Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

what game is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

abigserve posted:

battlefield is garbage now and has been for several releases. not sure if this is unpopular but there it is

It was all downhill after BF1942

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

dk64 did help perfect dark to be a success because it sold 5 million copies and distributed 5 million expansion paks, so there was a relatively large install base that had the expansion pak for perfect dark. also, fun fact - you only needed the expansion pak for the single player mode of perfect dark. the multiplayer played just fine without it.

You needed the expansion pack if you wanted the maximum number of bots in your multiplayer match :eng101:

It's really is incredible how many features Perfect Dark had

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

veni veni veni posted:

This thread never fails to crack me up with claims that 25 year old shooters have "never been topped" Doom, perfect dark etc. I want to know what kind of brain worms make people look at some absolutely archaic game and think "it's all downhill from here folks"

Why did you put "never been topped" in quotes when nobody said that. Anyway the real FPS that's never been topped is Counterstrike 1.6

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My favorite is when a friend is like "No it's fine, I'll power level you to the endgame" and then you have no idea how any of your skills work or synergize because you had no chance to experiment and learn what does or doesn't work.

So you read a guide someone else wrote and use their build and their tactics and it's so overwhelmingly powerful you lose interest in the game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Rutibex posted:

i stopped buying consoles after ps3. its didn't seem like its was really much of an upgrade to ps4 and i still have a huge ps3 backlog

I've been waiting for the PS4 to drop in price and its still like $300 and they've already announced the PS5 (which weirdly nobody has talked about)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nah, the only thing Rimworld really does have over DF is the interface/graphics and maybe the setting.

Rimworld is good but you can't do half the crazy poo poo that is possible in DF. That said, DF is closer to EVE online in that it's often more fun to read about people's stories of the game than actually playing it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The driving in GTA4 was fantastic and if you hated it, it was probably because you never touched the brake except to reverse out of the wall you hit.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RCT was good because it was first and foremost an amusement park simulator, designing your own rollercoaster was a nice little bonus.

From what I understand Planet Coaster has this completely backwards, with the main feature being able to design and ride your own rollercoaster, and all the other parts of running a park are just kinda tacked on.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

caring about how a game advertises itself is truly an unpopular opinion I guess

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Caesar Saladin posted:

i have no idea what people see in ship combat. Like, big slowass turning circles where you strafe shots at eachother that reload too slowly, c'mon it completely sucks.

Shooting the ship is just something you do before you get within ramming distance. But if the game has no ramming/boarding then yeah it sucks

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm glad outer worlds is apparently meh/forgettable because there's already a much better game that uses those initials (outer wilds) and I'm also playing Overwatch again so people talking about OW is just confusing

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Institute was one of the most disappointing wet fart locations/factions in any game I can remember, and power armor was incredibly easy to get and maintain, trivializing 99% of the combat/environmental hazards, are the 2 complaints that pop into my head first

The only good thing Fallout 4 did was make power armor actually feel like power armor. then they ruined it by straight up giving you one in a tutorial mission and leaving power cores everywhere

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fartbox posted:

Bethesda has made plenty of decent games you dorks

did you forget what thread you're in? They haven't made a good game since morrowind, and I say that as someone that liked Fallout 3.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The cutscenes are fine.

The 20 minute codec conversations aren't

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

overwatch 2 sounds kinda good

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Majora's mask is the only good zelda game

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lodin posted:

Not that anyone gives a rats arse about the new Terminator film but there's also a game coming out next month that looks ok'ish. Actually it looks like a pretty mediocre CoD but hopefully it does scratch a bit of my need for a new Futureshock/Skynet.

This is a good post for the unpopular video game opinion thread because that looks terrible.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Caesar Saladin posted:

I agree, the console version of diablo is a really great game to smoke weed and play with your friends online, the pc version just seems like it has a less fun vibe somehow and i think i have narrowed it down to the dodge roll.

It makes a huge difference, especially considering you're hard limited to 6 ability slots. You don't want to waste one on just a movement ability.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

veni veni veni posted:

I'm probably gonna catch some poo poo for this one.

The way Battlefield 5 did female soldiers is actually pretty loving funny. I can't bring myself to care about it because it's just a video game but when you boot up the game and it's playing some somber "saving private ryan" music with a squad of all lady soldiers, decked out in full WW2 grunt gear staring determinedly into the distance, the imagery just looks funny. BF1 also had lady soldiers but used some loose historical context for it and it worked fine and no one cared, and Dice didn't act like they deserved a pat on the back for it. I can honestly see why it rubbed people the wrong way in BF5. The way they handled it was just all around corny.

