Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

Tosk posted:

I will generously extend my unpopular videogame opinion to "the Shining Force duology were the best Genesis games" if it will make you happy

I tried to play SF3 on an emulator once after a translation patch came out and gave up almost immediately, I often wonder if it was any good. Shining Force was pretty much my introduction to RPGs and cemented me as a strategy RPG lover

sf3 is good but it's got far too much boring dialogue, especially upfront. i've only completed scenario 1, actually had it on the saturn. my saturn was broke and wiped its data when you turned it off so we left the game on for weeks at a time. played sc2 and a bit of 3, more of the same stuff so there's load of it if you can get into it.

the battle system is the same as 2 with extra features like unit friendship etc, and it's got a lot of good secrets as you go along. going back to linearity after 2 is a bit of a downgrade, but on the plus side the game is more consistently challenging than 2 which even on the hardest setting is a cakewalk except for about 3 battles.

it's a shame that series died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

outer wilds is very very good, one of the most creative games i've ever played, there is literally nothing like it

i didn't like it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

gaming perspectives ranked

1st: any perspective except isometric
last place: isometric

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

obviously bird's eye view is a whole different situation

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

It's cursed by its own success.

Everyone who looked at the trailer and thought "Holy poo poo this is exactly my jam" bought it asap, but word of mouth has brought in people who'd have never given it a second glance and loudly complain that it's not appealing to them in particular.

this is a good point and has convinced me i shouldn't bother playing it. i have tried games like it before and didn't really like any of them. i was considering buying it because people keep saying how good it is and in my head i must have thought 'well this must be the good one of all these kinds of games, this will be the one i enjoy' but i almost definitely won't because i don't like those kinds of games.

i've been trying other genres of games than i normally would and giving things a chance that i never really did and it turns out that about 75% of the time, i wasn't missing anything at all. sometimes i do, but i can live with that because there are other things to do than play games.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I always :rolleyes: at people insisting you should play Like A Dragon with subtitles instead of the English dub. The English dub has some of the best voice acting work I’ve seen in a game in general and there’s a bunch of moments at the end of the game that just wouldn’t land half as well if I was reading subtitles and missing all the emotion the VA’s managed to get into the lines.

I dunno. I played it with subtitles and I think I got all the emotion going on - it's so over the loving top that it is impossible to miss.

I did try switching to the english VA a couple of times during, but it really just sounded incredibly corny and mid-budget. Some of that will be setting/familiarity dissonance, but they didn't think about the characters when they were casting and directing. They don't sound right for their personalities, and the emote in generic ways.

People keep saying the dub of LAD is an example of a good one but it isn't. Bebop's an example of a good one. LAD is just an example of one.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

there's no one right way to do a remake of a game but i think the demon's souls method is probably the least exciting. exactly the same game with different graphics, not even any new areas. i'm the kind of person who would've bought it if there was even 1 new level or i dunno, new monsters/weapons etc, but afaik they didn't add any stuff like that and just changed how some of the items work.

i will eventually play it but just because one day i'll probably replay demon's souls and i'll try that version for a tenner

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

director's/ultimate/etc editions of games that come out a year after the original version

i wish they'd just put these editions out as dlc upgrades or something. usually even if you have the original game you can't get whatever new stuff they add, and every time i look up a recent game i want to try, turns out there's a new version coming out in 2-3 months so don't get the smelly version.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 5, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

In a vacuum I could understand the hold a button thing as like, an alternative to endless messy "are you really sure??" pop ups. But it inevitably breaks down almost instantly because instead of solely using for it rare, highly specialized actions instead they make you do it dozens of times every 10 minutes as part of basic fundamental inventory management.

I know what you mean - I think the idea is that holding the button is more elegant and stylish than having a couple of confirm pop ups, but I think it's actually just less satisfying and slower for the sake of not having what I'm sure a UX designer thinks of as visual clutter. It's one of those design things that I think seems cooler to the designer than the user, who gets tired of it after about 3 uses.

