Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think the trouble with Bloodborne for me was that right out of the gate it was punishing in that way that says 'you're playing it wrong', to teach you how you're supposed to play it, but it meant that I was frustrated with the setting before I was enamored with it. It seemed to keep doing this. It always felt like a game first, and a world second.

I did think it was very cool, and aesthetically it really is unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've never played silent hill but it just looks like resident evil if it was not in on the joke

I think that's why everyone seemed to hate (and I loved) The Room, because it broke that mold.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Devils Affricate posted:

The Room is the Dark Souls 2 of Silent Hill

That's right, the best one.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
What was the total war game with pigs that you could set on fire and naked men? And you could set up a pitched battle of like 10,000 flaming pigs vs 10,000 naked men fighting across a bridge?

That was the good one.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

smellmycheese posted:

Does anyone else have that thing where they just bounce off most games almost immediately and then find something they like and goes absolutely all in on it? I’ve played so much garbage and then Helldivers turns up and I’m already buying T shirts and mugs lol

I find that nowadays, I'll be excited to play a big fancy game that uses my graphics card, and I'll play it, and it will feel like work. Like, I'm a few hours into Wolfenstein 2: The New Collosus, Observer, Atomic Heart and Metro Exodus, and every time I look at them on my desktop I just open Apex, Valorant, Lol or MTG Arena, where I can dip in and out. I'll end up spending a bunch of time playing those things, that I could spend playing one of the meatier titles, but while I'm playing them I feel like I'm wasting time somehow, despite the fact I should really feel much more that way about the 'empty calorie quick snack' games I'm playing instead.

I think something is breaking / broken in my brain. This never used to be the case. I'm not even really playing the good lengthy games on my Playstation anymore, opting to play hours of street fighter 6 instead of finishing God of War or Plague Tale: Requiem. A friend once pointed out to me that I like hard games, and that is absolutely not something I thought true of myself, but him saying it makes me wonder if that's what it is; these longer single player experiences don't challenge me as much? Not sure.

gently caress Observer is SO GOOD I really really don't know why I haven't gone back to it. I'm not going to today either. But I cant say why, just a weird mental block.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

roomtone posted:

playing fallout 4

i think every crafting system would be improved if you could just spend the game's money to buy the materials on the same menu as crafting the thing. this costs x steel, x gears, x wood, or 500 zenny.

does anybody enjoy going ah cool, i'm one piece of copper short to make this item. time for a treasure hunt!

you can keep the collectibles you need to justify your open world, they can discount the price, just give me the option to bypass it by using money.

For me, and, this is very very subjective, but, Fallout is the 'one' place where I actually quite like having to rummage around for specific stuff. Only because, you see all this tut in the world, and it makes sense that it's there, but it's mostly all actually garbage. But you see it and think, "You could probably actually USE some old screws" or whatever, and so, when you 'can', it feels good. You might come across an old flag, and think "I wonder if at some point there will be some history nut that's after this flag" and, there might be! But there equally might not. One man's trash is another mans treasure, and all that. I mean, In the fallout world, the money is just bottlecaps, which is still just more crap, y'know? It means you're actually foraging for poo poo. Real poo poo that exists in the world for a reason, but making do with the bits and bobs that you find useful.

If it was just generic interchangeable 'trash items' that would be less immersive. I DO think that typically it's just busywork, I sympathise with the general statement. I just feel like Fallout in particular is a world of trash, that you can make diamonds out of.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doflamingo posted:

I finally reached Baldur's Gate in BG3 and omg this game is so. loving. long. I honestly want it to be over already.

Oh, dude.

You're honestly a little less than half way through the game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

sebmojo posted:

lol me too. it was fantastic up to there though.

In case you're not sure, it's still great after that, it's a great game... but...

You didn't really miss much. Like there are a couple of poignant / hard hitting / surprising story beats, and the final confrontation is one of the most fun and satisfying culminations of a game I've played. But when you get to endgame, you stop having to worry about 'puzzling it out'. Like in the early game it was all about using weird spells to try and RP your way through, and it all worked and it was really cool and fun. When you know you can just obliterate anyone in combat, the game starts to just become like an art gallery, where you're just touring trying to find the new stuff to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Vampire Panties posted:

Star Wars Pod Racer is the 2nd best Star Wars game, behind TIE Fighter

Oh, have you never played dark forces?