Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Kullik posted:

Oh i got another one:

Pixel art is trash and i immediately discount any game with pixel art graphics and will take a lot of convincing to actually play it and even then my enjoyment will be limited because i loving hate that art style and will never think it looks good.

Counterpoint: Undungeon looks sweet as gently caress and even if it is trash it will be a beautiful game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Gridlocked posted:

Vice City had an amazing 80s soundtrack and the whole game was a big parody of well everything 80s crime-drama, before the days of GTA IV/V and attempting to make serious games.

GTA IV is the worst game I've ever played

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I played Breath of the Wild for like 5 minutes once and it reaffirmed my opinion that I have no idea why people continue to heap praise on Zelda games past the N64 era, and really the most playable one is still the original; and it completely turned me off of ever buying a Switch, even though I think the hardware itself is pretty cool as poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

signalnoise posted:

Pretty sure I could chop up Master of Puppets and sell it as E1M1

E1M1 is No Remorse off Kill 'Em All

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

13Pandora13 posted:

Pulling a post over from the r/relationships thread...

...to say that Red Dead Redemption 1 wasn't good enough to be this excited about 2.

I know people that are excited about a PC port of RDR2, like

1) that will ever happen;
and
2) it will ever actually be finished to a standard outside "it runs"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Netflix did nothing wrong making Henry Cavill look exactly like Witcher 1 Geralt in his makeup test

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SpazmasterX posted:

Beardless Geralt makes perfect sense as well, given how it's the beginning of the series.

people talkin poo poo about beardless Geralt and its like GERALT NEVER HAD A BEARD. That is, until you could make him have a beard then masturbate to him.

Either way the show is gonna be based on the books so they're just cribbing the games for the look and people are gonna be way mad about the outcome.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

The new Soul Calibur looks really bland. There is nothing going on in those stages. Older iterations had animals, fire, even riders in the background. Now you get flowing water, if you're lucky. No wonder they blur everything but the fighter models.

Also now the guitar sound from Diablo's village scene is stuck in my head.

It is also the best SC game since Soul Calibur on Dreamcast

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

basic hitler posted:

Enemy territoy was so good

ET or UT99, they are kinda tied for me

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't really get fishing for the right ending. Roleplay how you want, and enjoy what you get
You can look at alternative endings on youtubes later.

Like I dont think I ever maxed out renegade/ paragon in my main mass effect, it was a mix of both because some options just don't fit the character I was playing :shrug:

I've never been able to play a Caesar's Legion ending in New Vegas because I just can't do it

done every other one, found all kinds of missions I've never seen before otherwise, I just can't be that much of an rear end in a top hat in a game giving me that much choice

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Barudak posted:

I dont think you can skip the tutorial or the awful awful fight right before you can enter the city at the very start of the game.

I have bluffed qorro every single time I have started the game, the last time I fought him was in the beta

the tutorial sucks though

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rutibex posted:

There was a very interesting wormhole invasion in EVE recently. wormhole space is very easily defensible because you can control the holes in/out of your system and most holes won't allow capital ships through. but someone (a goonswarm ally) was able to sneak hundreds of battleships into the top wormhole corporations base of operations and log them off in space for later. the holes are only open from his area like once a week, so it took over a year of sneaking in these ships.

once the ships were in he called on his Corp mates to come man them, outnumbering the "invincible" wormholers 10 to 1. hundreds of people in the hole. rather than fight the "elite pvp" wormhole Corp blew up their capital ship for the insurance money :v: only in EVE online. the devs never planned anything like this, they just make some mechanics and let's people do what they want with them.

lol what a fuckin nerd

eve will forever be the best MMO because of poo poo like this

edit: I kept a chinese goldfarmer as an indentured servant to pad the delta squadron holding corp's wallet when the goons were out in angel space until I got called out on it

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

EVE always sounds cool on paper but it seems like it requires an assload of time and diligence to do anything of note in it. I appreciate being able to hear the stories from afar though, so thanks.

