Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

"open world" is a really bad trend for game design and should have remained a niche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

mega man 9 was actually really good and fun

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

SUICIDE
100%

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

voice acted bugenhaigen telling me about mako or some poo poo in a 30 minute cutscene

honey bee inn turned into a fight club with fighting

ff7 remake~

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Undertale is ugly as sin and the actual gameplay sucks.

the game is mediocre and not very fun, and its fans are some of the worst people

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

JRPGs are trash but I play them anyway becacuse I am trash

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

At the time libertarianism was not as big of a joke in the mainstream as it is today

Yeah, absolutely. There was a growing libertarian movement, later called the tea party, and the fountainhead was unironically read by "fiscal conservatives". Nowadays Ayn Rand isn't even discussed much. Maybe I'm out of touch, but the current alt-right doesn't care so much about socio-economic problems and probably have never touched the works of Rand.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Kids really really dont give a single poo poo about good story. dunno why its gotta be better

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

"why dont kids cartoons have more icons that are addicted to sex and caffeine??"
- goons, probably

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I loved so many aspects of FF15 - the world building, the characters, most of the non combat mechanics, even the menus were pretty stylish but the story might as well have not existed and I just didn't learn to love the battle system

Did they ever fix it? The combat for me was a constant fight with the camera on top of other things. It feels like there's something deeper hidden inside but it ends up being an incredibly huge mess that seriously gets in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ROB is great, they should bring back ROB

https://youtu.be/DxxvlZ1zFJ8

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

left clicking another draugr to death sounds boring and tedious and pointless whereas being engaged with the combat in elden ring is a bad thing?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Phigs posted:

I literally think Elden Ring would be a better game if half, maybe even more, of its side dungeons were just free of enemies. You know how sometimes you'll go down some stairs in a ruin and there will just be a chest there? Yeah make a bunch of caves and caverns and poo poo be like that just to lower the repetition and that alone would make Elden Ring a better game.

Having recycled enemies and the catacombs being repetitive is a legit criticism but saying catacombs/ruins should just be empty leads me to believe that you prefer games that are extremely boring. Also it's open world, you're not required to do them.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

cant play bloodborne on pc yet

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

roomtone posted:

I think permadeath in srpgs is an idea cool in theory but there's no point to it in practice because if anybody you care about dies you're just gonna reload. So really all it does is force you to replay battles which makes whatever tedium or flaws in the game hard not to notice.

I used to completely agree with this, but turning permadeath off in fire emblem makes me approach the game a completely different way. Like you can win battles through attrition, or complete objectives by suicide without being punished for it. Whereas if my character were to die permanently I have to actually be more careful and plan out how I win. Yeah I'll still reload and have to replay maps several times but it makes the game more exciting.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

petting the 14 year old half naked girl with my stylus but actually shes a 1000 year old dragon

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

synthwave is a 2010s thing to feel like the 80s, i feel like itd be out of place since cp77 is 80s but set in 2077.

i do appreciate that they have a black metal station though

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm tired of all the norse mythology. It's so overdone now and there's plenty of other cool mythologies to pull from.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

why are people horney??? asks brave goon

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The only good QTEs are in fishing minigames

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

There's still big SC2 tournaments but it seems like that genre is getting more niche since it doesn't fit the typical AAA/esports or long term games with in game purchases like fortnite, roblox or genshin.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

In Persona 4 Arena they gave Labrys a Boston accent and it was far better than choosing the typical southern accent.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

emSparkly posted:

Keep that chatGPT and AI image generation poo poo out of video games (and everything else for that matter) forever. The only kinda AI games need are the ones that know how to walk around poo poo and pick which attacks to use.

Yeah I have a feeling the first wave of AAA games utilizing gen AI about 2-3 years from now is all going to suck and not age well

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Aramis posted:

There is absolutely no way this will happen. Get real.

There will be no editing whatsoever of the generated output.

Seriously. Game developers and management can't be trusted on this and putting some kind of gen AI dialogue through game QA is going to be hell and might as well not exist.

