Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Terrible Robot posted:

Looks more like a Puma to me :colbert:

niiice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So many posts, I thought I'd missed a lot of updates in this thread.

Nope, OP just did an awesome thing. N'th-ing the "absolutely perfect" hood thoughts.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Post what the view looks like when sitting in car please.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Looks more like a Puma to me :colbert:

this car is totally a Chupa-thingy

Thank you for reminding me how far Rooster Teeth has fallen.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Cage posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Cage posted:

Preferably in video format.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

Banned for homegrown, reason: giant throbbing erection in video

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Banned for homegrown, reason: giant throbbing erection in video

Reported for backseat modding. :wink:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Is OP still alive or did he die shiny and chrome on the fury road, blasted by the autistic rage of a thousand s2k fans?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

kastein posted:

Is OP still alive or did he die shiny and chrome on the fury road, blasted by the autistic rage of a thousand s2k fans?

Died when it spooled, the victim of adding torque to a Honda.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I am still alive due to extreme self control. Engine is going strong, but she is coming apart over the winter for a 1-5/8" 0.083" wall 4130 chromoly chassis. It is required to be entirely tig welded which adds to labor a bit. Unfortunately its gonna suck having door bars and kidney bars in the way on a street car, but I am sick of having a car that can drive to tracks and break out of safety by seconds on a non-effort pass.

So goals for this winter are:
  • At minimum 8.50 with swingouts 10 point chromoly chassis(my track is lenient and this will net me car ready to break into 7s.)
  • 9 inch rear end and ladder bars, wheel tubs
  • Buy TH400 and hate the autolife forever but be faster

Looking hard for shops to do the chassis. Even though I can tig I cant justify doing a cage I havent done before where I might have to cut off bars and redo if it doesn't pass certification. If a bar is a inch too low you might even have to redo the cage since grinding off a bar in a heat affected area leaves a area with no bar hardened and that turns into a potential fail point. Wish I had more friends familiar with the rulebook because I wish I could keep the car entirely built by me and some japanese guys 17 years ago. Plus saving $4000 I don't have would be nice.

edit: It will forever be a street car, but now going to Walmart in it is gonna be harder if someone parks too close

tehk fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 5, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So until you get the scratch saved up, it's a street car, right? :q:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

If you're comfortable with the fab but not the rule book find out who does tech inspection near you or in your region. There's a good chance you can get someone from the NHRA (I assume) side to come look at it while it's tack welded together.

Ymmv my experience comes from the NASA/SCCA side.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

honda whisperer posted:

If you're comfortable with the fab but not the rule book find out who does tech inspection near you or in your region. There's a good chance you can get someone from the NHRA (I assume) side to come look at it while it's tack welded together.

Ymmv my experience comes from the NASA/SCCA side.

Yeah probably not gonna happen on the NHRA side. Outside of making friends, which I am trying to do, my experience has been there are so many small drag shops across the country that they try heavily to push you towards them. Getting a chassis cert guy to look at the car before I weld it solid would be great though if I can somehow figure it out.

Unfortunately unlike the SCCA/NASA side the ratio of inspectors/certifiers to participants is massive. I once went to a certification day at the track and we were 80 cars deep waiting to get certified.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Tehk, I'm sorry I haven't stopped by, I've been incredibly busy with TRACKDAYS and working a 2nd job to pay for them. I have my last event next weekend and then I'm FREE!

I've made a bunch of friends at the track and lots are local and do build custom cages. Would you like me to pass along some names of folks who would be willing to look at your setup while it's tacked together? Also I wanna stop by anyway just bc you're 10 minutes away and I enjoy seeing things people hate online.

Not sure how the NHRA/drag shop guys are but the roadrace shop owners are incredibly friendly.

Edit: You just touched on the NASA/SCCA side of things. Ugh. Back to square one. Still happy to ask around if you like.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 6, 2017

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Blaise posted:

Tehk, I'm sorry I haven't stopped by, I've been incredibly busy with TRACKDAYS and working a 2nd job to pay for them. I have my last event next weekend and then I'm FREE!

Sweet you can laugh at me as I try to make a IRS car have a solid axle! Yeah ask around for sure dude! Right now people are saying January wait time but that makes Decemeber a dead time for me since I wont be able to complete the four link/ladderbar rear end in time and I cant sell my IRS rear end until the car no longer has to be moved from shop to shop.

People have been asking for photos from the drivers seat to see how the large hood ornament gets in the way. Well here it is.

I ran out of gas about 10 minutes further into that video. 5mpg at idle. Luckily expecting it I carried a dump tank to make it home.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It really doesn't obstruct as much as you'd think. Reminds me of having a WRX with a hoodscoop: you filter it out after a week.

Why is your idle mileage so bad? Huge injectors, or just haven't done much on the low speed tune yet?

(Or, I guess, incredibly long stop-and-go)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 11, 2017

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It really doesn't obstruct as much as you'd think. Reminds me of having a WRX with a hoodscoop: you filter it out after a week.

Why is your idle mileage so bad? Huge injectors, or just haven't done much on the low speed tune yet?

