Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Nice. Every car needs more "big loving turbo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Raluek posted:

It's ridiculous. Long live the pushrod.

Holy crap. The pushrod Chevy looks like a toy compared to whatever it's next to.

I guess I never realized just how much bigger OHC made an engine.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Are there really s2000 purists? I own one and love it to death, but holy gently caress if i had the resources to do something even half as crazy as this id do it in a second :D

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Holy crap. The pushrod Chevy looks like a toy compared to whatever it's next to.

I guess I never realized just how much bigger OHC made an engine.

That's an LS3 next to a Coyote. Both equally dressed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

That's an LS3 next to a Coyote. Both equally dressed.

And in the OP's case, the LS3 has an entire F20 worth of displacement on top of the Coyote.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I note that, in fairness, "package size" isn't much of a priority for most OEMs as long as it fits. I suspect GM bothered because they had the idea they could fit it into more places if they did so and they have the attitude of living with an architecture for a long time, so yeah, an OEM that bothered with shrinking engine package size successfully did so. You can do a bunch of things to shrink DOHC engine package size too but I can't think of many OEMs that bother.

Blah blah blah, I'm going to stop making GBS threads up the thread about a badass project now.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
It's not the best thread in AI because it didn't happen in Valentine. But boy do I have a line on a guy who could tune that bi-turbo for you. Cheap I bet.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think we all know chevy goes with one cam small package because it is run by accountants. 25 cents per engine extra profit gets them a bonus weekly. It just happens that one cam is the best cam.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

hedgegnome posted:

Are there really s2000 purists? I own one and love it to death, but holy gently caress if i had the resources to do something even half as crazy as this id do it in a second :D

Haters gonna hate when my car was on reddit

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
He's really pushing the whole "truck motor" thing.

Is there more of this guy's tears?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Hmm, Accord motor swapped for truck motor. Fair trade. :D

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

tehk posted:

"adheres to the original intentions of the engineers" this fuckwad obviously never owned anything Italian or British. Keep fightin' the goodfight, your car rules. gently caress them.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

cursedshitbox posted:

"adheres to the original intentions of the engineers" this fuckwad obviously never owned anything Italian or British. Keep fightin' the goodfight, your car rules. gently caress them.

The original intentions of the engineers hosed the rear suspension geometry up too, is fixing that verboten? Answer: who gives a poo poo. :D

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Driveline purity is a personal choice, and never anything more than that. If that isn't what you're going for, then by all means, build a monster and shove it into a tiny chassis because it is going to make all of AI giggle like a bunch of maniacs.

I'm keeping slug-motor Toyota-only drivelines in my two Toyota trucks, but will still say that SBC-swapped Pickups/4Runners and 40-series land cruisers can be oodles of fun when you slam the skinny pedal.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

While I do love an F20c because it revs so well and makes racecar noises with some breather mods and a decent exhaust, a big 'ol V8 with 2 turbos on it is pretty loving rad too... Also you posted on reddit, idiocy is to be expected.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

tehk posted:

Ha, worth it just for that.

Have been involved with building a high powered track S2k and everything broke all the time. Blown up motors, broken transmissions, diffs, etc. Making it though one weekend intact was rare. AFI ended up just putting a nascar 4-speed and ford rear end in their car.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 16, 2017

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

tehk posted:

Can you just superimpose the dyno curves from the new engine on the chart from the original engine and reply to him with that, please? I want to see his head explode.

Hell the new setup probably makes more at ~1500 than the old one did anywhere, if I had to pull a number out of my rear end.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

kastein posted:

Can you just superimpose the dyno curves from the new engine on the chart from the original engine and reply to him with that, please? I want to see his head explode.

Hell the new setup probably makes more at ~1500 than the old one did anywhere, if I had to pull a number out of my rear end.

Not enough power band? Doesn't an s2000 have a teeny tiny powerband to begin with? I don't get why this annoys people but it sure is funny. Cool car.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

NA that car probably put down more torque at the bottom end than the f20c did peak. And an s2000 perfectly fits in the small light car + big ol v8 = fast drag car formula. :colbert:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

kastein posted:

No no, see, now it makes *too much* power; the optimum amount of power is exactly as Honda delivered it, trying for more upsets the blah blah blah blah blah

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The truck motor thing is what gets me.