It might also be a game design nightmare with leaving breadcrumbs for players to follow a curated game path when players can just say stupid rear end racist stuff to npcs and then wonder why they can't progress the story.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

IIRC the PSP version of FFT has a lot of lag which drags down the battles a lot, especially if you're just going to grind JP or something. I can't bring myself to ever finish that version despite really wanting to replay FFT.

The original PS1 FFT translation is so crazy and has so much charm but I can see why people prefer the newer translation.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Playing chrono trigger: hell yeah!! gently caress YEAH!!!

playing chrono cross: ok i got 3 browser tabs open how do i recruit glenn and these other guys oh wait i need to restart a previous save also idk whats going on with serge and kid

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I really should play BG3. I've just been scared off by the D&D.

I get it, I'm there with you. I'm not a fan of 5e and I'm the idiot that will turn down live D&D sessions. But BG3 is amazing.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I actually replayed the kingdom hearts games recently and they're real bad. Like, not even in a funny way because the cutscenes are stupid and silly. The gameplay is just awful, and every game is awful in a new and different way

I couldn't finish KH3 because of this. After every major setpiece and climactic fight you get insanely long and boring dialogues.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

can't you just order extra cheese, or is sauce supposed to be free but they won't give you more of the free ingredient ???

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

Honestly a rebalancing of an easy mode where they don't hit very hard would kind of just mess up the gameplay, if you could just beat the bosses down while facerolling through the attacks there isn't much of a game there at all.

This is the part I'm confused on, like people are saying that adding a mode to remove the difficulty in dark souls would not change the game or make it worse and if you don't agree you're just a smug jerk?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

yeah seriously maybe you're not enjoying bg3 because you think you have to min max and get big item instead of sucking said vampire dick

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Just going to put out there, there are far, far more RPG's with terrible plots than great ones.

A lot of RPG's have writing that's just, um I don't want to be to harsh and say really poor, but I mean yeah. Often just over relying on tropes, and endless copying of characters and plot points.

Although that is sort of just media in general. Turns out doing good and interesting original work is hard!

I'm going back to try and play FF games because I haven't finished/played them all and I have to say, a lot of them are really bad

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I bought it a while back and the royal upgrade seems to be free on psn? I'm not sure, I read you need to talk to some dude in game to unlock it after installing.

It's cool the stories are unrelated, but I guess I was also asking if I do like it are the older ones hard to go back to as far as rudimentary/unrefined mechanics etc? Older graphics don't bother me.

The Persona 3 remake comes out in a few weeks so if you like 5 you can try 3. Persona 4 Golden is also really good. Come say hi in the Persona thread.

idk about Royal being a free upgrade, it's a different version that you have to buy as its own game which adds a decent amount of stuff. I'd recommend you play Royal and not touch base P5.

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 12, 2024

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

yeah I thought SC2 was cool when it came out and then 5 years later they finished it and I never even played LotV

Same, friend. I loved the hell out of brood war but I never played LotV because the SC2 story was so poo poo plus the custom games on bnet wasn't as great as SC:BW

Reading this thread makes me want to replay and actually finish C&C Red Alert 3 because it had such amazing flavor even though I remember it not being that great as an actual RTS. I haven't played many other RTS because I thought SC:BW was the pinnacle and I'm hesitant to play anything where people say "actually this new RTS is just as good!"

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

u can jump in to any kingdom hearts game and just skip any non disney scenes. they wont make sense even if you played the others in order

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Having a gun is a way of letting the world know you are a sad, pathetic, pile of poo poo. And have a small penis.

but i dont even have a gun

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If your player numbers dropping by 91% in a month doesn't constitute tanking I dunno what does

But isn't that the trend for nearly every game? Most people move on to other things within a month. Palworld doesn't have competitve multiplayer or seasons or anything so of course it won't be a forever game like fortnite or dota.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think you even can parry in Bloodborne, you can interrupt attacks by shooting guys with a gun tho

had to do it with gascoigne but then i hardly used it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Hey, have you guys heard of this fantasy series called Dark Souls? I really think it's a hidden gem.

im interested