Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Final Fantasy 8 is great and Undertale is embarrassing poo poo and most of it's fanbase needs therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the only good let's play was slowbeef doing super metroid, everything after that is a pale and unfunny shadow of what came before trying to catch lightning in a bottle a second time yet managing to make the second worst things on youtube right above reaction videos and right below annanuki lizard conspiracy videos.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Stanley Parable is as stupid if not more stupid than the people that like it

playing Hearthstone is sadder than playing WoW, which is somehow upstaging a crying orphan in a concentration camp that had to eat her emaciated puppy to survive 20 minutes before everyone was released by American soldiers.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

feelix posted:

What would you compare watching hearthstone on twitch to

I have no problem with watching other people play video games.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

like a cigarette should posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition was better than Dragon Age 2.

I laughed gaily ha-ha-ha as I sent all Hawkes to their deaths and instead saved whoever that mustache guy was.

Dragon Age is the single most boring game series I've ever played.

I returned FF13 about 20 hours in because it was dumb, but Dragon Age literally put me to sleep in the middle of the afternoon.

I get that they want to prioritize the story and make the hilariously bad combat as an afterthought but the story itself is tedious as gently caress.

Oh hey I need some reinforcements for a fight? Here is what looks like a parody of RPG fetch quest chains except it lasts 8 hours, is completely earnest and you didn't even have to do it in the first place.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would rather play a freemium mobile game than another boring, ponderous and excruciating Dragon Age or Final Fantasy game.

I would throw Assassin's Creed in there but that series of games was obviously poo poo from the start.

Also Call of Duty is basically Madden and only marginally better than Uncharted, which people should be embarrassed for liking.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Once you play a Star Ocean or Tales game you should rightfully never want to play another tedious as gently caress Final Fantasy combat game.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
PC gaming is objectively better in every measurable metric and the people who try to say it isn't are describing their own inadequacies and bias while pretending to hide behind the issue of their favorite corporation being superior to other peoples favorite corporations.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

UVO #1:
Video game art and stories like Legacy of Kain, The Last of Us, and The Shadow of the Colossus are not only good, but can literally transcend other narrative art forms or graphic art because of the immersion and influence (or lack thereof) on the events. Joel's final sequence in tLoU is a very strong memory for some players because he has no choice but to save Ellie. The only way to save your baby girl is to murder this doctor and very possibly doom mankind or you might as well drop dead right here.

UVO #2:
In spite of their awesome casts of characters and numerous iterations, fighting games have become unplayable garbage and the only remaining fun one (SSmBros.) gets bullied into becoming as close to un-fun garbage as possible. I want to able to sit down and play Skullgirls or Soul Caliber with friends and feel like the gap between us won't be literally impossible to overcome in a 2-4 hour time frame because they don't understand frames and supers and guard breaks.

UVO #3:
The obviously inappropriate and disproportionate amount of vitriol and harassment women meet in gaming forums, discussions and conventions is not only apparent to anyone with a brain but the fact that it can't just be acknowledged without scathing calls to arms on either side of the debate is like way more of a bigger problem and it's the main reason I think people who don't play video games think we're children and can't get dates. (I think Anita w/e is a tool but no one ever deserves to get threatened with rape at work, that seems kinda basic to me)

#1 is actually a popular opinion. It's the unpopular opinion that all of those games are boring garbage due to the creators having dreams of being movie producers but taking it out on unfortunate gamers everywhere.

And #3, anyone who inserts gender, politics or gender politics into a child's hobby to fight an ideological war is equally as terrible, on any side.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mega Man X5 is better than any classic megaman game, and Megaman 3 is the best classic megaman game

Mega Man X is better than both of them

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

X4 > X5 but X5 is rad as well, yeah.

Agreed on X and 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OVv-J-LXQU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Children should only be allowed to graduate to newer games after they have beaten games that are older.

This can be decided by committee but you only end up on baby difficulty modern games like gears of war and call of duty after you are successfully certified to have beaten Doom and Quake.

Nobody will be allowed to play Assassins Creed or any game featuring Zombies.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fallout 4 is actually the best Fallout game and only rose tinted glasses lets people say otherwise.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The first universally accepted Autism Test should be based on Sonic The Hedgehog games.

The tie-breaker will be based on Dark Souls.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Antiquated Pants posted:

Final Fantasy 13-2 is one of the better Final Fantasy games. They took the good parts of 13 and stream-lined it, then threw in a randomly metal sound track.

there were no good parts of Final Fantasy 13 or any Final Fantasy after 8

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
all fighting games are equally as stupid, Smash just embraces how stupid it is while fans of the other series have to go on and on and on about hit frames, combinations, tiers or "exchanges."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTdQ7Xx4Q34

Literal babies can beat fighting games.

The only gameplay they actually provide is giving people a feeling of doing something cool by translating baby smashing into cool actions that dazzle you.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The F2P Fire Emblem game for phones is actually...pretty cool so far?

