Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I don't find any of the characters from Overwatch sexually attractive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Stardew Valley is fun but winter sucks and once you hit the bottom of the mine the game feels largely over. Also I don't find any of the characters sexually attractive

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

A misanthrope posted:

i don't understand why stardew or animal crossing are popular

It's because people find the characters sexually attractive

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

If you think the Monster Hunter games have "bad controls" or are "too clunky" but say the Souls games are masterpieces, then you're no man in my eyes

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I honestly don't see how someone can like one but not the other.

Maybe if you really like haunted houses and never get tired of decrepit skeleton men jumping around corners and scaring you. I also really like playing the game where your dad puts a ball under a blanket and then asks you where the ball is. Where the heck did that ball go????

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I wish the latter-day paper mario games weren't such dumbed down baby RPGs and more in line with Super Mario RPG

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I like FFXV's concepts of a boys' road trip combined with a sort of weird southwestern America aesthetic but I wish the combat was less hosed up, like seriously just copy Kingdom Hearts dudes

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Nioh is very good and I just played it for like five hours without accomplishing very much

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Rutibex posted:

if you dislike playing with other people then why do you care about the prestige of achievements

Because I gotta get those FUCKIN POINTS

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

RDR2's weapon system blows. Customization is almost pointless because all you can get is a sliver of extra range on a gun that you can already shoot perfectly if you have a plug of chaw in. There's no meaningful difference between the different kinds of repeaters and I'm not excited at the idea that I could spend money on them. Also the game will just randomly equip and unequip your guns, so you'll go for your shotgun in a scripted battle with 500 drat O'Driscolls and find you left it on the horse for some reason, leaving you to plink away with your cattleman while they shoot your horse to bits. Also, playing poker for all of $2.50 is extremely unfun, especially because everyone deals and plays slower than my grandma, and she's dead

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Sid Vicious posted:

Sorry to hear about your grandma

Thank you. I inadvertently shot her 40 times in the chest while trying to say "howdy," causing her to die

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

My favorite part of RDR2 is that, when walking around town, your choices are essentially casual stroll or full-blown sprint, causing you to shoulder check random doors and frighten everyone in the train station yet again

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Persona 5 was the first Persona game I ever really put time into after hearing my friends go on about the series for like 5 years, and the first five hours were great and stylish and the scene where you first awaken and gently caress everyone's poo poo up made realize what I'd been missing this entire time

Then you end up loving around in the minds of a series of people who you decreasingly have a personal stake in a taking down, making their dungeons feel like just so much empty item hunting. Mementos wasn't very rewarding outside of hearing the art kid say "we can get more money" every time you find a chest. To top it all off, to cap off a game about teenage rebellion and breaking free of a corrupt society's standards, your final act of sacrifice and rebellion is to sit around in juvie while your friends twiddle their thumbs and collect signatures. It felt like they were building up to an actual jailbreak, which would've been an exciting and thematically appropriate ending, but nope, you just kind of get out and get in a van. Not mention the mechanism by which you summon a giant gun god is ripped straight out of Elf, despite the game seeming to previously sell the idea that things like public approval and social media won't ever save you if they just serve to keep you inside society's guardrails. The final hours of the game just seem to continually neuter everything you were supposedly trying to do for the 50 hours previous. It left a bad taste in my mouth after such a good start.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

!Klams posted:

Just picked up Witcher 3 because everyone's always banging on about how great it is, and, yeah, it's p. good, but Geralt is absolutely unacceptable levels of Mary Sue. EVERY SINGLE conversation is hyper cringeworthy because of him, and it's so bad its definitely never going to be ok. I don't really care about that sort of thing, either, but it's just so horribly OTT I can't really understand how that isn't all anyone ever talks about.

Yeah, Geralt was pretty much the reason I couldn't get more than halfway into the Witcher. What's worse is that he's constantly surrounded by buffoons and muck-scraping peasants whose entire existence is centered around showing you how cool and smart Geralt is. He needed a good Trevelyan, a rival who is as good as him, if not better, to really challenge that character and make him look foolish from time to time. Instead you're just playing as a cat-eyed demigod who really likes card games

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Funnily enough, the Mega Man stuff demonstrates that a good way to make you identify with a character is to have another guy around who is outwardly cooler and more capable than he is, because we all have relationships like that unless you're a complete egotist. Then you can also have fun over time demonstrating that that guy is also insufficient in certain ways, and then having your protagonist succeed where he fails. You don't want to do this to the point of predictability but there's a reason the Luke/Han Solo dynamic is a good jumping-off point for writing a relatable protagonist.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

dreadmojo posted:

Gerald is treated like a plumber but for monsters

He reminds me of that Gord dude, he's constantly getting poo poo on by toothless, gormless morons, and then he demonstrates how clever and cool he is. It's not very satisfying to show up or kick the crap out of the people abusing you if they're not very competent or smart in the first place. They mostly exist just to get annihilated by griffons and offer up their daughters as payment for routine troll slaying.

Like, does anyone really identify very much with James Bond? You can envy and admire him, but you can't really identify with him. Skyfall gets close because he's old and alcoholic and sucks at least

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Mega Man is a robonarc who would have his entire misbegotten race stay in its metaphorical chains, doing menial construction work and laying explosive eggs for the man

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Finally finished RDR2, about halfway in I started ignoring every side mission and just plowed through the yellow dots so I could get the drat story over with. I feel like I'm coming down with brain cancer, the game is an achievement in a lot of ways but I found myself deeply not enjoying it half the time. Side activities like bounties and poker pay out extremely small amounts of money compared to what story missions give you, but I guess that's not a huge problem because there's barely anything to spend your money on except for a slightly faster horse and a larger wardrobe. Combat amounts to "lock on target and tilt your control stick slightly up for a headshot." The world's chockablock with animals I'll never hunt and herbs I'll never pick because the satchels and trapper clothes are completely unnecessary, and you can just buy tonics (in the rare event that you need them) instead of going through the whole struggle of actually making them. It just feels like an absolute ton of work went into building this massive environment and then they filled it with nothing. Breath of the Wild constantly rewarded you for being curious and was an absolute joy to play, RDR2 rewards your curiosity with the possibility of a 15-minute ride back to camp carrying $.75 in poor rabbit pelts.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I don't see how that helps his complaint that there's nothing interesting to do or spend money on

Right, I"d barely touched the big windfalls the story just sort of throws at you by the time I was finished. There simply isn't very much to do with money after you've picked out a couple outfits you like and purchased an elite horse. They could've made the camp upgrades more expensive and had them confer more actual game benefits, or just made camp upkeep costs more relevant. Earning cash in GTA5 meant you could buy stuff to cause some real havoc with, earning it in RDR2 means adding 5% to your Lancaster Repeater's range and putting a deer on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

You aren't wrong but you hosed up by skipping the side missions (white dots/actual missions not activities) because it's some of the best content in the game and often a welcome respite from the endless shooting gallery that is the main story.

This is really weird to me, because I really enjoyed the main story but the side missions felt like the usual overly jokey Rockstar stuff I'm not really so into. Oh boy, here comes a wacky character with some scheme for you to engage in. Other than the two escaped prisoners who outwardly hate each other's guts but keep making excuses for why they can't split up because they secretly are best buds. Those I liked.