Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My first real experience with Doom was on the PS1 (I played the SNES one before that, but that was more like suffering a seizure while looking down a Viewmaster)and my memories of it are is it was incredibly fast, the levels had secrets to dig out, you had to prioritise targets in arenas and that the vibe was like a metal-head/D&D nerds maths jotter sketches.

I can't see how Doom 2016/Eternal isnt true to each of those attributes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

As everyone knows, the cut scenes and story are by far the most important elements of a Doom game...

As someone who bought all 4 Doom novels as a young teen, unironically yes.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

RDR2 was fun when exploring and messing around, but drat there were some bad design decisions. I appreciate being able to choose from 50 different hats, but can I please make a decision about which guns Arthur carries? I don't always want to have to scroll past trash pistols.

Also not great when you finish a mission and there are lots of bodies lying around, and searching one of them instantly leads to a max wanted level.

For all the effort they put into storytelling I would have appreciated Arthur's ability to interact with the world to go beyond "polite, rude, shoot in face." There were glimpses of great mission ideas, like taking the hot air balloon and seeing the landscape from above, but of course that mission ended with needing to shoot a bunch of endless bandits and the balloon operator was dead and you can never use it again.

I'm worried I might be repeating myself, because I've definitely expressed this to friends, but in RDR2, I never felt like I was Arthur. I either felt like I was in a theme park ride or was moving an actor onto his marks so movie scenes could trigger. The limits of Rockstar's approach to game design really showed.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The White Dragon posted:

i think by proportion the n64 didn't have any more poo poo games than any other system. it's just that when your entire system library is like 100 games, and 85 are bad, then you get remembered as the system where most of the games were bad because it's not too hard to remember 85 titles

like the ps1 was loving loaded with shovelware too but there were so many drat games on the system you probably haven't even heard of them

The N64 always felt really depressing to me. Everything felt like an unfinished tech demo and weirdly lifeless. All the games had a blurry, indistinct quality I can't quite place.

I think of playing the N64 as a teen and I feel the physical, crushing weight of collecting 100 golden bananas or whatever the gently caress on a rainy October afternoon.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 14, 2020

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
E: accidental double post.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Nintendo are okay by me, they're filling niches others won't touch with stuff like Animal Crossing and I've never played a Mario game I didnt like (Mario 64 is probably the weakest I've played).

Kind of poo poo they seem to have poo poo on their three most intriguing properties for anyone over 8, though. Poor F-Zero, Starwing and Metroid.

Zelda never connected with me at all, it'd be cool if they'd give those games a story some day.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

!Klams posted:

I wonder if there are any highly acclaimed games that someone in this thread doesn't have the controversial opinion on that they're poo poo?

Like, does anyone here hate 'Psychonauts'? Difficult to come up with suggestions really, was gonna say Hotline Miami, but could totally understand someone objecting to the violence / perversity.

Anyway my controversial opinion is that basically all first person shooters are just 'exploring gimmicks' until that gimmick gets old and the introducing another one, where normally the gimmick is just a type of gun or enemy type. In the olden days, that was fine, because the gimmick of different guns was novel enough, but now we've seen them all at least twice. The only fps's that I can enjoy are ones that understand this and constantly introduce things that are seemingly outlandish gimmicks, like Bulletstorm or Singularity. Because, otherwise, I can just 'imagine' how it all pans out and be 90% right, which means actually doing it just feels like a waste of time. (Titanfall 2 is another fantastic more recent example).

Psychonauts has some really janky platforming, but hating it seems excessive since janky 3D platforming was the genre de jour at the time it launched.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

d3lness posted:

The best description I've heard is basically calling it a foot deep, but a mile wide. There are a lot of fun parts of you sift through the boring garbo and weird limitations. Werewolf stuff is a great example. It's core to a specific quest chain and guild, but boy howdy you better be trained up in dual wielding if you want to get any milage out of it. Thieve's guild and The Dark Brotherhood match up super well for the weapon/play style overlap you'd expect. Characters and story are also wildly inconsistent in terms of writing quality throughout. Also the main story blows and the best thing you can do is never go fight the first dragon. The game that treats dragons as a front and center feature completely drops the ball on dragons. In conclusion, Skyrim is a land of contrasts and it's fashionable to hate on it at this point. Also, dragonrend is a poo poo spell that works correctly less than half the time and makes fighting the final boss a complete loving slog.

I've "finished" Skyrim but honestly I couldnt tell you who or what the last boss was if you held a gun to my mother's head.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Chomp8645 posted:

I mean I would have to imagine it's a dragon???

Could be? But maybe a ghost??? Or a guy??????

