Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You just need autism to "get" the technical parts of melee. There is little practical reason to ever do some of the stuff they obsess over, but they will still spend weeks practicing it so they can show it off at tournaments.

Melee tournaments are awful places and I will forever resent my former roommate for dragging me in to that "community". They don't even drink and will get mad if you even try and bring alcohol into the cramped game shop that reeks of BO and bawls brand energy drink. It was even sad at MLG when they included it, we were shunted off to some side area with a bunch of old CRT TVs while the Halo 2 guys got the cool giant screen and they didn't have to sit on the floor.

Yeah also when you hear about sexual assaults and harassment at tournaments it is always, always, always the Melee players. Every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Twelve Batmans posted:

Happened to see your post regarding KOF XIII a few pages back and while I think the sale is over, I can say XIII was an excellent game. Just very tight on the inputs. I've found XIV to be a lot more forgiving on inputs and thus easier to practice, but XIII is great. Very beautiful game too.

Sweet. I actually did end up buying it during the sale but haven't had a chance to spin it up yet because my boot drive ended up committing suicide. :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Eating a mushroom to grow big is stupid & has no basis in reality

you have only done really really lovely mushrooms huh

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

basic hitler posted:

someone gave me a free ARMA key, and i redeemed it, but i have never installed it or played it, ever. Is it worth my time? I don't mind tactical stuff but im not super thrilled about it, and i know that's arma's shtik. is there a fun game underneath the tryhard nonsense?

No

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rocksmith 2014 is better than Rock Band 3.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

wtf it's a hex based *wars game that's awesome

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

GTA, as a franchise, has been getting worse and worse since the PS2 era, and even then SA is the only one that manages to be any better than aggressively mediocre.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FFXV is really good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Uncharted 1 and 2 are pretty fun. The Last Of Us is profoundly unfun, as if Naughty Dog wanted to punish you for childishly believing that video games are entertainment.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This is a new opinion that I just thought of totally completely unprompted from this thread but Trump should probably deport anyone with a battle.net account.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I used to like RTS games, until this thread.

e: wait that's probably not an unpopular opinion at all

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

jfc some of you guys need to try drugs or sex or something god drat

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

there is a whole forum for autistic blizzard game fans, please go there and never return

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Smythe posted:

David Sirlin is also Good, haha

This is true and I make a point of posting it in Traditional Games about once a year, it makes them sooooo angry lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It is no surprise at all that Nintendo doesn't make more new franchises when stuff like Codename S.T.E.A.M. is already sitting in bargain bins all over and Splatoon, the company's best-selling new IP of the last decade, sold less than half as many copies as lovely entries of other series like Assassin's Creed Unity.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rimworld is way better than Dwarf Fortress.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Stale Saltines posted:

Again people are confusing unpopular opinions with objective facts.

To add on to this, early access rules and I don't get why people complain about it so much unless they somehow don't know what they're getting in to despite Steam putting a giant warning on all of them. I got Ark on sale for $20 and played it for about 80 hours. That's a hell of a lot more than most $30+ completed games I've bought. I don't really care that it will never be finished or get optimized because I got my money's worth and I'll probably never touch it again. Games like Rimworld and 20XX are great because when I get bored of them I just play something else for a couple months and when I get the urge to pick them up again now they have a bunch of new features to mess around with. Hell even sometimes you get a miracle like Broforce that actually makes it to a final release. Basically just play the poo poo with really good reviews.

20XX is goddamn great and it's a shame that the weird spriting style looks so awkward in screenshots - the game looks fine in motion.

The Switch is going to do really, really well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

Nintendo should still do more than their infinite wave of Mario and Zelda titles. They have a bad habit of killing things for not making gigantic sales. In the end it leaves them with consoles that have only two games of any value coming out each year and endless rereleases of decades old games. They should try making lots of lower budget games alongside their big titles so that they can have an actual library on their consoles and some variety in their games.

Honestly I'd take anything over waiting nearly decades at a time for something new or interesting to come from Nintendo. It wouldn't kill them to have a team make a new F Zero or 2D metroid on a lower budget, or try out making some cool retro style games.

I agree wholeheartedly, I'm just saying it's not a surprise at all.

quote:

Also, splatoon's lack of sales can be blamed on the WiiU selling like trash.

Yeah, but what's the excuse for Codename STEAM then? I just grabbed it for seven bucks at GameStop and am only a few missions in, but it's a perfectly serviceable Valkeria Chronicles Lite that has a hell of a nice art style and a story that's so ridiculous that it doesn't matter how boring or inconsequential it feels. I mean, gently caress, the Japanese subtitle is LINCOLN VS. ALIENS.

