Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oooh Against the Storm is on sale right now on gog for $20. That might be what I do today

And Rimworld is 20% off too. If anyone's ever wanted to give that a try, the game's better than ever thanks to some free QOL improvements that were introduced alongside the new horror-themed DLC (which is also excellent). There was this expectation that the official Dwarf Fortress steam release was going to eat the game's lunch, but that didn't wind up happening, which I'm glad for because I really like having a scifi-themed colony builder game that's actually good

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Unless it's always-online garbage, you should be able to specify a previous version in the game's steam properties, check the updates tab

Most Steam games don't offer that as an option; the ones that do are basically hijacking the Betas tab to offer them, but that's a developer going above and beyond rather than something that's normal

The updates tab just lets you specify when you'll update, it doesn't let you select an older version or prevent updates entirely. But I feel like going Offline should let OP keep playing the version that they're on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TBLALV posted:

Rimworld has a ton of interesting stuff that I will never explore because I don't like playing mean people in video games

Yeah probably 80% of the mechanics in rimworld are warcrimes

But it's also a legit playstyle to just raise a family on your pot farm/muffalo ranch and I respect the game for having those kinds of options

e: In my most recent game a bunch of 11 year-olds showed up asking for beer that they were going to use to "save" their "friend" by getting the guards at a raider camp drunk

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 8, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I remember the evil ending of kotor being about ruling the galaxy with your billions of spaceships and hot Jedi wife

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The evil route of kotor also lavished you with praise from the cool assassinbot, a far better reward than the lame good guy outcomes which were all some variation of a grandma telling you what a good boy you are and offering you a candy from her pocket

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the methadone clinic stopped letting me in after I explained what my addiction really was (telling people that I hate Hades because the character portraits are too titillating)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

*nervously, into the eerie silence*

D-Dark...Dark Souls!

*the wind echoes back, soft, ethereal*

Discoooo Elyyyysium's writing suuuuuucks

WHH linking the first flame with this post lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Early Access came into existence when someone realized that beta testing is a thing that people actually enjoy doing and may be willing to pay for that privilege. And that's the truth; I beta tested a ton of poo poo as a kid and enjoyed all of it, I wouldn't have paid for any of it because I was a child but it's understandable that a bunch of MBA parasites in a board room would figure out how to prey on that nostalgia. If this was the 1990s Hades 2 "early access" would be something you apply for on a HTML page for free

One of the games I tested, Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor, was probably the oldest directly-traceable ancestor of DOTA and all games like it that I can think of - you were in the normal C&C isometric perspective but you controlled 1 unit, and you'd get upgrades (to things like health, armor, speed, damage, fire rate, etc.) by finding and picking up randomly spawning crates on the map, and it had a deathmatch mode and a CTF mode. Not truly a member of the MOBA genre but you can see clear expressions of several of the genre's most important genes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

emSparkly posted:

Minecraft just kinda sucks and bores the hell out of me.

Same

I played in the beta test however long ago that was, 15 years? Boring as gently caress. My 7 year old got obsessed with minecraft because he saw some pretty neat videos about it on YouTube, and then I bought him a copy and he tried playing it. That fascination wore off real fast. We tried a few mods but I think he's learning that the actual game isn't as fun and fast-paced as what he sees in a well-edited video

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There has never been a game so good that it was worth waiting in a line at midnight to buy it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kntfkr posted:

Or anything really. Lines are for idiots.

Nah, lines are a kind of cost and there are some things valuable enough for that cost to be worth paying; it would be worth waiting in line at midnight to receive a million dollars or to watch a livestream of Rush Limbaugh in hell getting his rear end filled with hot coals

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

now I want someone to post that picture of that dude pissing on Rush Limbaugh's grave.
Why did I not save that?

oh that's a good point, I'd wait in line at midnight to piss on Rush Limbaugh's grave yeah - like if for some reason that was the only time people were allowed to do it, per some weird loophole in his will, then sure let's go but not if it's something I can just do the next morning

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

MGS 2 in general has so much cool stuff in it. So many people wanted an awesome cool guy snake game and he didn't want to make that and instead made a totally unhinged game that pissed tons of people off.

it starts with one awesome cool guy snake, then you get another awesome cool guy snake, and then you have both of them and they team up for awhile and then there's a nude scene and uh i forget how the rest goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

Is that where that one goon's avatar comes from?

twin snakes lol