I'll believe whatever you tell me.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

signalnoise posted:

Too many action games take forever to teach you all the things that are in it and just kinda swing from new mechanic/weapon to the next, having the player get enjoyment from the novelty of a new tool, instead of presenting encounters that feel dynamic so you can have fun just playing with the tools you're given and finding new ways to use them. Instead of having you derive fun from becoming increasingly familiar with what you've got and exploring the depth that those can provide, the game is over soon after you've got the last new tools. It's rear end

Yeah, I agree. Dark Souls has actually ruined a lot of games for me because the wireframe behind most AAA games is just so apparent now and they're more difficult to enjoy. It's like the gaming equivalent of when you take a film class and start noticing all the strings and glue for a while. The flip side of that is you recognise good craft when you see it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really enjoyed Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter as a kid, they did just enough right that as a fan of the game series I could enjoy them for being the dumb poo poo they were. The Mario film is straight up awful though, I remember first seeing that as a 8 or 9 year old in my cousins house down in Glasgow and even then I knew it was an atrocious poo poo heap. I watched it again a couple of years ago and yes its very bad but its also fascinating to watch this weird otherwordly attempt at a Mario brothers movie in a way thats oddly compelling.

The Mortal Kombat 2: Annihilation film is atrocious though, utterly irredeemable and is certainly the worst video game movie there has ever been. Saying that, I'm just looking at a list of video game movies and there is an astonishing amount that I didn't pay any attention too or just forgot was produced. Who the gently caress asked for a Prince of Persia movie, lol. Or Warcraft, Christ I'd forgot about that one. I'd forgotten about the Doom movie too, I got that in a CEX for literally 25 pence and I still haven't watched it. Max Payne and Hitman 2. God theres even 2 Silent Hill films. I'm going to assume none of these are worth seeking out.

I really really hated the first Resident Evil movie, they tried to be clever and do an original plot and have some excuse to shove Milla Jokovich in it. They should have just did a campy remake of the game with the mansion and Wesker and so on. That laser hall-way scene was awesome but I can't remember a single other thing about it.

Man, I was in seeing the Power Rangers movie as a kid when the trailer for Mortal Kombat showed and at that point I had zero idea an MK movie was on the way. I dont think my heart has ever beaten so hard in my life. I realise it's not a good movie by almost any metric, but it takes itself entirely as seriously as it should and is kind of fun. I'm not sure if it's getting jaded with age or just living in the age of everything being nerd pandering, but I have a lot of nostalgia for how that lovely, fantastic movie made me feel.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Chalk me up for another one who kind of dug the Mario film. I was a Eurotrash Sega kid, so my affection for the characters was only really lukewarm, but I liked the cyberpunk grunge/fantasy mix on it's own terms.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

If you bought a ps4, xbone, and switch, at launch and got yearly online for all of them, you've spent $2200 dollars.

$2200 can get you a very good gaming pc.

And only if I didnt have avocado toast everyday, I'd have a mansion!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm the guy that will occasionally take the one or three month options. I dont play online games much, so I'll sometimes only pick up a month or two on the rare occasion I play a bit of Call of Destiny or whatever. The free PSN games are very rarely something I feel bad about missing.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Random Stranger posted:

Looking forward to the hundreds of lockdown indie games about the struggles of an unlikable shithead as they stay in their apartment.

Can't wait for every triple AAA game to start with an unskippable sequence where I have to walk through a crumbling supermarket and hold X to focus on two awkwardly over-animated NPCs wrestling over toilet roll before an alien helicopter crashes through the roof or w/e

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DebonaireD posted:

That's a great scene. Yeah my only point was that if it's okay to shoot lots of people in a game, it's okay to shoot a dog. They're both fictional, you can be the bad guy in an rpg and burn down the orphanage because its just a role you're playing and if you're having a crisis every time you're confronted with that kind of situation then you're the one who is having a hard time telling reality from fantasy. I also do not have watery loads, I dont know where that guy got that from.

I am now convinced that not only do you absolutely have watery loads, you dont care if you hit dogs with them.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

for a console with the biggest library there is surprisingly little on the ps2 that i'd consider worth playing. when i just google a list of "the best ps2 games" the only one that really stands out as must-play is katamari damacy, but other than that one what really is there? the vast majority of the "good exclusive ps2 games" fall into either survival horror or polygonal jrpg, and i'm not convinced those games are ever really timelessly good. metal gear solid did come out on the ps2 first but has been ported a lot, god of war is just an inferior version of ninja gaiden,

then there's ico/shadow of the colossus, i guess those are good games but to actually sit down and play them makes me feel tired. like there's something "plodding" about almost every ps2 games, there's not much that's just pick up and play that's not also available on some other/better platform. the xbox doesn't have this problem, there's plenty of exclusive stuff on there that's immediately enjoyable

i'm saying this because i now own 2 ps2's but can't think of anything to play on them except katamari

The eras that ran from the PS1/N64 to a huge chuck of the XBox360/PS3 are largely full of utter poo poo.

