Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I thought it would be cool to have a place where we could discuss the politics of food.

it's hard to ignore how innately political food is: many of our dollars go towards buying it, much of it is imported at great environmental and economical cost all the gently caress around the world. It can be total industrial garbage, or total #wokebrand industrial garbage, or really delicious and amazing stuff, either from around the block or around the world. And then on top of all that, you can literally grow your own food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5RrGFBbbSY

As our horrible rock of a planet slowly deorbits the sun, and we fill the atmosphere with lots of cool gasses, it's gonna get a lot harder to feed all 8(?) billion of us. What will we do then? Probably the good old mankind standbys of kill and gently caress over lots of people. :cool:

I don't have an agenda to sell you, I just like to think about my food and ~~what it all means~~. Anyway, Bon Appetit!

You can use this space to let other people know how you've got food all figured out and have the most ethical and harmfree guidelines for eating, or you can use this space to post pictures of other posters namesEd Balls spelled out with alphabet soup. Or you can just cite cool books youve read to let us know you're better than the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i subsist solely on cum piss and electricity, i am post human

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

food is gentrification

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What is the most proletariat food? Imma say potatoes

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i buy most of my groceries from save-a-lot, aldis, and walmart

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
all the Midwest farmers I know are convinced global warming is gonna give them a competitive advantage

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

all the Midwest farmers I know are convinced global warming is gonna give them a competitive advantage

lol

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Foodwaifu

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I plan to subsist entirely on potatoes, which contain nearly everything the body needs, with a little bit of milk for protein (and fish on Fridays). I call it the Irish Springs Diet, although I'm currently fighting someone over the trademark.

Here is a p. cool book about food even if it is about perfidious Albion.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Lot less competition

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

yeah they're really gonna corner the dustbowl market

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

can you live off of taters and milk somewhat healthily?

I mean, milk isn't sustainable for poo poo in a post-apocalyptic world, so whats the point i guess

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

sustenance is not nutrition

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Lot less competition

yeah the presumption was better/longer growing seasons and anything equatorial gets obliterated , although i really doubt there's much competition from equatorial stuff w/ soybeans and corn

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

rudatron posted:

What is the most proletariat food? Imma say potatoes

*kruschevishly* corn, comrade

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im going to say the turnip

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I mean, milk isn't sustainable for poo poo in a post-apocalyptic world, so whats the point i guess

have to add oats, but yeah the three are technically complete

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

not cow's milk, no. there are other kinds. ideally it would be tiger milk because you can feed the tiger with other survivors

pig milk would also be acceptable if you can train the sow to eat the dead

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Here's an article from 2003 about John Kerry taking heat for ordering a Philly cheesesteak with Swiss cheese at Pat's instead of the more traditional whiz wit'.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
and here's a hilariously stupid New York Times post from noted dumbass Michael Barbaro on whether Jeb Bush's diet would hurt him on the campaign trail.

As it happens, Trump is apparently a super picky eater.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Here's an article from 2003 about John Kerry taking heat for ordering a Philly cheesesteak with Swiss cheese at Pat's instead of the more traditional whiz wit'.

Cheese whiz is gross, and I can say that as someone from Philly

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im suddenly remembering an ad i saw on cnn this cycle where the gist was "the population is exploding and were going to need more food but dont even trip boo, we know what the future is: petrochemicals" like it was some atomic age filmstrip, anyone recall that one?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Also here's a review from a couple years back in the New York Review of Books of two books about history + food + politics.

Books under review = Cuisine and Empire by Rachel Laudan and Cumin, Camels, and Caravans: A Spice Oddyssey by Gary Paul Nathan.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

There's a perverse part of me that really loves the technocratic hell foods we'll have to eat in the future because we hosed the earth forever

Gimme a juicy cricket sausage with some vat grown "Steak Chips" on the side and a modest glass of Soylent to wash it down

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

How dare Robo-Jeb! not put petrocheese on his vat hoagie, that's gonna cost him some support in the red states

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
grilled red snapper, avocado and watercress salad, fried plantains, and passion fruit rum

after touring the Caribbean, I've returned with strange tastes, food like that, and giving a sloppy wet blowjob to McCain, is what i want for my last meal

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

All Seafood Will Perish In A 90's KiD LiFeTIMe

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the popularity of cheese in the US is literally a government conspiracy

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Al! posted:

im suddenly remembering an ad i saw on cnn this cycle where the gist was "the population is exploding and were going to need more food but dont even trip boo, we know what the future is: petrochemicals" like it was some atomic age filmstrip, anyone recall that one?

In the 1960s there was serious research into synthesizing carbohydrates and other food from petroleum.

Just think about it we could be eating dinosaurs now if the hippies hadn't made chemicals uncool

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Man Musk posted:

All Seafood Will Perish In A 90's KiD LiFeTIMe

oh good, i'll be long dead by then

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

oh good, i'll be long dead by then

Things are looking up!

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Brother Friendship posted:

Things are looking up!

:roflolmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAvq12Sa3VE

• Locked thread