Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I cant remember seeing anything like that round these parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I think I still have one here, but I live in a tiny town so it's more that the same guy owns the local parts store and a garage that are in the same building.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

angryrobots posted:

Do we even have a chain parts store/mechanic combo anymore? I would have thought pep boys (never having been in one), but clearly they buy parts from O'Reilly so lol not really

I want to say we used to have an Advance Auto with an attached lube/tire shop, but that closed years ago. Our NAPA has a machine shop in back, but I think that's just a local aberration.

Pep boys still sells parts, just the one near us keeps to basic consumables (oil, filters tires, wiper blades, etc) with the majority of their focus being on mechanical work. Mostly I just wanted to be a smartass, I'll stop now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh yeah also :siren: :siren: side note... :siren: :siren: Whomever completes the most challenges each month gets a free av of their choosing. Tie breakers will be brutal and awesome.

Excluding me obviously. I'm still gonna snipe your challenges though, csb.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 16, 2017

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

:siren: Post a picture of your car in front of a Napa (Or international equivalent). :siren:

Motherfucking tree. :argh:

:siren: Post a picture of your car in front of old military hardware on display (planes, tanks, guns...). :siren:

E: Can we offer up either/or challenges? I have some ideas that might be a bit of a long shot (I.e. next to 3+ cars with plates from different states/territories/countries/whatever the aussies call states) but don't want to stall the thread.

glyph fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 16, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

glyph posted:

Can we offer up either/or challenges? I have some ideas that might be a bit of a long shot (I.e. next to 3+ cars with plates from different states/territories/countries/whatever the aussies call states) but don't want to stall the thread.

Yeah go for it. Either/or is a good way to properly do esoteric poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I have the perfect spot for this next challenge on campus but I won't be able to do it til lunch. Ugh

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

glyph posted:

:siren: Post a picture of your car in front of old military hardware on display (planes, tanks, guns...). :siren:

E: Can we offer up either/or challenges? I have some ideas that might be a bit of a long shot (I.e. next to 3+ cars with plates from different states/territories/countries/whatever the aussies call states) but don't want to stall the thread.

gosh durn it, had a few beers or I'd have this one wrapped up. Extremely my kinda poo poo too, good challenge!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

glyph posted:

I think the convicts call them states but here in Canada we call them provinces.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Added a rule:

8. Attempt to think globally when you decide on a challenge. This is 2017 and you need some drat culture anyway. We have Canadians and Australians and those from the motherland playing. When in doubt toss in an "or your country's equivalent" or something.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

HandlingByJebus posted:

Done. That's half a block from my house, so I literally just drove there and took the photo.

Next challenge: :siren: Post a pic of your car on or beside a bridge. :siren:

Whoa hold the phone man, I call foul.

That's just a substation. Power station implies a generation plant to me :colbert:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Slung Blade posted:

Whoa hold the phone man, I call foul.

That's just a substation. Power station implies a generation plant to me :colbert:

Agreed, but I didn't want to rock the boat. I think we're too far along to reset the whole drat thing at this point.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I wasn't trying to force a restart or anything. Just pointing out that this is all a fix, RIGGED, RRRRRRRIIIIIGGGED!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

If I had said power plant I would've said something, but "power station" is ambiguous enough that substations totally work.

If you want it to be hard, be explicit!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

glyph posted:

I know just the spot but I'm worried about being questioned by a guard. drat.

"Why are you here taking photos sir?"

"Um...for an internet game"

"Please come with me sir."

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You don't have a nearby museum, rec centre, public park, cenotaph, etc., with a tank on display?

Jesus what the hell is wrong with America.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

You don't have a nearby museum, rec centre, public park, cenotaph, etc., with a tank on display?

Jesus what the hell is wrong with America.

They don't hand out tanks like they used to. When I was a kid they were everywhere, now not so much.

Edit: since I'm not going to do it, I was going to get a photo in front of this plane on a stick:

but it's an active ANG base, so I don't want to park in front and take a photo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

No easy to get to tanks in my area (the only one's I know of are inside of an ANG base). Plenty of airplanes on sticks though, but nothing close enough that I'm rushing out to take a picture for the challenge, since I'm sort of supposed to be working.

E: Someone in San Diego should just take a picture of their car on a dock in front of a giant grey wall and just say it's the USS Midway.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

There is a tank manufacturer by my brother's house and they have a bunch of tanks on the front grass, but it's surrounded by a massive fence and armed guards so i guess it's time for me to get arrested!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

glyph posted:

:siren: Post a picture of your vehicle inside of a wood-framed (be it timber, stick framed, or otherwise, but the majority of the structural support must be wooden) barn. :siren:

If you're an urbanite, guess what, go for a drive, that's the name of the game.