EVE loving sucks but if you have the patience for it some amazing things can happen (rarely), but don't take my word for it because I also haven't really played since karttoon dissolved goonfleet and ended the Great War so I don't know much about the game today

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 28, 2018

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The White Dragon posted:

For the past one or two years, Unity has been shunting various hidden scanning poo poo into all builds (unless you buy pro and specifically disable it in your build options--obviously not something most small time devs can afford to do until release) that secretly sends usage statistics, reports system specs, etc while Unity software is running. They keep trying various and different ways to obscure it from the devs so people accidentally send out builds of their games packed with Unity's spyware, and it came out as a big thing earlier this year because it wasn't gdpr compliant and you actually had to install a third-party plugin to interfere with their built-in phoning home to make their games Europe-legal.

sounds like gaming finally caught up with pharma, now all they need to do is raise the price of mario 98,000%

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

as far as FMV story games go I thought Bandersnatch was really good but I also want a GameFAQs guide so I don't have to iterate through it 40,000 times

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

!Klams posted:

Has anyone got any links to like, stories from the Devs explaining how it came to be? I've always wondered, ever since the moment I played it, how they (being some of the finest game devs of the time) reached the decision to give you a sniper rifle and pit you against swarming hordes of flies on the first level? Like it just seemed so OBVIOUSLY the worst choice, like it was insulting, but then the game didn't especially carry on in that vein? The ad campaign about it kicking my rear end or whatever would have actually been pretty ahead of it's time (See Dark Souls) if it was kind of baked into the design philosophy to be as much of a oval office to the player as possible, sort of like a AAA 'I wanna be the guy' type situation. It still would have been terrible, but at least a conscious decision that I could respect, and enjoy the creative hostility of.

John Romero was a level designer and not a designer or dev, and it went through like 4 or 5 iterations before it got released like every ion storm game and proved that creatives DON'T have control except the shitstorm that was deus ex that worked, also the shitstorm that was Anachronox that somehow turned out to be really loving good

edit: I still have a GoD cheerleader calendar from this era that is incredibly embarrassing, I just found it, and I will catalogue it for posterity since it is a 2001 calendar

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 31, 2018

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

QuarkJets posted:

They designed Bandersnatch to minimize the amount of "iterating" one has to do while still experiencing most of the recorded scenes. Each time that you reach one of the 5 endings you're offered a chance to rewind to the major decision point leading to that ending, so you can traverse the other path. Most of the decisions are meaningless and there's very little overlap between diverging paths so it winds up only taking ~2 hours from start to finish to experience basically everything

so I'm 3/5 then, that's actually a pretty sweet FMV game

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

GoG and Ion Storm were definitely an interesting time in gaming and I definitely just digitized that 2001 GoG calendar that I found in my old stuff at my dad's house over christmas, it features Max Payne and Duke Nukem Forever with poo poo that absolutely created toxic gaming culture, if there's any demand I'll put the time in to post it here

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Flannelette posted:

Shocking that the guy that thought the make you his bitch ad was a good idea also thought schoolgirl swimsuit gaming calendar and booth babes was a good idea.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

FogHelmut posted:

This is definitely real and is going to happen I'm sure of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNsRXsGQVTE

I hope so Rocket Jockey was one of my favorite games when I was a kid

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

FoolyCharged posted:

The n64 controller was fine and cool

the N64 controller is a piece of poo poo made for some weird person with 3 hands that assumes I want to use a trigger and an analog stick 1/2" away from the buttons on my right hand in the most awkward and terrible position possible; also gently caress anyone that thinks goldeneye was a good FPS.

QuarkJets posted:

yeah the old games were goofy as hell and were beloved for it, but Bethesda's team didn't realize that so we wound up with Fallout 3

New Vegas is best when it's not trying to be a serious gritty drama

it is too bad there will never be a real Fallout game again after NV because the setting was pretty sweet; but maybe I'm also getting old.

Vakal posted:

Last I saw there was a statement from the dev team that they were too burned out from Grimrock 2 and decided to take a break from the series for an unspecified amount of time.

But the real reason I think there is not a Grimrock 3 is that Grimrock 2 didn't have nearly the return on investment that Grimrock 1 had.

and this sucks because LoG1 and 2 were amazing games and you fuckers bitching about RPGs who didn't play them are the cause of this travesty.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 29, 2019

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think they are, but also 4 takes place in Boston so it's not too unreasonable that political struggles on the other side of the country wouldn't be known about.

Super Mutants, BOS and Deathclaws don't make any loving sense in the setting if you played Fallout or Fallout 2, or read any of the Fallout Bibles when it was still in limbo and a P&P RPG; but Bethesda very specifically bought the assets and not the lore as evidenced by Fallout 3 and 4. Fallout 4 was basically a soft-restart as a story-"heavy" shooter, and 76 was... I don't know what 76 was, but I doubt anyone that actually worked on Fallout 1-2-NV has any interest in working on the franchise again after what happened with New Vegas.

