Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Younger sibling syndrome has taught me that video games are better watched with a friend than played, and it doesn't matter if it's mechanically sound if it's boring to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think life sim games are the dumbest thing. I want to be a shoot mans, or a pilot, or a treasure hunter or something. I don't know why the most popular mods for games (outside of anime titties) is always a survival mod. Cool, I get to pause the game because my character needs a snack or piss or something.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

my mate was talking about a mod for skyrim that makes it so you have to wear furs and start fires to stay warm or hide in caves while blizzards are going on. He loved it. I cannot see the point in having to literally sit around in a cave doing nothing waiting for a video game to allow me to go and do the next bit where I smash a monster in the face.

I actually installed that mod to see what the fuss is about since it was always rated as a top mod. I even gave it like a few hours, before realising that no, this poo poo is tedious as gently caress.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What Remains of Edith Finch was amazing. So was The Stanley Parable. And The Beginner's Guide.

Walking sims are awesome.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Core Mario games are awesome. Have any of them sucked? I mean like the SNES, M64, Sunshine, etc.

Also I want to play Gone Home, seems cool to me. I am A Gay though :v:

Also a surprisingly good walking sim is Soma. Play on easy or whatever it is and have the monsters be harmless. Great game that oozes atmosphere.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am a bigger fan of games like Finch where you go forwards and see the environment and stuff. I am not as big a fan of puzzle based walking sims because I can be a bit slow because my brain kind of shuts off during video games.

Basically, I like video games that are cool and neat and require no mental energy. Sick puzzles that take thinking are the worst.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Boss fights where you absolutely whoop the boss' rear end and then straight after is a cutscene where they kick your rear end immediately can gently caress right off.

Like the boss fight starts, "grr I will destroy you!" Proceed to beat them senseless, feeling assured that they have nothing on you.
Cue cutscene where they throw the party around like toys and mock them as never being able to stand up to them and poo poo.

gently caress the illusion that you get a say. Why even have the boss fight be beatable? Doesn't make loving sense.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
As someone who plays Pokemon trading cards on the internet, sometimes opening random packs of stuff is fun. Sometimes. Not all the time.

I mean, it helps when the game is designed around that mechanic, and it's not shoehorned in purely to prolong the life of the game or push people to pull out their wallets again and again.

Also I have spent money on pokemon, I am a hypocrite. Just throwing that out there so you know I have no stock.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like playing Pokemon sometimes (buy XY was the last one I bought) and the card game app is a fun time waster. I dunno, I see a poo poo tonne of awful games available for time wasting that either suck worse or end up microtransacting to a much higher price.

Graphics suck tho. Like at first I was like oh poo poo the Legends thing has actual grass! Then I realised that for no other company is that an achievement at all.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Been playing Borderlands 2. Interestingly I have the opposite of my usual opinion.

99% of the time I watch others play and don't play myself. So of course in that scenario I care about story, characters, acting and so on.

Turns out when I like playing a game I don't give a gently caress about your characters or story, gimme dudes to shoot.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
No Man's Sky is a really good chill simulator now. It's got like Pokemon and aliens and poo poo and the game just looks way nicer and better. Also the base building and poo poo can be completely ignored if you want.

Part of me wonders if they had postponed the release to now would anyone care tho? Like probably a decently successful game but I actually think the crappy launch and then transforming it has weirdly bought more good will than a good launch ever would have.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I played it and found something cool would there be a way for others to go see that cool thing based on IDK co-ordinates or something? I have no idea how the game works.

I think you want this!
https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Portal_address

I'm having a blast just zipping wherever through stations and player bases. It's fun to just see the sites in the game since they improved the generation algos.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Cyberpunk is a pretty game, but an average as gently caress game. It will be a Good Game if they keep up development and add poo poo they should have had in and just improve the experience in general.

But my money is on bare minimum "upgrades" and fixes, and then abandoned, only for it to happen again with Cyberpunk 3092: It Works This Time, Promise.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Persona 5 Royal was an amazing experience. I was just watching so I took a lot of naps but I'm sure all of it held up the same. Definite 10/10.

Also I like Bethesda games just because no one really does the same thing. Outer Worlds tried to wholesale copy and it was okay. I never finished it.

But everyone says that there's better RPGs than Skyrim or Morrowind etc, and there are, but they aren't a better Elder Scrolls. I wasn't indoctrinated as a kid, I just played them and went hey I like how this plays and that was it. And nothing really does it the same. The games are buggy, ugly and often poorly written. They get dumbed down in each generation. But unless you can point me to another game that will scratch the Bethesda itch and not a general "better WRPG" itch I will always like those games.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Fallout 3 was pretty fun at the time. New Vegas was apparently good too (never played it). I played a bit of 4. Got to the part where they introduced bases and got bored. Never played the others. Seems like an okay setting? Never got the massive appeal honestly.

