Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

new phone who dis posted:

The Dems should realize that if they continue to push and end up with a big, wet fart, people are going to punish them for it.

Hahaha lol if that were the case then BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI wait what EMAILS

quote:

This isn't a win/win scenario for them. If the investigation they managed to knock Sessions off of comes back and exonerates Trump, they're going to pay for it politically. People supporting this witch hunt should realize the price they may have to pay if it doesn't pay off. They're making a heavy bet on Trump being an evil genius when most evidence points to ineptitude.

It doesn't matter what happens, everyone has the attention span of mayflies now and the American public literally cannot distinguish between smoke and fire, so let's throw more wet logs on this sucker and BREATHE DEEEEEEEP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

That works both for and against trying to keep the whole Russia thing going. You can only repackage it so many times. You're not wrong, though.

Every day the Trump White House spends mired in scandal and dealing with bullshit is another day they're not literally torturing puppies so this is all good imho

Seriously, today they were planning to announce the newest iteration of their Muslim Ban so even if this whole scandal evaporates tomorrow it bought brown people in America another day of freedom

(spoiler: this scandal is not evaporating)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I'm trying to figure out the thought process behind someone in the administration making puppy mill data a target but I just can't get my head around it.

Are you heavily invested in the puppy mill industry?

The logic here is generally "more money for us, gently caress you"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I wasn't sure the puppy mill people had such a strong lobby. It seems like a very strange place to target.

It's surprisingly easy to lobby for this kind of thing if you have money, but the why doesn't really matter much end of the day, they still did it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Frijolero posted:

Nothing will happen.

Sessions isn't going to resign. The GOP isn't going to force the issue. The Dems are going to pursue a fruitless investigation.

It doesn't have to force resignations to be worthwhile. It's worthwhile just as a constant distraction. Every hour Trump has to spend on this makes it harder for him to do other things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Like torture puppies?

Look, Trump's a monster and the Republicans are monsters and their policies are going to kill thousands of people. Just as one example, if nothing else, Paul Ryan's proposed and planned replacement of medicaid's defined benefit requirements with state-level block grants will by itself result in the deaths of tens of thousands of people due to lack of necessary medical care. And that's just one planned benefit cut out of many.

If pointing out that they are practically on the same level as Disney villains requires a hyperbolic example to get the point across -- and the puppies example does that -- so be it.

Toadvine posted:

Like war with Iran

hey, let's not narrow it down just yet!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/774340/Trump-military-review-North-Korea-China-Japan-Russia-Missile-War-Games

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Puppy mill stuff is not "patently untrue". At best, there's an alternate possible explanation (prior litigation) other than pure nefariousness.

On the other hand, there's also a pattern of the Trump administration destroying public records that help perceived "liberal" causes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.7dc53306b665
http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/trump-administration-removes-lgbtq-content-federal-websites-n711416
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/20/us/politics/trump-white-house-website.html
http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/1/25/14370712/trump-science-gagging-explained

I think you're extending the Trump administration the benefit of the doubt when they've done nothing to deserve same.

Especially since, in the instance of puppy mills specifically,

quote:

But one of Trump's most recent picks to helm his transition, Brian Klippenstein, has an almost cartoonishly-villainous history protecting puppy mills from regulation that would make them more humane.

Trump tapped Klippenstein to join the team leading the U.S. Department of Agriculture transition on Friday, Mother Jones reported. Klippenstein is the executive director of Protect the Harvest, an organization that, as Mother Jones reported, "seems to exist mainly to troll the Humane Society of the United States.". . . .

Klippenstein's organization has also, as Mother Jones reported, worked to fight legislation which would regulate puppy mills, factories in which puppies are bred to be sold in pet shops and malls. The bill that Protect the Harvest fought against proposed requiring "large-scale dog breeding operations" to "provide each dog under their care with sufficient food, clean water, housing and space."

https://mic.com/articles/162185/trump-s-newest-pick-is-a-defender-of-puppy-mills-an-industry-of-torture#.n0T2gTC6T

So sure, maybe the removal of puppy mill records is because of amorphous and unexplained litigation. Alternatively, the guy Trump hired who is in fact a puppy mill lobbyist is doing his job.

Kjoery posted:

hello welcome to hellthread where 25% of posters are frog men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnaY0l4XsM

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 3, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

My argument is that every time someone posts some dumb, untrue bullshit like puppy torture,

Look, it is actually and provably true that Trump's USDA took down public records about puppy mills and this will help puppy mill operators.

You can argue about the why but it did in fact happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The effort to remove the records was in motion since the last administration:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.22f1df461b05

Not quite; it was under consideration. Final call still Trump's administration. There were other options including partial redaction, but Trump's admin just defaulted to full removal -- fitting a general pattern of removing records, and (just by coincidence, I'm sure) fitting the agenda of the literal puppy mill lobbyist Trump hired to run the USDA.

Why are you bothering to oh-no-what-if-we-accidentally-make-Trump-look-too-bad defend this anyway? This is like one single example out of a hundred equally-or-more reprehensible things Trump's admin has either already done or has announced they will try to do.

