Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit again: I've promised my partner I won't, because he's got it sewn up this afternoon, and nobody else should bother trying either, because he's got a location/ghost story everybody has heard of. Disney made a movie based on the story in question.
Thanks babe, hope I can live up to the hype

My dad's Kia in front of the Ichabod Crane Schoolhouse and the Van Alen House.

I gotta start this off by saying that Tarrytown bastards can eat my rear end

Washington Irving was buddies with folks here in the town of Kinderhook, New York, and he stayed here before he went to England and wrote The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. He based many of the characters on local people -- Ichabod himself was based on his good buddy, local schoolteacher Jesse Merwin, Katrina van Tassel was a daughter of the Van Alen family who lived in that little brick house in the background of the above photo, and supposedly Brom Bones was a Van Alstyne -- that family still lives in the area, so I couldn't take a picture of their house or that would be creepy. The story of the Hessian ghost who inspired Brom Bones' prank is also a Kinderhook legend, associated with a particular old cemetery that has a section of Hessian graves, but I forgot how to get to that cemetery and gave up after I found myself going in circles. Additionally, this site in the pictures is itself supposed to be haunted by some sort of phantom who whistles at people when no-one else is around; I didn't get whistled at while I was taking this picture, though. (I have heard a "phantom whistler" while hanging out doing night fishing with a friend of mine who lives on the creek, just through the woods behind this house, but for all I know there might be some kind of local wildlife that makes a noise like a human whistling; I'm not ready to assign it to a ghostly schoolteacher!)

When you're basing a ton of characters on real people who live in a real small town, it's just rude to outright state the specific location where they live and thus expose them in all their not-very-flatteringly-depicted glory to all of your readers; Irving namedropped Tarrytown in the introduction to the story, and Tarrytown ran with it, but they're a bunch of lying liars and it's our story not theirs gently caress Tarrytown

e: if this gets accepted for the prompt, mine is: a live bird on a car, or a large number of live birds near a car

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I like seagulls, but I think grackles are cheating because every Walmart parking lot in North America contains 10,000 of them and they're not even cute

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

What a good bird!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I still don't have my own car yet but I took my mom's minivan to the local ice cream parlor for you yesterday. It was unusually cold so I ended up being the only one in the parking lot, but it was still hard to get a good photo because of the layout of the place. Hope this works?

If it's cool, my challenge will be: :siren: your ride and a LARGE statue -- a piece of public art, not like, a garden gnome. Double points if the statue is pointing at your vehicle

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Human-sized or larger -- just, like, not a dinky lawn trinket, that's all!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

You could try it anyway! I don't require the statue of liberty here, that's just Delivery McGee's bonus challenge

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Excellent entry and a couple neat stories here, very nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

quote:

Ephphatha really deserves the win for that pic. It might not be world renowned but it's important.
Agreed!

• Locked thread