Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
all video games should be banned except for Nethack, Dwarf Fortress and UnReal World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

the trump tutelage posted:

fallout tactics is good and is,,, in fact, more "fallout" than fallout 3 & 4

same, but Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lazorexplosion posted:

Final Fantasies are narrative heavy games with terrible, idiotic, boring narratives, bad gameplay and each one is worse than the last.

this is true, but the reverse is also true. Final Fantasy 1 is a great game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is the only good and fun zombie game (the Resident Evil series is not fun at all).
Project Zomboid is unique and pretty fun if you play with the settings and make it babby mode, but it brings me to my opinion:

all zombie content made prior to the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake is "classic" zombies and is good. everything after is trash cash-in garbage

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kenzie posted:

I dislike multiplayer games and hate how so many games put so much emphasis on multiplayer.

yeah i hate this. any game series that started as a single player game and turned into an MMO is a dumpster fire

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Agreed. I also hate when they make some achievements require playing multiplayer, so I am stuck having to try to find some random pubbie who will cooperate with me to get an achievement and not just madly speedrun through levels for no apparent reason.

if you dislike playing with other people then why do you care about the prestige of achievements

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenHeart posted:

The Mutant League series were the only good sports games, followed closely by NFL Blitz

no these are the two good sports games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kXVFCfBWoQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYZ54-gZHeo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RaySmuckles posted:

the series was already dead. they just reanimated the corpse and pumped it full of crack and lsd and let it do its own thing

4 can't be blamed for everyone having such a good time they kept trying to capture that lightning in a bottle.

resident evil 4 is crap, its not even a resident evil game. TANK CONTROLS.

i wish companies would stop changing games into different genres, then pretend like its a proper sequel

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Final fantasy "5" and "6" should only be referred to by their Freedom numbers. They are 2 and 3 and that is my unpopular video game opinion.

:ssh:
Final Fantasy 4 is the one they turned into 2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Whatever you want to call them though, in my video game opinion there are none worth playing after mystic quest. Also mystic quest is underrated and I'd say even better than 3.

you will get no argument from me! FF Mystic Quest is the best Final Fantasy. mostly because it has absolutely zero story, but also because or the cool map puzzles, and the best soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qkBT_6klKs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Junk posted:

wait are you serious? All these years I thought they skipped 3 final fantasies for no reason

they did, they skipped 2, 3, and 5

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
final fantasy tactics is good though?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Junk posted:

i dont remember them making a final fantasy 9 either

final fantasy 7 had the buster sword, FF8 had the gun sword, and FF10 had the water sword. i do not remember a sword protagonist or a final fantasy 9. this story checks out!

must be the same reason they didnt make windows 9

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

Mods for high-quality nipples and pubic hair in Bethesda games enrich the experience.

back when Bethesda was good they provided this in the base game :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stale Saltines posted:

LISA is everything Undertale claims to be. It's one of the funniest, darkest, and most emotional games I've ever played and it should be seen as the true EarthBound successor. If there was any justice the popularity of those two games would be reversed.

made the dumb mistake of giving their game a generic name. if you type "LISA" into google you think this indy game is going to pop up? what else is named "Undertale"? nothing thats what

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WatermelonGun posted:

Turok 2 was better than goldeneye

Perfect Dark was better than Turok 2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheMostFrench posted:

I was going to disagree and say something about weapons but then I watched videos of both games and decided that Turok 2 only has the gratuitous violence aspect going for it, but Perfect Dark has an aimbot wallhack gun, and a machine gun which can be used as a proximity mine.

Perfect Dark was really ahead of its time. not only did it have a lot of unique guns, but each gun has a secondary fire. so you have the poision gun that shoot tranqualizer dart at ranger, or a deadly dose if injected up close, or the machiene gun that can turn you invisable, or the rocket launcher with guided rockets, etc. it also had really good bots in multiplayer, that could be programmed in differant ways for differant strategeies (and up to 16 bots, impressive on N64)

Perfect Dark also had a mode where two people could play the single player campaign. one player would take control of the protagonist, and the other would randomly control various enemies in the stage. turning each single player mission into a two player duel! I wish developers would put as much effort into their games these days as went into Perfect Dark

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blockade posted:

Sandbox mmo's like ultima online are cool and fun and im sad that nobody except for garbage korean devs even attempt to make games in that genre

no one bothers to make this any more because you can just play on a Minecraft server for free

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The fact that there is no modern high-quality pc fishing simulator and hasn't been for like a decade (the last one I remember is trophy bass 4) is terrible. I feel like the only one out there that has been waiting for one. I mean, we have how many forklift and truck driving simulators, and nobody has thought of making a fishing game with good graphics and realism?

wouldnt a "realistic fishing simulator" involve sitting around stating at screen filled with water for hours on end, with nothing happening?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

i haven't finished either of the first two fallouts

dont bother, the endings are not the best part of them anyway

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maya Fey posted:

I dont remember quake 2 adding much to anything, it was a pretty underwhelming id game even at the time.

quake 2 was a pile of crap. modded quake 1 was where it was at for a long time. i dont even remember any quake 2 mods

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Irradiation posted:

Wolfenstein isn't stealth in the slightest wtf.

