Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
MGS 5 is the best metal gear because it has the best gameplay. The story matters zero because all video game stories are bad. It, and all other MGS are best played by skipping the story. Which makes the other Metal Gear games 2-hour demos for a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Space Crabs posted:

The Stanley Parable is as stupid if not more stupid than the people that like it

playing Hearthstone is sadder than playing WoW, which is somehow upstaging a crying orphan in a concentration camp that had to eat her emaciated puppy to survive 20 minutes before everyone was released by American soldiers.

What would you compare watching hearthstone on twitch to

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Pick posted:

oh wow, the scull betrayed the purple guy. should i throw him into a hole? no, because i'm not this purple guy, so i don't really care

very expensive!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Awesome Welles posted:

for real, for all the times I've seen it listed as "one of the best games ever!!!!" people seem to have forgotten that not only is there not much of a "game" there, but what is playable is clunky and slow and boring as gently caress, if you're going to have that much reading for even just basic things that could otherwise be accomplished with the bare minimum of character animations then gently caress it, make a text adventure

IIRC regaining memories is tied primarily to intelligence? so if you wanted to play the game as a tank or any other non-intelligence focused RPG class you were hosed as far as the story goes lol, I might be wrong though

This is all true but if you still want to play it then one pro tip is to set the combat difficulty to easy and let auto-combat win everything automatically while you tune out because the combat is bad

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Blue Raider posted:

deus ex invisible war was not, in fact, cancer of the anus

it was an OK but the areas were too small as a concession to console gamers same with thief 3 :smug:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Beyond Good and Evil isn't that great.

Yes, it's the safest "good game with a female protagonist" out of all of them. And it's just not all that amazing. The story is just really one-dimensional. I kept expecting a twist, and it never came. Do I really need to spend so much time proving that the very clearly evil totalitarian Empire wanna-bes are evil totalitarian Empire wannabes? The title is just completely inaccurate, since there's no moral ambiguity in this story at all.

Why is the main character some sort of magical alien chosen one? Why is that necessary? That's the sort of nonsense you throw into a game to explain the character's special gameplay-defining superpower. But Jade can't transform into mist, or throw people with her mind. She's just pretty physically fit, and has a camera. And there's just too much combat for a game that pretends that combat isn't the focus, too - and the combat itself is weak.

gay mer gate

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I really like Fallout 4, but do admit that the crafting system is a pain in the rear end unless you use the console to cheat in some resources. I refrained from doing it until I had so much cash that I could buy shipments of everything, and just saved myself time by not having to wait for merchants to restock every time I needed more. Planning to do another play through in the near future, and this time I plan to cheat from the getgo.

there is no reason for crafting to exist in 99% of games in which crafting exists

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
any kind of blur (motion blur, depth of field) sucks rear end and never makes games more immersive, that's not how human perception works

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Maya Fey posted:

those emulate camera effects not human perception and the worst is by far chromatic aberration which looks like complete dogshit in every game it's been implemented

Exactly, why the gently caress are you trying to make your game look like a movie? I want it to look/feel as close as possible to IRL, not a movie ffs

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Zorodius posted:

Most rendering gimmicks (blur, lens flares, chromatic aberration, etc.) are cool and the vast majority of gamers like them.

maybe if not being able to see poo poo because everything is blurred and distorted feels normal to you, you shouldn't have masturbated so much as a teenager

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

literally shaking

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

-Full voice acting is the worst thing to ever happen to RPG's.

-I actually like Planescape: Torment's gameplay. The art, however, is absolutely terrible and ruins all of the weird/wonderful stuff that happens in the dialogue. Spikes, blades, comically large tits all over the place, and the 3D character models are really bad.

-I put ketchup on my steak. Whoops, wrong "unpopular things" thread.

WHO R U TO UNEQUIVOCALLY CLAIM THAT PLANAR HUMANS DON'T LOOK LIKE SEX DOLLS

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

the series was already dead. they just reanimated the corpse and pumped it full of crack and lsd and let it do its own thing

4 can't be blamed for everyone having such a good time they kept trying to capture that lightning in a bottle.

i mean poo poo, the game starts with umbrella already fallen and then we plummet into a hilarious b-movie rabbit hole of cheesy dialogue, pedo-bait, and horrific violence/gore. its a game that is so successful because it knows its played out so it takes the viscerally self-aware route and it actually works. i don't think they ever could have repeated what made re4 work so drat well.

5 was one of the biggest disappointments in gaming to me though. 4 was formative for me, so i was beyond excited for 5. 5 was…well, its best not to talk about it.