Fast clicking through menus you know inside out to do something is better than having to wait for a UI animation every time. We're talking about milliseconds here but that stuff matters in this area.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

these conversatons contort themselves so hard to avoid just admitting that you, personally, enjoy video games a lot, just like everyone else

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 28, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

it's because they're just about smart enough to kind of see the problems with being obsessive about this kind of trivial consumerist stuff, but don't have any interest in abandoning the comfort of it to take on the world in a different way so it becomes this cycle of self-loathing and lashing out at NERD BULLSHIT which they/we/i spend half of every day thinking about regardless because despite all the analysis, it's interesting and sometimes really, really good

if you really didn't like it, or REALLY thought it was stupid and pointless, you wouldn't be posting about it. you're not posting about sports or fashion because who cares, even though they're just as trivial. you liked it when you were 10, you're 40 and you still like it. maybe you have some problems with certain aspects of it, but that's not where all the 'lmao playing a video game like an idiot who shits and pisses' stuff comes from. that comes from inside.

same thing with any nerd subculture because they're all basically the same thing. you don't need to keep beating yourself with a stick, it isn't helping anybody.

edit: this isn't a direct assault on syntaxfunction, the you is general

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 28, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

it was a lot of gamers first experience with sexism when they kept loving up at the river rapids

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

mgsV really turned me off kojima. even though the game itself was good, it felt like a boring kind of pretentious had taken over from the fun kind he had before. mgsV was full of ridiculous crap but it was all played in a lifeless sort of way where nothing connected, and obviously it was an unfinished too so that didn't help.

the stuff i've seen from death stranding has that same kind of tone to it and i don't really like the real life actor stuff, either. it seems like his energy is going towards creating this shallow appearance of auteurship rather than just coming up with a bunch of ideas like he did in mgs prior to 5.

could be wrong, i might try death stranding one day but nothing about it appeals to me. it looks like a bunch of bullshit.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i play old things i used to like and discover i like it as an adult too. happens all the time. so either the games are good or you're trying to tell me i'm some kind of loving idiot with the brain of a 9 year old.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

DE didn't really grab me, either. I played about 5 hours. Couldn't get past the goon near the north of the map, so I explored other directions doing a few quests. Eventually found myself in some dungeon behind the book shop at which point I was truly bored and I just sort of left it there without consciously quitting the game.

It's nice that the game has good politics or whatever, but it's an entertainment product and it's a dry and slow one. Some people never like that, and then there's people like me where I like it sometimes. I didn't like it that time.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember one screenshot came up to attempt to criticise it, and it's like, from the actual ending of the game and nowhere near representative of what 99% of the game is actually like. Pretty common with goon criticism, mind.

what's the bad line? someone else brought it up too

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Serephina posted:

A few games have unironically done that, and a few more done it as a challenge mode. So you're not wrong!

what games do this?

the whole you should get old and weaker to make the game harder is an idea i've had intermittently since i was about 10, i've never seen it done.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I tried ff14 after hearing endless praise and its poo poo

i couldn't believe how boring it was

like 10 hours in wondering 'is this seriously the game?'

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

I work on tools for game development focused mostly on procedural generation. I have a distinct fascination with the concept of procedural generation and it's use to generate content in games.

The big difference is that I don't think making the tools alone makes a game. I think it's a huge fallacy to believe that procgen in and of itself will create all your content. I think the smarter way (and how I describe the purpose of the tools I'm working on) is "for rapid prototyping".

If you can procedurally generate a realistically laid out city with content etc, that's neat. But it's inherently devoid of interest as a game. What it is designed for is to slap down a city that gives enough content etc to provide an interesting place to wander, and then the devs can spend the bulk of their time tweaking and creating handcrafted experiences.

Spending hundreds of work hours on making a city of buildings that are of no importance is a waste, when they could be spending that time making the actual game.

Procgen is fascinating and endlessly useful, but often abused as a means and end to creating content. It really isn't.

I'm starting to come around to this way of thinking. It isn't exactly the same thing, but I was looking at Unreal engine's new Metahuman feature, which is a library of high fidelity human models which you can tweak along sliders in the style of a very detailed character creator you'd find in a game - or you can also export them from metahuman and use them as a basis for an external tool.

I was thinking about it like, since I started game development as a hobby I've had an assumed bias against using tools like this, which generate graphics for you or which handle really anything at all. I've slowly whittled that down now because I keep realising, is there any point in me spending a month learning how to do this so I can cobble together in inferior version of what I could get in 10 minutes here? And probably lose the will to live in the process?

For small teams, developers, etc, I think there's nothing wrong with basically putting your 'game' and even world together out of external assets and then building something interesting out of that. As graphics generation gets more advanced I think you'll see a lot more of the kind of thing you're talking about, where the base elements of a game are so easily generated that the concept of where creativity lies begins to shift away from that part to what you DO with those elements.

