Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:siren::supaburn: HOLY poo poo GUYS, PITCHERS AND CATCHERS HAVE STARTED REPORTING :supaburn::siren:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hey I don't remember if this got posted already but the Meet The Teams thread is up. Go tell us why we should root for your team, otherwise all the newcomers are going to turn into Cubs, Yankees, or Giants fans! Or worse, Mariners and Astros fans.

MLB.tv Sharing Thread

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well guys, I'm gonna live on the edge another year:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810860

Let's give it a shot and hope for the best.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Anyone know if mlb.tv subscribers will get access to World Baseball Classic broadcasts?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Anyone know if mlb.tv subscribers will get access to World Baseball Classic broadcasts?

Yes, they will.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I took batting practice for the first time since October and now I'm sore. It's definitely spring training!

BSOHL stories, bring em on.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Moving to Chicago soon and I'm super stoked to avoid Red Line all summer and also see the Twins for like half the cost of a home game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

rickiep00h posted:

Moving to Chicago soon and I'm super stoked to avoid Red Line all summer and also see the Twins for like half the cost of a home game.

Both ballparks are on the red line :greenangel:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

otoh you have to go to Guaranteed Rate Field to see the game which probably more than outweighs the positives

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Low Interest Field has really good food though. It's actually a solid ballpark aside from the majority of games that are played there

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

rickiep00h posted:

Or you could drive up to milwaukee when the twins come and actually tailgate before the game.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm :geno: for another season of horrific Twins baseball!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually pretty excited to see the Braves play. They came on pretty well at the end of the year last year once Freddi got the boot.

Is anyone doing a MLB.tv share that I can get in on?

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
ready to see the jays rotation come back to earth and be 5 Ricky romeros

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am so fully ready for the Yankees fanbase to completely lose their poo poo that every rookie isn't Mike Trout.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Inspector_666 posted:

I am so fully ready for the Yankees Jays fanbase to completely lose their poo poo that every rookie person isn't Mike Trout Edwin.

yeah

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I'm ready to watch cost effective assets supply a marginal return on investment.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Holy loving tits baseball is almost here.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:toot:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Double posting because I love this:

quote:

From A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti
by A. Bartlett Giamatti, et al

"The Green Fields of the Mind "
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped, and summer was gone.

Somehow, the summer seemed to slip by faster this time. Maybe it wasn't this summer, but all the summers that, in this my fortieth summer, slipped by so fast. There comes a time when every summer will have something of autumn about it. Whatever the reason, it seemed to me that I was investing more and more in baseball, making the game do more of the work that keeps time fat and slow and lazy. I was counting on the game's deep patterns, three strikes, three outs, three times three innings, and its deepest impulse, to go out and back, to leave and to return home, to set the order of the day and to organize the daylight. I wrote a few things this last summer, this summer that did not last, nothing grand but some things, and yet that work was just camouflage. The real activity was done with the radio--not the all-seeing, all-falsifying television--and was the playing of the game in the only place it will last, the enclosed green field of the mind. There, in that warm, bright place, what the old poet called Mutability does not so quickly come.

But out here, on Sunday, October 2, where it rains all day, Dame Mutability never loses. She was in the crowd at Fenway yesterday, a gray day full of bluster and contradiction, when the Red Sox came up in the last of the ninth trailing Baltimore 8-5, while the Yankees, rain-delayed against Detroit, only needing to win one or have Boston lose one to win it all, sat in New York washing down cold cuts with beer and watching the Boston game. Boston had won two, the Yankees had lost two, and suddenly it seemed as if the whole season might go to the last day, or beyond, except here was Boston losing 8-5, while New York sat in its family room and put its feet up. Lynn, both ankles hurting now as they had in July, hits a single down the right-field line. The crowd stirs. It is on its feet. Hobson, third baseman, former Bear Bryant quarterback, strong, quiet, over 100 RBIs, goes for three breaking balls and is out. The goddess smiles and encourages her agent, a canny journeyman named Nelson Briles.

Now comes a pinch hitter, Bernie Carbo, onetime Rookie of the Year, erratic, quick, a shade too handsome, so laid-back he is always, in his soul, stretched out in the tall grass, one arm under his head, watching the clouds and laughing; now he looks over some low stuff unworthy of him and then, uncoiling, sends one out, straight on a rising line, over the center-field wall, no cheap Fenway shot, but all of it, the physics as elegant as the arc the ball describes.

New England is on its feet, roaring. The summer will not pass. Roaring, they recall the evening, late and cold, in 1975, the sixth game of the World Series, perhaps the greatest baseball game played in the last fifty years, when Carbo, loose and easy, had uncoiled to tie the game that Fisk would win. It is 8-7, one out, and school will never start, rain will never come, sun will warm the back of your neck forever. Now Bailey, picked up from the National League recently, big arms, heavy gut, experienced, new to the league and the club; he fouls off two and then, checking, tentative, a big man off balance, he pops a soft liner to the first baseman. It is suddenly darker and later, and the announcer doing the game coast to coast, a New Yorker who works for a New York television station, sounds relieved. His little world, well-lit, hot-combed, split-second-timed, had no capacity to absorb this much gritty, grainy, contrary reality.