5 was fine, I'm sorry you play games for the movie that comes packaged with them. 5 might have come packaged with a worse movie, but as a game, 5 is just as good as 4. 6 is where they hosed up

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

5 had worse gameplay. forced co-op and the worst inventory management system ever resulted in a terribly inferior product. plus there was virtually no depth to the world/characters to draw you in. it all felt stale and boring

it was bad.

lol, you don't have any friends to play with and you still can't let go of the fact that video game stories are all bad and don't matter

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

the entire resident evil series is about a million times overrated and has been complete garbage from start to finish

I disagree, they made a couple of decent third person shooters in 4 and 5. The rest of the series is complete garbage.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

the story in re4 was bad, but fun which made it enjoyable to play. it wasn't riveting or something i wish to see taught in classrooms around the country. it was just fun.

sorry your friends are all dumb enough to think re5 was a good game.

its whatever though man. glad you enjoyed what is universally considered to be a disappointing game. this is the unpopular opinions thread and you are welcome here.

You don't play stories, hope this helps

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

what about choose your own adventure books?

If people would admit that story-based RPGs have more in common with CYOA books than video games I would be very happy

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

i feel like video games are a combination of gameplay and storytelling, both of which can be important to the overall quality of a game. in addition, games where the gameplay feels like acting out a story or participating in one (like a child on a playground).

i guess i just disagree that you can't play a story, though at this stage we are well away from the re franchise.

i think about games like empire: total war where its just a game that takes place "in history" but the gameplay creates the story of your selected and surrounding nations. you can create the story of the poland that conquered europe and india with literally no "story part" of the game. i hesitate to bring up dark souls, but there is very little story telling in that, but it still feels like you're playing and creating your own story. me2 gives that feeling as well, though much more tightly managed way, where you thought your choices could impact how the story would play out.

No, video games are gameplay. People shove film and literature into them because they don't have the creativity to fully embrace the medium they are working in, and have to resort to others.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Aerith dies

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
fart in the chair to win

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
6 sucks because they took away weapon upgrading which was one of the most fun systems in 4 and 5

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

site posted:

The re4 control setup is literally the re1-3 controls only the camera is different and when you aim you have a stick, I think is what they mean

Yes, it turns out when the camera is always facing the same direction that your character is, "press forward to move in the direction your character is facing" makes a lot more sense, you miserable pedant

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

VideoTapir posted:

Ever played the original Postal?

Yeah it was also a bad game. Of course I liked it because it was edgy and I was like 12 but it's a bad game

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Misogynice Job! posted:

3D Bethesda RPGs are at best okay and at worst unplayable messes.

The majority of Bethesda RPG gameplay is literally hiking, a reasonably accessible activity in real life.

Most of the time the landscapes you hike over aren't even futuristic or magical, just go to a national park lol

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Solar Tornado posted:

That requires preparations and poo poo like having enough water and food, and knowing where you're going, and having first-aid if you get hurt, and plenty of other logistical crap. gently caress that noise

Unrelated - my favorite types of games are the ones with survival/logistic elements a la Fallout New Vegas and Darkest Dungeon.

Yeah but it increases Athletics skill

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Mandrel posted:

oh yeah, eSports aren’t loving sports. seriously more power to these dorks for figuring out how to get people to pay to watch them play video games but know it is loving weird and they are not loving athletes

it is somehow weirder to me than professional let’s players, where there’s at least some performative personality aspect to it, where the person is actually doing something to warrant watching beyond just sitting and playing a video game.

what about chess

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

AutumnDDP posted:

The New Super Mario Bros games are mediocre platformers at best. They're actually probably a little below average tbh; this is coming from someone who's played perhaps thousands of 2D platformers. I played NSMB1, NSMB2, and NSMBWii. The fact that so many professional reviewers rate these game highly has created a huge distrust of all game reviewers for me.

On a more positive note, if you want a great modern 2D platformer then try Freedom Planet or Sonic Mania.

Gamergate should have aready created a huge distrust of all game reviewers for you.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I can't believe consoles are finally gonna die holy poo poo

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Magnitogorsk. posted:

A video game shouldn't have more than 15 minutes of cinematics throughout the entire game

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
As a person who's not particularly interested in Subnautica, buthas heard a bunch about it through internet gamer osmosis, thaat post is literally the first negative thing I've ever read about Subnautica, so I don't think they're destroying any goodwill.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean I'm extremely hesitant to spend money on the sequel specifically because of it, as are several people I've talked to who played it. You don't have to look hard, there's a Subnautica thread in Games and there's no shortage of people talking about how buggy the game can be, as well as mods specifically designed to fix broken things that the devs never bothered fixing.

