Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The Room is the Dark Souls 2 of Silent Hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Das Butterbrot posted:

you put the disk image of sands of time into the dolphin emulator and play a good prince of persia

The dolphin game was tides of time

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vic posted:

I'm one step ahead and use Playnite which lets me integrate stuff like mod managers and emulators.

Speaking of which let's check my most played games:

Let's see your biggest factory

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

roomtone posted:

i literally went to see yamaoka play live and yes, it was cringe.

sorry, it just was. he had some corny singing lady doing all the vocal songs in english and he was yukking up every solo. i left after 30 minutes. it basically killed my love for silent hill.

don't go see akira yamaoka live.

You are even more cringe for even going to that concert or whatever the gently caress you're talking about

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, Demons Souls did that a whole 2 years earlier

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Then you play SimCity and you're like wtf where's the other team

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol, wrong thread, meant to reply to the xmen thread obviously.

many years late to the party but I played Slay the Spire tonight and it's pretty good. Put off playing this for ages despite getting it free on PSN god knows when - largely because of the terms 'card game' and 'roguelike', both of which make me assume a game sucks (despite loving loads of card-based games that aren't video games). I think Midnight Suns made me realise it's possible for a videogame to have card game stuff that I actually find fun.

Finished all three acts with the first two characters no problem but the third one... drat, I have no idea what I'm doing. Barely beat the first boss then died before the first rest point in the second act. Probably going to end up playing this whenever none of my friends are online for Helldivers.

Either lean heavy into Focus and build a power based deck with as many copies of Storm, Heatsinks, and White Noise as you can find (ideally with Mummified Hand), or toss Focus to the wind and make a fast cycling deck with Claw and Scrape. Take Seek and Reboot whenever you see them, no questions asked. Don't try to make a deck based on Darkness orbs.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Serephina posted:

There was a mmo like that, A Tale in the Desert? IIRC the grind was about fabbing materials to do player-assigned tasks, voting on them nightly, and politicking for laws.

No combat, and apparently it's still running today!

Lol I played that game way back in the day. The coolest thing I remember from it was how you could make statues out of whatever inventory items you had, and one of the main quests for character advancement was to make a statue that gets at least 30 upvotes from random passersby.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

No, the problem with FPS is it isn't a good representation of a body. We know our bodies and where things are in our environment without seeing them. We know where the ground is. We have peripheral vision. Our brains do tons of things so we aren't constantly crashing into things and our hands end up in the right spot. FP(anything) games do not do this well, at all. It is impossible to do, in fact. However, the third person view works fine because we can see the body on the screen doing the thing.

Of course I am being hyperbolic about first person. There are applications where it works just fine. Like The Witness, or to a lesser effect, Portal. Those things share something crucial in common: they are puzzle games where the movement isn't really "playing" the game. Portal has some puzzles where light movement is required, but those are few and far between.

I care more about feeling immersed as the player character in the game than I do about where my toes are

Also it's the only acceptable perspective for shootin, anything else either introduces an annoyance or a crutch

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 19, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Crash Bandicoot isn't even a 3D platformer. It's a 2D platformer that sometimes swaps X for Z.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

So you've got no sense of humour? K ignore list it is

don't do this john

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Boss Baby is the Dark Souls 2 of Dreamworks

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is it an MMOJRPG

I thought this is what FFXI was going to be, then it came out and it was just Everquest in terms of gameplay. Then FFXIV came out and it was just WoW. They were both better than the original Everquest/WoW, but an actual MMOJRPG would be pretty cool.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

There have only ever been 6 good MMOs

Ultima Online
Asheron's Call
Puzzle Pirates
City of Heroes
Final Fantasy 11
real old versions of Maplestory

Agreed except swap out Maplestory for Ragnarok Online

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
An FFXIV player telling you there's fun stuff in the endgame is like a Scientologist telling you someone brings in donuts on Wednesdays

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

jokes posted:

It has far more words than any book in existence

Pff, I doubt it even comes close to Fallout Equestria

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Open PVP was the only good thing about WoW

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Every time I pirate a game I mail an envelope full of skittles to one of the devs

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Computer touchers haven't unionized because the the money still flows freely in that sector. Paying a fee for the privilege of engaging in collective bargaining isn't usually at the front of your mind when there's an endless supply of companies climbing over each other to pay you six figs to sit on your rear end all day. This will change with time of course, but currently it's a seller's market.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Isn't the video game industry known for considering 60 hours a week "light" and actually publishing a game is a lot like playing Russian roulette with your job security?

Some AAA studios like Rockstar are like that. They actually contacted me for a release engineer position a few years ago, which I was fairly interested in, until the guy told me that 80 work weeks during crunch time are not atypical. :byewhore:

Boring, non-video game software is pretty chill though. As an extremely lazy person, it has my endorsement.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty sure people were spending an extra long amount of time in the BG3 character creator because of all the stat/feat/spell/class/etc options, not because they were goofing around with the sliders.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Unless it's always-online garbage, you should be able to specify a previous version in the game's steam properties, check the updates tab

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Hades 2 kicks rear end so far. The combat feels a lot more deliberate and less spammy, though it's still fast paced. They reworked they magic system so that it's used for all 3 of your attack types, just when you fully charge them, making each weapon feel a lot more dynamic than the ones from the first.

I sure can't wait for the rest of you joyless assholes to jump in and start complaining about the character portraits.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Early Access came into existence when someone realized that beta testing is a thing that people actually enjoy doing and may be willing to pay for that privilege. And that's the truth; I beta tested a ton of poo poo as a kid and enjoyed all of it, I wouldn't have paid for any of it because I was a child but it's understandable that a bunch of MBA parasites in a board room would figure out how to prey on that nostalgia. If this was the 1990s Hades 2 "early access" would be something you apply for on a HTML page for free

This makes it sound like people are paying extra for early access. You get the full game when it's ready, and you can play the unfinished version early if you want, at no extra cost. There's literally no downside for the customer.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Correction: you get the full game if it's ever ready.
there's no guarantee that any particular EA game will actually complete all their planned features, and the studio won't run out of money and collapse, pivot in a direction you hate, release a clearly unifinished "1.0" because they're tired and want to move onto the next thing, stall out at version 0.1 forever while the dev logs in once every 6 months to say "hey im still alive yall", etc
not a big fear for a studio with a good history like Supergiant at least.

I mean yeah, if you straight up don't have confidence in the developer to actually finish their game, that's one thing. I'm not expecting that to happen with Hades 2.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Minecraft 1.0 was released in 2011. The beta period only lasted about a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Notch, for all his dipshittery, actually created the thing he's famous for, while Musk has only ever invested in existing things and then taken credit for them. They both suck, but they're miles apart.