Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Bajaha posted:

:siren:Post a picture of your car in front of a French restaurant / cuisine.:siren:

French? Check.

Restaurant? Check.

To any pedants, French is one of Canada's official languages, and Tim Hortons has a bilingual menu.

IM TRYING NOT TO PROBATE FOR 'CORRECT' SUBMISSIONS BUT GOD drat THIS WAS BAD

Post a picture of your car parked beside a police car at a doughnut shop (or international stereotypical fatcop food equiv or beside a cop car if for some reason you do not have fatcop food).

E: At the very least, the coffee was free (rollup!) and maybe it's time to get some rap sheet cred after over a decade of bad posting.

EE: Rollup is a special time of year celebrated in both English and French-speaking communities here. Basically you buy coffee for the chance to buy more coffee.

:siren:Post a picture of your car in front of a French restaurant / cuisine.:siren:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm going to say that tim's doesn't count as a french restaurant.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

rdb posted:

Has to be a vehicle, motorcycle on trailer would be ok, pedal bike on a truck not so much.
Damnit. Well I'm still posting it for pure "You have a trailer hitch on *that*?" effect.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

jamal posted:

I'm going to say that tim's doesn't count as a french restaurant.

You'd think living in Canada you wouldn't have much trouble finding an actual French restaurant. Shameful

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

fridge corn posted:

You'd think living in Canada you wouldn't have much trouble finding an actual French restaurant. Shameful

We just call them restaurants here.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

E: fffffuuuuuuu had awful left open. Ignore.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

quote:

:siren:Post a picture of your car at a car manufacturer's factory or head office (but not one you work for):siren:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
But they serve poutine... :saddowns:

Sorry for disappointing. In this little part of Canada not as close to the border as most, the options were "fast food joint that also serves a handful of vaguely 'French' foods like poutine," or "drive to different city an hour away." I knew I was playing fast and loose with the definition but I thought I would've gotten a laugh or two out of that.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 18, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I laughed, then laughed harder at your shaming.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Mission accomplished then.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

InitialDave posted:

:siren:Post a picture of your car at a car manufacturer's factory or head office (but not one you work for):siren:

Damnit, I have a photo of my Soarer pretending to be an Aston Martin at their place from a maybe-acceptable-time-ago, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Aww man, there's nothing close to me other than bus manufacturers.

Those count, right?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bajaha posted:

Those count, right?
I'd say any road vehicle is probably allowed, seeing as that's the rule we're running for what you can have as yours in the photo?

I also suspect Adiabatic will enforce the rules on a basis of "smartarse or rules-lawyering answers may get a pass if they are particularly awesome or very funny indeed."

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Bajaha posted:

Those count, right?

Give it a shot, what have you got to loose, other than your freedom?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

InitialDave posted:

I'd say any road vehicle is probably allowed, seeing as that's the rule we're running for what you can have as yours in the photo?

I also suspect Adiabatic will enforce the rules on a basis of "smartarse or rules-lawyering answers may get a pass if they are particularly awesome or very funny indeed."

You know me so well.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

InitialDave posted:

They've got a security booth so as close as I can get without actually working there.

:siren:Post a picture of your car with it's exact opposite:siren:

(i.e. Motorcycle beside a hummer, prius beside a racecar, you get the idea)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bajaha posted:

They've got a security booth so as close as I can get without actually working there.

:siren:Post a picture of your car with it's exact opposite:siren:

(i.e. Motorcycle beside a hummer, prius beside a racecar, you get the idea)

Oversized, impractical, gas guzzler next to tiny, practical, and economical.

:siren:Post your vehicle as close to a wind mill as you can get!:siren:

Let's put the "driving" back in "Driving Game"

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 18, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Aw man :saddowns:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Safety Dance posted:

:siren:Post your vehicle as close to a wind mill as you can get!:siren:

Let's put the "driving" back in "Driving Game"

Ok, doesn't exactly mill flour but they are colloquially referred to as windmills. And it was a drive.

:siren:Post your vehicle beside a natural formation of some sort that is taller than your vehicle:siren:

I.e. Big rock wall, high snow, NO TREES.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Does the snow count if it's been piled by unnatural means?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Imo, natural formation implies that the pile of snow was not made with a shovel, blower, or plow.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Bajaha posted:

Ok, doesn't exactly mill flour but they are colloquially referred to as windmills. And it was a drive.