Rutibex posted:

same, except WoW ruined MMOs and Ultima Online was the golden age

Rutibex, you go on speaking truth.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

Konami side scrolling beat 'em ups are garbage. Turtles, Simpsons, X-Men - people only like them because of nostalgia. Play them again, and they're simplistic garbage, whereas all the Capcom side scrollers [Final Fight, Aliens Vs. Predator, Punisher, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs etc] hold up well.

Beat 'em ups are such a weird genre. My unpopular opinion is that The Bouncer, a beat 'em up for the PS2, was kinda fun.

quote:

The Games forum is largely worthless nowadays. Nerdlingers are so keen to get their name on a megathread that they'll post months in advance and start building up a hype frenzy, then when the actual product's released nobody wants to back down so you get this weird circlejerk of people rabidly defending a game and any actual discussion is pretty much impossible. Any game that has a omg goon dev gets an automatic pass and is immediately the best thing ever [Brigador, Clockwork Empires, Age of Wonders] and about 1/3 of the other threads are obviously posted by employees of studios. Any time anyone posts like "HEY GUYS JUST GONNA PLAY THIS GAME WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT/DO/PREPARE FOR?" it makes me feel sad, because surely figuring out what to expect and do is the entire point of a videogame?

This is so true. It's a sea of megathreads filled with overinvested people. The thing is...how else should it work?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Pawl posted:

2D zelda games are the only good ones

i used to think this, and still kinda do, but BotW is really good (specifically because it really emulates the 2d zeldas in terms of exploration)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Birthday Cake is the worst song to ever be in a videogame and Cibo Matto defenders are mentally ill

ADD SOME SUGA AAAH SOME SALT AAA SOME OIL OR MSGGGGGGG

you're totally right but that song has a special place in my heart, some weirdo on my floor freshman year kept hanging out with my roommate and farting up our room and he hated cibo matto enough that he would clear out when that came on in JSRF

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mementos is fine

sometimes you wanna turn your brain off and grind for a while

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

look, it's the guy who really loving likes cliff racers

everyone who has ever complained about cliff racers is a huge wuss

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Handheld consoles are the light and the way and Sony giving up on them saddens me because the Vita and PSP are the best ever

the vita is insanely good and if it wasn't for the call of duty game that sony pushed in the commercials being so bad that the company that made it needed to change its name it would have been a huge powerhouse handheld

the proprietary memory cards shoulda been included too, or, better yet, it shoulda used SD cards

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jetpacks are one of the worst gameplay mechanics ever added to games. They really have no place in games outside of platformers or games based around mobility. They pop up in multiplayer games that don't need them, ruining the balance because the maps are not based around the use of jetpacks but everyone wants to be Boba Fett so they zip around like assholes getting shot out of the sky achieving nothing.

i'm really curious about what games you're talking about here because the ones i've played that have jetpacks (destiny, blops3) absolutely have their maps designed around it, to a really noticeable degree

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

The best Sonic game is Shadow the Hedgehog

shadow the hedgehog was actually genuinely really really good other than the plot, and if you are playing sonic games for the plot you're probably too dumb to realize that the plot is bad in the first place

the dangan ronpa games are powerfully, painfully stupid and it is really bizarre to me how a third tier visual novel where the big reveal is haha the world has been destroyed for over a year and you lost your memories because of magic science and the girl that died instantly was secretly the villain because of ~~reasons~~ got as immensely popular as it did

the actual murder-solving bits are really cool and the trial minigames are fun ways to deal with the accusations and stuff but the overarching plot is so bad i think i got brain damage from it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

My unpopular opinion is that I don't give a poo poo about the PS4 except that it had bloodborne

Isn't that every Japanese game though

no there's like four good ones, like, y'know, bloodborne has a pretty cool plot, and i think between the five of them there's probably a good plot in the MGS series somewhere

but dangan ronpa's plot is really worse than most japanese anime stuff by far, it's like they kept adding all these little mysteries as the game went on and then realized "oh poo poo we forgot to put answers to any of this in" at the end, writing a total rear end-pull of a plot about literal evil robot teddy bears taking over the planet under the control of a teen girl fashion model...in a murder high school mystery story. its really no wonder that the forums are so much worse now, after we got such a huge influx of nerds from that game's LP

