Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

YeahTubaMike posted:

N: https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/831934952304496658

V1: Wheeler ded

V2: Please go away and let Gsellman and/or Lugo be great, tia

The Mets training staff heard about Reyes needing TJS and, not to be one upped, immediately set about killing their own pitchers.

e. In other news Arrieta has apparently reversed course and says he's open to extension talks and would like to remain a Cub:

quote:

"I think time flies quickly," Arrieta said before the first workout for pitchers and catchers. "It feels like only a few months ago that I was traded over here and starting my career as a Cub in 2013 and had some incredible experiences with that organization. I owe a lot to this team, this organization, the ownership. But I don’t want to see that time come to an end, my time as a Cub.

"Unfortunately, the business side of the game shows its head every once in a while. But I still think there’s opportunity and chances we can have good conversations as far as an extension is concerned and see if we can get some work done."

Sydin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can confirm in person today that Bartolo is in the BSOHL

Also he had someone bring him his car

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

In other news Arrieta has apparently reversed course and says he's open to extension talks and would like to remain a Cub:
Shockingly, he is less amped to test free agency after having a regression year than he was after having a career-best year. Who could have guessed?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, yes, that is the reasonable conclusion most people here guessed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think Lee Stevens was supposed to be the centerpiece of that deal

lol

Pretty sure you're right. Thank goodness Sizemore and Lee were so good for a few years there. Stevens hit like caca as a member of the Tribe.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Shockingly, he is less amped to test free agency after having a regression year than he was after having a career-best year. Who could have guessed?

As recently as last month he was fairly adamant about not being interested in extension talks, something else is going on besides his down year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Let's start 2017 off right with some pitchface.

It's no Zombie Jeff Karstens, but we're just getting started here.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Let's start 2017 off right with some pitchface.

It's no Zombie Jeff Karstens, but we're just getting started here.

Have some Rosey shitface, I mean pitchface.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

As recently as last month he was fairly adamant about not being interested in extension talks, something else is going on besides his down year.

Pitchers got jack poo poo this free agency is probably what is going on.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/215994746/padres-bethancourt-eyes-pitcher-catcher-role/

Padres catcher Christian Bethancourt is living every bench player's dream. He pitched in a couple blowouts last year, and showed enough that the Padres want him to keep doing it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
No photos yet, but Felix Hernandez had a huge workout regimen and apparently gained like 15 pounds of muscle for #BSOHL alert.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Anyone have a link to the MLB.tv thread? I can't find it.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Der Meister posted:

Anyone have a link to the MLB.tv thread? I can't find it.

People keep asking about it, but no one has posted the thread yet.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Here's the link to last year's thread. Maybe there is no 2017 iteration yet.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I pinged the mlb.tv thread OP of the last few years, Jose Oquendo, and the cracking down of sharing/VPN stuff on accounts made it seem to him that sharing wasn't a great idea anymore. My account has been shared for years and I used unblock-us all year last year with no issues, but I'm still a bit too skittish about it to risk banishment. If anyone wants to make a thread though, go nuts!

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I have one spot open in my MLB.tv group if anyone is interested.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I have one spot open in my MLB.tv group if anyone is interested.

That's what? $20? If so, I'm in.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Yeah I only had one goon ask about joining my group but I decided to not even get an mlb.tv account this year. I think I watched 1-2 games on it. I barely have time for Angels games and I can't use that for them anyways. Maybe if they lift the blackouts or if they let me enter my TWC information I'd get it again, but meh.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I feel bad for the guy who has to try and replace Vin Scully this year .

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Dodger fans feel free to correct me but as I understand it Charlie Steiner was already doing the road games Vin no longer traveled to, and/or whatever TV broadcasts haven't been nuked by the dish/cable/etc tug of war that was (is?) still going on in that market.

So any "new" guy would be insulated from having to fill Vin's shoes

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

It's Joe Davis and I'm a fan of him thus far. It's best when the booth is just him and Orel but sometimes they add Nomar too and it turns into a clusterfuck.

edit: Last year they hired Joe Davis to be the main pbp guy on tv for away games. He worked with Orel Hershiser and Nomar Garciaparra (sometimes) as the color guys. Davis is young and has a solid understanding of modern baseball analytics. He has done a good job of including some concepts into broadcasts and getting Orel to reflect on them. He'll mention stuff like contact rate or refer to a guy as "25% better than a league average hitter" in reference to wRC+ without actually naming the acronym. Davis is also very active on twitter (actually engages with fans and replies to things) which I think is a good thing for someone in that position.