Film makers use real locations. They don't invent a new camera for every movie. Etc. You use what has gone before and do something with it that is new. There absolutely is no point in spending 6 months designing a highly detailed city block that looks 90% the same as every other city block. No point in making your own humanoid model from scratch when really the only unique details will be in the face. And so on.

Basically yeah I agree with you.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Vagrant Story is really good. Squaresoft's MGS1.

About FF7 remake, I agree that basically everything they added varies from superfluous to extremely bad. Roche is a good example - I've seen a lot of people talking about how great he is and that's an indication my taste is completely detached from a lot of the fanbase of this game now. The same with the EDGE OF CREATION ending they added in. I was laughing in disbelief at how, only 1 hour ago, I was having an excellent time doing the highway escape and then witnessing one of the worst endings to anything I've ever seen. Apparently some people liked this? It's horseshit.

They managed to barely expand Midgar at all despite spending 40 hours in it. I expected to at least be able to visit a new sector that wasn't in the original. You saw nothing new, except Jessie's house and street.

I liked the combat system though. It's fun. Also, when they stuck to what was there originally, it wasn't so bad and I got nostalgic kicks out of it so overall I enjoyed the game and will play the next part but I know to expect it to be total bullshit now. They didn't remake ff7 after all.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 28, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

JRPG's just suck. it's amazing how much and how little the genre has evolved over the years and does nothing but perpetually suck.

This opinion gets expressed so often because people who are about 30+ now were kids when the JRPG was at its peak popularity around the time of FF7. I think a lot of people who didn't actually like JRPGs for what they were played them and didn't realise until they were older that they didn't like them. It's a specific kind of gameplay that you either like or you don't. Also, JRPGs have evolved just as much if not more than any other genre, for better and worse depending on the game.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

actually yeah that's fair enough, i don't know why i was thinking purely of gameplay when i was writing that.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

the boobs have caused the bullet to slow down

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I haven't played much VR but I like horror a LOT. I played VR Resident Evil 7 at my friends place and ohhhhhhh no no no. Like, yes, but mostly no no no it is extremely loving intense and I was pouring sweat and my heart rate must have been 180bpm. I love horror and I get a rush out of getting scared but it was a lot.

see that makes me really want to try it because re7 isn't scary at all, it's just hillbillies and goop monsters, but people talk about the VR version being too much like this and i don't know if it's just jumpscares when jack grabs you or what, but i am really curious to see how much of a difference it actually makes

not 500 bucks and get an fb account for oculus quest curious though. i can wait.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I have opinions about a game that's probably been talked about to death but is new to me. Rad Dad 2 is loving infuriating in story mode, in camp mode, town mode. By the time you get to the big city there is a fairly hilarious bit in a square where you can run and then forced to walk and then run like 4 or 5 times in a row as you go through. Arthur looks like he's walking in to the wind drunk stuttering and falling.

The story bits though, first your horse stalls out. Get off and walk a couple meters and then you're sucked in to forced motion, then you can walk from side to side a little bit. Then more forced. Then basically do what you're told. You can do it slowly or badly but do it the way the game wants and you'll be rewarded by more cinematic and then you can choose to kill someone or let them go.

An hour of suffering for the chance to get out in the world and do tasks to make money to upgrade your stuff and buy cool cars horses. Then go back to camp where you can't even clean your weapons and yet you talk to someone who has something intimate to share with you, sit down next to them and immediately pull out a huge knife and start polishing it menacingly.

How do they spend so much money and get so many basic things wrong? It's like speculating about how they make a 300 million dollar movie by committee and the dialogue is flat and boring, the plot is nonsensical. loving hate R* for this. GTA V single player was amazing compared to this.

this is incomprehensible

are you trying to say it's too slow or something like that?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

I played the poo poo out of Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2. I bought each one on multiple platforms and played through each one like 4-5 times, and beating a game much less replaying it is incredibly rare for me. I was more excited for DS3 than anyone.

Except I literally forgot that I beat Dark Souls 3 until I looked at a list of bosses last month and went "Oh, I remember all of those, I guess I did beat it." There was nothing memorable about it - none of the environments, NPCs, weapons, or bosses stand out to me and I can't even remember them without looking them up.

The combat systems had slowly mutated over time and over subsequent games but it just sucked in DS3. Shields were neutered and enemies were given tons of huge, sweeping attacks that came out extremely fast which forced you into a few distinct playstyles like "parry everything" or "roll in, hit once, roll away". It wasn't even 'difficult' so much as your avenues of approach to attack enemies had been minimized and constrained so much so that you would have to "git good" (e.g. learn perfect parry timing or memorize attack patterns and opening timing to weave a calculated amount of attacks in between dodges), instead of "git good" it was more like "learn to become a round peg so you can go in the round hole". Every method of player power from the first two games was heavily nerfed, like poise, heavy shields, weapons with huge reach, etc. so it felt incredibly constricted and guided into a specific playstyle.

