Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DontMockMySmock posted:

Nothing else gets my grognard impulses firing like Fallout. I wish other people gave a poo poo about Fallout 1 and 2, two of my favorite games of all time, instead of garbage games like 3/4/NV.

I'm imagining a hiss as the entire thread goes hostile and your combat panel opens, and you go off and get a coffee while waiting for everyone to post

I liked the first two but I'm not sure i could handle how slow the combat was these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i quite liked fallout tactics

e: oh, what about that generic ps2 arpg

MSPain fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 25, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I recently watched Noah Caldwell Gervais's 9-hour Fallout series retrospective, and wow did he ever hate Fallout: Tactics. I was a huge Fallout 1/2 nerd and followed Tactics from its first announcement all the way through, but I also haven't played it since I was a teenager. I don't remember it being very juvenile or gross but I guess it is. I remember being really angry about the talking furry Deathclaws (yes Fallout 2 had talking deathclaws but it was its own thing) and anime-robots but I thought it was a great game and something that would hold me over until Van Buren babyyyyy

I got Fallout 2 for my 14th or 15th birthday or something. I still have the box. The back of it says you can pimp out your wife for some extra "chump change" but that's not a feature in the game :mad:

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel gets way too much hate. Yeah it's a real dumb ARPG, but it advertises itself as such and seems to succeed at everything it set out to do so, I dunno, everyone who hates that game I feel like had weird expectations.

I recently played through Fallout 1 and it held up really well. The worst part of it was the extremely inconsistent writing -- literally the writing, as in the way sentences are formed. Different people clearly wrote different parts of the game and had very different narrative styles, and it clashes hard, when you're reading one thing written like someone trying to convey hopelessness and loss and then the next thing feels like it was written by a 15 year-old trying to get himself sent to the principal's office.

credburn fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 25, 2024

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

sebmojo posted:

I'm imagining a hiss as the entire thread goes hostile and your combat panel opens, and you go off and get a coffee while waiting for everyone to post

I liked the first two but I'm not sure i could handle how slow the combat was these days

*hits you with a super sledgehammer and watches you slide slooooooooooooowly across the room until you finally hit a wall*

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
let larian do a fallout game. gotd

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

DontMockMySmock posted:

*hits you with a super sledgehammer and watches you slide slooooooooooooowly across the room until you finally hit a wall*

If there is no wall there is a not unlikely chance he will continue sliding and go off screen and go on forever sliding and you'll have to ctrl+alt+del.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

credburn posted:

I recently watched a 9-hour Fallout series retrospective, and wow did I ever have no life

Jesus Christ.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I loved Fallout 1 but played an unpatched broken Fallout 2 and wasn't a big fan, and don't really want to revisit it with the patches that fix everything. That game was busted, and it seems like they spent all their programming time on lame joke encounters instead of making sure any of the quests worked.

I mean there were definitly cool bits like the gangster town, I get why it's popular.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I like the OG xbox fallout game that was like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance but with guns, mostly because it was co-op. New Vegas was pretty good after a few patches too because it was completely unplayable at launch. I remember a main-quest critical NPC spawning 100ft in the air about an hour in.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

R.L. Stine posted:

let larian do a fallout game. gotd

https://twitter.com/NewBlood/status/1537228975906627585

New Blood is doing one instead.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Its old AF but if you like Fallout 1/2 then you should check out Dark Suns: Shattered Lands (I know I've shilled this game itt before, sorry)

its d&d on crack in a wasteland world. The gold box version is on Steam, although it runs through Dosbox so the controls get a little weird sometimes

also the end game is a giant battle where you slaughter a ton of dudes, no big boss or gimmick fight. :ssh: If you find the magic lamp, you can wish a Genie to fight it for you and it stomps the gently caress outta them :ssh:

ishikabibble posted:

New Blood is doing one instead.