Steiner and Monday are pretty much radio-only at this point which is good cause they fuckin' suck.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 16, 2017

Arnold Layne
Nov 4, 2008

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article132981224.html

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

sometimes I just have to close my eyes, block everything in the world out and think about baseball

now is one of those particular times

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
N: Doctors have cleared Schwarber to catch

V: Limit him to 30 or fewer games behind the plate and that seems fine.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

tadashi posted:

I think NPB does give you SF against pitchers which is the one small stat that most non-MLB leagues don't give you that allows you to get FIP. So I think it's doable if someone puts in a little bit of time.

I made a FIP 2016 Spread sheet and now have that stat on my previews.

http://1point02.jp/op/index.aspx
has the saber for the top 20 or so players if you want to pay you cane get more.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

I hope they build a Diplomacy Machine that spins and lights up with flying baguettes and unfiltered cigarettes every time an accord or deal is signed.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Good Dog posted:

Yeah I only had one goon ask about joining my group but I decided to not even get an mlb.tv account this year. I think I watched 1-2 games on it. I barely have time for Angels games and I can't use that for them anyways. Maybe if they lift the blackouts or if they let me enter my TWC information I'd get it again, but meh.

The Giants, and at least one other team with a CSN/NBC based RSN (maybe all of them?), have done a nice thing and are streaming their games to fans in the blackout zone on the condition that you use a carrier login from someone in the blackout zone and also that you are watching from physically within the blackout zone. You just have to use the NBC Sports app for the various streaming devices.

So calling Vegas part of the San Francisco broadcast zone (and five other teams because MLB honestly thinks we should pay for six out-of-state RSNs) has gone from a horrid curse to a dumbass's blessing, because my Comcast SF account should should be alright for watching their games this year.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

You can do the same with an FSN app but the FSN app is horrible.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are they the same across all sub FSNs? The Fox Sports South one the Braves are on sucks balls. Just randomly rejects your valid cable login half the time.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Luigi Thirty posted:

You're a Tampa Bay goon, right? I don't know if it's changed since I moved from Florida in 2015, but when I switched from Bright House to Wow! I guess MLB had no idea what that ISP was and suddenly the Rays were never blacked out for me. :monocle:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ballz posted:

You're a Tampa Bay goon, right? I don't know if it's changed since I moved from Florida in 2015, but when I switched from Bright House to Wow! I guess MLB had no idea what that ISP was and suddenly the Rays were never blacked out for me. :monocle:

The rays should always be blacked out

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I drove by MMP yesterday to watch some of the construction crews. Tal's Hill is officially gone (being replaced currently by a new wall and some seating) so no one has to complain about it ever again. Straight-away center field is now shorter as a result as well.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Wow that kind of sucks. RIP Tal's Hill. It was pretty unsafe, but led to some spectacular catches as well.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Jared Kushner's family says it won't buy Marlins if Jeffrey Loria becomes ambassador to France.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is so weird.

What would be hilarious is if Loria was able to cozy up to someone politically, so to speak, in order to sell another team.

ScottyJSno posted:

I made a FIP 2016 Spread sheet and now have that stat on my previews.

http://1point02.jp/op/index.aspx
has the saber for the top 20 or so players if you want to pay you cane get more.

This is awesome. Is there a button I can press to translate to English? Using Chrome made some interesting names like wRC+ leader "Cylinder incense Jia Ji" and batting title contender "In the corner Katsuya".

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 16, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I would probably be a little more outraged about the Marlins sale and ambassador thing if the sale price seemed to be more on the "sweetheart" level than on the "overvalued" one.

(Also ambassadorships to western Europe have been totally just friend assignments since forever, all those people have to do is dress nice and show up at parties.)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I would probably be a little more outraged about the Marlins sale and ambassador thing if the sale price seemed to be more on the "sweetheart" level than on the "overvalued" one.

(Also ambassadorships to western Europe have been totally just friend assignments since forever, all those people have to do is dress nice and show up at parties.)

Agreed. It's just funny or sad that one of the most coveted assignments (I'd guess) is possibly going to the biggest super villains MLB has known since Bud Selig owned a team.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Kris Bryant got pranked.

He thinks he's taking BP off a sound guy. Turns out the sound guy is Greg Maddux.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/greg-maddux-pranks-kris-bryant/#xOCL4vWDL1YMc3Kx.97

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would be too perfect if Trump killed something else I loved (the sale of the Marlins).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Your Taint posted:

Kris Bryant got pranked.

He thinks he's taking BP off a sound guy. Turns out the sound guy is Greg Maddux.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/greg-maddux-pranks-kris-bryant/#xOCL4vWDL1YMc3Kx.97

lol

• Locked thread