Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
EFRs are cool and all, but a little pricey- I think possibly worth it if you are starting from scratch. The iwg is convenient, but becomes a hindrance to flow though the turbine compared to an external gate.

Also, they should have made a size bigger than the 9180.

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You cant call it a sleeper if you sound like a jet fighter and can be heard a mile away :colbert:

Well you can but just say it snores like a morbidly obese man with sleep apnea

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 19, 2017

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

tehk posted:

When I complain about how I have to fit all this poo poo in a 5lb bag I will remember this guys RSX that just friended me on facebook.

How the loving hell

holy moly :stare:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Not front heavy AT ALL

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Don Lapre posted:

Not front heavy AT ALL

Well, with it being FWD and all, the extra weight over the front axles is welcome.

This thread is awesome, and is putting naughty ideas in my head too.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Anyone know of any fiberglass guys who could do a full front clip? I need a one or two piece quick release front end.

Like this:

Bajaha posted:

This thread is awesome, and is putting naughty ideas in my head too.

Make sure to bounce those ideas around here when you get serious!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Yup, that's him. I remember following the project on Toyota Nation ( a loooong time ago) and it was fun to watch the first mild iterations of that car and how it totally got out of control.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Anyone use Vanjens or Wiggins clamps? I want to buy a pair of 3 inch and one 4 inch clamp. That is like $280 in clamps please help me justify this by saying they are awesome. Ugh I wish normal aluminum vbands didn't lead to certain cracked cold sides

Here is a chevy SSR with the same manifold/intercooler setup I am using with Wiggins clamps(like $500 compared to Vibrant's Vanjens). Such a loving sexy merge collector

tehk fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 21, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I was not impressed with the vibrant ones a friend has on his time attack car. They seemed really loose although apparently don't leak under boost. Could also be that he just needed some fresh o-rings at the time though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Check out Linder Fab's LPS Alphaloc. He's a local machinist and I'm planning on running a set on my 3 rotor.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Not sure how you feel about used equipment but I've been picking up a lot of used NASCAR stuff (hoses, clamps, oil tank, etc) on ebay. There's a pretty good selection of used wiggen clamps.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

9000 rpm bro it revs to 9000 rpm the engine revs to 9000 four wheeled motorcycle bro 9000 9000 9000.

lol @ "four wheeled motorcycle" (I have heard this about S2000s several times)

9000 RPM redline eh? Crazy-high revs just like a motorcycle huh? Well let's just pull up a random Honda bike here and

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 21, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

15.5 rpm isn't that high :cheeky:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The redline is 19,000 :cheeky:

If you can think of a stock street-legal motor vehicle with a faster-moving crankshaft I'd love to hear about it.

e: oh, you were making a joke about the numbers on the gauge. It says RPMx1000 RIGHT THERE. COME ON

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 21, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:lol:

Sorry, it was a terrible joke.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The redline is 19,000 :cheeky:

If you can think of a stock street-legal motor vehicle with a faster-moving crankshaft I'd love to hear about it.

e: oh, you were making a joke about the numbers on the gauge. It says RPMx1000 RIGHT THERE. COME ON

A Moneyshifted S2000

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

It says RPMx1000 RIGHT THERE. COME ON

I too, can add a 0 to my tach, except in my case that will make the Versa idle at 11k, redline's at a lofty 65k. Beat that. :smug:

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

jamal posted:

I was not impressed with the vibrant ones a friend has on his time attack car. They seemed really loose although apparently don't leak under boost. Could also be that he just needed some fresh o-rings at the time though.
Well that sucks. What worries me about the vanjens is they just released a HD version for more money. At that point I'd rather have the Alphaloc, but.....

the spyder posted:

Check out Linder Fab's LPS Alphaloc. He's a local machinist and I'm planning on running a set on my 3 rotor.
These are sexy and priced drat good, but I need a 4 inch clamp and he doesn't make them. I'd do his 3 inch for sure, but I'd prefer not to mix clamping systems.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Not sure how you feel about used equipment but I've been picking up a lot of used NASCAR stuff (hoses, clamps, oil tank, etc) on ebay. There's a pretty good selection of used wiggen clamps.

Unfortunately I only see the smaller wiggins used on ebay, now I am tempted to use their hydro fittings, but Jason Schmuck just finished my custom radiator with 16an fittings so i am not sure how those wiggins hydroclamps work, but for 20 bucks I might have to find out.

Anyway I really hope this radiator keeps me cool. It is 13x25.5 with true a 2.75 core. I feel good about it considering there will be no intercooler blocking airflow so that and the core should make up for the loss of 3 vertical inches and two horizontal. Just glad to have a rad small ebough to mount where the bumper beam would be on a stock car. Super tucked jdm yo

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The car spends a lot of time on the dyno and makes good power so I feel like he would notice a leak. But yeah, I was helping out with suspension at a track day and noticed the charge pipes were super floppy in the couplers. When I mentioned it he didn't seem concerned.

