Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glyph
Apr 6, 2006

tehk posted:

Anyone use Vanjens or Wiggins clamps? I want to buy a pair of 3 inch and one 4 inch clamp. That is like $280 in clamps please help me justify this by saying they are awesome. Ugh I wish normal aluminum vbands didn't lead to certain cracked cold sides

Here is a chevy SSR with the same manifold/intercooler setup I am using with Wiggins clamps(like $500 compared to Vibrant's Vanjens). Such a loving sexy merge collector

What's the magic of automotive v band and v band clamps? As best I can tell, both the KF/QF fittings you see in vacuum systems and the Tri-clover fittings you see in the beverage production world do pretty much the same thing.

Has anyone plumbed a turbo with either using the weldable flanges? Wonder if the clamps are compatible enough to seal whichever taper a v-band is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Trying to figure this out. Is he sperging out about OPs valve covers and the crate LSX instead of the tried and true LS(INFINITIVE X) to describe the family of LS motors?

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/lsx-454

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That Facebook link is proof most social media users are loving idiots.

I like the guy saying that LS motors are a 30 degree V which is why they're so small and get swapped into everything.

Or that he should have used a 2jz to save weight up front.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

tehk posted:

I was planning on trimming the wastegate tubes sorta flush but now that it is mind loving every symmetry hounds head I am tempted to leave them

The Bowtie running to starboard isn't helping either.

E: or is the Honda badge running to port. :iiam:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

So good.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Is that the DMD drinking Florida e/n welder guy?

VV hell yeah he is. Been wondering what happened to him lately.

glyph fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 8, 2017

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

tehk posted:

Where can I get thick posters printed affordably? I want to print a flat pattern and cut it out to test fit on the car before I laser my sample at the metal shop on monday and start forming.

Everywhere I look is limited to 48" and my pattern is like 24x60"

Not exactly the same thing, but at work we've discovered a 5/16" r8 collet fits a sharpie drat well. We'll use the mill from time to time as a plotter to check dimensions. Maybe you can use the laser gantry in the same way?

Assuming you have a cnc laser cutter...

Similarly, an overhead projector (good luck finding one of those) with a 8.5x11 printout projected on something you can trace the lines could work for a cardboard aided design mockup.

E: Like so. Plotting out 1/4 of the load area of our z pinch machine and then the piece and three others test fit on the load region. I cut them out with a utility knife. These were optical breadboards once all was said and done.

glyph fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 9, 2017

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Is there a thread somewhere for this, cause it's interesting and I feel like there should be.

Like a general fabrication thread, maybe a little more focused than the metal working thread in DIY?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

tehk posted:

Only issues is I will be unable to find new connectors for the harness

:siren: Paging Mr Stein to the single can thread :siren:

Serioisly, kastein is an encyclopedia for this kind of poo poo.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

tehk posted:

Oh the ones on the smartwire I know those are 32006-A22 bussman connectors, its the honda connectors for things like window switches, headlights, signals, taillights, wiper, wiper/light control, and the few other interior things I know I will have trouble finding pins and connectors for

If you can figure out if any of them cross to other Honda cars and are up using for pigtails from a pick and pull you could put a shopping list in the op, I know I have a PaP mission coming up in the near future.

Of course if you do the work to suss that out, you'd probably have the search terms to find them brand new online.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Would any of this be nearly as fun without the social media vitriol? Not a lot of fanbois out there who get salty about a drag Camaro with an LS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Going to post his here as well as the other thread:

Is this the part where you tell what the wheelbase and track of the new ride and and we get to googling cars for donor body panels?

Just think, you could have the fastest tube frame Mazda MPV in the world.

• Locked thread