Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

HandlingByJebus posted:

Done. That's half a block from my house, so I literally just drove there and took the photo.

Next challenge: :siren: Post a pic of your car on or beside a bridge. :siren:

Whoa hold the phone man, I call foul.

That's just a substation. Power station implies a generation plant to me :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I wasn't trying to force a restart or anything. Just pointing out that this is all a fix, RIGGED, RRRRRRRIIIIIGGGED!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

fridge corn posted:

You'd think living in Canada you wouldn't have much trouble finding an actual French restaurant. Shameful

We just call them restaurants here.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Can you do it from the driver's seat, or does your car have to also be in frame?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So, let's say I were to take a picture of my Toyota next to a beige wall....

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I really like that you made sure to protect the paint on your pristine hail-dented hood from that propeller with a towel. :v:

Don't worry, I'd do the same, we're all a bunch of weirdos.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Since when has there been a steam engine in Jasper?

Good job man.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bajaha posted:

:ducksiren: Get a picture of your car far above you, you must be at least 5 ft below your car, looking up at it. :ducksiren:

Here, have a picture of the drippy underside of a 51 year old dodge.

:havlat: Post a picture of the biggest fluid leak stain in your garage / driveway / whatever. :havlat:

E: with the perpetrator in view, like car shaming.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 28, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah I thought he meant a train and I was imagining some modern goon western

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anyone near bowling Green?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

joat mon posted:

:siren: Take a picture of your vehicle helping you do a good turn for somebody. Failing that, take a picture of your vehicle with something cute, beautiful, uplifting or funny. :siren:

Alright, so this requires some backstory.

Several years ago, my grandparents gave me their old truck, a 1990 ford f-150. As these things tend to go, I grew up around this truck during family camping vacations and just hanging out with grandpa and grandma when I was a kid / teen. As of five years ago, grandpa couldn't really reliably drive and they don't camp anymore, so they didn't have much use for the poor old thing. I couldn't bear to see them get rid of it, it was too nice (mostly) and I'm clearly too sentimental about cars, so I asked if I could have it. They seemed happy that I wanted it and were glad to help me out at the time, as I wasn't nearly as financially secure then as I am now.

That said, it wasn't perfect. This was a few years ago, the paint on the hood was classic 90s ford single stage and was peeling, cracking, flaking off, and causing the sheet metal to rust. I don't have many pictures of the hood before, I really should have grabbed some.

I kept meaning to fix it, or get it fixed, but I have so many other projects on the go it was always at the bottom of the pile. Partially because it's never really needed anything more than basic maintenance and just keeps going. Last year I spot some rust on the cab corner, and I figure I have to make a decision, do I let it rot slowly (as I keep it in the garage and never winter drive it) or do I get it fixed proper-like? Gramps isn't getting younger, and I'd like them to see the truck back the way it was when they bought it new nearly 30 years ago.

About a month ago I take it in for an estimate to a couple body/paint places and they're really looking for work, they give me a pretty decent deal, so I figure why not get it done now?

The rust is now gone, and the hood is back to the original paint colour, it's pretty well blended with the rest.

The front fascia was really covered in rock chips, they spot-painted all of them (sorry it's got a little road dirt on it here) so it's not perfect but it's way better than it was before.

This is the corner that was rusting out, they cut out the old and fabricated some new sheet metal and blended the paint quite well.

Stylin'

It's got a few dents here, and few dings there, but a power polish and some paint go a long way to cleaning up a nice old truck like this.

They even detailed the interior as part of the deal (note the hand crocheted seat blanket my grandma made for me).

I had dinner with my grandparents tonight, they seemed delighted to see it fixed up to nearly original condition :unsmith:

I couldn't let this truck fade away, it's got too much personality and way too many of my memories attached to it. It doesn't even have 160 thousand kilometers on the clock yet.

What say you, does this fit your criteria?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

joat mon posted:

Absolutely!

Very well, thank you for letting me share my truck's story.

:havlat:post a picture of the best burnout patch in your locality, that you didn't create yourself:havlat:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

sharkytm posted:

I'm not crying, you're crying!

I had to risk life and limb for this, drat Cape Cod Tourists!

https://i.imgur.com/RkYmXnw.gifv

Someone did several rotations in the middle of Rt 28. Does that count?

Plenty good enough for me.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Or it was three am.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

poo poo, that's going to be a hard one.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Enourmo posted:

Goon call as to whether this counts as 2 separate lights, since iirc the abs automatically turns the brake light on as well.

E: assuming it counts, take a picture of your car next to its senior at least 20 years older. This can be the same model (05 civic next to an 85) or the closest equivalent in the same segment if the exact model doesn't exist (ie an 09 Focus next to a Pinto), but it must be from the same brand. Alternately, if you drive a car 97 or older, take one with its modern equivalent, again with a >20 model year gap. The older the old car is, the better.

I took this yesterday so I guess it doesn't really count. :( still a cool coincidence.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

God drat my ears hurt just looking at those images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

NitroSpazzz posted:

Paging Slungblade to the thread with his electric tractor that usually wins the slowest tractor award

Yeah could do. Might have to if no one else grands this challenge.

• Locked thread