Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

It did give us the Cory. Lidle thread, which remains the best moment in SAS history

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Pedro Baez slow at pitching. Obviously not news, but fun to see drawn out in such excruciating detail.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Holy sweet Jesus gently caress how have I never seen this?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Moncada's kid's bat flip game is starting out strong.

https://twitter.com/PlayBall/status/832620644248412165

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

:kimchi:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Look at that hustle, too!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I went to a little league game two years ago and it had hilarious poo poo like this. A kid that slid into every base. Fifteen kids in the infield. A kid in the outfield eating grass. A kid that never threw the ball and just tried to outrun the runner to first. A kid that hit the base of the tee every single time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Little league is the only time were it's acceptable and cool as hell to slide into 1st.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
when i did tee ball in like 1st grade was the tallest kid in my grade by a good 7" and the school only had 1 non-adjustable tee so the dad who was in charge of the team just kept a couple cinder blocks at the school diamond to put the tee on for me. then he'd go scrambling in after every time i made contact to pull the cinderblocks out of the way before anyone ran into them. a funny sight but a good dad.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Rand alPaul posted:

I went to a little league game two years ago and it had hilarious poo poo like this. A kid that slid into every base. Fifteen kids in the infield. A kid in the outfield eating grass. A kid that never threw the ball and just tried to outrun the runner to first. A kid that hit the base of the tee every single time.

"Stop playing with the dirt" -- me, about every 6 minutes coaching my team.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My sister and I played little league together & I'm a lefty and she's a righty. She was so bad the coaches asked her to try throwing lefty :lol:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
When I was in tee ball I turned an unassisted double play and that was awesome

Also I hit a ball that nailed my coach in the dick and balls, and that was also awesome

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was a tee ball pitcher. I made sure to religiously look runners back to the bag before fake throwing. I'd even do it when no one was on base.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Grittybeard posted:

I was a tee ball pitcher.

:psyduck:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hey, someone has to play the position :colbert:

I went on to be an actual pitcher for a while but I think my true glory days were standing on the mound at five years old, staring down the batter without a ball in my hand.

vv--I honestly didn't know there was another way to do it, I haven't been to a tee ball game maybe since I was playing in one

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 17, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

i have seen little kid teeball leagues where they play pitcher's hand rules so you have to have a kid standing there to play the position.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oops actually after looking it up/remembering backyard baseball it wasn't pitcher's hand rules. My job was literally to stand there and fake like I was throwing a pitch to let the batter know the defense was ready?

Hell I don't know, things were weird in the 80s.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

At the low end of the Babe Ruth league we had as a kid, they used a pitching machine and a kid had to man a position around it as "pitcher". We also center left and center right fielders. Those days were fun because I was a singles/doubles monster.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Jubs posted:

My brothers boss is in his second year on the job and needs something witty that's Angels related for the birthday card.

Anything?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Explosionface posted:

At the low end of the Babe Ruth league we had as a kid, they used a pitching machine and a kid had to man a position around it as "pitcher". We also center left and center right fielders. Those days were fun because I was a singles/doubles monster.

our school's diamond didn't have a fence and nobody ever thought to draw a line or anything, so technically i hit probably 100 inside-the-park home runs in my tee ball career.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

My sister and I played little league together & I'm a lefty and she's a righty. She was so bad the coaches asked her to try throwing lefty :lol:

I got to play 1 season with my brother on the same team. I was 9 when he was 12. I had the best OBP so coach batted me leadoff. There was one game where I had no official at-bats, 4 walks and 4 runs. My brother, batting 3rd, drove me in all 4 times with 2 doubles and 2 home runs. We were a finely tuned scoring machine.

edit: earlier leagues usually featured half coach pitch / tee-ball and then the rest was kid pitch. So many wild pitches in the later innings.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jubs posted:

Anything?