Cox swings a bat, stretches his long arms, bends his back, the rookie from Pawtucket who broke in two weeks earlier with a record six straight hits, the kid drafted ahead of Fred Lynn, rangy, smooth, cool. The count runs two and two, Briles is cagey, nothing too good, and Cox swings, the ball beginning toward the mound and then, in a jaunty, wayward dance, skipping past Briles, feinting to the right, skimming the last of the grass, finding the dirt, moving now like some small, purposeful marine creature negotiating the green deep, easily avoiding the jagged rock of second base, traveling steady and straight now out into the dark, silent recesses of center field.

The aisles are jammed, the place is on its feet, the wrappers, the programs, the Coke cups and peanut shells, the doctrines of an afternoon; the anxieties, the things that have to be done tomorrow, the regrets about yesterday, the accumulation of a summer: all forgotten, while hope, the anchor, bites and takes hold where a moment before it seemed we would be swept out with the tide. Rice is up. Rice whom Aaron had said was the only one he'd seen with the ability to break his records. Rice the best clutch hitter on the club, with the best slugging percentage in the league. Rice, so quick and strong he once checked his swing halfway through and snapped the bat in two. Rice the Hammer of God sent to scourge the Yankees, the sound was overwhelming, fathers pounded their sons on the back, cars pulled off the road, households froze, New England exulted in its blessedness, and roared its thanks for all good things, for Rice and for a summer stretching halfway through October. Briles threw, Rice swung, and it was over. One pitch, a fly to center, and it stopped. Summer died in New England and like rain sliding off a roof, the crowd slipped out of Fenway, quickly, with only a steady murmur of concern for the drive ahead remaining of the roar. Mutability had turned the seasons and translated hope to memory once again. And, once again, she had used baseball, our best invention to stay change, to bring change on.

That is why it breaks my heart, that game--not because in New York they could win because Boston lost; in that, there is a rough justice, and a reminder to the Yankees of how slight and fragile are the circumstances that exalt one group of human beings over another. It breaks my heart because it was meant to, because it was meant to foster in me again the illusion that there was something abiding, some pattern and some impulse that could come together to make a reality that would resist the corrosion; and because, after it had fostered again that most hungered-for illusion, the game was meant to stop, and betray precisely what it promised.

Of course, there are those who learn after the first few times. They grow out of sports. And there are others who were born with the wisdom to know that nothing lasts. These are the truly tough among us, the ones who can live without illusion, or without even the hope of illusion. I am not that grown-up or up-to-date. I am a simpler creature, tied to more primitive patterns and cycles. I need to think something lasts forever, and it might as well be that state of being that is a game; it might as well be that, in a green field, in the sun.

From A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett
Giamatti, © 1998 by A. Bartlett Giamatti.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kensei posted:

One of my favorite pieces of prose.

Also :rip:
https://twitter.com/rotoworld/status/831561974584639488

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My body is ready for the Astros to underperform their projections again

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
gently caress me if Reyes is out for the year. Also a random gently caress Mike Leake.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Popete posted:

I took batting practice for the first time since October and now I'm sore. It's definitely spring training!

BSOHL stories, bring em on.

I've lost a lot of weight and I'm ready to play!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bob James posted:

Holy loving tits baseball is almost here.

:woop:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I added thirty pounds of pure muscle to my gut region and I'm ready to throw hard and hit dingers

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

HOLY SWEET JESUS ITS FINALLY HERE AGAIN.

Also,
the first day. On the first loving day.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Waiting to hear if the Twins will have any pitchers or catchers this year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/831566065251397632

:getin:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

kensei posted:

[url=http://mason.gmu.edu/~rmatz/giamatti.html]

I'm glad of it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Probad posted:

Waiting to hear if the Twins will have any pitchers or catchers this year.

They signed Jason Castro and Ervin Santana was p good last year.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

I added thirty pounds of pure muscle to my gut region and I'm ready to throw hard and hit dingers

sure thing, Pablo

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
gently caress yeah its time to :justpost: about the Reigning And Defending World Series Champion Chicago Cubs

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm ready for the Mariners to finish a couple of games out of the Wild Card and miss the postseason for the 16th consecutive year!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

nooooooo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

will_colorado posted:

the first day. On the first loving day.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/831574031778344961

Real talk: This loving sucks, watching him in the Futures game was amazing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Real talk: This loving sucks, watching him in the Futures game was amazing.

I am a Cubs fan, I hate watching the Cubs lose to the Cardinals, and this kid styled over us last year and was primed to repeat this year, only now as an actual starter.

So real talk: This loving sucks, Reyes has phenomenal stuff and watching good pitchers own is always great even if it's against your team. On the first day, too. What the gently caress, baseball gods? :(

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

gently caress the Yankees
gently caress the Red Sox
gently caress the Orioles
gently caress the Royals
gently caress the Rangers
gently caress the Cardinals
gently caress the Angels
gently caress your teams prospects

I am mildly interested at the outcome of deciding the Jays bullpen.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Drunk Canuck posted:

gently caress the Royals
gently caress the Angels

But not the Mariners!!

...right? :ohdear:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

iospace posted:

Or you could drive up to milwaukee when the twins come and actually tailgate before the game.

lovely thing is the games are during the middle of the week so most people would have to take off of work to go to the other ballpark.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Drunk Canuck posted:

gently caress the Royals
gently caress the Angels

Go Astros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Intruder posted:

Go Astros

Nah

• Locked thread