Nah, the most gameplay it provides will be the eventual meltdowns in the games thread when people that are inexperienced with gacha games get frustrated.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Starbound is actually a pretty great game and the only people that poo poo all over it are the people that anxiously followed it through it's long development time and can't stop being nostalgic for changes and features that were different in beta patch 0.024 versus beta patch 0.025 or whatever while blaming the game for not catering to their specific ideal of what it should be instead of self reflecting on the personal issues that led them to be so upset about a video game in the first place.

Contrarian autists that show up to go "Well I didn't follow development and i think it's bad" are equally as bad or worse than the first people because they are disagreeing to hear themselves talk.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's leagues better than pretty much every other gacha game I've played though (DBZ Dokkan, that Shadow Wars thing some idiot in PYF was going on about, etc).

that's just the honeymoon period people experience when they find a new F2P game they like

"Honestly guys, __________ isn't like the rest. This one is way better than _________ "

That guy that dropped $200 to get 16 five star units hasn't yet realized there is no real game. That feeling causing you to defend it is exactly what the companies are aiming for when marketing their games and the goons salivating over little golden fightmans and spending their disposable income is the game.

It's a contest to see who has the least amount of self control because there is no point in getting gold fightmans other than that risk reward tingling in your brain since it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 20 of them because you can run all of the games content with free units in maybe two days.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Spore is similar to Starbound where nerds built their own fantasy dream game and played imaginary GI Joes with it, putting the blame for them falling for marketing and hype on the people hyping the project instead of them believing it because they wanted to believe. The evil publisher said this game would be the second coming of Digital Jesus, he is a liar! And an rear end in a top hat! The game sucks!

Having known nothing about Spore it was a pretty good game and most of the people that constantly poo poo on it, to this day are either opinion groupies that want to poo poo on something because other people poo poo on it or are nerds that can't face their child like imaginations being the problem with them constantly being disappointed in life.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

What's pretty good about it? The ability to make a lumpy, weird creature that animates like crap and slides around, with stats that barely matter? Or clicking on animals in an empty mmo field to either bite them or dance in front of them?

Yes

Also Super Metroid is one of the best executions of the video game medium to have ever been done, and the Metroid Prime games are objectively worse and when someone talks about their attributes and quality it speaks more to the negative qualities of the person than the positive qualities of the game.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bust Rodd posted:

Mario Party, every single game, is a wet dumpster fire, encapsulated in a frozen bubble of pure time, and dropped into a black hole of fun. There is absolutely nothing appealing about multi-player couch-competitive gaming that revolves around terribly designed mini-games. I know people in their late-20's and 30's who still have CALLUSES on their loving PALMS from N64 controllers from Mario Party...

Mario Kart 8 rules is the best cart racer since Crash Team Racing, with Diddy Kong racing being a CLOSE 3rd, but the actual best cars game is TWISTED METAL: BLACK. If the opening hook from Rolling Stone's "Paint it Black" doesn't immediately get your blood pumping and fill your mind with images of flaming clown skulls and Calypso's weird dead eye and Dollface's semi just body slamming a pick-up truck into a bed of spikes then you don't know what real fear is. Rock & Roll Racing has the only cool cast of car game characters besides Twisted Metal Black (although Cel Damage was very fun, I can't tell you anything about any of the characters, except one of them was a sexy lady)

Streaming/LPs make absolutely no sense as a way to spend you're time (Doing them or watching them) and I think anyone who is into them just MUST be super bad at video games. I think once in a blue moon someone like goonlord supreme AccountingNightmare will post LPs of her playing very hard games extremely well and explaining how she's doing what she's doing, and you can really take your game up a notch from watching them, but this is basically a tutorial at that point. I tried watch popular streamers for 10-15 minutes on recent games and they are so unbelievably bad and get stuck on such ridiculous poo poo that my blood boils instantly and I just have to start playing ANYTHING to get the taste of "being bad at vibeogames" out of my mouth. Kids love it, they watch people play minecraft and pokemon and watch it like cartoons and I can, like, almost see that, but if you are old enough to play a game and would rather watch a game, you have to be either bad at video games yourself or were a little brother/sister growing up and as such are used to "playing video games" just meaning "watching someone else play video games". Then there are the people who think that they will illicit the timeless magic of MST3K... But with VIBEOGAMES and there is literally one or two dudes doing it professionally and Yahtzee can barely manage to eke 5 minutes of that style of humor in a week and you think you can stay funny and fresh for 20-40 hours of a story-based narrative? That you are more or less in control of? The mind reels...