Poetic Justice posted:

: poo poo, forgot the worst one of all...REPUBLICAN

:shrug:

Hey, I won't judge him on this, no kinkshaming

If Trump wants to get pissed on that's his right

Many of us would no doubt be happy to help him out

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 3, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I want the hooker piss thing to be real so bad but that's why it wont be.

At this point it's functionally un-true; even if incontrovertible proof were produced, it would be too easy to claim that proof was faked, and too many people would have too strong an interest in doing so.

Still true in my heart tho

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

afeelgoodpoop posted:

people could go to charity hospitals if they were broke. maybe people should actually understand how the world works before saying something ignorant like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnE83A1Z4U

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Frijolero posted:

Counterpoint: All this Russia bullshit is distracting from terrible poo poo that is already happening as we speak.

Democrats need to talk about the terrible ICE raids instead of playing cold warriors.

you make a good point but I think Americans are more likely to pay attention to Important Trump People getting caught loving up than they are to innocent (poor)(brown) people getting hosed over

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 3, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

He will make America American again.

He's a proud and loud-mouthed bald eagle eating a well done steak served on a golden plate, while a choir of soldiers sing the Star Spangled Banner in the background

He's the president America deserves

It's gonna be yooge, it's gonna be like Bioshock except with a golden ocean

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I think he might end up doing some good by accident. Killing TPP was one of those things. I don't think it will end up as bad as people think, but he's also not going to be the savior so many want. I'm actually optimistic that we might get a compromise immigration bill if some of the current rumbling turns out to be true. Hopefully the deportation stuff is just leverage to make that happen. They will also probably end up doing a Title IX reform that desperately needs to happen as well. School vouchers are also a mixed bag. *grinds teeth in forced smile*

*Jumps off of bridge*

"hopefully someone will catch me"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Harrower posted:

When there is a labor surplus the best thing to do is bring as many people into a country as possible with as little over sight as possible. It's just common sense.

Net immigration to the US is negative and has been for years

This is why our agriculture sector is collapsing, not enough people to harvest the crops

Immigration is a bullshit issue and anyone who doesn't want more people to come here is ignorant

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 3, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

it's just that they prefer if it'd be nubile asian and slavish housewives who immigrated

I thought the first lady was off limits

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mordor She Wrote posted:

What did Republicans learn from their tantrum other than to double down on it and tantrum harder?

And it worked, so let's do it too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Let's take over all the bird houses, really double down on calling Republicans russians, and girdlock all government functions! Apparently this is the way to success.

I'm not sure what the bird house thing is about but otherwise yes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

probably coincides with increase in frequency on how often russia and putin are covered in the american media so the average republican is more aware of putin and the tough man image that's designed to appeal to the likes of him/her, whereas before that people didn't really know who putin was and didn't give a poo poo?

Well, yeah, but that just reinforces the argument that literally the only thing Republican voters care about is raw authority. Like, fifty years' worth of COMMUNISM BAD got tossed out in a second because they all swooned over Putin's biceps. Just demonstrates that all that supposed conservative ideology was bullshit all along.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Frijolero posted:

Of course it's bullshit. Just 6 years ago, Mittens Romney was saying that Russia was an enemy.

But that doesn't change the fact that Russophobia is loving dumb on both sides.

Putin's an authoritarian, corrupt as hell, murders journalists, and has started multiple wars while lying constantly about what he's doing. He wants to destabilize western governments to make it easier to expand Russia's territory.

Raw russophobia, sure, irrational. I love vodka as much as anyone. Suspicion of Putin though? Completely rational. And Putin is the Russian government right now, so . . .

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Frijolero posted:

Russia wants to destabilize Western governments :lol:

What has the US been doing to Russia since 1917?

And your point is? So what?

In realpolitik terms, Russia is sitting on the other side of the chessboard. I'm not trying to say our side is better, I'm saying Putin is opposed to our goals. "Buuuuut Amerikka also did bad things!" is just misdirection.

Frijolero posted:

Your view of the Russian government is also incredibly immature. Yes, Putin is authoritarian. But Russia is still a democracy with a TON of special interests and opposition groups. It's not a one man show.

lol

again, what's your point here? So what?

Frijolero posted:

So what's your solution? Keep antagonizing Russia because their president is corrupt? Keep the brinkmanship even though Russia's military is paltry compared to ours? Call for Russia to end their nuclear program, even though we have nukes in Europe aimed at Moscow?

The "solution," such as it is, is ongoing balance-of-power politics, strong support of NATO, and a clear and unambiguous and stable foreign policy that reduces Putin's ability to exploit gaps and loopholes.

The problem with Trump's freewheeling pull-it-out-his-rear end style of diplomacy is that Putin's going to think he can get away with things he would never have attempted if the US had a stable sane government. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he tried invading the baltic states, for example, which could potentially trigger a NATO response and nuclear war, just because Trump's idiocy made Putin think such a grab was a worthwhile risk.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 4, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Frijolero posted:

Oh snap. I didn't know I was arguing with imperialists. I'll just see myself out cuz this poo poo is pointless.