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Huh I didn't know that "Metal Gear: Phantom Pain is really good" was an unpopular opinion. But there is mine, apparently!

uh i don't think anyone said that it wasn't really good, did they?

it was really good

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

There are two posts on this very page calling it a "terrible game" and a "huge letdown".

huh i missed those and thought you were talking about my post re: japanese game plots, carry on

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

But unless you recognize the plot as being a satire of the grim-n-gritty, tacticool, REAL modern warfare genre you will become autistic.

here's a hot take: most gamers are like, incapable of recognizing even the most blatant satire. like far cry 3 is the least subtle game i've ever seen and yet so many people are like "uh this white dude sure is killing a lot of poor people..." like it's not intentionally hosed up

mgsv was really the same way, it was like so much of it was straight-up designed to troll both the kind of people that buy it for the tacticool aesthetic and the kind of people that memorize every tiny detail of plot from the series. i mean it was an mgs game with a mandatory - yet completely useless - character creator, an "iDroid" holographic smartphone in the 80's, and F2P-esque cooldown timers on so much Mother Base stuff, and yet you had a bunch of people frothing at the mouth about a bunch of stuff without having any idea that its taking the piss

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bioshock 1 was always terrible, even at launch, and Bioshock:Infinite owns to this day, and I get really annoyed when I share that opinion with someone and they laugh it off like I'm bandwagoning or something. gently caress off, Bioshock was awful and I gave away my PC copy to my roommate (because I could do that - it was on discs) after beating it in like three very disappointing days.

The biggest flaw in B:I's story, to me, is that the ending falls a little flat because Elizabeth doesn't seem to exist in the o.g. Bioshock Rapture and I don't think there's really any analogue for her. Shouldn't she be a huge, major part of the plot, just based on what we see in B:I?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Monster Hunter is garbage

Also this even though I keep buying these fuckin things every few years before remembering how poo poo they are. i'm sure i'm going to end up with the switch one when that comes out. luckily MH coming to a system seems to herald a bunch of actual good games

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Not SMT3; which is one of the many reasons it is the best.

also the version of SMT3 that i think most people ended up playing just has a random cameo of dante from devil may cry, because he's a cool dude, why wouldn't he be in this cool-rear end game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

phasmid posted:

I don't mind if a game steals a whole scene from a movie (if it's an action sequence), say, down to character-analogs and scenery. That is fantastic and I love when games do cinema right. Your last statement is what really brings it home for me. It's like, they'd take the ending of a great movie or some key plot point and shoehorn it so it's the equivalent of Mario slapping Peach around while she cries "My sister! My daughter!" and fans come all over themselves.

So yeah, we're in agreement I'd wager.

the intro to mega man legends (the best game of whatever year it came out) ends with a scene that is straight ripped off from Marty jumping onto the flying delorean in BttF2, it's an obvious homage but done in the cartoony style of the game and it's wonderful

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

unpopular opinion around here for some reason: the switch is cool af and i love that i can be chilling in a hammock in my yard with a fire and a beer and playing zelda

Haverchuck posted:

im going to play secret of mana on my nintendo on this holy sunday until i become bored

same except shovel knight, which is p good

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

souls games would genuinely be much, much better on handhelds so you're not tied to a tv for hours trying to murder a boss properly

like bloodborne and ds3 are real pretty but dark souls 1 would totally run on a vita or switch

hell, get real weird, go all the way back to demon's souls with hub worlds and poo poo

(also release the kings field games for pc/psn)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

what the gently caress am I even reading

opinions, about video games

it wasn't like some dense coded screed you dumb motherfucker

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

No need for name calling friendo. I understood what you were saying. But it's crazy

i'm not your friend you cockgobbling garbage fire of hobo semen and broken dreams

and it wasn't crazy, but it seems unpopular with stupid people such as yourself, so i posted it here

you leprous sack of irredeemable filth

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i can't believe anyone is arguing with space clown. he's too loving stupid to be a moridin rereg so where does that leave you guys ??

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Universe Master posted:

The development of regenerating health was overall a good thing because it allows for every encounter to potentially go full out and throw everything at you.

This is correct in theory but in practice it means devs don't actually design encounters anymore they just fling enemies at you.

There is definitely room for both systems, though, and regen games have saturated the market to the point where a new FPS without auto-regen automatically has a point in its favor from me not because it's better but because it's different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

bioware games are trash on a level that really outshines how trashy other trash video games are

their trademark is "romance options written by people who have never experienced romance, or indeed any other emotion towards another living being"