Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Some unpopular video game opinions:

-Arkham Origins was easily the best game of the Arkham series but it's not without its faults
-Hellgate London was a pretty fun game and should have stuck around longer than it did
-Bioshock failed at being a spiritual successor to System Shock in delivering atmospheric, character-driven RPG horror by being almost none of those things, i mean it was at least atmospheric but it went another way with it; that series is now at its best when its direction is wrapped around punching down at fringe politics like it's baby's first satire instead of trying to be spooky
-Dragon Age 2 was actually pretty drat good, it could even have been a ~*genre elevating*~ game had it not been a rushjob that had every seam frayed and showing
-AOE2 was really good for its time but it was surpassed within in its own series by both Age of Mythology and Age of Empires 3; it was surpassed within a generation by other titles like Rise of Nations
-The actual best RTS of all time was World in Conflict imho
-The actual story, and not just the lore, of Dark Souls 1 was really good
-Dark Souls 2's lore was just as good as DS1's, i think people just disliked stepping down from dealing with the creation myth of the setting to only dealing with some scrub kingdoms' background

but the most unpopular video game opinion i have is:
- i will not call my opinions objectively true nor will i call you an idiot for disagreeing with me, i will respect your opinions and ideas on this silly little pastime too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bag em and tag em posted:

My god man.... my god...

i know, i know :(
i won't even insinuate that you have a mental illness if we strongly disagree on something either :smith:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

FFX was pretty good yeah but the last game in the FF series was 9, after that it was just some other series wearing a hollow FF fleshmask

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

basic hitler posted:

dawn of war 1 is really good. Dawn of War 2 was an exercise in "what if we just fukken copied warcraft 3 and axed basebuilding and basically macro actions alltogether lmao?"

dow2 had lite base building but it was mostly done outside the base when you had to take & build power nodes and hold req points, i preferred that style over regular base building because it it encouraged confrontation and aggressiveness to the point where like nobody whined about rushes or raids

they could have expanded on that and put more depth into it tho

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I think one of the reasons RTS's are so unpopular lately is because they are just so challenging that it creates anxiety. Also that they are largely centered around 1v1's is an issue because the number 1 response for a losing gamer is "blame teammates".

In the cold 1v1 ladder of SC2 ladder, you come face to face with your innermost flaws...

:agreed:

some people take RTS losses too personally, like a loss questions their intelligence or something and they might not be able enjoy a losing game like you might a losing fps match where you could still have fun killing a few chumps before going down

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SpaceClown posted:

the fact that there is an optimal "initial plan" thats more than the opening moves to the game is exactly why starcraft is a pathetic strategy game.

that's largely the reason why i'd like to see more changes in how RTSes handle base building because you might as well automate the opening moves if there's such a narrow set of optimal moves that it requires a strict flowchart & timetable - you're already basically an AI yourself if you have to follow those instructions to the letter w/o much thought

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That was my point, there is no strategy or innovation involved, there is a defined set of "viable" builds and each one has an equally well-described counter to it and you either do it better than them or not. It all comes down to rock paper scissors in the end and there's no strategy involved in that.

there are certain levels of play where you can get by using a set but powerful build order to make an overwhelming army that wins just by using an optimized spreadsheet but things fall apart when the enemy understands scouting, disruption, passage of play, terrain and knows the strengths and weaknesses of the strategy you've had to double-down on

it's like the equivalent of the fps dude that uses the best guns and perks who camps in a tricky spot down a busy hallway, like all multi-player games have a meta where someone can marginally succeed at middle levels by doing things not in the spirit of the match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I strongly agree although DoW2 was good?

:same:

instead of aping other RTSes and getting out-competed by twitchier franchises it did its own hybrid thing in 2009 and i respect that

phasmid posted:

There are a few exceptions, of course, but yeah I'd agree with Carmack on that one, which segues neatly into this...

"Story" in a videogame is usually just a tatterdemalion of stuff jacked from novels and movies. This often starts of as pastiche (Mass Effect 1, Fallout 3) but fans - who largely do not read books meant for adults - experience the plot twist or the horrible reveal and think WOW SO ORIGINAL..

i generally agree re: game stories but when you do enough reading and you realize almost everything's been done before anyway you can sometimes loop back around to appreciating the little spins that get put on old ideas, nonetheless you'll still detest it when whole blocks of ideas are recycled wholesale