That is clearly a wind turbine not a windmill :colbert:

I'm just bitter because I had a morning drive planned to an actual windmill and there are poo poo loads of wind turbines here such that i don't even notice them anymore because I see them every day

well done bajaha ;)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Small so nobody thinks this is my attempt at the challenge because I'd say a wind turbine is a form of windmill because the point is the convert wind energy into another form of energy more useful for work. At the same time, I detest them.

I used to live at this farm and drove all the way down there after work to take a picture of my car next to the windmill you can make out behind the house.

Unfortunately by the time I got there it was pitch-dark and basically the picture I took with a flash showed only my car reflecting all the light. Without a flash, no car, and the windmill was backlit by a very dark part of the night sky instead of say, the milkyway. I tried it with a flashlight too, no dice. :(

E: At least all this driving is helping me remember how to stick.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 19, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

A wind turbine is definitely a kind of windmill. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

An electron mill, powered by wind! :science:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Bajaha posted:

:siren:Post your vehicle beside a natural formation of some sort that is taller than your vehicle:siren:

I wished I lived near some buttes 🍑

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Imo, natural formation implies that the pile of snow was not made with a shovel, blower, or plow.

Correct, with the one caveat being roads that have been carved into deep snow are ok, as the accumulation was natural but the removal for the road was done by machine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got some perfect ones off-road but with the rain the past few days, it would probably be unwise to go into a canyon.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Bajaha posted:

Its a great day in RVA so I took a drive to Libby Hill:

It's a pretty great view of Richmond up top:

As well as the "View that Named the City":

Poe lived a couple blocks towards town, and the "Give me liberty or give me death" speech occurred a couple blocks in the same direction.

There's also a neat statue dedicated to the fallen confederate soldiers and sailors:

In this cool historical vein,

:siren: Post your car next to (in your opinion) the most important historical site in your town. Explain why. :siren:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I took this photo 5 minutes before you posted that Adiabatic, so I'm posting it anyway. Not to contest the winner, but because I drove 1/2 an hour out of my way to get it and I think it fits the spirit of the request better than yours.

Gloucester area bedrock. Most of the granite buildings in Boston are made from this.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 19, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I took this photo 5 minutes before you posted that Adiabatic, so I'm posting it anyway. Not to contest the winner, but because I drove 1/2 an hour out of my way to get it and I think it fits the spirit of the request better than yours.

A+ post / username combo. :golfclap:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

:siren: Post your car next to (in your opinion) the most important historical site in your town. Explain why. :siren:

This is an excellent post and an excellent challenge. I look forward to seeing the responses.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

brb driving to disney world because what else historical exists in fuckin' orlando?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

brb driving to disney world because what else historical exists in fuckin' orlando?
One of the few areas of Florida where "the residents" isn't a valid answer.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Enourmo posted:

Medieval Times is a window into history :colbert: I will also accept The Holy Land Experience

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Enourmo posted:

Ybor city? Love that place, spent a very nice week there smoking cigars and eating great food.

Adiabatic posted:

Nice challenge :hfive:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ybor is in tampa. And is pretty awesome.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Gloucester area bedrock. Most of the granite buildings in Boston are made from this.

I was just up there doing some work in the harbor.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_Bridge_disaster

The site of the Tay Bridge Disaster, an important point in the history of Dundee, and in rail travel and engineering in general. After the disaster, changed were made to the design of bridges within the UK, to better cope with the effects of high winds on bridges. The bridge collapse was the worst major disaster in Dundee's history, with significant loss of life, and while there are other significant historical landmarks in Dundee, such as the ships the Discovery and the Unicorn, and its many mills the site of the old Tay Rail bridge and its replacement are the most significant in its history - the ships while historic landmarks are the history of seafearing, not of dundee itself, and while the mills in general play an important part of Dundee history not one in particular has more significance than the Tay Rail Bridge. Also I couldn't get parked close enough to the Discovery :argh:

:siren: Post your car facing the factory where it was built, as if facing Mecca in prayer :siren: You should note the compass bearing for used as evidence.

Edit: improved my justification & a clarification.

stump fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Someone needs to get a parking spot sized persian carpet style carpet at goodwill and park the car on that, when completing this one.

Edit: That bridge Wikipedia page is actually super interesting.

bolind fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 20, 2017

• Locked thread