Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

A misanthrope posted:

i mean, to be fair you do seem really mad
I've got such massive insecurities that I'll slit my own throat to get back at the people who called me stupid for supporting a moron, so DON'T CALL ME FAT

:qq: means posts on a dead gay forum determine the outcome of elections :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

A misanthrope posted:

and it will just get worse

trump hasn't mentioned automation once, even tho it has taken like 90% of the manufacturing jobs. he just points his orange finger at the brown people.

I believe the current data indicates ~75% of manufacturing job losses are due to automation, with only about 25% being lost due to off-shoring. And yes, it's going to get worse. And the people who will benefit from jobs opening up if manufacturing moves stateside are not in trump's constituency, they'll be the people maintaining, and designing the robots. Typically the technician positions will require an associate's degree at least.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Why do hippies fail at 2 steps of logic?

1) Factories are still being moved overseas so why are companies doing this?

2) If there weren't low skilled jobs here why are there so many illegal immigrants?

are illegals taking over manufacturing jobs in the us?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

2) If there weren't low skilled jobs here why are there so many illegal immigrants?

automation took the jobs, and now even the manufacturing that was moved overseas is being automated. your iphone was made by a robot.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The problem is not enough Americans want to work poo poo jobs for little pay

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Brain Curry posted:

US is still the second largest manufacturer in the world. It's just done by robots. Those jobs are never coming back.

how could democrats lose with such a resonant message??

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hate Fibration posted:

I believe the current data indicates ~75% of manufacturing job losses are due to automation, with only about 25% being lost due to off-shoring. And yes, it's going to get worse. And the people who will benefit from jobs opening up if manufacturing moves stateside are not in trump's constituency, they'll be the people maintaining, and designing the robots. Typically the technician positions will require an associate's degree at least.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
tbf I'm glad America is ending

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Knight posted:

I've got such massive insecurities that I'll slit my own throat to get back at the people who called me stupid for supporting a moron, so DON'T CALL ME FAT

:qq: means posts on a dead gay forum determine the outcome of elections :qq:

it really is quite a time to be alive

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

hes a funny president

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Hate Fibration posted:

So do we not even defend 1/4 of the jobs? I don't even get this argument

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

tenspott posted:

Millenials stand to benefit the most from President Trump's actions

How do young people stand to benefit more than other age groups?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hate Fibration posted:

Those are bad numbers because they only speak to the mfg. jobs that were left here after the sector had been ravaged by the neoliberal globalists. There is still an awful lot of stuff that robots can't do. It's just being done by Chinese or Mexican workers now instead of Americans.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Can we like, let him do whatever he wants economically but block everything else he tries to pass?

Not gunna lie, bringing a $7bil chip plant to Arizona and stopping several companies from building in Mexico was loving impressive.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

935 posted:

How do young people stand to benefit more than other age groups?

Older people don't need good jobs. They're retired.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
"Those jobs aren't coming back dipshits!"

Hillary 2016

Alternative campaign slogan:

"What are you gonna do, vote for Trump? :smug:"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

a bone to pick posted:

Can we like, let him do whatever he wants economically but block everything else he tries to pass?

Not gunna lie, bringing a $7bil chip plant to Arizona and stopping several companies from building in Mexico was loving impressive.

it's all or nothing goddammit now are you with us or against us

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

tenspott posted:

Older people don't need good jobs. They're retired.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/general/2016/03/26/heres-what-the-average-baby-boomer-has-saved-for-r.aspx

http://time.com/money/4287851/retirement-reality-boomers/

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article85981067.html

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/032216/are-we-baby-boomer-retirement-crisis.asp

https://www.fool.com/retirement/general/2016/05/15/baby-boomers-retirement-woes-summed-up-in-5-statis.aspx

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

tenspott posted:

Those are bad numbers because they only speak to the mfg. jobs that were left here after the sector had been ravaged by the neoliberal globalists. There is still an awful lot of stuff that robots can't do. It's just being done by Chinese or Mexican workers now instead of Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdAZbTr1vgQ

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Good, I'm glad baby boomers can't retire.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

crosspostting this from another thread to show that tenspott is actually some goon's grandpa who got on his computer and started posting:

tenspott posted:

They're already there, friend. Hollyweird and the left are dying. Once the Chinese start making their own media the party will come to an abrupt halt.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

So do we not even defend 1/4 of the jobs? I don't even get this argument

Basically, yes. Defending those jobs is a band-aid solution, automation as a driver of job loss is just going to get stronger and stronger. We need job retraining programs and eventually basic minimum income. Or a radical social restructuring.

tenspott posted:

Those are bad numbers because they only speak to the mfg. jobs that were left here after the sector had been ravaged by the neoliberal globalists.

What? No. Results of different studies with different methodologies Show very consistently the automation is the primary driver behind manufacturing job loss.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hate Fibration posted:

What? No. Results of different studies with different methodologies Show very consistently the automation is the primary driver behind manufacturing job loss.

facts don't matter anymore, remember? it's about feelings now, and these goons feel that the brown people took all the jobs.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
lol if you want a job

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceocNS-toDk

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

just wait until automation starts taking more middle class office jobs

i'd say everyone will be working at mcdonalds but robots will have those jobs too

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

A misanthrope posted:

i'd say everyone will be working at mcdonalds but robots will have those jobs too

I will gladly stand shoulder to shoulder with you fighting off the terminator hordes. I've already looked into what kind of shotgun shells are best for drones

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

A misanthrope posted:

Blockchain technology is already putting tons of accountants out of work and I've worked at two different companies in the last five years that automated most of the HR department.

It's only a matter of time

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I will gladly stand shoulder to shoulder with you fighting off the terminator hordes. I've already looked into what kind of shotgun shells are best for drones

get the explosive ones :rock:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

what if bernie finds a way to stump him after all

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

lmbo

and in your research did you find out which load reaches out to 10000 feet?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

rezatahs posted:

lmbo

Yah I've got a powerful load that will reach 10000 feet

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

rezatahs posted:

lmbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDRgoFLqQac

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

Blockchain technology is already putting tons of accountants out of work and I've worked at two different companies in the last five years that automated most of the HR department.

It's only a matter of time

Wow, automated HR. I'm surprised it took that long to write a python script that tells people to eat poo poo and go gently caress themselves.

Woden
May 6, 2006
For real though, what does the US manufacture that average people actually buy?

I don't remember buying anything with a made in the USA sticker on it since the 90's.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yah I've got a powerful load that will reach 10000 feet

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Woden posted:

I don't remember buying anything with a made in the USA sticker on it since the 90's.

Exactly, Thank you. I would rather have US created products that are higher quality and cost more than a bunch of cheap plastic garbage made by slaves

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Woden posted:

mostly textiles, iirc, and a lot of those are made in places like Guam, lol

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

shotguns and jammers

yeah you guys will be all set when skynet decides to drastically downgrade mil drone tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

rezatahs posted:

shotguns and jammers

yeah you guys will be all set when skynet decides to drastically downgrade mil drone tech

First of all, I was "joking" second of all the smartest thing is for robots to just be like little shards of metal that form death swarms

• Locked thread