There were plenty of good games at the time, but only a handful stand-up. Anything good has been reiterated into a much better, approachable version and this will probably continue for some time, but maybe at a slower pace.

A lot of genres were forged during that time, but fond memories of the classics of that time are often just nostalgia that is quickly dashed by atrocious loud times, depressingly ugly worlds, janky controls and painfully absent quality of life features.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

ninja gaiden and jsrf come to mind, although i guess ninja gaiden was released on ps3 (as sigma)

i know that "exclusives" is a dumb concept and not a measure of a good console, but i also kind of never really saw why the ps2 was so popular

Wasnt the DVD feature a big factor? That and GTA III seemed to seal the deal for a lot of consumers.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Nice Van My Man posted:

I wanted to like Bloodstained, but it just felt amazingly bland. Everything was fine, but the music didn't have the eclectic charm of SoTN, and none of the bosses or areas were memorable. The badass samurai was also lame, and felt like a self insert or something. And the backer portraits all over the place were ugly.

I liked Bloodstained (I think Hollow Knight is the reigning king of the genre though), but agree with this. It's missing something the Iga Castlevanias have, and I dont think it's just "being 14 years old".

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

peter gabriel posted:

These photos I took just recently of Sonic on my actual CRT:

You can see there is a lot more than 'slap a few black bars on lol' in proper scanlines and I agree with you 100%

To this day, I think the original Sonic is a beautiful game, in a way that even the good, retro Sonic games like Sonic Mania just cant capture.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sid Vicious posted:

Doesn't sonic mania use basically the same engine?

As Sonic 3 maybe, I'd guess. But the way the original Sonic used faux-polygon trees and the like still looks really stylish to me.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
So is the Bugsnax hype based around the "jumpscare" at the end of the trailer indicating a darker, more adult game or something? Because if so, I hate to tell you, but kids absolutely love creepy and gross poo poo and it doesnt read as tonally incongruent at all.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

StabMasterArson posted:

The only remaining game shop chain in the UK is literally called GAME and yeah, 90% weird star wars toys and funko pops and 10% WAY overpriced games. I have no idea how they're still in business

Grandmas, christmas and the kind of person who thinks "gamer" is a subcultural identity.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Jeza posted:

Lots of people said at the time that the Arkham Batman games had good combat, but honestly I found it pretty tiresome and repetitive.

They have really good looking, tactile combat, and it's easy to get an endorphin buzz when the number gets big, but it's not a particularly deep system and the player isn't really doing that much work.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It felt pretty transparent that R* we're trying to pander to each type of GTA player they had identified, but also do some kind of weak deconstruction of each of those gangster/player archetypes. All three were compromised and every antagonist was a loving cartoon with the same mannerisms and voice. Like, what was the difference between the gangster guy, the corrupt FBI guy and the billionaire guy personality wise?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This thread is a Soulslike because I gain a level of hollowing everytime I see the same conversation about Dark Souls descend into the thread like giant cursed suit of armour accompanied by bombastic choral music impeding any forward motion.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

fridge corn posted:

Souls-like is a garbage genre. Actual fromsoft games are really good bu virtue of just being really well done games, but everything that tries to ape them is just straight up trash

Yeah, I've yet to play one that doesnt feel like a mid-budget 360 game and the From games are some of my favourite games ever. Code Vein was embarrassing to play. I like some of the 2D ones, Hollow Knight had some Souls DNA and was great and Salt and Sanctuary was a good enough diversion.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I still believe that everyone saying FF7R is good is tricking me or has bad taste. It also seems redundant since FF7 has never loving gone away and Cloud seems to be in like 60% of all video games.

I'll check it out, but I'm seriously shocked it's not a train wreck and cant see how it couldnt be.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

signalnoise posted:

It was good enough for Judas Priest

Melvyn Grant is every bit as cool as Roger Dean, just in a different way. His work doing Iron Maiden covers with the Eddie character reminds me a lot of an old game called Chakan, which has much better lore behind it than the game deserved. It'd be rad as poo poo redone today with actually good gameplay and just expanded all around.

