Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Devil May Cry is the dumbest goddamn game starring the worst loving character ever made up and no, the repetitive boss battles do not make up for or even distract you from the stupid cringy bullshit that happens in the cut-scenes.

Devil May Cry 3 is also bad except for that one scene where the evil clown beats up both of those insufferable jackasses and it's best to just turn it off at that part and pretend it's the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

IIRC regaining memories is tied primarily to intelligence? so if you wanted to play the game as a tank or any other non-intelligence focused RPG class you were hosed as far as the story goes lol, I might be wrong though

There's, like, a few places where high strength or high agility gives you new dialogue options, but yeah, not that many. Pretty much everyone plays it as high intelligence or high wisdom (high wisdom is pretty interchangeable with high intelligence in most places).

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Beyond Good and Evil isn't that great.

Yes, it's the safest "good game with a female protagonist" out of all of them. And it's just not all that amazing. The story is just really one-dimensional. I kept expecting a twist, and it never came. Do I really need to spend so much time proving that the very clearly evil totalitarian Empire wannabes are evil totalitarian Empire wannabes? The title is just completely inaccurate, since there's no moral ambiguity in this story at all.

Why is the main character some sort of magical alien chosen one? Why is that necessary? That's the sort of nonsense you throw into a game to explain the character's special gameplay-defining superpower. But Jade can't transform into mist, or throw people with her mind. She's just pretty physically fit, and has a camera. And there's just too much combat for a game that pretends that combat isn't the focus, too - and the combat itself is weak.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Oni was a really fun game. Despite being one of the first games to try and blend hand to hand combat, gunplay, stealth, and platforming all into one, it got it all working really well. Even though 90% of all games try to do that these days, most don't come close.

I don't know why it's so unknown. It can't just be how Anime it is, how crummy the writing was, or how it's a giant Ghost in the Shell ripoff. Being anime as hell, being poorly written, and/or being a blatant ripoff hasn't stopped other games.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 14, 2017

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Final Fantasy 10 is one of the better Final Fantasy games. Not the best, but definitely better than Final Fantasy 7.

Yes, the main character sucks. So what? The alcoholic sword-guy is cool and so is the blond kid's abusive dad.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Perromancer posted:

The Dead Space series is the best survival horror series of all time, pound for pound better than Resident Evil

Resident Evil is not survival horror because Resident Evil 4 wasn't, and it is the only good one.

Also I'm not trying to express an unpopular opinion, this is a pretty common opinion and also the truth.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The third Prince of Persia game (the Two Thrones) is really good, and better than Sands of Time.

Yes, that second game was a misstep, but Two Thrones brought it all together really well.

Though, also, Sands of Time had really good combat. I don't understand why people say it had bad combat. Every enemy was distinct, with a distinct silhouette, a very clear move set, and clearly exploitable weaknesses. None of them were a challenge one on one, but in large group fights, it all came together really well. Clearing a whole room because you properly exploited all of their weaknesses (from the right counter, to the right finishing moves, to hopping a sweep at the right time so the Big Guy knocks down all of his buddies but not you) felt awesome, and way better than hitting the whole crowd with the same AoE combo like in God of War.

The later games claim they made combat better, but really, they turned combat into a hacky-slashy mess. I can still remember the move set and right counters to the Sands of Time enemies, but every Two Thrones opponent was an indistinct pile of sharp edges that randomly flailed at you and you beat them by flailing right back.The boss fights were a great addition, the new platforming features were a great addition, platforming assassinations were neat, and somebody to talk back to the Prince during his talking-to-himself rants was an awesome touch. But the overall combat got way too mashy.

It wasn't until the Arkham Batman games that I ran into a game that made fighting a large group truly fun again.

Blurry Gray Thing fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 15, 2017

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Also, how the hell is "Starcraft 2 is bad!" an unpopular opinion?

The story mode is loving garbage, the new characters all suck, and the plot sucks, and the way they handle all the returning characters sucks, and it just sucks all around. It's clear that they had a way bigger focus on single player than the first game. It's not just a bunch of slapped together missions with some talking heads in between. There's a ship to walk around on, and some campaign-only units and even bits where you have to make a choice, but the story is vomit. It's like a gilded turd polished to a mirror shine.

I'm not really an RTS multiplayer expert, so I can't tell the difference, but I thought people didn't really like the multiplayer either. Something something bad balance something something first Starcraft is still better. I don't really know, but if that's true that just makes it a bad game with no redeeming qualities.

Blizzard need to just start hiring good writers like they hire good everything-else, instead of leaving it to people who are in charge of the story team because they've been with the company forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

WoW: Legion is the best WoW has been since the start of WotLK.

Agreed.

Even the writing improved.

Well, okay, everything about the winged blind idiot who is supposed to be the expansion's big hero is their usual garbage, but everything about those weird ET-looking crackhead Elves and their shiny city was an amazing experience from start to finish. I don't know who's responsible for it, but if there's any justice in this world those people will rise to replace Metzen now that he's gone.