The Los Angeles Angels wish you a Happy Feliz Cumpleaņos Birthday

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wish my little-league coach had been cool but instead he was a hyper-competitive jackass who regularly poo poo on seven year-olds for not being naturally talented as baseball. Unfortunately I fell into this category and after failing to instantly perform at any position I was relegated to LF and never given any form of instruction on anything until I finally quit. Also the only hit I ever got was a weak infield dribbler and after the inning was over coach came up to me and called it a "pussy hit".

Manhattan, IL was and probably still is a terrible place.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

IcePhoenix posted:

The Los Angeles Angels wish you a Happy Feliz Cumpleaņos Birthday

He went with "Hope your birthday doesn't suck like the Angels do."

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jubs posted:

Anything?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2014_ALDS1.shtml

Something regarding that should make him happy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sydin posted:

I wish my little-league coach had been cool but instead he was a hyper-competitive jackass who regularly poo poo on seven year-olds for not being naturally talented as baseball. Unfortunately I fell into this category and after failing to instantly perform at any position I was relegated to LF and never given any form of instruction on anything until I finally quit. Also the only hit I ever got was a weak infield dribbler and after the inning was over coach came up to me and called it a "pussy hit".

Manhattan, IL was and probably still is a terrible place.

If it's anything like my experience he probably didn't know poo poo about baseball either. Growing up my dad knew more about baseball than any of my actual coaches (he didn't have the time to coach because of work) and he didn't know all that much. In high school we were lucky enough to have an old minor league guy and it was like night and day. Just like, the concept of soft toss was new to all of us and that's the easiest thing in the world to do. All you need is two guys, a bat and a ball. Maybe a chain link fence if you don't have people to shag and just want to work on your swing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I only played 1 year of baseball in high school and I was on the JV team. We were absolutely terrible, a bunch of us just signed up to play cause we were bored and thought it would be funny. The coach was our math teacher who had never coached before. We won only a single game all year and usually we got mercy ruled by the 3rd inning. It was really fun though and it's what made me want to get back into playing after college.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Goose Gossage is an angry old man who thinks Mo Rivera didn't pitch enough and everyone today is a baby. Also something something steroids.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Goose is determined to destroy his legacy

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Is there a single person on earth who doesn't think Mariano Rivera is 2-to-3 times better than Goose? Besides Goose of course

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"Dave Stewart: ‘My gut the whole time said I shouldn’t move Dansby Swanson.’"

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/02/15/dave-stewart-my-gut-the-whole-time-said-i-shouldnt-move-dansby-swanson/

lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sure, for one inning

For me the most old man thing Goose does is rail about the audacity of trying to prevent young pitchers from blowing out their arms

Am I imagining things or is there a smug Goose smilie that I can't seem to find?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cubs need to trade for this guy and make him lester's personal catcher forming the Yips Battery
https://twitter.com/CSNNE/status/832666355715313664

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Intruder posted:

Sure, for one inning

For me the most old man thing Goose does is rail about the audacity of trying to prevent young pitchers from blowing out their arms

Am I imagining things or is there a smug Goose smilie that I can't seem to find?

Well we have :smugbird: but that's an Oriole

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

R.D. Mangles posted:

cubs need to trade for this guy and make him lester's personal catcher forming the Yips Battery
https://twitter.com/CSNNE/status/832666355715313664

Get this man some Fredericks of Hollywood catalogs and he'll be fine.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

Get this man some Fredericks of Hollywood catalogs and he'll be fine.

sad to me that it was the first thing i thought about as well

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Puig-en

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Sure, for one inning

:bahgawd:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I was a tee ball pitcher.

so is Jeremy Guthrie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Back in elementary school I was catching a softball game and a kid came up to bat and said "Watch this, I'm gonna nail it" and proceed to hit a huge line drive directly into our 65+ year old teacher's neck. She had to go to the hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbZrOPaZIs
Troy Tulowitzski is very cool. Baseball Dad

• Locked thread