As far as the radiator goes, giving the air somewhere to go makes a huge difference. If the inlet and outlet are fully ducted from the front of the car to the hood the openings can be like 1/2 the size of the actual core or less and it will still be more effective than having it sit there in the open.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

How about a car with no hood? I should probably start trying to figure that out soon

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Heh, not really ideal. But a big cowl in the center to clear the manifold and then big vents to each side would work well. They could take some of the turbo and exhaust heat out along with air from the radiator.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

tehk posted:

Anyone use Vanjens or Wiggins clamps? I want to buy a pair of 3 inch and one 4 inch clamp. That is like $280 in clamps please help me justify this by saying they are awesome. Ugh I wish normal aluminum vbands didn't lead to certain cracked cold sides

Here is a chevy SSR with the same manifold/intercooler setup I am using with Wiggins clamps(like $500 compared to Vibrant's Vanjens). Such a loving sexy merge collector

What's the magic of automotive v band and v band clamps? As best I can tell, both the KF/QF fittings you see in vacuum systems and the Tri-clover fittings you see in the beverage production world do pretty much the same thing.

Has anyone plumbed a turbo with either using the weldable flanges? Wonder if the clamps are compatible enough to seal whichever taper a v-band is...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Using a rigid connection like the v-bands for IC piping does not work so well because the IC is generally mounted to the body while the turbos are on the engine. So there is a lot of relative movement, as well as thermal expansion, which need to be compensated for. The vanjen/winggins style clamps allow flex and movement but are more secure than a silicone coupler and clamps.

However, with a good bead on the end of the tube, good alignment, and good clamps they tend to stay put. I actually prefer these to t-bolts:

http://www.murraycorp.com/clamp/constant-tension/constant-tension-turbo-seal-clamps-tss/

It is what you see on high boost trucks and wrc cars and such when wiggins clamps aren't used.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 22, 2017

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Thanks to the jackass who mentioned used NASCAR wiggins fittings on ebay I've spent the last few hours chain buying used nascar hoses off of ebay. About $200 of assembled 16an XRP superlight hoses later I still had to buy another $200 of new Aeroquip fittings and 12an hose to plumb my intercooler setup. On the bright side I know that the average 30 inch new XRP hose assembly ranges from $250-400 and I picked up a half dozen ranging from 15" to 96". I got to pet a few of these hoses at a circle track trade show I got tricked into attending a few months ago. They feel like a dollar store garden hose in terms of weight but can bend into a 1.5" radius and not kink while withstanding 400F. Glad to not have to worry about the Push-Lok poo poo I was planning on running to save weight.

Now my only worry is what I should be cleaning the inside of these hoses with before I run water through them. I don't want to do any damage to the internal casing with just any cleaner. I am assuming on a NASCAR application they are running them for the dry sump so I will need to wash away some oil.

In other news the mail man came with my Schmuckbuilt radiator, twin JGS 50mm wastegates, and 60mm blowoff valves. This weekend I should be able to mount the turbos firmly enough to start figuring out the cold side merge. Still have to decide on what type of clamshells I want to go with. I wish I had tried the Pegasus ebay specials on a cheaper car in advanced because I see a few strip only cars on Yellobullet running these wiggins clones. I just don't feel like making the cold side twice if I get a burst so I guess I need to sell a kidney for a set of Vanjens or whatevers.

Worse comes to worse I guess I will go with the constant pressure bolts like Jamal recommended. They look pretty boss for sure.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Do you have wholesale/dealer accounts to get discounts on this stuff? Well, that is not used/coming from ebay anyhow.

They make constant tension t-bolt clamps as well, you can find them at semi truck dealers and such. I like the internal rib on the murray clamps though. And even those things are like $10-15 a piece. Turbosmart appears to supply them in 2-packs.

I haven't looked under the hood of a lot of drag cars and the most boost I've ever dealt with was 35-38 psi. In that case standard t-bolts were fine though. We had a coupler come off a few times after the front got wanged up and then the intercooler was moved a bit so there was a bit more misalignment.

e- looks like plenty of straight up v-bands on pro-mod, outlaw etc turbo cars. Some wiggins and knockoffs, some regular silicone couplers and t-bolts, some of the murray clamps.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 23, 2017

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

jamal posted:

Do you have wholesale/dealer accounts to get discounts on this stuff? Well, that is not used/coming from ebay anyhow

I have plenty of friends who are fabricators in the industry so I usually just post on Instagram/Facebook when I'm wanting to make a big purchase saying "someone get me a deal on two wastegates" or whatever. The JGS gates can be bought retail for 716 and I got them for 510 with priority shipping. If I paid retail for everything I would never be able to build this car

The vanjen stuff unfortunately isn't just vanity to me. With twin turbos and lots of intercooler piping right in the crest of the bay I am really wanting to be able to effortlessly be able to pull off the tubing to move it out of the way. Worse comes to worse I will pickup the constant pressure clamps and just carry a quick wrench.

