Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Duck and Cover posted:

is pretty telling on what Grinding Gear Games thinks makes a good game.

It's in the name, man. The company was founded upon a deep contempt of gamers and knowing their lizard brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cuz it's a dense game where it's easy to get lost in the details of microing two hard fights and forgetting that you weren't suppose to spend gold reinforcing since you where saving up for something.

What I'm curious about is why is TWW2 the good one and not TWW3? Assuming you have infinite money, that is.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Duck and Cover posted:

Old Mario movie > new Mario movie. They hosed up the DK rap. They managed to go from "gently caress YEAH" to "what the gently caress is this" in like 3 seconds. Also the movie has like no story and is just a collection of references.

God, ALL the voices I hear from trailers are so far off. I want to say it's an accent thing, but that can't be the case as I've watched tons of US films and that's never been an issue. Every single time someone opens their mouth the completely wrong voice pops out - yes, even Jack Black as Bowser, which is apparently unpopular.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vic posted:

re mmo menial jobs

Being a big hero is a menial job in an mmo. You're grinding out raids and dungeons on a treadmill.

There could totally be a bunch of player driven professions where the main challenge is some kind of a card game, a puzzle game, business sim or something else.

Plenty of untapped potential there.

There was a mmo like that, A Tale in the Desert? IIRC the grind was about fabbing materials to do player-assigned tasks, voting on them nightly, and politicking for laws.

No combat, and apparently it's still running today!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SCheeseman posted:

The game shouldn't have had "boss fights" in the first place. The original Deus Ex didn't, at least not in the traditional sense.
[...]
When I think "boss fight" I think of a moment where the game stops, you're locked into an arena and you need to kill the thing with the big health bar. In Deus Ex those characters were just NPCs in the world like all the other NPCs. You didn't really have to fight or even engage with most of them.

I mean yes Deus Ex did, they may have not had big cutscene lead-ins, but Natasha/Gunther/Simmons are absolutely boss fights. Natasha in particular is a two-enter-one-leaves fight in a locked room, unless you exploit a bug. I guess you could say the bosses are a bit more diagetic, if I'm using that word right?

Human Revolution's bosses where a bit of... a change of pace, but I never really gave credence that they where inappropriate, unlike a popular sentiment at the time. The game showers you with firearms, its fundamental premise, so anyone who ditched all guns before walking into a bossfight can go to the great effort of pressing quickload and grabbing a nearby pistol then just clicking on the boss's head a few times.

edit: mixed up HR with MD.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh yea, it's absolutely a narrative disaster that came on down from up high, much like any media with intentional cliffhangers that only exist to sell a sequel that may or may not ever get written.