the bottom screen looks cool AF. I like 3rd person isometric games

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 26, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, sorry New Blood, those are both games I dont see myself ever playing but thats a me not a you problem.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Panting and sweating as u run thru my corridors

I saw a grenade for sale in a type of vending machine that usually only sells chips and soda and it made me worried that other vending machines sold useful stuff like that and I hadn't noticed and might have to backtrack to see what I'd missed. I bought the grenade and SHODAN said "Enjoy your purchase, hacker," and I'm so used to her making snarky comments that I didn't even consider it might be a live grenade and I blew up :saddowns:

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I wonder if Final Fantasy VIII will click for me now that my hormonal levels are equivalent of that to a high school girl.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I saw a grenade for sale in a type of vending machine that usually only sells chips and soda and it made me worried that other vending machines sold useful stuff like that and I hadn't noticed and might have to backtrack to see what I'd missed. I bought the grenade and SHODAN said "Enjoy your purchase, hacker," and I'm so used to her making snarky comments that I didn't even consider it might be a live grenade and I blew up :saddowns:

kids are callin' it getting SHODAN'd

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

I like the OG xbox fallout game that was like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance but with guns, mostly because it was co-opfull of ads.

I never played that one, I liked Tactics overall, though. 1 is my favorite, followed by NV, followed by 2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

credburn posted:

I recently watched Noah Caldwell Gervais's 9-hour Fallout series retrospective, and wow did he ever hate Fallout: Tactics. I was a huge Fallout 1/2 nerd and followed Tactics from its first announcement all the way through, but I also haven't played it since I was a teenager. I don't remember it being very juvenile or gross but I guess it is. I remember being really angry about the talking furry Deathclaws (yes Fallout 2 had talking deathclaws but it was its own thing) and anime-robots but I thought it was a great game and something that would hold me over until Van Buren babyyyyy

I got Fallout 2 for my 14th or 15th birthday or something. I still have the box. The back of it says you can pimp out your wife for some extra "chump change" but that's not a feature in the game :mad:

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel gets way too much hate. Yeah it's a real dumb ARPG, but it advertises itself as such and seems to succeed at everything it set out to do so, I dunno, everyone who hates that game I feel like had weird expectations.

I recently played through Fallout 1 and it held up really well. The worst part of it was the extremely inconsistent writing -- literally the writing, as in the way sentences are formed. Different people clearly wrote different parts of the game and had very different narrative styles, and it clashes hard, when you're reading one thing written like someone trying to convey hopelessness and loss and then the next thing feels like it was written by a 15 year-old trying to get himself sent to the principal's office.

As I recall his experiment with inducing stockholme syndrome on himself ended with him playing Fallout 4 so many times he became convinced it was good actually.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Overheard some non-gamer coworkers talking about fallout 4 today and I learned some things about it:

Even though it's #4 it's the only good one
It has co-op, but only online
It's a lot like grand theft auto

this is what happen when non internet forum people play a game and its gotta be way better, leave them in their bliss

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't acknowledge that I play games IRL because the only people I know who talk about games are people like that so I'm well aware I'm the ultra nerd

At my last job where I only stayed for a week there was a daily conversation between 3 people about how Gotham Knights was the best game they had ever played :3:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Whenever I accidentally let it slip that I play video games people ask me what I play and I awkwardly change the subject so I don't have to explain traditional roguelikes to them

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Nice Van My Man posted:

Did they make Fallout 4 good or are people just playing it because of the TV show?

just the tv show
but they did recently release a "next gen" patch that comes with 0 graphics improvements (i guess it's all under-the-hood stuff?) and breaks every single mod

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

i mean it's all right. i've had some fun. no way i'm completing it though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

Whenever I accidentally let it slip that I play video games people ask me what I play and I awkwardly change the subject so I don't have to explain traditional roguelikes to them

it's a game about exploring a dungeon.

there you're done. everyone knows what dungeons are you don't have to explain what elbereth means or how to identify a ring

