting feat is called, and that's pretty much it. Every spellcaster feat sucks balls. So every character is gonna take 1-3 ASIs.

Certainly on your main, party face character, there's never going to be anything that competes with +2 Charisma, especially if they're a warlock/sorcerer/bard.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
No love for Alert feat?
+5 initiative and ignore ambushes is pretty great.
Would still max my dex first.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A lot of those ASIs are a theory craft waste because in the game you have gear and there's plenty of gear to just set your ability score to something great that saves you like 8 levels of levelup investment.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Ability score improvement is boring and unnecessary for such an easy game. I only choose it when leveling one-time-use characters I don't give a gently caress about, like Wyll, who is only useful in one fight in act 3 for his arcane gate spell.

Alert, sentinel, crossbow expert, mage slayer, lots of fun stuff. The only really pointless feats are the magic initiate ones and ritual caster.

There's a lot of fun stuff in act 3 but I don't blame people for giving up on it, it no longer has the fun adventuring feel and there is way too much going on at once and you're surrounded by cops at all times.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Khanstant posted:

A lot of those ASIs are a theory craft waste because in the game you have gear and there's plenty of gear to just set your ability score to something great that saves you like 8 levels of levelup investment.

It is still really powerful. And BG3 lets you reroll your characters stats for almost free.

If you find STR 23 amulet late in game, you can just respec your fighter to STR 8 and use the freed points to max out CON/DEX instead.
Or take a cool feat instead of ASI.

On tabletop there's no Respec and wondrous items are not guaranteed to drop. Or if they drop, maybe other players want them too.
ASIs are much safer bets.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Overheard some non-gamer coworkers talking about fallout 4 today and I learned some things about it:

Even though it's #4 it's the only good one
It has co-op, but only online
It's a lot like grand theft auto

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

deep dish peat moss posted:

Overheard some non-gamer coworkers talking about fallout 4 today and I learned some things about it:

“I only play madden and fifa but fallout 4 is sick”

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

guy who has only played grand theft auto playing fallout for the first time: "getting a lot of grand theft auto vibes from this"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Now I want Fallout 4 split screen co-op so Sean's mom and dad can eat him together.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Playing skyrim and thinking its co-op because this person in the village talked to me and gave me a quest

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I am enjoying the System Shock remake very much. I never played the original, even though System Shock 2 is in the running for my favorite video game of all time. Creeping around with no hand-holding and getting talked down to by cyber-mommy is apparently still my jam.

Panting and sweating as u run thru my corridors

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Did they make Fallout 4 good or are people just playing it because of the TV show?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Nice Van My Man posted:

Did they make Fallout 4 good or are people just playing it because of the TV show?

They made fallout 4 even worse with a recent patch.

You literally cannot play it on Playstation if you own some of the dlc, it just crashes instantly before the menu screen.

Source: I tried to play it after watching the TV show.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
sounds like they made it better actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Nothing else gets my grognard impulses firing like Fallout. I wish other people gave a poo poo about Fallout 1 and 2, two of my favorite games of all time, instead of garbage games like 3/4/NV.