Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Nice. Every car needs more "big loving turbo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

tehk posted:

Haters gonna hate when my car was on reddit

Ha, worth it just for that.

Have been involved with building a high powered track S2k and everything broke all the time. Blown up motors, broken transmissions, diffs, etc. Making it though one weekend intact was rare. AFI ended up just putting a nascar 4-speed and ford rear end in their car.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 16, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

CSB I get that this particular block didn't come out of a truck, I'm just questioning why it would matter at all.

A lot of the truck engines are iron block and therefore much heavier.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I want to build an LS that revs to 9k. Short stroke, long rods, light parts should do it?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Those turbos out front aren't going to be great for weight distribution, but did you ever put the car on scales when it was n/a?

Also do you mind if I put a picture or two on a facebook page?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A 6.0 destroked to 334ci. Uh, thanks for making me do unit conversions guys.

6.0l = 366 ci
334 ci = 5.47 l

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah a single 66 could possibly handle both banks?

I think I would avoid having two different wastegates. I can see differences in boost and back pressure causing issues.

And holy poo poo, msrp of $750 for those things, I didn't realize big wastegates were so expensive. The 50mm turbosmarts are cheaper, but not by much.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 19, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

EFRs are cool and all, but a little pricey- I think possibly worth it if you are starting from scratch. The iwg is convenient, but becomes a hindrance to flow though the turbine compared to an external gate.

Also, they should have made a size bigger than the 9180.

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 19, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I was not impressed with the vibrant ones a friend has on his time attack car. They seemed really loose although apparently don't leak under boost. Could also be that he just needed some fresh o-rings at the time though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The car spends a lot of time on the dyno and makes good power so I feel like he would notice a leak. But yeah, I was helping out with suspension at a track day and noticed the charge pipes were super floppy in the couplers. When I mentioned it he didn't seem concerned.

As far as the radiator goes, giving the air somewhere to go makes a huge difference. If the inlet and outlet are fully ducted from the front of the car to the hood the openings can be like 1/2 the size of the actual core or less and it will still be more effective than having it sit there in the open.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Heh, not really ideal. But a big cowl in the center to clear the manifold and then big vents to each side would work well. They could take some of the turbo and exhaust heat out along with air from the radiator.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Using a rigid connection like the v-bands for IC piping does not work so well because the IC is generally mounted to the body while the turbos are on the engine. So there is a lot of relative movement, as well as thermal expansion, which need to be compensated for. The vanjen/winggins style clamps allow flex and movement but are more secure than a silicone coupler and clamps.

However, with a good bead on the end of the tube, good alignment, and good clamps they tend to stay put. I actually prefer these to t-bolts:

http://www.murraycorp.com/clamp/constant-tension/constant-tension-turbo-seal-clamps-tss/

It is what you see on high boost trucks and wrc cars and such when wiggins clamps aren't used.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 22, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Do you have wholesale/dealer accounts to get discounts on this stuff? Well, that is not used/coming from ebay anyhow.

They make constant tension t-bolt clamps as well, you can find them at semi truck dealers and such. I like the internal rib on the murray clamps though. And even those things are like $10-15 a piece. Turbosmart appears to supply them in 2-packs.

I haven't looked under the hood of a lot of drag cars and the most boost I've ever dealt with was 35-38 psi. In that case standard t-bolts were fine though. We had a coupler come off a few times after the front got wanged up and then the intercooler was moved a bit so there was a bit more misalignment.

e- looks like plenty of straight up v-bands on pro-mod, outlaw etc turbo cars. Some wiggins and knockoffs, some regular silicone couplers and t-bolts, some of the murray clamps.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 23, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Is there a reason you don't just have the compressor covers clocked so the outlets point up? In the way of the tb?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Exhaust flowing through smooth transitions better than a sharp bend isn't really black magic.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you had a regular gasoline map, sure.

• Locked thread