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

talking about video games is a touchy subject, you need to pay close attention to whatever response you expect your audience will have. if they like video games, pretend like you don't play them and then start listing off sports teams that you've heard of so that they'll go away and leave you alone. if they don't like video games, start talking about how much you love disco elysium and offer to show them your collection of sonic the hedgehog impregnation pictures so that they'll go away and leave you alone. if your initial interpretation of your audience was wrong, then you'll know right away because they'll suddenly have an erection; remain calm, immediately switch to the other tactic so that they'll go away and leave you alone

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

there you're done. everyone knows what dungeons are you don't have to explain what elbereth means or how to identify a ring

"oh i know all about dungeons, my wife mary and i go to a dungeon together on the second thursday of the month. have you heard of pegging, fellow coworker? let me describe how my wife pegs me in explicit detail"

see that's the situation you just set yourself up for, like an idiot. a real pro neatly sidesteps that pitfall and instead pulls out the wallet-sized picture of goatse that they keep on their person to easily escape from awkward conversations like this one. they'll either never talk to you again or they'll assume you want to go meet them in the nearest bathroom, either way they leave and that means you win

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

everyone knows what dungeons are you don't have to explain what elbereth means or how to identify a ring

The goddess that Frodo invokes on Weathertop to drive away the Nazgûl? That's in Chapter 11, A Knife in the Dark; the ring got identified way back in Chapter 2, The Shadow of the Past. And it's hardly a dungeon; it's just the foundation of a long-ruined watchtower.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm pretty sure most people can intuit that invoking Varda's epithet forms a powerful rune of protection

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm pretty sure most people can intuit that invoking Varda's epithet forms a powerful rune of protection

it's basically trolling to insinuate otherwise

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Here's one:

In Fallout New Vegas, Joshua Graham has shown no redemptive attitude or remorse of what he has done in the past and is completely untrustworthy. The only reason I didn't kill him was because I was sure doing so wouldn't be allowed.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Samovar posted:

Here's one:

In Fallout New Vegas, Joshua Graham has shown no redemptive attitude or remorse of what he has done in the past and is completely untrustworthy. The only reason I didn't kill him was because I was sure doing so wouldn't be allowed.

Which guy is that, theres like a thousand people in the game

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Which guy is that, theres like a thousand people in the game

The cool bandage guy that sits around and loads 1911s all day after Caesar lit him on fire and threw him in the Grand Canyon

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i didn't know until now there was no way to play a game you buy on steam without updating it.

that's really poo poo. i was going to play fallout 4 just now but it's got a 16gb update. what if i don't want it? which i don't.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

roomtone posted:

i didn't know until now there was no way to play a game you buy on steam without updating it.

that's really poo poo. i was going to play fallout 4 just now but it's got a 16gb update. what if i don't want it? which i don't.

that's almost everything that you buy a game on now

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah i suppose i just never tried to play a game without updating it before and realising you can't do that

they shouldn't be allowed to force change your games after you've bought them

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

at least I can still install games you aren't allowed to buy anymore on steam (currently)

that reminds me, I've been meaning to replay Deadpool

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

MrQwerty posted:

that's almost everything that you buy a game on now

not GOG, you can still play the older version of Fallout 4 there.

(Actually you have no choice, GOG hasn't been updated with the next gen patch yet)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

roomtone posted:

Lesson learned, should have bought from GOG

What if you set the game to only update when launched, and then place Steam in Offline mode? Does that work?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Unless it's always-online garbage, you should be able to specify a previous version in the game's steam properties, check the updates tab

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Devils Affricate posted:

Unless it's always-online garbage, you should be able to specify a previous version in the game's steam properties, check the updates tab

That's only if the dev actively allows it and keeps older versions in sync. Most games require you to update to the latest version it knows about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

roomtone posted:

if it doesn't use steamworks drm you can just run the .exe directly instead of clicking the play button in steam