Doom is the stealth game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

i know reading as much as what i posted is asking too much, in all sincerity, but my post is basically pointing out the obvious and kind of criticizing bethesda. can't speak for everyone else but i'm not terribly happy with how Bethesda writes morality when Obsidian and CD Projekt Red consistently show them up.

bethesda needs to stop trying to tell stories. their strength is creating big fantasy world simulations, not linear stories. i put many hundreds of hours into the elder Scrolls games going back all the way to Daggerfall, and i have never bothered to beat a single one of them. the "main quest" was always the most boring aspect!

if Bethesda wants to make a good Fallout game they should do a procedural map of the entire wasteland United States, and fill it with randomly generated bandit factions and cities. let everyone explore their hometown as the wastelands. maybe throw a story somewhere off in the corner, but dont put too much effort into it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
all RTS games should be set in the DUNE universe. the games only makes sense in that context anyway. you cant just replace Sand Crawlers with peasants or crystal harvesting droids, thats dumb! :colbert:

make up some of your own mechanics you lazy game developers. the same games over and over with higher resolution is boring

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
RTS and MOBAs are trash compared to the one true nerd dueling game, Street Fighter

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manfrompoot posted:

Fallout 3 is better than New Vegas

Fallout 2 is better than Fallout 3

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceClown posted:

we really need a 4X Dune game. Would love a paradox game about the Landsraad.
have fun:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701950713

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Chess... a pathetic strategy game

chess has lots of good openings though? its not like lovely starcraft at all

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
starcraft and all RTS hits the sweet spot of poo poo. the matches are way to long to be a fun test of dexterity, yet the game is too shallow for interesting strategy.

if you want a dexterity game play fighting games, the matches are only 1-3min tops. if you want a strategy game play something turn based.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
worms 2 is much better than Starcraft. fight me

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: automation is the last thing you want in an RTS if you want it to actually push your limits (or any competitive real-time genre, really, the whole point is "look what human beings can do")

the future of esport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIRT6xRQkf8

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bodyholes posted:

However, in fighting game communities there is the same preponderance of highly pretentious players that feel the arbitrary difficulty of pressing really hard combinations of buttons to accomplish basic tactics that could be done with much more forgiving inputs is important somehow. And you see all the same bullshit arguments from them.

No way! This is why Marvel vs Capcom 3 is the best fighting game ever. It comes with an "easy mode" that lets you do all the special moves with one button press. You can basically play the game like Street Fighter, or Smash Brothers. There are a few other fighters that do this, and I love it because it lets newbies play against me and have a good time with cheap fireball spam and stuff.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Space Crabs posted:

Skeleton Necromancers and everyone proud of playing them in Diablo 2, like you are all some kind of legendary geniuses for figuring out that you can just keep adding points to skeletons, are dumb and they had no utility past taking casuals through the normal game once.

:words: but if you min max :words: :words: :words: the right runes :words: :words: then skelemancers :words:

You and your builds are the worst in what is one of the greatest games of all time.

dont skeleton shame

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lazorexplosion posted:

Diablo 2 has only one good build, the fire and ice sorceress. Everything else has some combination of requires way too much gear to deal adequate damage, can't deal with immunities, bad mobility, bad survival, general awkwardness to actually use etc. Play Diablo 2 once as a sorceress and then shelve it forever because nothing else will be remotely as good without a ton of grinding.

no, play MedianXL and enjoy all classes in power gaming glory

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Einstein is the best unit in red alert

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its pronounced sub-zeo, the r is silent

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Unpopular opinion: After updates and expansions D3 is now in a really good spot, and better than D2. From my point of view it's strictly better because it is basically the same game as D2 with enormously improved quality of life. The main complaint I hear is that it's dumb having the bad guys speak to you in pop ups during their acts. Which I agree is pretty dumb, but not enough to say all of D3 sucks

is it better than modded Diablo 2? i doubt it. Diablo 3 will always be an eternal failure, because Blizzards greed made them design it in a way that makes modding impossible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blockade posted:

WoW was fun back then not because of the difficulty but because of what I would call the 'mystery' of it. To get the level 60 warlock mount, I had to ask other warlocks around town where to get the reagents, trek all over the world to obscure and faraway places where i was unlikely to see another player, pay a team of people to travel with me to strange part of a strange dungeon, etc. Everything felt like an adventure! Now every aspect of every video game is datamined and polished and a bunch of math nerds wittle everything down to the 'optimal' strategy, stand here at time $x, if $y, then $z, etc. Still, even after activition and blizzard merged and overpolished everything and wowhead and those other dataminers came out and sucked the soul out of the content, it was still sort of fun to meet people and run group quests and dungeons. Then they took that away too when they added cross-server group finding, after that every group was at best silent or more frequently extremely toxic and it turned to complete poo poo.

Vanilla WoW was lightning in a bottle and nothing will ever bring it back because current video game culture is all about meaningless achievements, scores, and treadmills instead of fun or socializing with other people.

Video game "culture" ruined video games.

edit: Also gently caress twitch

same, except WoW ruined MMOs and Ultima Online was the golden age

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yeah because she had massive knockers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

Rhythm games are all poo poo. Guitar Hero especially. Worst fans, lamest gameplay.

you are supposed to be drunk