(Or, I guess, incredibly long stop-and-go)

e98 fuel, 4.03 rear gear, slipper clutch, 35 minutes in traffic, 200lb/hr injectors, and my wonderful power tuning. I am sure I can go tons leaner in idle, but the car reads 14.7 on gas scale(even with e85 I think in gas stoich). It starts great and prevents clutch/brake in high vacuum slowdown bogs which can be better tuned with enrichment tables but become a lot more complex.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

So I ordered my Moser ford 9" fabricated rear end, 15x12 champion billet beadlocks, moser four link kit, and wilwood rear disc. With that comes lots of cutting. Didnt have a welding blanket on hand until it arrived in the mail a hour ago, so I only got a small bit done. Cut out my old rollbar last week and this is where I started

First to avoid fires, I removed all the fancy carpet I kept for no loving reason.

My next move was to cut the gas tank portion of the unibody out. Giving me a nice place to mount the upper four link shocks.

Finally I removed all the wiring towards the rear of the car and began cutting around the lower portion of the tubs. Red is what I have yet to decide where to cut.

Now I can either do mini-tubs or fullsize tubs. Minitubs from this point are about a half hours work away, and full size tubs not so much. Here are examples.

Most S2000s with solid rears opt for mini tubs. These are essentially just width wise extensions to the existing wheel well.

A few of my friends cut all the way to the edge for fullsize tubs. These allow a potential 29"+ tire but Ive yet to see it done. They also look better.

There are advantages to the second method but it is a bit more work, though I feel like it is the way to go. I will be sleeping on it.

tehk fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 25, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That's a shitload of tire shoved in there.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Yeah that is a 28x10.5W. The W stands for "I'm a big loving cheater". Essentially they take a 13 inch wide tire and put a 10.5 inch cross width tread on it, so when you launch you get way way more contact area than a 10.5 non-W.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Every time I think this thread cannot get better, the power tools come out again.

You should post the tub pics on Facebook, and ask for suspension setup pointers, saying that you still want it to handle.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I will take all the black interior bits and carpeting off your hands that you don't want

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Nodoze posted:

I will take all the black interior bits and carpeting off your hands that you don't want

come to philly and have em

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

tehk posted:

come to philly and have em

What do you have :raise:

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Nodoze posted:

What do you have :raise:

Everything. Between here, my house, and my parents barn loft.

Ok so I cut the car apart today. Left the shock mounts on for future transport to the chassis shop.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Getting closer. 28x10.5 fits almost well. More cutting still

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:stare:

This just keeps getting sillier.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

So good.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I was going to ask if it will still be able to turn after this but it’s an S2000 so of course it will be able to turn. Can’t wait for videos of it released back into the wild.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:perfect:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Larrymer posted:

:stare:

This just keeps getting awesomer.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Well, that's one way to fix the S2000's rear suspension geometry. Awesome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well, that's one way to fix the S2000's rear suspension geometry. Awesome.

It works fine for me :colbert:

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

I was going to ask if it will still be able to turn after this but it’s an S2000 so of course it will be able to turn. Can’t wait for videos of it released back into the wild.

Not well haha.

fabricated narrow 9" ford housing, wilwood brakes, and four link kit showed up.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Just out of curiousity, what made you decide to go with a Ford 9" instead of a Dana 60?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

boxen posted:

Just out of curiousity, what made you decide to go with a Ford 9" instead of a Dana 60?

9" is vastly more common in the drag racing aftermarket, isn't it?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

9" is vastly more common in the drag racing aftermarket, isn't it?

Yeah, probably. I know I've seen Dana 60's under higher power and/or heavier cars though, was just curious.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Because of the 9"s pinion offset, with the proper case and bearings and whatnot, I've seen a lot of talk about it being about as strong as the Dana too.

There's not really any live axle with the 9"s aftermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah the Ford 9 is a very well designed axle.

Removable third member, which is amazing when doing gears.
Removable pinion bearing housing, very convenient doing gears in. The pinion bearing preload and pinion depth are decoupled completely from each other so you can set preload and then forget all about it instead of it affecting your depth readings.
Carrier bearing side adjusters make ring gear backlash setting a breeze, especially when combined with the pinion depth being set by shims under the removable housing.
No "carrier break". The same housing and carrier support gears all the way from 2.xx to 6.xx ratios.
Large hypoid offset means you lose a little power to heating the gear oil but also means it's incredibly strong for the ring gear diameter.
Like the Chevy 14 bolt, it has 3 pinion bearings, effectively putting the pinion head in double shear instead of it being cantilevered off the shaft and two tapered bearings like most other axles.

It's far lighter than the 60 as well. Dana Spicer rearends like the 60 require adjusting 4 different sets of shims all trapped under pressed on/in bearings that all affect each other's impact on the gear tooth contact pattern. Meanwhile the 9 inch, 3 of those dimensions are controlled by either shims under a bolted assembly (way easier to change them pressed bearings) or adjuster collars, and the other is handled by a crushed spacer tube on factory units but can be set by shims if you do desire. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me they could do a quality 9 inch gear setup in an hour, while it took me like 8 hours to do my first d30.

• Locked thread