Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

PenisMonkey posted:

:siren:Post a picture of your vehicle next to a naturally fallen tree. As in, not cut down.:siren:

Close enought to the tree? There's a pipleline-warning sign keeping me from getting closer.

Timg'd because I'm on mobile and not sure how big it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
:siren: Post a picture of your car next to a statue/sculpture of an animal :siren:

Inspired by the fiberglass gator out front of the Cajun restaurant I ate at this week, and bronze cattle at the truckstop I stopped at once back in Texas on the way home.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
There's cows in NH? I thought us Texans had a monopoly on cattle.

Also dammit we left the inflatable pool at the previous house, so I can't do the thing..

Double points if it's a Ford fording a river.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
On the other hand, low enough gears would be hilarious. Wanna see some rock crawler idling along at a speed rivaled only by glaciers.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Seriously? Nobody's ghostrode a tractor/drag car/military truck yet? Is it time to throw out an alternate challenge? (if so, do I have dibs on the alt challenge for calling it out?)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

beep-beep car is go posted:

Please clarify "where your car was made"

Brand country of origin?

Final assembly?

Average of distance of the different parts? (i.e. engine in Japan, body in UK, final assembly in USA?)

I'm pretty sure the definitions are flexible, he told me in the PM apologizing for missing that I called dibs that it's "deliberately easy". Personally, I'd go with final assembly, because that's when a car is made, until then it's just parts, innit?

Edit: Dammit, I can't find my plush moose from Canada and it's raining out, otherwise I'd have this one in the bag (assuming Japan counts as far enough away, I have several Nikon cameras/lenses). OFC the moose souvenir was probably made in China.

Edit again for rules-lawyering even though I said I don't think it matters: Does another car from the same plant count as the "close" item, or does it have to be smaller than a breadbox? :v:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 22, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

InitialDave posted:

So if you have a Wrangler, the Ohio state flag and a stuffed toy koala wearing a Perth t-shirt is a good combination.

Heh, the first thing I thought of was Crown Vic (or a Holden) with a Tim Horton's cup and stuffed koala.

Edit: I have some Aussie friends but they're never sent me anything because the shipping costs are too much, are Toronto and whatever part of China USB batteries are from close/far enough from Ford's Ontario plant?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 22, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I concede, Jo3sh got closer. Post your challenge.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
So, for the bonus, do we have to buy the thing for the challenge, or does my existing Kerouac joke sticker on my former cop car count? :v: (Probably not, but it's worth a try.)

Old photo, not an entry:

OTOH, do they still sell those "Calvin pissing on [logo]" stickers at Autozone, or did they finally get shut down? 'Cause I'll totally slap the proper version (i.e., the one pissing on the car's own logo) on the car on the way to go visit my family tomorrow. There's also the extremely unlikely but clearly best option of finding my cassette copy of "Straight Outta Compton" and Mod-Podging the cover art onto the bumper under the "Police Interceptor" badge. :v:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Doesn't "Bimmer" properly only apply to motorcycles, though? Or is it the other way around? :can:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The Reichsadler with the VW logo in place of the swastika is ... a thing that was at some point popular with the VW-modding crowd (back when rusty hoods were in style).

Put that on a car made by a factory or at least company (pretty sure Ford built both) that made B-17s/B-24s, and I think we've got a winner.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

If it counts:
:siren: post a pic of your car next to some spooky/haunted local history... Haunted mansion? Suicide bridge? Local slaughtering ground? Be sure to post up a bit of good backstory, self-written or wiki cuz I like history!:siren:

Does it count if the story behind it is complete BS*? I might be able to go by here tomorrow on the way home from work tomorrow, if nobody steps up before then.

It wasn't firebombed by the KKK, it burned down when being rented out as a warehouse by a local petrochemical company long after it had closed because the schools had been integrated and the pupils were all transferred to the local school district.

There is a lil' yappy dog across the street that'll startle the bejesus out of you if you back up to his side of the street to get a wide shot of the ruins, though.

*Of course, all hauntings are BS if you don't believe in ghosts, but this one the supposed ghost-generating event didn't actually happen, it's just local legend.

Edit again: I've promised my partner I won't, because he's got it sewn up this afternoon, and nobody else should bother trying either, because he's got a location/ghost story everybody has heard of. Disney made a movie based on the story in question.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 13, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
To be fair, we do have a few college students here who could probably round up enough acquaintances, but otoh, lol Goons don't have any friends amirite?

Shall we go for revolution, then?:siren: Let's see your car with a historical marker in frame. Those are a thing in most of the US, but any metal plaque/stone carving/building commemorating a historical event on that site is acceptable.:siren: See the last photo of InediblePenguin's post for an example, and obviously he's not allowed to use that one again.

Edit: Bonus points if it commemorates an actual overthrowing of the previously-legitimate government. InediblePenguin could probably get that one too, being in upstate New York, but it just got dark there, so you've got 12 hours or so. Anybody in St. Petersburg (the Russian one)? :v:

And commemorative structures are allowed, it doesn't have to be a plaque -- I'll count the Arc de Triomphe, San Jacinto tower, Alamo, etc. for the bonus, and HMS Victory or any statue of a historical military person on/near a historic battlefield for the main challenge. But a lot of us live away from that sort of thing, which is why I went with the local-history signs initially.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 22, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ilkhan posted:

Its this one. That ought to do.
Since my hometown was founded by the railroad before they struck oil, you get a bonus point.

quote:

:siren: Let's see some pretty views. Lakes, rivers, ocean, cliffs, valleys... something natural to take my breath away :siren:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
You still didn't say what that adorable tiny ridiculous car is. Are they available in the US? I want one too.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Don't make me go out and find a pastoral scene, I'll do it if I have to.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Eat This Glob posted:

:siren:Challenge: It's also summer here and head indices were around 105 f/40c the last few days. Take a photo of your ride at an ice cream stand/shop. Treat yourself to something if you're so inclined! OR if you're in the southern hemisphere/some place where it's winter or cold, show me something chilly!:siren:

Do snocone stands and/or Braum's/Dairy Queen (fast-food joints known for their ice cream) count? If so, I'll mercy-kill this one around noon tomorrow, if nobody beats me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ilmucche posted:

How large is large? Like bigger than my car? Or someone can do something cool like take picture next to the angel of the north.

If there's an AI Goon in Rio and they complete this challenge with the obvious statue anywhere in frame (shouldn't be too difficult), I will buy them the forums upgrade of their choice, or donate :10bux: to charity in their name.

• Locked thread