I'm definitely getting to the point where even though all my big ticket purchases are done I am shocked with how much more cash I'm gonna be nickel and dimed for to finish the car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

tehk posted:

Thanks to the jackass who mentioned used NASCAR wiggins fittings on ebay I've spent the last few hours chain buying used nascar hoses off of ebay. About $200 of assembled 16an XRP superlight hoses later I still had to buy another $200 of new Aeroquip fittings and 12an hose to plumb my intercooler setup. On the bright side I know that the average 30 inch new XRP hose assembly ranges from $250-400 and I picked up a half dozen ranging from 15" to 96". I got to pet a few of these hoses at a circle track trade show I got tricked into attending a few months ago. They feel like a dollar store garden hose in terms of weight but can bend into a 1.5" radius and not kink while withstanding 400F. Glad to not have to worry about the Push-Lok poo poo I was planning on running to save weight.

Now my only worry is what I should be cleaning the inside of these hoses with before I run water through them. I don't want to do any damage to the internal casing with just any cleaner. I am assuming on a NASCAR application they are running them for the dry sump so I will need to wash away some oil.
:hfive: Glad I could help. The ones I've bought are fairly clean but there's some residual oil, I'd rinse them with some gas or acetone. Even after that it might be a good idea to do a flush after the first heat cycle or two. I'm using them for oil but plan on doing an oil change after the first hour or so of run time to clean things out.

Crap now I'm thinking of running them for the coolant circuit as well, would really clean things up...

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
If you're going to run a cross pipe for the wastegate/s, are you concerned about boost surging?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

IPCRESS posted:

If you're going to run a cross pipe for the wastegate/s, are you concerned about boost surging?

I don't plan on running one. I just got two JGS 50mms in the mail so I am no longer stuck in the HKS GT2 hell

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

More mockup with the new rad. Waiting on AN fittings to come in so I can do the lines before I settle on dump tube and gate placement.

The intercooler piping is gonna be fun. If I cut each pipe 3/4 from the edge it will match the radius combined of a single 4 inch tube so I should be able to transition it

tehk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 26, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Is there a reason you don't just have the compressor covers clocked so the outlets point up? In the way of the tb?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

jamal posted:

Is there a reason you don't just have the compressor covers clocked so the outlets point up? In the way of the tb?

Like my earlier photos? So they'd have to curve downwards towards the nose of the car. That would make having a hood impossible. I tried it original and I'd need a nose like a beluga whale instead of a gradual cowl

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

tehk posted:

When I complain about how I have to fit all this poo poo in a 5lb bag I will remember this guys RSX that just friended me on facebook.

How the loving hell

LS4, probably, from a mid-2000s General Motors FWD Sportboat like the Grand Prix GXP, Impala/Monte Carlo SS.

You can swap a small block anywhere, even into FWD vehicles. :haw:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
lovebread just posted this in #ai

http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=13381

It's a couple more pictures of the acura (is the drivers-side headlamp fogged because of the heat?), and a picture of a Saturn sedan that allegedly has a LS4 under the hood too.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

lovebread just posted this in #ai

http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=13381

It's a couple more pictures of the acura (is the drivers-side headlamp fogged because of the heat?), and a picture of a Saturn sedan that allegedly has a LS4 under the hood too.

The Saturn does infact have a ls4. Why I do not know but it does.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't see any problem with a poverty spec Saturn having an LS. I don't think you can really achieve sleeper status any better than that.

I'm kinda surprised that the F23 (trans) holds up to that though. It's only rated for 150hp. I guess GM was extremely conservative with the ratings on it? I have the same trans in my car, it's good to know it'll handle some real abuse.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Pretty sure they are using the LS4's 4T65-HD not a F23

If anyone wants to know my motivation its cause these guys next door run low 7s in these 1.3 liters...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
JFC I want to sell all of my worldly possessions and sleep on the floor of your shop, subsisting only on rice and water, so that I might one day attain enlightenment and join the fold of batfuck crazy people you surround yourself with.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Haha. I am a small fish my pond

Here is distance to my shop to the industial park where we head to out at night.
Here is what goes on

tehk fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

This thread was amazing. The video of the little eclipse/lazer/talon spanking the gtr made it even better.

• Locked thread