This is surprising because Bethesda is amazing at writing 46 1,000 page books of lore but terrible at making a game about said lore or conveying that lore in any way, shape or form. You'd think they'd love the Fallout lore, but they loving hate it.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 29, 2019

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sheen Sheen posted:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I definitely agree with it

I agree 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%

can't retcon NV though because that was not bethesda

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 29, 2019

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

steinrokkan posted:

The next Fallout game should be made by Gearbox

That would be a good way to piss off everyone and therefore I agree

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

food court bailiff posted:

do you have a newer one because the early models at least had serious issues with the d-pad, is that no longer the case?

I love me a DualShock4 but the switch pro controller is so well designed I want to gently caress it, and I hate offset controller patterns

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm completely willing to accept "Bethesda sucks" as an answer tbqh.

Bethesda loving sucks.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

food court bailiff posted:

weirdly zenimax online or whoever does ESO is pretty cool?

there's some poo poo I've seen, lore-wise that makes me want to revisit ESO.

then I remember it's an MMO and I remember the years of EvE.

I'm good on MMOs.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Borderlands was probably the most bored I ever was playing an FPS and I spent maybe 5 minutes on BL2. RNG guns and bullet sponge enemies killed any interest I had; I guess the Telltale game was pretty alright since I just had to deal with a TT game and not the lovely rear end shooter gameplay.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's because it's not an FPS. It's an adventure game with an FPS combat system.

then it's the most bored I've ever been playing an adventure game AND an FPS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Mercenaries 2 was a good game.

Mercs and Mercs 2 were awesome

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Halo theme deserved a better game

I remember when Bungie first started teasing Halo and it looked fuckin awesome, open-world multiplayer exploration shooter with vehicles on a crazy alien-made ringworld.

Then we got the most boring, generic piece of poo poo FPS ever.

That was back when I was huge into Myth 2 and Bungie was a solid dev house instead of a joke. Come to think, of it Blizzard was that way then too.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 12, 2019

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Every "revolutionary advancement" Halo made was based on a Quake mod at least two years prior.

But Halo was so revolutionary, dumbass

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

poverty goat posted:

for the first time, maybe, but I disagree with you in general. nostalgia is a hell of a drug

MDK2 and Sacrifice are still awesome games

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol i just got an email from blizzard that says bungie is moving Destiny 2 to a non-b.net platform

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Shibawanko posted:

The default mapping of NES and Gameboy controls to SNES controllers, where A on the NES/GB becomes A on the SNES controller and B maps directly to B, is extremely stupid. Nobody holds a SNES controller with their finger only on A and B instead of B and Y. A lot of peripherals like the Super Gameboy and also the Retropie do this for some reason but it makes no sense.

So you never had a NES or a Gameboy then

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most of the DLCs but Dead Money and OWB especially are designed to gently caress with the Stealth/Guns sniper characters everyone kept making

so you hate 12 monkeys

(dead money sucks rear end but OWB was awesome)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bradzilla posted:

All racing games are bad.

It's ok to not like motorsport

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Away all Goats posted:

It blows my mind people are legitimately playing shooters with touch screen controls now. I am officially too old for gaming because I hate touch screen controls and can't even imagine having to put up with that poo poo. It frustrates me playing Stardew on mobile and that's a chill farming game.

my left thumb is all hosed up and I can't play an FPS on a controller because of how it moves vs. reaction time, how people are playing FPS with even less fidelity than an analog stick is beyond me

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rutibex posted:

in my experience a soul calibur match is won by the person who hits random buttons in the fastest and most unpredictable way

pretty much, unless you play someone that actually knows how to play SC and can do flawless custom combos and poo poo in which case the match is over before it began

the last time I really played SC was on Dreamcast though

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Olaf The Stout posted:

WTF? nintendo power in america published fan-art as well, but it only chose art of it's own licensed characters in a G-rated setting.

Sega Visions definitely allowed that kind of poo poo on envelope art and the like

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

StabMasterArson posted:

I wish Kojima didnt have such a huge platform to be up his own rear end in. I love Metal Gear but everything about Death Stranding makes my loving eyes roll

I for one am very excited to watch Kojima's Bionic Woman fanfic baby movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Caesar Saladin posted:

i didn't play the psp one so i choose to ignore that stuff, its the trick to playing MGS games, you just gotta ignore some stuff

that stuff was literally the intro of MGS5 that was a separate game that was an engine demo but also the intro of the game before the real intro