High-end vs low-end power is mostly cam grind and F/A ratios isn't it? Why would it matter where the motor came from?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fermented Tinal posted:

*as seen in a Montecarlo SS* Goddammit morons.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
CSB I get that this particular block didn't come out of a truck, I'm just questioning why it would matter at all.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

hedgegnome posted:

Are there really s2000 purists?

9000 rpm bro it revs to 9000 rpm the engine revs to 9000 four wheeled motorcycle bro 9000 9000 9000.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fermented Tinal posted:

CSB I get that this particular block didn't come out of a truck, I'm just questioning why it would matter at all.

haha i know, I'm talkin about joedildo on reddit.

Essentially:

Previa_fun posted:

9000 rpm bro it revs to 9000 rpm the engine revs to 9000 four wheeled motorcycle bro 9000 9000 9000.

buy another and put a 350 olds diesel in it. think a 'truckmotor' offends.......

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

A lot of the truck engines are iron block and therefore much heavier.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Fermented Tinal posted:

High-end vs low-end power is mostly cam grind and F/A ratios isn't it? Why would it matter where the motor came from?

It's not like h LS has won any endurance racing like Dayton or LeMans.. Oh wait it has. Also people put LSs in Superlite SLCs and Ultimas not bmw or Honda engines. It's the one option that gives you supercar performance, oem reliability, and realistic price tags

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

jamal posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the advantage of the iron block (besides cost) is that it takes boost better?

I'm not as familiar with the LS, but BMW's non turbo N52 was an aluminum magnesium alloy, but the turbo N54/N55 were iron blocks.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The "no powerband" guy has to be joking. An old man with an S2000 at my local autocross was always bitching that to get decent times he was either slamming off the redline in first the whole time, or shifting into second and bogging down. Also he blew his transmission, car was completely stock.

V8 + small car is always the best idea, especially with turbos :shittypop:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In theory, yes, but the aluminum blocks aren't exactly weak, and (as the OP shows) can be built to handle a stupid amount of boost all the same.

I like to imagine that somewhere in England in the '60s, there was someone frothing at the mouth about how DARE that Texan defile the AC Ace by putting some goddamn V8 in it!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

In theory, yes, but the aluminum blocks aren't exactly weak, and (as the OP shows) can be built to handle a stupid amount of boost all the same.

I like to imagine that somewhere in England in the '60s, there was someone frothing at the mouth about how DARE that Texan defile the AC Ace by putting some goddamn V8 in it!

Except in that case, the V8 was lighter too.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
I love the Internet know it All's and their Autistic screeching.

Did they resort to insulting you personally and throwing dookie when you did not bow to their book wisdom and 3 years of Mech engineering classes?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

tehk posted:

It's not like h LS has won any endurance racing like Dayton or LeMans.. Oh wait it has. Also people put LSs in Superlite SLCs and Ultimas not bmw or Honda engines. It's the one option that gives you supercar performance, oem reliability, and realistic price tags

When one of my motors goes to LeMans people run it stock in junkyard condition and then wonder why it blows. :v:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Kaptainballistik posted:

I love the Internet know it All's and their Autistic screeching.

Did they resort to insulting you personally and throwing dookie when you did not bow to their book wisdom and 3 years of Mech engineering classes?

I don't know what it is about racing and high performance mods that brings these armchair engineers out of the wood works but it's always hilarious watching them melt down over crap like this.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Isn't every Japanese motor just a rip off of an American truck motor? It all goes back to the stovebolt.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'll have you know the 22R is a tractor motor by ORIGINAL AND GLORIOUS NIPPON design. :colbert:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jamal posted:

I've read that it's only about a 60lb difference. Enough to matter for a balanced track car, but it's not like an old big block with iron block, heads, intake, and so on

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Oddly enough most people don't know that a turbo less 2jz weighs the same as a iron block LSX

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

As a British engineer, "gently caress them" probably was the original intention in many cases.

Previa_fun posted:

Oooh, a whole 9000rpm? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I want to build an LS that revs to 9k. Short stroke, long rods, light parts should do it?

• Locked thread