In summary, Fallout is a land of contrasts.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You've played all the worst non-spinoff ones, so.

I'm sure the others are better, but brown and post apocalyptic is honestly not an interesting setting. Like wow, we blame the Chinese for this one instead of the Russians, and we call them Ghouls instead of zombies. Really engaging stuff.

Also I'm watching a friend play the Kingdom Hearts right now. I like it, in the same way I like The Room or Plan 9 From Outer Space.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not poo poo posting for once. Persona 5 is a great game. I enjoyed the characters, the writing and the atmosphere. The art style is anime but seemed to have its own flair, although I don't really watch or care for much anime, cause anime.

But holy poo poo they couldn't hurt it by cutting like thirty loving hours. Especially in the Royal edition. Like gently caress me, you can only seemingly hit the ending so many times before it gets tiresome. Even cutting 30 hours would make it a Long As gently caress Game(TM).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

You enjoyed the characters? You mean the 23 marginally different flavours of waifu?

Honestly yeah, but in fairness I didn't actually play the game, I just sort of watched it as a friend played. Seemed pretty decent. Nice change from America McShootymans. It was a story about teenagers saving people's hearts in a magical world, I just sort of rolled with it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Every time some nerd tries to analyse a video game like an art house movie or literature my eyes gloss over and I just see and hear colours, and not in a good way.

Mm yes, you can see by Shooty McStrongmans armour that he represents the moral ineptitude of the blah blah blah.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love having two monitors but pretty much entirely for productive stuff. Whenever I try to game and watch something I end up doing one or the other, whichever is more interesting. I don't see the appeal in being overwhelmed with media honestly.

But I'm a weirdo who plays video games almost always with no audio. And I don't play music while I game usually.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think 2 hours is plenty of time to figure out if you gel with a game or not. Hell, most people make the decision in minutes. That, plus reviews will usually say "it sucks at first but then gets good".

Whenever I see people online wanting refunds because they played for ten hours and then decided it sucked I always wonder if it was a game that vastly evolves over time in a way they didn't like. Instead it's usually a Shootymans or something where you know in seconds whether you vibe. Just because you didn'tt like the end or it didn't live up to expectations doesn't mean you didn't get time and gameplay from it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Tangential to games themselves, the gently caress is up with video game bloggers (I think they prefer journalists?) and their constant making up poo poo for future games?

It's some schoolyard, Nintendo Uncle, Mew truck bullshit. Right now everyone is going apeshit at all the TOTALLY REAL indications of where and what the new GTA is going to be. You see this with every major upcoming game and I just don't understand it.

"You see, Vice City was in the 80s, then 4 was LC, 5 is SA, so obviously we are due for an 80s GTA again."

My theory is the new GTA is set in space and is actually a farming simulator. I make this theory because of vague indicators that tell me what I want to hear. Until the game is announced and released it is 100% just as valid.

Game blogging is a loving joke.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's pretty rare I even bother getting games on release. Lord knows there's other games I have that I haven't really played so I'm not in a rush. If I play it now vs a year later it doesn't really matter. Besides patches etc it's not often that a game magically goes great to awful with no intervention.

The opposite happens sometimes tho, so I guess another point to waiting.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I bought Cyberpunk shortly after release.

I enjoyed it. It'll be cool if they fix and improve it. I won't be bothered if they don't.

It's not a super awesome game, but I've spent more of worse. And keeping me occupied for like 20 hours is fine for a videogame in my opinion.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
New proposal: video game console monopoly. No one has to worry about exclusives because there's only one platform!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Maybe in the past it was a bad idea but the modern social media discourse has made it pretty evident gamers these days have very strong opinions on the quality of their games, and I don't think they'll happily let quality slip even if they allow for a monopoly to form.

Do y'all even read reddit?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I briefly wondered if someone could make a proper go off of being a vtuber but instead of being a cutesy anime just having a standard flash cartoon person but they're actually interesting and funny?

And then I realised that's not how any of this works.

I figured it out myself, y'all. I demand points.

PS: the best final fantasy is Pokemon Diamond.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Imagine having to pay someone just to say your name. That's not really funny, just kind of sad :(

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've seen a bit of Trails of Cold Steel and besides standard anime poo poo like young girl with mystery dangerous past etc, I was kind of surprised by the writing.

