Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HHH is definitely one of the 1000 greatest wrestlers of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
One of the biggest stars in the history of wrestling who constantly puts on great matches should do midcard jobs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Julio Cruz posted:

Tell that to the people who are pissed off at Triple H being in a Mania feud.

HHH did not draw, nor did he consistently put on great matches.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like there's a reason WWE has to invent poo poo out of whole cloth like "DX turned WWF business around" to pretend that HHH was a big money drawer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah and then he let Bray get a clean pin on him. I don't know what people want from Cena anymore except "never ever ever win a match".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Julio Cruz posted:

You're deluded if you don't think Triple H has put on just as many great matches as Cena has.

John Cena has had single years with more great matches than HHH's entire career. Maybe 2000 HHH, but he only hit that peak for one year before getting hurt, and coming back a god-awful wrestler.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ostentatious posted:

I cant believe aj styles was fricken buried!!!!!

i sometimes like to think that if PSP booked a promotion it'd be complete WWE 50/50 booking out of fear of anyone getting Buried

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Julio Cruz posted:

Pick a Cena year and I'll double his number of great matches with non-2000 HHH ones. Deal?

2015, the US title run.

e) that's:
Cena v. Rollins v. Lesnar (Rumble)
Cena v. Rusev (Fastlane)
Cena v. Rusev (Extreme Rules)
Cena v. Rusev (Payback)
Cena v. KO (Elimination Chamber)
Cena v. KO (MITB)
Cena v. Cesaro (RAW, 6/29/15)
Cena v. Cesaro (RAW, 7/6/15)
Cena v. Owens (Battleground)
Cena v Rollins (RAW, 7/27/15)
Cena v. Rollins (SummerSlam)
Cena v. Rollins (NOC)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 17, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DoctorGonzo posted:

In the last ten years what are HHH great matches anyways, Ambrose and Bryan?

The Taker matches loving sucked.

Remember how loving bad the HHH/Lesnar program was

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

IcePhoenix posted:

Wasn't Cena v Sami really good as well, despite Sami loving up his shoulder before the match even started?

It was, I'm probably forgetting a shitload of great RAW matches Cena had that year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At some point I fully expect HHH to enter himself in a program with Styles to prove he can have a match as good as any of the Cena/Styles matches. (he will not)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The HHH/HBK matches are unbearable, two guys who love "epics" indulging in their worst "epic match" instincts, and the HHH/Taker and HHH/Lesnar matches sucked rear end. I don't remember that HHH/Orton match specifically but I don't remember them ever having a particularly great match, with the Mania 25 main event being the most egregiously bad one.

HHH/Batista was very good though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like HHH and Cena both have bad habits but if I'm watching a wrestling match I'll take Cena's Angle-esque bad "let's wrestle a 25 minute sprint" habits over HHH's "let's have an Epic" boring-rear end habits any day of the week because they're at least fun to watch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In fairness I'm kind of cheating because the Cena/Rollins matches are "critically acclaimed" matches I loving hate, like some the HHH/HBK matches, but I loving hate HHH so I'm using every dirty trick in the book (and besides I probably forgot some great RAW matches Cena had that year)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HBK is about as big a mark for himself as HHH and not much more successful on top of a promotion but he's at least a significantly better wrestler.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Most great wrestlers are marks for themselves. Like Bret Hart and CM Punk.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think a lot of the failure of HBK's top guy push was that he just wasn't pushed the right way, he should have constantly looked like a tough badass (like the HBK/Diesel IYH match, or the Mankind match) instead of doing whatever the hell his shtick was. If you want to say that 1995-1996 WWF was beyond his abilities to save I wouldn't argue the point too much.

rewatch HBK/Diesel, btw. It has to be the best Kevin Nash match ever, and might be a top-20 WWE match ever (HBK/Mankind is definitely a top-20 WWE match ever, and may be top-5)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 17, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ostentatious posted:

X-Pac on the merit that you forgot about him

X-Pac is almost unquestionably a better wrestler than HHH

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Didn't X-Pac have some good Indie matches when he got old and off drugs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Waltman was just born too early, I can see an alternate universe where he was born ten years later and became one of the early indie stars, like Danielson.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

HHH and Cena are both really good and influential figures in the wrestling business and while HHH almost certainly overvalues himself that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a lot of his positive reputation.

The way some of y'all are talking, HHH is Jeff Jarrett, which is just completely disingenuous. Jarrett WISHES he was HHH. On any level.

HHH is Jarrett with a bigger stage and brighter lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DDP once managed to get a passable TV match out of Renegade which pretty much makes him a five-star worker in my book.

• Locked thread