The only memorable enemy was the big rat/cat thing that was maybe a mimic or something and I think showed up one time in the entire game?

Anyway, Dark Souls 3 was an incredibly bad game and completely misunderstood what made Dark Souls games good and it was disheartening because of how good the first 2 were. It felt like the entire thing was pandering to Dark Souls Youtubers and people who liked to pretend they could be Dark Souls Youtubers.

edit: The thing that made DS1+2 so good IMO is that they were essentially games of observation, situational awareness and waiting for the right moment to strike, whereas Bloodborne and DS3 feel like they're trying to be serious action combat games and whiffing in the wake of actual good serious action combat games like devil may cry, bayonetta, ninja gaiden, etc. Sekiro was alright because it tried to do its own thing but doesn't hold a candle to DS1/DS2. Elden Ring looks dope though.

I think you're exagerrating on the differences between 3 and the the first two, which are just as different from each other as 3 is, if not more so. I agree that enemies in 3 are generally faster due to bloodborne influence and this can ramp up the difficulty in certain spots, but it's not the entire game, and it isn't every boss. It's still basically just a Dark Souls game.

I've played each of them at different times now, replayed them all at least a bit. They are not that different. I think when people have hugely diverging opinions on the dark souls games individually, it's because they came to the games in diverging moods for whatever reason - experience with other games, less patience, worn out on the formula, whatever. It isn't because one of them is a piece of poo poo game or fucks up the formula.

All 3 of the dark souls games have slightly different areas of strength and weakness but the core experience is the same.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i dunno where you're getting that from. there are 100% armour shields, the same variety as the other three in terms of magic defenses, greatshields, etc. Maybe there is some increase in stamina consumption when blocking hits if you put the games up against each other, I'm not saying that it's identical, I'm just saying it's a big exaggeration. I just played 2 and 3 back to back a couple of months ago and if anything DS3 is more generous with the stamina.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The blue/orange colour mix thing is a good example of what I think is a tendency among certain people - including me, at least in the past - to say things are poo poo/lazy/stupid, purely because they are able to recognise it and point at it. Whether there's an underlying reason or aesthetic judgment, the main component of the opinion is just 'i know what they're doing here/trying to do, and i'm too smart for that poo poo'.

I used to do that with so many things before I realised that's what I was doing. Now at least I catch myself.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

oblivion is better than skyrim because they are both boring as hell but oblivion is 12 kinds of stupid while skyrim is only about 3

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I remember semi-enjoying FF13 mainly because I was on a trip when I played it and was having a good time anyway, and also because it looked extremely good. This was 2010, graphics have only gotten incrementally better since then but at that time it was stunning to me.

It was the beginning of this trouble Square have had including a properly scoped game alongside their lavish cutscenes.

I don't believe the thing that the series was never good. There are good games in it, but the last one was FF12 and that's debatable. 15 years ago.

I don't count 14 because I played it and I think it's a boring as hell but I realise it's an entirely different thing.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 12, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

I see a lot of criticism about the witcher 3 and it's gameplay mainly but I just can't care about it because the world is engaging. It's a bit stiff nowadays with what I assume are procedural cameras and generic animations during most NPC conversations but that's an open world fantasy game where it's actually worth getting deep into because most of it is interesting.

Gameplay is secondary to me. I binged RE Village over a couple of days a few weeks ago and even though the story is stupid, I didn't feel like I was wasting time out of my day for any of it. 12 hour designed experience with some extra gameplay to play around in. All I wanted.

I was playing two point hospital for about 2 hours and at the end of it I was just like...gently caress sake. I should've done something else. I mean I had podcasts on at the time, and the game is fine, but I think I need to keep that in mind going ahead - even if the game systems are engaging, it will leave me feeling kind of lovely at the end of playing. I like a long rpg with systems to dive into but it has to be in service of a world/story I'm invested in, otherwise it just doesn't feel worth my time.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 15, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

People have told me MD was very good if having an open ending, but I've never even managed to get to the Hub world. It has a really awful first area, far worse than the Detroit plant or Liberty Island

I've tried to start it twice and stalled in the first area, too. Not just because it's horrible to play, but I despise the whole tone of it. Constantly swearing gruff military guys filled with hate.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

roche might've been good with a completely different voice direction but as is he's a mind-numbing waste of time

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Neco posted:

Utter freaking fools. Yeah right, let‘s spread resources that could create one cool story really really thin and create 12 heaps of poo poo. Fantastic idea. And for what? To make some shutin losers believe their actions matter at least in a game? The result of their choice is 12 heaps of poo poo. Nothing more. There is more than enough choice in most games already: the game over screen and the you win screen.

