Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

I'm still waiting for the Yankees to drop their facial hair policy. Let the players do whatever with their hair, I say

They should allow beards on a case by case basis. For example: Carlos Beltran would get an exemption, Andrew Miller would not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I hope the fat baseball mummy builds a pyramid of dingers in Chicago this year.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I am writing the NPB previews and I got a question for yous....

When I give the position player "/" line is there any other stats you think might be important

What would be a Pitcher's "/" line? I got ERA / WHIP / K/BB and I am going to add K/9. Anything else that I am forgetting?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ScottyJSno posted:

I am writing the NPB previews and I got a question for yous....

When I give the position player "/" line is there any other stats you think might be important

What would be a Pitcher's "/" line? I got ERA / WHIP / K/BB and I am going to add K/9. Anything else that I am forgetting?

FIP for pitchers and wRC+ if it's available for batters?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/831684370029232128

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Carlosologist posted:

I'm still waiting for the Yankees to drop their facial hair policy. Let the players do whatever with their hair, I say

I agree. Brian McCann (who I only just remembered is no longer a Yankee, but still) is a dude who really, REALLY needs to be bearded at all times.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Mark Reynolds turned down a $3 million offer from a Korean team; received multiple minor league offers and chose to re-sign with Colorado.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/14/mark-reynolds-turned-down-3-million-return-to-rockies/

Mark Reynolds, you are officially a cool fuckin' dude.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

reyes going down is big bummer, guess whatever is left of wacha will be back in the rotation now

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm actually pretty excited to see the Braves play. They came on pretty well at the end of the year last year once Freddi got the boot.
They were fun to watch the last half of last year and should be even more this year between old guys like Bartolo and new guys like Dansby. They may do the opposite and get worse in like July selling decent veterans who got hot to make room for Ruiz or Albies or whatever pitcher looks like they're gonna pan out at the moment (Newcomb? Soroka?). But what I realized last year is even a bad baseball team wins like 40% of their games so just watch all of them and it can't hurt that bad.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hope Michael Brantley is able to play this year. If he's nearly as good as 2014-15 then the Indians lineup looks to be exceptional.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They were fun to watch the last half of last year and should be even more this year between old guys like Bartolo and new guys like Dansby. They may do the opposite and get worse in like July selling decent veterans who got hot to make room for Ruiz or Albies or whatever pitcher looks like they're gonna pan out at the moment (Newcomb? Soroka?). But what I realized last year is even a bad baseball team wins like 40% of their games so just watch all of them and it can't hurt that bad.

You are so right about this. As bad as the Braves were, the season still had some enjoyable moments. I think having the team come out and finally say "we're rebuilding" made it easier.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:rip: confirmed

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/831871542615298048

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 15, 2017

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

on the other hand, he's not actually dead, which is a nice surprise for cardinals fans

Phonoxen
Feb 15, 2017

As you can see, we've had our eye on you for some time now, Mr. Anderson.
IT'S BASEBALL TIME EVERYONE

COMING SOON TO MY FAVORITE STADIUM, GUARANTEED RATE FIELD

poo poo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: This article about a Fernandez-less spring training, though overwritten, is a bit of a gutpunch.

quote:

Jose, Dee said, would want them to soldier on and have fun and win ballgames … and he stopped himself. He shook his head.

“I honestly feel like that’s a lie,” Dee said. […] “Jose would not want us to keep going without him,” he said. “He’d want to be here. [Like,] ‘Don’t forget me. Wait for me.’”

V:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

will_colorado posted:

Mark Reynolds turned down a $3 million offer from a Korean team; received multiple minor league offers and chose to re-sign with Colorado.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/14/mark-reynolds-turned-down-3-million-return-to-rockies/

he probably couldn't see any reason to go with another team

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Mark Reynolds had a career .230 average coming into last year, and had a .282 batting average last year with .310 at home in Colorado.

lol Coors

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Dunno if it's his best shape but it's a goddamn beautiful one all the same

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shiroc posted:

I hope Michael Brantley is able to play this year. If he's nearly as good as 2014-15 then the Indians lineup looks to be exceptional.

I think they either need him to return to form or have Zimmer be ready now if Cleveland wants to go back to the WS

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

N:

elentar posted:

Dunno if it's his best shape but it's a goddamn beautiful one all the same

V: Bartolo Col-owns.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has Bartolo ever won a WS?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Has Bartolo ever won a WS?