That said, the dudes who lost their poo poo/are still losing their poo poo over it are absolute morons, so I kind of hate having this opinion and have never expressed it previously because of that. Overall it's cool/good/fine they added lady soldiers into military shooters, but I just think this one specific instance handled it in a way that came off as kind of dumb. And it's not even because I demand "realism" or anything, or even have a problem with there being female troops in the game. They just kind of slam you over the head with it without any grace in a way that sort of made my eyes roll.

I kinda feel the way about the all-female superhero group shot in Endgame. It's very hamfisted and corny but I'm fine with what they're going for (empowering all the little girls in the audience with the bonus of annoying all the chuds)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Chomp8645 posted:

Are they all Call of Duty bros calling people gay slurs on xbox live? Are they all playing Paradox games and just coincidentally putting in a lot of time as Germany and/or crusaders? 4000 hours in Skyrim after a trip to lovers lab?

Yes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I thought we as a society agreed that those things should have flared bases

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Shibawanko posted:

Everything about the guns in HL2 sucks, the sound effects are dull, the pistol feels impotent, it's just no fun shooting anyone. The gravity gun was a really impressive novelty but I don't find it nearly as fun as just blasting motherfuckers with a shotgun like in the first game. The enemy AI sucks compared to the first one (technically it's more sophisticated but in practice it feels a lot dumber and easier to fight), there are too many unthreatening zombies, there's really very little that I like about HL2 except that the Combine are cool.

The worst is how tiny the ammo capacity was. The assault rifle had like 120 rounds max iirc

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mind the walrus posted:

Most "AAA" games have weird, unnecessarily slow starts and kind-of suck on that basis.

also unskippable cutscenes

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Videogames, like the internet, was a mistake.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zane posted:

did anyone really like wc3? such a comedown from starcraft.. you can see blizzard's transition in that product from the little studio that could to big corporate monolith. the first thing to go was storytelling that was not completely generic.

WC3 sold millions of copies and reviewed really well, even at release so yeah. Also Blizzard was a huge company even by then, Diablo 2 absolutely massive and they ran like the free biggest multiplayer online service in the world. Not to mention one of their games was almost quite literally the national sport of an entire country. Blizzard didn't really start turning to poo poo until they merged with Activision in 2008.

Their releases since then have been SC2 (split into 3 games for some reason), Hearthstone(microtransaction city) Diablo 3(Received so terriblly it's now better supported on consoles), a bunch of lovely half-assed remakes and Overwatch.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

XCOM 2 did at least try to fix a few things that was crappy with the first XCOM (namely that the objectively superior tactic was to overwatch creep around the map and force the enemy to stumble into you)
However the fundamental flaw of how enemy 'pods' work still exist, and trying to flank an enemy is more likely to gently caress you over more than not.

Also I kind of hate 2's aesthetic(the lategame weapons and armor look awful) and being an underground guerilla force was never as appealing to me as being a clandestine special ops alien exterminators.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I like Blizzard games, especially pre-Starcraft 2

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ruffian Price posted:

Mouse in one hand, this in the other

One can dream
This is awful

doesnt even have a flared base

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Why do people call Hades GOTY? Gameplay wise it's a competent hack and slash roguelike but it doesn't do anything new or amazing, except maybe have really good presentation.

I came in expecting to be blown away but it's just ok.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I use X to crouch. C is for toggle crouch. Alt is switch fire mode

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I mute pretty much every singelplayer game after the first few hours

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The good Total Wars are:
  • Rome (2004)
  • Warhammer 2

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Khanstant posted:

Good racing games have guns on the cars or let you otherwise use weapons and items while ideally not even racing. Vigilante 8 Second Offense remains the good non-kart car game.

I'll never understand those pure racing games like Forza and Gran Turismo. The Burnout series is fun because the whole point is to make the other cars crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

it is a tremendously dorkwad thing to say but I hope Civ 7 gets back to the tech quotes being more-or-less a celebration of humanity's achievements rather than funny haha stuff. Leonard Nimoy just going "beep...beep...beep" when you discovered satellites in Civ 4 was great because it was unexpected. Nobody wants to hear what Mark Twain has to say about anything even if it is Sean Bean reading it.

:cloud: I guess whatever I'm old and I can

Also get rid of religion and spies. Has there ever been a strategy game where dealing with spies wasn't the most tedious part of the game?