E: There's a bit of a story behind this tank. Apparently they removed the engine in the 1970s after a mishap involving a couple of local drunks taking it for a joyride. It was also covered in hippy graffiti until the 90s.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 16, 2017

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

:siren: Post a picture of your vehicle inside of a wood-framed (be it timber, stick framed, or otherwise, but the majority of the structural support must be wooden) barn. :siren:

If you're an urbanite, guess what, go for a drive, that's the name of the game.

E: There's a bit of a story behind this tank. Apparently they removed the engine in the 1970s after a mishap involving a couple of local drunks taking it for a joyride. It was also covered in hippy graffiti until the 90s.

Settle for a wooden bridge?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Are you seriously telling me you can't find a wood-framed barn? They're one of the most common structures on Earth.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some property owners are picky about who they let drive onto and take pictures of their property :confused:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got no shortage of barns I could park mine in on family-owned property... but they're all steel :saddowns: That and they're an hour's drive each direction.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Safety Dance posted:

Some property owners are picky about who they let drive onto and take pictures of their property :confused:

Well, I'd hope you'd ask permission. I can't see most farmers/ranchers/etc. saying no if you have manners and ask respectfully.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 16, 2017

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well, I'd hope you'd ask permission. I can't see most farmers/ranchers/etc. saying no if you have manners and ask respectfully.

"Hi Mr Farmer! I can see you're busy working 12 hour days taking care of your farm that's barely breaking even on a good year and losing money hand over fist on a bad year but can I - a complete stranger who you have never met - place my car inside your ancient barn already filled to the top with your equipment and/or silage and hay to take a photo for an internet comedy site?"

*yakety sax starts*

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
It's easy when you own the barn.

post a pic of your ride with a race track in the background

E: any track meant for racing is acceptable. Your local dirt track, road course, drag strip, horse track, rc track, running track, etc

rdb fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 16, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

beep-beep car is go posted:

"Hi Mr Farmer! I can see you're busy working 12 hour days taking care of your farm that's barely breaking even on a good year and losing money hand over fist on a bad year but can I - a complete stranger who you have never met - place my car inside your ancient barn already filled to the top with your equipment and/or silage and hay to take a photo for an internet comedy site?"

*yakety sax starts*

You don't work 12 hour days on a farm, ever. It's more like 16-20 hours, for a few weeks*, then a bunch of waiting, then maybe a week of 16-20 hour days again with random days (depending on how you do your tilling, and if you do any spraying or fertilizing) thrown in over the next couple months. This is followed by another couple weeks of 16-20 hour days... Of course, if you only own about 100 acres, cut those weeks down to days, or even no time at all because chances are you rent your fields out to someone else and have a regular job. Besides, it's Winter, right now nobody is tilling, planting, spraying, harvesting, haying, or really doing anything at all if they don't have livestock. You'd probably be the highlight of their Winter.

Many farms also have "on farm markets" through which they sell products to anyone who stops by, even cityfolk. There are also farms starting to do niche things like rent out plots to people who lack the space for a garden. These people would probably be the most likely to let you take a picture for the internet.

Point's moot tho, rdb has it in the bag.

E:*Assuming no livestock like cattle or more than a few chickens.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 16, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > The AI Driving Game - Wait, you mean I can talk to strangers?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
First I pick something I thought would be common, turns out I was wrong, I accept that and it's why I altered my challenge.

Then I pick something I know has to be easy, because they exist all over the world, even Antarctica has wood-framed storage buildings, and then goons whine about not having the social skills required to talk to a farmer.

Next time I'm just going to pull something out of my rear end and put zero thought into it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Besides, it's Winter, right now nobody is tilling, planting, spraying, harvesting, haying, or really doing anything at all if they don't have livestock. You'd probably be the highlight of their Winter.

Gonna have to go visit all the farms around here and tell them to stop growing poo poo because it's winter. I'm sure they'll be cool with that.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Because reductio ad absurdum is based in reality.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

rdb posted:

It's easy when you own the barn.

post a pic of your ride with a race track in the background

(It's an indoor go-kart track)

:siren:Post a pic of your car beside an exact twin (model and colour)of it:siren:

Different generations don't count.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 17, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MrChips posted:

:siren:Post a pic of your car beside an exact twin (model and colour)of it:siren:

Oh poo poo I totally almost posed this exact challenge last time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MrChips posted:

I know a twin of my 'stang 2 streets down. Wonder if he's home...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Goddammit my Celica's twin is in storage in another state :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

hahahaha holy poo poo if this isn't solved by the time I get home...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Oh man, there's another 2007 Nissan Versa in the same colour as mine but with an auto at the dealership I just bought mine at.

E: My neighbour has a Sentra sedan, same era and colour, and iirc both vehicles are based on the same generation Renault Megane. Would that count? I could take the picture from my porch.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 16, 2017

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MrChips posted:

Well, gently caress you then :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MrChips can you own both your car and the twin?

• Locked thread