I loved that game, primarily for the lore and the sky level music was phat as gently caress.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rutibex posted:

i'll watch a minecraft video now and again. but i will not watch someone play videogames live, where they beg me for money and people donate in real time and stuff. thats just a creepy experience and i don't know why anyone would want it. its not even about the game at that point, its like a cam girl except the cam girl is pretending to be your friend

I really don't understand the appeal at all and its doubled by the dudes I know who have bland army man game "clans" with dubstep intros and blood splatter fonts despite pushing 40. I had one guy I used to work with get heavy into that to the extent it was the entirety of his social media, except he had this weird hate boner for people who just played games for their own sake. Like I'd post about enjoying Bloodborne or something and he'd post Reddity cartoons about people enjoying video games from Japan in response??

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Working from home, both Fall Guys and Among Us are great during lunchbreaks/when I cant be hosed doing what I'm paid for.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Witcher 3 has some of the best presentation and acting I've seen in a game, the combat loving blows though. I tried the dlc after reading so much praise and there's an early fight with a giant frog that just put me right off.

One of the few games i didn't skip a single line of dialogue though.

Was there a trick to that frog? Because I felt like I fought it for an hour.

I liked Witcher III, but I never engaged with its chore of a potions/dedocations system and I do not care to.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I slept on Prey because I thought it was related to the 3D Realms game from 2006 or so. Maybe don't give video games the exact same name as mediocre games from a decade ago, guys!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

ikanreed posted:

It's not???

Yeah, just the exact same genre with the exact same name.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

food court bailiff posted:

it's nowhere near the same genre lol

Taking the gas off the willful facetiousness a bit, are they both not FPS games? I've heard enough about Prey 2017 to check it out, but I for real was perplexed a couple of years back why an instantly forgotten 3D Realms franchise had apparently suddenly spawned a great sequel or reboot or something.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 13, 2020

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

NonzeroCircle posted:

I feel like the difficulty curve on THPS is a bit outta whack, it goes from "OK can do that" to "gently caress you". Got all the gaps except a few in Skate Heaven.
I'd like it if going through with all the pros had the regular goals in too rather than just 'find stat points, use specials, generic combos'

I'm sometimes cagey about this kind of defense, because something being optional doesnt mean it has a free card to be bad or half-assed, but you can have a hell of a lot of fun and reach a stage most people would satisfactorily call "complete" in THPS 1+2 without ever considering completing all the gaps or individual Skater challenges.

Sometimes when someone says they dislike a game because collecting all the Macguffin Y to unlock the X was a chore, its reasonable to ask why they're bothering. I know that's not exactly what you're saying, but I kind of weaved my possible unpopular opinion in there.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 23, 2020

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you joke but there are people out there who hate food and don't look forward to there 3 meals a day and want to just eat a single pill with all their nutrients

Can you imagine how much gaming time this would free up?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

solid hour per day? nowhere near as much as if i didn't have to sleep

Honestly just shove me in a Matrix pod so I can outsource all my bodily needs and desires and play some uninterrupted Destiny 2.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

From what I've read on the Internet, Disco Elysium is the video game equivalent of that one novel that all sex criminal men have read, according to some woman who writes a column.

That sounds like a very silly hot button take, but I guarantee the novel is Infinte Jest and that's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's easy dude, just for starters you don't use asterisks like you've got an unlimited supply of them. I can't show you good writing in video games because there isn't any.

Let me guess, Halo novelizations? The "literary magazine" is about manga?

Like really do you guys have some weird disease where you can't understand that using asterisks, hyphens and ellipses all over the loving place is horrendous?

Have you ever read anything in your lives that doesn't have a line of Funko pops available?

Have you ever read anything where the *quality* is based on the standard of the characterisation; insight into complex concepts -- and rich plotting rather than holding it up to an...arbitrary standard of grammar? Or do you reject Kerouac or Janice Galloway along similar lines?

poverty goat posted:

and yet it effectively communicates the speech pattern of detective kim. Maybe someone needs to just update the rules of the language.

the *italics* are a little strange to me. that's the syntax for italics on git and discord and probably ther things, so it's almost like they forgot to parse the italics or decided not to for some reason and figured this was good enough. Maybe they got so used to reading the asterisks that they forgot. I just see italics.

I know the way the text is displayed in a sidebar took inspiration from social media. It was possibly a conscious choice to have emphasis on words displayed that way too. Regardless, the quote section reads like Kim's speech patterns to me and is successful in that regard.

kntfkr posted:

It was and that lady is balls-to-the-wall stupid. I know guys who own Infinite Jest and have never read it. The only person I discuss the book with is a woman. There's nothing in the text that would make it especially appealing to sex criminals. I can see why dudes might own it just to own a huge book that can be hard to read but it's relatable for its depiction of depression, addiction and recovery. Really fail to see how it could get associated with toxic manliness or whatever.

It's got a reputation for being a book insecure guys use to performatively flex how smart they are, but I can't say if that's fair or not because I haven't read it myself.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 29, 2020