It's still videogame writing but the characters seemed oddly... not dumb as gently caress? Like usually when you see a videogame story you're like "and no characters pointed out this obvious thing for what reason exactly?"

But they kept pointing out the obvious things. It's sad that my bar for good writing has gotten that low, but there you have it. I am now looking forward to goons explaining how poo poo/anime it gets.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Serious Sam 2 was the best one.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Waluigi and the Unwanted Erection

edit: this isn't fanfiction.com

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is not a shitpost. The reason every "moral" choice in games boils down to "be a saint" versus "strangle the nuns and burn the orphans" is because people can't really handle that poo poo in games. Yeah, maybe they could, but I very highly doubt people playing Wizard Warrior 3 or Space Shooters Part Two want a system that makes them question their own intentions.

Existential crisis doesn't usually sell gangbusters. So they leave anything like that to the indie devs.

Recently in this thread people were talking about making decisions based on rewards. So I don't think people are wanting real moral and ethical choices in games.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Star Citizen is paving the way for all video game companies. Goons don't want to admit it but CIG and RSI and HDDVD are the way of the future.

You think every video game developer isn't looking at Star Citizen going "gently caress they don't even have a game and people love that poo poo!" You're wondering why games keep getting released half finished at best and DLC and poo poo is required to make it halfway acceptable. It's because the chicken poo poo loving developers admire CIG but don't have the balls to try and pull off that level of power move.

We're gonna get to the point that gamers won't be playing games any more, they'll just be playing promises of games. Cyberpunk almost did it but they got scared and released something at the last minute. gently caress that. gently caress releasing anything real. Release some bit piece demos to keep the dream alive and nothing else but promises and lore.

You're fools if you think a few Call of Duty's down the line they aren't gonna be showcasing some basic rear end shooting and a couple guns but promising an entire living world that will absolutely make you as valid as a real solider. Just keep funding that dream. This is technology as it is meant to be made and used.

Either that or Star Citizen is a scam, and we all know which scenario is more likely :smug:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

spaceblancmange posted:

I played Control and it was ok.

I totally get this, I know a lot of peeps who didn't find it that amazing.

I did tho, so I won that. Jessie was a great protagonist and without hamming up the writing did a great job of knowing as much as the player: gently caress all.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Vigilante 8 was one of the few good car games.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Bubsy was superior to Sonic.

There, I said it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I miss old single player games, especially RPGs, that gave no fucks about balancing by the end. The numbers were in line, everything checked out. But once you got to the end game you could break it and the game was totally chill. Because let's face it, if you're a wizard or something and you can modify poo poo why would you not break the system if you could?

There was an old rear end dungeon crawler called Morder: Depths of Dejenol. It ruled. Extremely difficult game but once you got momentum you could make your character(s) quite badass. It could get ridiculous but it was just fun anyway.

I'm tired of every game being like "no, even tho story wise you're a god or whatever we have to keep the numbers sensible or the enemies always on par!"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah honestly the more I think about the more it annoys me. Like, what, even tho you're supposed to have superpowers or you're a wizard or a god or what the gently caress ever amazing person you're meant to be, things have to be sensible and (the worst) enemies have to always be a challenge?

I get that games are better generally when there's balance. But drat it, if I play a game for like 60+ hours and I never feel like the amazing hero I'm meant to be then it just feels poo poo. No matter how much your character gets better it doesn't matter because the random henchmen are still challenging.

I want a game that gives you options that break the game in a fun way. Like gently caress it, sure, build your character right and you can zip around and teleport and lift things with your mind or whatever because it's been sixty hours and I don't want a loving challenge any more, I wanna throw minions around like loaves of stale loving bread.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I feel like there's definitely balance in the whole power balancing thing in games. My personal opinion probably falls more along the lines of numbers can be fine and balanced but if a player wants to take the time to figure out a build that works so well for them that they can exploit it who cares.

This is largely why I singled out single player games. Alright keep the numbers good. But let's say a player can, through planning or whatever, get skill A which is balanced, and skill B which is also balanced. But combined they produce an effect or technique that is really powerful. I honestly don't see why that is a problem. Like who cares, you're playing by yourself. If it's so broken don't take it or use it the broken way.

Balance is important and good. But not everything has to be perfectly balanced, and I'd rather more unbalanced but fun things than perfectly balanced and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I actually like hearing people tell small stories about their recent gaming moments, whether vidja or tabletop. It's dorky and adorable. It's only when they want to only talk about games or tell the entire plot to the game that it goes from charming to atrocious.