Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

this seems to have been made in error

quote:

Maker Studios, a division of Disney, just severed their deal with YouTube megastar Pewdiepie. They pointed to a (now-deleted) January 11 video in which Pewdiepie paid two men to hold up a sign that read, “Death To All Jews.”

The Wall Street Journal reports that Pewdiepie had editorial independence in his deal, but this was a bridge too far.

“Although Felix has created a following by being provocative and irreverent, he clearly went too far in this case and the resulting videos are inappropriate,” said a spokeswoman for Maker Studios. Disney bought Maker in 2014 for $675 million. After Pewdiepie threatened to leave in 2016, Maker hung onto him by partnering with him so he could create his own entertainment network called Revelmode. The idea was to give Pewdiepie and his friends a platform to create videos, games, apps, and merchandise.
“Although Felix has created a following by being provocative and irreverent, he clearly went too far in this case and the resulting videos are inappropriate.”

YouTube, meanwhile, declined to comment on Pewdiepie’s recent videos. However, their policy toward this kind of thing is more lenient than Disney’s. “If content is intended to be provocative or satirical, it may remain online,” they said. “If the uploader’s intent is to incite violence or hatred it will be removed.”

According to WSJ, Pewdiepie has posted nine videos that include anti-Semitic content since August. Three, the one from January 11 and two others from January 17 and January 22, have been taken down. One of those depicted a man dressed as Jesus Christ saying, “Hitler did absolutely nothing wrong.”

In the “Death To All Jews” video, Pewdiepie, who hired the men via freelancer site Fiverr, reportedly said, “I didn’t think they would actually do it.” The Indian men later apologized in a video, saying, “we really don’t know what the message meant when making the video.” All three were banned from Fiverr. Pewdiepie, however, pleaded for the service to un-ban the two men.

Pewdiepie is a hugely prominent public figure no matter how you slice it, and his recent gaffes have prompted reactions from all corners of the Internet. People on YouTube came to his defense, believing he was simply telling un-PC “jokes.” However, he also received support from places like neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer, which reportedly changed its name to “The world’s #1 PewDiePie fansite” late last month.

In a recent Tumblr post, Pewdiepie addressed the controversy. Here’s what he wrote:

“I think it’s important to say something and I want to make one thing clear: I am in no way supporting any kind of hateful attitudes.”

“I make videos for my audience. I think of the content that I create as entertainment, and not a place for any serious political commentary. I know my audience understand that and that is why they come to my channel. Though this was not my intention, I understand that these jokes were ultimately offensive.”

“As laughable as it is to believe that I might actually endorse these people, to anyone unsure on my standpoint regarding hate-based groups: No, I don’t support these people in any way.”

Jonathan Vick, an associate director of the Anti-Defamation League who spoke to WSJ, however, summed up the real world consequences of Pewdiepie’s actions nicely. “Just putting it out there brings it more and more into the mainstream,” he said. It’s an especially poor choice on Pewdiepie’s part in a time when, remarkably, people are having very real discussions on how to deal with a resurgence in real-world nazism.

Now Pewdiepie will have to face some consequences of his own.

Oh man. :doh: I don't know what this means for us as internet humor aficionados, but Youtube and Google are getting mad at him too?

This is all really bad stuff, imo, and I wonder if it could have been avoided if Pewds hadn't spent so much time hanging with the effed up racists in Imp Zone and maybe spent more time chilling with the cool, laid back racists here in GBS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life
was he ever a goon? I hate him

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
he sounds like a real rear end in a top hat imo

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Goons hate him, but now that others are hating him will Goons now like him? :shrug:

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
I saw him on South Park and assumed he was a fan who won a contest or something.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
punch pewdie pie nazi in the face pls

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Kuato posted:

Goons hate him, but now that others are hating him will Goons now like him? :shrug:

that is how trash goons usually react yes

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
he can go to hell for all i care

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
what a hosed up time to be alive

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Something about constantly trying to channel irony.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

A misanthrope posted:

that is how trash goons usually react yes

only cause he sucks

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
He made a lot of money.

gumdrops
Sep 12, 2016
*in high pitched voice* I think we should defend pewds against the jewish puppeteers

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
So death to all jews is offensive but his screaming rape rape rape was totally ok? That says something about Hollyweird!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Something about constantly trying to channel irony.

why do people think 4-chan style ironic nazism (if it is ironic) is at all acceptable to the average person? do these people get so twisted up in their stupid internet in jokes that they forget 95% of people put nazis on the same level as child molesters in regards to how terrible they are?

holy penis worship
Feb 14, 2017

by Smythe
i am here from https://www.tribalwar.com/forums

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 14, 2017

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

A misanthrope posted:

why do people think 4-chan style ironic nazism (if it is ironic) is at all acceptable to the average person? do these people get so twisted up in their stupid internet in jokes that they forget 95% of people put nazis on the same level as child molesters in regards to how terrible they are?

some people don't think it's possible to be ironically racist, and some people are just plain dumb.

I hope PEWD gets hit with an IED

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Oh, sweet! Dare's here!

Now it's a party!

e: :dare::dare::dare::dare::dare::dare::dare::dare:

holy penis worship
Feb 14, 2017

by Smythe
gently caress u kill urself muktar

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

ra tehuti posted:

some people don't think it's possible to be ironically racist, and some people are just plain dumb.

I hope PEWD gets hit with an IED

it is true ironic racism doesnt really exist

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

holy penis worship posted:

gently caress u kill urself muktar

jesus christ i thought you posted my dick i was like 'did my photos get hacked'

I take comfort in the fact knowing you will be gone soon

and tragedy in the fact that you'll be back

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

A misanthrope posted:

Yeah, those National Lampoon guys were all 100% Nazis.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I wonder if any of this could be linked from his hundreds of videos of wearing out his vocal cords from either screaming at Slenderman or yelling "RAPE RAPE RAPE" while playing Happy Wheels.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

A misanthrope posted:

sarcastic racism is way worse imo

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
bash this fukken fash

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Ork of Fiction posted:

Yeah, those National Lampoon guys were all 100% Nazis.

probably

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i will throw all my time and energy into making this right for pewds again, whom i have grown very fond of, aslomspt like a son

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
aslomspt

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
In a way we are to blame, if we did not invent LPs we would not have given him the means.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I like how every news story I've seen this week about him has his name right next to the word Nazi

Talk about a career buzz saw

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

patent pending

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i don't like his videos

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

why does everyone on this forum post like a loving idiot? is it ironic?

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Farg posted:

i don't like him

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Turns out having a primary demographic of teenagers that'll probably parrot "Death to all Jews" in front of their parents means you can't suddenly pull this poo poo without backlash.

He tried to be Filthy Frank and didn't realise this lmao.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 14, 2017

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Ape Fist posted:

why does everyone on this forum post like a loving idiot? iI'lls it ironic?

no but this post is

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
If we did want to help how would we help? Thread title doesn't make any sense! I can't even help myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

"Ray, if someone asks you if Hitler did something wrong, you say, 'YES!'" - Bill "Peter Venkman" Murray

• Locked thread