Maybe I should have specified, in that case I meant they were destroying goodwill with people who played it and were considering the sequel. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game, but this is a list of bugs compiled by 1 person, from the 1.0 (aka "we are out of early access and consider the game complete") release.

Hell, it's a year and a half after the 1.0 release and AFAIK there's still memory leak issues and massive framerate dips even on high-end systems.

e: it's a great game and deserves praise but it's broken as gently caress and that's not exactly a big secret
I guess I was just being contrarian for no reason because the goodwill of myself and other people who have no interest in Subnautica doesn't really matter

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Legin Noslen posted:

If your hands dont get a little clammy every now and then playing vidjagaems then maybe you should cut off your hands and donate them to science because you are a freak and deserve nothing but scorn.

See you at the party, Richter!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
kojima is bad at his job and any fun in his games is despite him not because of him

has he ever given an interview that was about making a game fun to play or gameplay loops or anything like that? It's always about grand concepts that he thinks make him look smart and make his games worse

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Vakal posted:

Kojima would be better if he just reigned himself in a little during the planning phases.

For example:

- Introduce bi-pedal tanks that can support infantry with their high mobility - Great idea.

- Give these walking tanks realistic style legs made out of synthetic muscles, thus blurring the line between machine and organic - Also a great idea.

- Make them moo and poop like cows. - Whoops, one step too far.

Strategic Tea posted:

Only Kojima could come up with such groundbreaking creative writing such as

- A blonde woman in a red dress singing spookily
- A female lead who is the abused partner of the baddie
- Smart British guy???
- Comic relief fat guy?????
- gently caress Hollywood forever

Yeah see none of these things have anything to do with making a game that people play

I get the distinct impression that he's like Elon Musk -- a megalomaniac ideas guy that has some very good peoe working in his shadow that make him look good despite himself

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Bioshock has never been an immersive sim. It's always been a just setpiece corridor shooter with rpg-lite powers

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

Bioshock 1 and 2 have one of the best environmental aesthetics around and the enemies are very very cool and creepy. I wish the gunplay was better and that the story went somewhere more satisfying.

Yeah and all those aesthetics are force fed to you in carefully choreographed sequences connected by very clear linear paths. It's not possible to get lost in Bioshock 1, and I'm stopping my playthrough of 2 because I've played a lot of really good immersive sims in the intervening years and it just doesn't scratch that itch at all

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

je1 healthcare posted:

Yeah I think that's more of a consequence of anonymous online chatrooms than the hobby they're attached to. You wouldn't expect MLP communities, K-pop fandoms and anonymous crypto chatrooms to have bigotry problems, but if you go diving in random chatrooms it's there. And somehow sports are more embraced by mainstream culture despite having a fanbase and industry figures that are several magnitudes more toxic and bigoted.

Ironically, industry data itself says that self-described "gamers" are more likely to be low-income minorities than people who play games but deny the "gamer" label.

Did you just do a whataboutism of sports to defend the honor of gamers lmao

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

It doesn't matter if its linear, its still neat. Most games are linear and there are a lot of games that are open ended and crappy. The game has an visual style and sound design that nobody has really pulled off since. Its not a perfect game but I don't regreat playing through it. Its clearly not an immersive sim like Prey is and doesn't really try to be. That doesn't stop the Big Daddies and the splicers from looking awesome.

I don't know why you want to get lost in a video game, getting lost sucks.

But everyone puts it on the same category as Prey, why? As said, people claim that Bioshock was an appropriate spiritual successor to system shock and then Infinite simplified it down to a shooter, but the step from SS 2 to Bioshock was already most of the way there

Getting lost in purpose rules and is the entire point of immersive sims

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

People are just stupid and love to poo poo on it in the context of Prey and Thief but it really doesn't have much to do with them as far as gameplay design goes. Its just a slow paced shooter and it gives you a lot of stuff to look at in the levels but mostly fails as a shooter. it succeeds in a lot of ways that people outright ignore.

Getting lost isn't the point of Immersive Sims, exploring is a big part of it but if you're actually getting lost in a game then something has gone wrong with the design and you didn't make your levels properly. Thief 1 and 2 even give you a map when you enter the levels.

Where do people poo poo on Bioshock? In the unpopular video games opinions thread maybe? Everywhere else it gets unequivocal acclaim, part of which is an unearned characterization as a pillar of a genre it's not part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Meme Poker Party posted:

Same except instead of only having the player level just remove levels entirely.

Nah, it loving rules having places that are below and above your level. Love making headway into an area you're not supposed to go to yet, but also love saving an area for later and destroying it when you're OP. Unless you suggest powering up via equipment only a la STALKER in which case that's just a semantic argument IMO. Dynamic leveling sucks.