I mostly agree with this except that I do like it when a game will have a couple of branching moments that can have an impact, like a character living or dying, or some influence on what route the ending goes. It makes you pay closer attention and the story feel alive with even just the idea that something could go off the rails. Not too much - I really do not want to 'craft my own story' because when I can do that on my own with a word document, I want to get a story I can explore virtually but still have my emotions manipulated and have there be some overall structure to it. Entertain me don't make me entertain myself.

Deus Ex has always been the model in my mind for a good medium of where you can the story is elastic in some of its plot beats, but basically you are on a train which still makes all of its stops.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

I never played any of those famous immersive sim games back in the day, took me until like last year.

Wasn't terribly impressed with Deus Ex, aside from all the Hong Kong stuff. Like it was cool I guess, but eh.
(System Shock 2 on the other hand largely impressed the crap out of me)

I think Deus Ex being so stage based made it ultimately just feel like an FPS with really complex systems and RPG elements.
What made SS2 and the Hong Kong part feel so much better I guess was the sense of scope and exploration of one large interconnected location, ON TOP of the FPS with complex systems and RPG elements aspect

One of the things I've always thought about Deus Ex being good is that it is built out of discrete stages where you have room to poke around. They aren't so big that you need a quest log to keep track of what's going on, and the content isn't diluted just to fill space. There's little wasted time driving/running/horseriding from point A to B.

As far as gameplay goes it's got as much depth to it as it needs. You aren't picking up loot and running back and forth on a large map to trade items or perform fetch quests, which is basically padding, and you can focus on different tools to support different ways of completing objectives. Since the levels are limited in size, most objectives will have detailed alternatives for you to try out that make replaying the game more than once actually worth doing. There are long conversations, plot events and entire stages that you might either miss or only see one version of.

I don't see any way the stage based approach is a problem for the game. If you make it bigger or one big continuous map, you just end up with more empty space or rubbish that might as well be procedural.

The game is ancient now so I'm not saying the gameplay itself is actually fun, but it's a shame that the mid-size hub has been mostly abandoned in big budget games. It's either on rails or a gigantic map, which are both extremes that have their own drawbacks.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

playing witcher 2 for the first time and not having autosaves is actually pretty horrible. i've always thought save points were cool like in old RE games, but those are short and based around the idea of dying and playing optimally. in an rpg like this, it should really just save every 5 minutes minimum. although it is over 10 years old.

game just froze randomly. since i was only wandering around town doing item/convo stuff i hadn't saved in maybe an hour so that's all flushed down the toilet of time now.

the game is pretty good though. graphically it's very nice looking even by 2022 standards, too.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 14, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i don't really know what it's about but it's got no appeal based on the MC design and robot dinosaurs to me. i skimed through some gameplay and i think it's just another AAA type game with shot-reverse shot convos, standard light rpg mechanics (i assume), decent combat with a lot of gadgets, etc. if it had some cool premise or looked especially cool i'd play it but it doesn't to me.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

if crafting is for consumables only that is good, it means i can mostly ignore it.

never used them in a ds game before, haven't felt the need in elden ring so far either. i mean you need to get ingredients and buy a cracked pot to make 1 use of firebomb which does about as much damage as two r1 hits at level 1.

it's there. some people like it. i am pretty anti-loot in games.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

the opening scene of a long haired super serious pretty boy who you are supposed to think of as a badass in the bath really set the whole tone

i mean if you want to have a strum to a game that’s all good, just don’t pretend otherwise

nobody is pretending otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The Pirate Captain posted:

It was literally pirated games, unequivocally, in all those cases. Like, you can see the chain in Carbon Black of torrent -> game exe -> Internet connection -> trickbot or something else nasty.

Again, ignore me if you want. Maybe we’ll meet someday.

Edit: I have also seen similar things from pornography.

how would a video file run code to do anything other than open your video player? is that possible?

or are you talking about downloading some kind of torrent with a bunch of weird files in it that people for some reason a) download and b) run?