Nope. His first appearance in one was with the Mets.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Well I hope he performs well enough for a deadline deal. Ideally for myself, he'd end up back in Cleveland and he'd help us win. That would rule.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bartolo actually looks like he lost a little weight in that photo.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bartolo is literally one of my favorite yankees of all time and he pitched 160 innings of yankee baseball.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bartolo is literally one of my favorite yankees of all time and he pitched 160 innings of yankee baseball.

I love him for a few reasons

-Trading him (and Tim Drew) to the 'Spos netted Cleveland an incredible haul: Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Lee Stevens and Brandon Phillips. If only we could have gotten something good for Phillips when we sent him to Cincy, it might have been the best trade in franchise history. It might be anyways. Still pretty amazing either way, though. Plus he pitched pretty well for Cleveland while he was here: 75-45, 3.92 ERA. And that was before he learned to have better control.

-He's a true character. Sports needs characters to be interesting.

-The most hapless hitting pitcher ever, sans that bomb he hit last year.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Bartolo Colon and Brandon Phillips were traded for each other 15 years ago, and they're teammates in Atlanta for the first time this year. Besides Phillips, he's outlasted every prospect he was traded for.

will_colorado posted:

I'm a little sad we wouldn't get a chance to see Mark Reynolds tee off against Korean pitchers though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

jabro posted:

Nope. His first appearance in one was with the Mets.

it's his penance for stealing Johan's Cy Young

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Man remember when Johan Santana murdered his arm to deliver a no-hitter to the Mets and then basically never pitched again.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Just got my MLB.tv renewal notice -- does anyone know if the same sharing rules (5 concurrent streams) apply this year?

Phonoxen
Feb 15, 2017

As you can see, we've had our eye on you for some time now, Mr. Anderson.

Not That Into You posted:

Just got my MLB.tv renewal notice -- does anyone know if the same sharing rules (5 concurrent streams) apply this year?

I don't know that there was ever a formal 'rule' like this - that's just what groups have been limiting themselves to in order to avoid drawing any attention from MLB. IIRC there was some trouble last year with people having accounts completely shut down, but I think that had more to do with group members using VPN proxies than with the size of groups - my group of five had no problems last year, anyway.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

-Trading him (and Tim Drew) to the 'Spos netted Cleveland an incredible haul: Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Lee Stevens and Brandon Phillips. If only we could have gotten something good for Phillips when we sent him to Cincy, it might have been the best trade in franchise history. It might be anyways. Still pretty amazing either way, though. Plus he pitched pretty well for Cleveland while he was here: 75-45, 3.92 ERA. And that was before he learned to have better control.

I think Lee Stevens was supposed to be the centerpiece of that deal

lol

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Paul Zuvella posted:

Man remember when Johan Santana murdered his arm to deliver a no-hitter to the Mets and then basically never pitched again.

I remember when he got locked up in the Citifield on-site dungeon for assaulting his father in law or whatever.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

I remember being annoyed because Beltran totally did get a hit, but it left the Padres as the only franchise without a no-hitter, which is funnier.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

FIP for pitchers and wRC+ if it's available for batters?

Those aren't usually on the NPB stats but if anyone finds a site that creates them, I'd love to see it.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I remember when he got locked up in the Citifield on-site dungeon for assaulting his father in law or whatever.

I thought that was KRod. Well, it happened to KRod, I dunno if Johann did it, too.

I'm pretty sure Expos fans remember that trade as the trade that was the final nail in the coffin for the franchise because MLB would not allow them to add any money, meaning additional players, to their 40 man for the last month of the season and the sentiment was that other teams were actively colluding against them as punishment for giving up so much for Colon.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 15, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

Those aren't usually on the NPB stats but if anyone finds a site that creates them, I'd love to see it.

That's what I figured. Since you need to calculate league avg constants for them I assume it would be pretty hard to generate them on the fly.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

That's what I figured. Since you need to calculate league avg constants for them I assume it would be pretty hard to generate them on the fly.
I think NPB does give you SF against pitchers which is the one small stat that most non-MLB leagues don't give you that allows you to get FIP. So I think it's doable if someone puts in a little bit of time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Tom Gorman posted:

That is so loving awful about Reyes.

Save us Florp Grobnar.

Do the Cardinals factor name in when they're scouting a player?

"Ok, we have 2 potential players we could take with our next pick. Both are essentially the same player. Who should we take? Joe Williams, or Lipstock Garahannon?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/831934952304496658

V1: Wheeler ded

V2: Please go away and let Gsellman and/or Lugo be great, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tadashi posted:

I thought that was KRod. Well, it happened to KRod, I dunno if Johann did it, too.

Ah I think you might be right. My bad.

• Locked thread