(Disclaimer: I watch overwatch world championship games or scrimmages between teams that I like, but I never just watch players streaming, if I have that kinda time, I'll just, like, PLAY overwatch)

you talk mad poo poo about game streamers but still somehow justify watching overwatch matches? That is an unpopular opinion because it makes no sense. Overwatch is repetitive poo poo and I can at least see the appeal in watching an actual game unfold with someone else playing it in a normal stream.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Multiplayer battle mode in Starfox 64 is more fun than anything baby's first TeamFortress 2, Overwatch, brings to the table.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Prestige? gently caress all that - I just hate seeing You have unlocked 49/63 (78%) displayed next to a game entry in Steam because of the stupid multiplayer achievements. I also hate achievements which require some kind of really obsessive grind to achieve, or incredibly persnickety achievements like the non-lethal run in Deus Ex HR. It's a completionist thing, not a prestige thing.

Red Faction Guerilla has a bunch of multiplayer only achievements and there are precisely 0 people online because the game is 8 years old.

"Get 5,000 points as (class)"
"Win 25 Matches"

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On Missable Items:

However good people think Final Fantasy 12 was the game was seriously hindered by the Zodiac Weapon for the gay twink fuckboy requiring you to not open 12 random chests located randomly throughout the game. Some of them were in the initial areas where of course you are going to open a chest. Nope. If you opened any of those 12 specific chests, out of dozens scattered throughout the game, you could no longer get the gay twink fuckboy's ultimate weapon.

Adding something like that in that is completely impossible to know without a guide is a serious mark against the game.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The concert and the multiple hours of game time spent setting up for the concert was not an embarrassing waste of time in Final Fantasy X-2.

Also Having to hit a specific button, without prompts, at a specific time, during a cutscene you only see once to get %100.0 game completion and the real ending was not complete bullshit.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The first true steps in authoritarianism should be to track purchases of whatever the newest Sonic the Hedgehog game is and forcibly sterilize anyone who purchases it.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the entire resident evil series is about a million times overrated and has been complete garbage from start to finish

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
overwatch is the same dumb bullshit as call of duty or gears multiplayer just nice and colorful to appeal to the giant children that enjoy it.

in terms of sheer gameplay it's nearly nonexistent and can not compare to a vast majority of actual games. At least Call of Duty and Gears give you a story and campaign to play instead of just 5v5 deathmatch over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over

jingle some keys in the form of bright lights and colorful attacks every now and then

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think there could be a venn diagram that shows the overlap between people that like dragon age/undertale and a number of other mental illnesses

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
undertale's ending should just be a hotline displayed on the screen to get help from mental health professionals

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
having strong opinions about videogames at all makes you a horrible nerd and trying to distinguish yourself from those other horrible nerds because they have the wrong opinions makes you the worst, congratulations.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
any of you talking about RTS games being ~strategic~ with all the elite strategies have successfully tested positive for autism.

RTS games are probably the most pointless form of game, and the only thing worse than being good at them is being smug about being good at them.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I saw there were like 120 new posts in this thread and thought maybe a new branch of conversation had opened up, but was disappointed to see that most of the new posts were RTS fans loudly counting matchsticks.

Which once again brings us back to RTS being stupid poo poo for idiots that are unable to get that "Badass Feeling" from anything other than a spreadsheet with a GUI laid over it.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here is 40,000 words on why my glorified cellphone game is the pinnacle of gaming, just in case the first 30,000 words didn't convince you.

Are you ready to argue over every single molecule of your argument, breaking this poo poo down with a microscope in a never ending autism fueled rage debate on why my lovely taste in gaming is actually correct? What do you mean this reflects back on the RTS games I'm valiantly defending?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Skeleton Necromancers and everyone proud of playing them in Diablo 2, like you are all some kind of legendary geniuses for figuring out that you can just keep adding points to skeletons, are dumb and they had no utility past taking casuals through the normal game once.

:words: but if you min max :words: :words: :words: the right runes :words: :words: then skelemancers :words:

You and your builds are the worst in what is one of the greatest games of all time.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Binding of Isaac is a bullet hell game for literal children and the only reason people love it so much is because it is so easy.

When comparing it to games that actually take skill and reflexes like Enter The Gungeon everyone always mentions how Isaac swamps you in overpowered upgrades making almost all of your runs successful, which appeals to the game's fans since it's basically a reward response generator where you just turn on the game and prepare to be told you are an amazing player because of the amazing run you just did, conveniently ignoring that it's so simple a literal infant could beat it by mashing the controller.

Good job player!!! Would you like to do a good job again?!? And again!?!? Such a good player!

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

they buffed skeletons, dude. Like 15 years ago

:words: but if you min max :words: :words: :words: the right runes :words: :words: then skelemancers :words: but 1.09c :qq: :qq: 1.10 :words: :qq:

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Final Fantasy 8 > Final Fantasy 7, 10x2, 12, 13, 15

Final Fantasy 9 and X are alright.

Also if you play any game, like Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Vesperia or the Star Ocean games and go back to the final fantasy turn based glacial paced combat you are a loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

I played Tales of Symphonia and couldn't figure out how to beat the first boss.

I once saw a literal retarded child get farther than that, sooooo