Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Undertale is terrible at everything that it does except for the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Planescape Torment is booooooooring. I understand that the focus is on the narrative and not the combat; still boring.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Elden Ring will be a better experience in a year from now after it's been patched to be more gooder, and also most of you idiots will have stopped playing it by then.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

The way Breath of the Wild did weapon management was cool and good. Granted it's weird the first couple of hours but there are so many weapons that I don't know why it's such a roadblock for so many people.

Using two button combinations to access those weapons, well that's a different story.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Thank you for supporting game devs.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

I know discussing the weapon system in BotW is old hat at this point, but I had an idea about it in a moment of post nut clarity. Think about the item/inventory management you have to do in ARPGs (Diablo, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, etc.) You have a ton of loot thrown at you all the time. Most of it is worthless and thrown away / junked. You know the drill... fight mobs, collect loot, look at the stats, rinse/repeat over and over and over again. In BotW, especially in the beginning there are a ton of lovely weapons laying all over the place. Early on, it's easy to fill your inventory with rusty swords and clubs very quickly. But, they are at least effective at these early enemies that don't have too much health. IMO the weapons breaking is a way to manage an inventory system with limited space; like ARPGs have. But, instead of looking at your inventory and making decisions; the lovely weapons are gone after a few uses and the slot is open.

Later in BotW you get tougher enemies that drop better weapons; like the higher tier loot that drops at higher levels in ARPGs. I'm not really a big ARPG fan so I don't know if conventional wisdom dictates that you pick up lovely loot or completely ignore it in favor of the higher powered stuff. But, you are still looking and and managing inventory over and over again.

My point is, I really like the inventory system of BotW because it requires you to be selective in your gear choices; but the process is much more streamlined than ARPGs, which I find incredibly tedious. I dunno if I made my point clear; feel free to call me wrong and dumb whatever. Just a random thought. Hopefully it's unpopular enough to warrant posting in this thread.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Magus and Ayla definitely gently caress.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

So uh, how about that Breath of the Wild weapon system, huh? Pretty divisive, dontchya know.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Raimi's Spider-Man's Aunt May as an unlockable character in DOA Volleyball please.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Like a AA game but smaller.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

The jumping mechanic in Star Tropics was good and fine. Star Tropics 2: Zoda's Revenge was not as good because they removed it.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Breetai posted:

Post your most cringeworthy video game sex moment. Mine is in mass effect where you're told as femshep that if you're romancing a turian and you bone down you'd better not "ingest" as it will poison and kill you. Thanks for that, games writers, that little detail really added to the verisimilitude.

:rolleyes: I'm so glad I didn't play those stupid games.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Outer Wilds where it's a smary up it's own arse indie think piece that i don't want to think about

Finally, someone else gets it. Also, Undertale.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

precision posted:

and another thing, river city ransom DOESN'T EVEN TAKE PLACE IN ST LOUIS

Crash And The Boys Street Challenge has non-street based events!

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Did Wisdom Tree Entertainment commit sins in the eyes of God when they published Bible Adventures? It bypassed the NES anti piracy lock out chip and did not have the Official Nintendo Seal of Quality. I've tweeted at various political and religious authorities but no reply yet.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

precision posted:

i reinstalled Elden Ring and started a new character :negative:

on the positive side, i'm getting gud enough. like, i finally figured out that the secret to winning almost every fight in the game is to roll forward instead of backward
Just wait until you learn how to roll through the legs and stab the ankles of literally every enemy taller than you. The game really opens up after you've mastered ankle stabbing.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Dave and Busters used to be better when they kicked out kids after 10pm and they had a part of the arcade devoted to actual "arcade games" instead of devoting 100% of floor space to huge gently caress off redemption games. I used to be be able to play Tekken Tag Tournament AND Street Fighter 3 there AND Virtua Cop 3 AND get drunk, now I have to do it at home and my wife is an Eddy Gordo button masher gently caress that ho

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Is saying Spelunky 2 is too hard a popular or unpopular opinion?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

precision posted:

maybe one day people will admit that Disgaea games are not very good and they've been bamboozled

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

there's nothing wrong with chucking a few quid at a videogame if its fun

The most unpopular opinion of them all :fireman:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

This is the best thread in GBS today, thanks goons.

Can mods please change thread title to Unpopular Videogame Opions: you suck a dick and give it money as your gaming experience, and love every second of it

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Can't say that about slay the spire, way too much rng plus turn based games are intrinsically lesser

Slay the Spire is a good game but you have to (say it with me, kids!) GIT GUD before it really starts to shine. I am still terrible but now understand that it's my fault and USUALLY could have done something different to get a better outcome.

I now save scum without feeling bad because I kinda want to climb the ascention ranks and it's loving brutal.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

List of games that I extremely lmao if you think they're good:

WoW
LoL
DOTA
Eve
Rust
Ark

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Any game "where your choices have a meaningful impact in the world around you"

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

All video games are terrible and every thing dies :mad:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Planescape Torment is a story heavy game that is also actually very bad.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Witcher 3 ruined video games.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Don't forget that FFXII is pretty boring after the novelty of the gambit system wears off. The dungeons for the second half of game are just meandering mazes that you have to navigate multiple times over because of switches or whatever.

neato burrito fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 26, 2022

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Link to the Past is bad because it has quest markers. They just tell you where all the dungeons are! Legend of Zelda, now that's trve gaming.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Red and blue mages are better than white and black mages; which are booooooooring.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

When you lose to Gato at the Millenium Fair and don't heal after, you'll have 1 HP when you encounter the first real enemies after you use Lucca's machine for the first time. And then you'll lose the 15 minutes of loving around you did at the fair.

This is not an opinion, just a warning.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Is anyone old enough to have had a Radio Shack TRS-80 as their primary gaming platform?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Nope, no one alive today was born before 1985.

That sure is an unpopular opinion.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

sebmojo posted:

Yep lol

Ball turret Gunner, outhouse, slag'em, decathlon

Downland was my loving jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os6qUWRARws

Also Peanut Butter Panic.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Babby's First TRPG: Advanced

(I spent at least 100 hours on it years ago. Great game)

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Mescal posted:

WHat is tactics advance

Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced (GBA) and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (DS) are Tactical RPGs that are spiritual sequels to Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX). Gameplay is generally more forgiving than FFT but does offer up new mechanics in the form of restrictions on what you can do in a battle (no black magic, no Viera allowed, etc)

I've played through both of them years ago, but I remember liking FFTA better than FFTA2. Both are great.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Also Fire Emblem on the GBA was very very good. One of the few games where losing a character means permadeath, and you're goddamn right that I restarted every time I lost someone.

You also really have to keep all characters at an even level, early in the game you get a character that is very OP compared to the rest of your team. If you lean on him, no other characters will level up and you'll be SOL further down the road. I had to restart upon realizing I hosed up but wasn't even mad.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

My unpopular opinion: sometimes you gotta pay for stuff :shrug:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a bad Zelda game.

But enough about Majora's Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

That's a really loving nice kitty right there!