How does it feel to know that you would've supported the Vietnam War? Did you fall for the WMDs ? :lol:

This is mega dumb. Saying "America has international interests that Putin opposes" is not being an "imperialist." Supporting the continued existence of NATO is not the same thing as supporting the invasion of Iraq.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 4, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gianthogweed posted:

I'm just going to dance in. Fart out this image. Then dance right out.

hahah if he did that he'd actually be a good president

spoilers: he'll never do that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Advocating for a stable government while admitting that your chosen party should destabilize it as much as possible because you don't like the results of an election is some serious hypocrisy.

You can accuse Trump of many things but "stability" is not one of them. The chaos of an impeachment proceeding, while not ideal, is relatively benign compared to Continued Trumpery.

Past that, though, even setting aside Trump, the Republican agenda as a whole is going to be disastrous. Look at their plan to go into debt default, for example, or Paul Ryan's plan to repeal Medicaid.

Blocking them in every legally possible way is, yes, more "stable" than allowing them to continue, because the Republican agenda is chaos and destruction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Are they neglecting to mention health savings accouts, or is this a real single payer system?

p. sure it's a fakeout

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fog Tripper posted:

He is the president because he won an election legally fair and square. He is now trying to do the things he promised to do if elected.

Why do you hate democracy? Did you mistake this thread for D&D?

And the Democrats get to delay and obstruct him, and that's good, so they should keep doing that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

But we need a stable government!

Not actuall what I said

Also you're the one trying to simultaneously play reasonable moderate AND defend donald trump which is prettylol

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

You have Trump Derangement Syndrome and actually floated the theory that he's torturing puppies for financial gain.

He is making it easier to torture puppies: that's not in dispute, that's factual.

We can argue over the why, that's still open for discussion. But he has appointed puppy mill lobbyists to key posts.

You're freezing up with Just World Fallacy: If trump were actually as bad as all the available facts indicate he is, the world would be a horrible place and the nation would be on a precipice

much easier to just tell yourself it's not that bad

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mnoba posted:

the kkk love donald trump therefor he is a racist, it's the same exact logic and i can't believe you are defending it lmao

Trump's racist 'cause he refused to rent apartments to black people

or because he called mexicans rapists

like, we don't even need the KKK thing

the man is not a mystery, he ain't hiding the ball

quote:

"Is Donald Trump a racist?" the man asked, blinking away the light of the yellow face as he emerged from his mile-deep cave

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 4, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mnoba posted:

i will acknowledge those things yes, now will you acknowledge those same racists exists in the democrat part, including hrc?

why are republicans still obsessed with bringing up Hillary as if she were relevant in any way

y'all are straight up going Cadaver Synod on that [gendered slur]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mnoba posted:

hrc also ran a racist campaign and is a racist, we all watched it in 2008 were you paying attention then?

See, Robert Byrd was a member of the KKK in the 1940's, so the democrats are just as

wait how are you using a computer if you're still stuck in the last century, do you even have internet in the decade you're posting from

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Harrower posted:

I forget, did he call all mexicans rapists, or just some?

Technically, he said "They're rapists," calling all Mexicans rapists, but then did try to course-correct and said "And some, I assume, are good people."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/06/16/full-text-donald-trump-announces-a-presidential-bid/?utm_term=.34dd48e638d9

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fog Tripper posted:

The depths of your disingenuous bullshit are limitless.

Dude, I'm posting sources, you're just bullshitting.

Which is basically what everyone should expect from a Trumpist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
No no see see trump didn't say ALL mexicans are rapists just like all the ones HERE that's COMPLETELY different

also "mexican isn't a race"

I love watching Trumpists try to squirm around and pretend the orange cheeto isn't exactly as horrible as everyone knows he is

If you're gonna support a racist cheeto, own it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

no frog tripper is so good, he posts the freshest, funniest memes, and makes cool original insults. dont be mean to frog tripper

Not meaning to be mean to any one dude but just . . . if someone actually tries to argue Trump isn't a horrible racist, just lol

like, David Duke and Richard Spencer aren't confused, why is anyone else?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

that poor man, all he wanted to do was exterminate all jews in the name of his cartoon frog and what does he get? punched in the face.

there is no justice in this world

He was too dapper to live

Like, at least he had that part of being a Nazi down: dude has nice suits

not like Hugo Boss level or anything but he's definitely a cut above the typical channer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mnoba posted:

not based on legality, based on the 9th being the 9th

Literally every court that's looked at the muslim ban has suspended it to one extent or another, the only difference with the 9th was the extent of the remedy they ordered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

insidius posted:

The best part about being Australian is I can walk down the street, look my countrymen in the eyes and know they are not the kind of people who would vote for someone like trump.

Must be hard for the rest of you.

I used to think like that

then Trump happened to my country

it could happen to you

• Locked thread