Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I note that, in fairness, "package size" isn't much of a priority for most OEMs as long as it fits. I suspect GM bothered because they had the idea they could fit it into more places if they did so and they have the attitude of living with an architecture for a long time, so yeah, an OEM that bothered with shrinking engine package size successfully did so. You can do a bunch of things to shrink DOHC engine package size too but I can't think of many OEMs that bother.

Blah blah blah, I'm going to stop making GBS threads up the thread about a badass project now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Hmm, Accord motor swapped for truck motor. Fair trade. :D

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

cursedshitbox posted:

"adheres to the original intentions of the engineers" this fuckwad obviously never owned anything Italian or British. Keep fightin' the goodfight, your car rules. gently caress them.

The original intentions of the engineers hosed the rear suspension geometry up too, is fixing that verboten? Answer: who gives a poo poo. :D

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

kastein posted:

Can you just superimpose the dyno curves from the new engine on the chart from the original engine and reply to him with that, please? I want to see his head explode.

Hell the new setup probably makes more at ~1500 than the old one did anywhere, if I had to pull a number out of my rear end.

No no, see, now it makes *too much* power; the optimum amount of power is exactly as Honda delivered it, trying for more upsets the blah blah blah blah blah

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

In theory, yes, but the aluminum blocks aren't exactly weak, and (as the OP shows) can be built to handle a stupid amount of boost all the same.

I like to imagine that somewhere in England in the '60s, there was someone frothing at the mouth about how DARE that Texan defile the AC Ace by putting some goddamn V8 in it!

Except in that case, the V8 was lighter too.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Reminds me of people bitching about how I had my peripheral port rotary idling too low on a video I posted. LOL internet tuners.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'm so tired of everyone gargling VTEC jizz. It's emissions poo poo so Honda could sell a decent cam, woohoo. Only interesting thing about the F20C is that Honda managed to make decent ports fit under the hood.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Well, that's one way to fix the S2000's rear suspension geometry. Awesome.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Because of the 9"s pinion offset, with the proper case and bearings and whatnot, I've seen a lot of talk about it being about as strong as the Dana too.

There's not really any live axle with the 9"s aftermarket.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

It's funny - I'm actually tinkering with the idea of aftermarket IRS carriers around aftermarket Dana ring/pinions, but ... not using much else of the Dana housing design, heh heh.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

kastein posted:

A few of those exist already sorta, like the high pinion d35, d44, and d50 housings for the front ends of various Ford SUVs and pickups, the low pinion Corvette d44 I think, and I believe the Dakota used some sort of dXX ICA front axle assembly.

Would be way way easier to use those than try and duplicate the castings and machining IMO. And I love distracting myself with projects to build something my project needs.

Yeah, there's stuff that's close to be sure, but I was thinking in terms of a 8/10ths-to-proper-motorsport dealie - minimal extra casting mass and volume, proper assortment of mount points, etc, possibly provision for active diffs. Due to all the stuff the Dana stuff is used in, there's a nice range of ring sizes and ratios available without need to make my own gears.

May not be necessary, just something I'm thinking of. Anyway, whole thing's a sidetrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'd stick with the S2000. Way I look at it... if you're trying to do something professionally (Pro-Mod or whatever) you're a fool for not optimizing to the limits and following proven ground as much as possible because you are going to need to stretch every resource to catch the frontrunners.

But you're not, you're doing the whole thing to just be a ridiculously fast handful, right? You're not trying to edge out a bunch of cars that are built to a similar combination, you're trying to do your own hilarious thing.

It's easy for me to have opinions on how other people should spend their money though. ;)

• Locked thread