Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

nomadologique posted:

maybe the unlimited evidence that moral compromise is a necessity of real world operation should make an honest, thoughtful person raise an eyebrow at moral justification of any kind ... ?

Serving the interests of global capitalism with devastating effects for the global poor is one hell of a moral compromise dude. Yea tough decisions need to be made but maybe presidents can start making tough decisions in service of the lowly American citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Thirsty Girl posted:

Actually, the sitting executive branch has made it plainly obvious they have no qualms lying to the public and elected politicians, acting counter to decency on any issue, and generally being crookedly inept, or is that ineptly crooked?

Then both are hosed up and you don't have to align yourself with either one just because you dislike the other more

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

nomadologique posted:

they are you idiot. you are so much richer than 99% of the global population it would make your head spin if you ever sat down and tried to get some perspective.

The enlightenment dripping from your posts looks and smells an awful lot like poo poo.

I bet the president believes he's helping the American people but somehow the rich are still getting immeasurably richer and the poor get poorer so on and so forth the American machine marches on to the benefit of few

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

nomadologique posted:

guess what guys slavery never went away it just changed its outfit.

the plantation owner works for the sake of the plantation.

With metaphors like this I'm confused whether you're defending the system in place

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Nomad are you adderall posting again

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I dunno, math when my little sister was in school was pretty different than my math classes, I wonder if it's even more different now.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Trump status: not actually hosed

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

drat that was fast

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

nomadologique posted:

i answered pretty much every question asked of me.

how is it hard to understand that better and worse are not inherent aspects of the material universe?

Lol tell this to the globally poor lacking basic necessities you tried to throw at me a few pages ago.

Is there a point to your semi-detached diatribe?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Trump has a serious case of dick sucking lips

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Didn't OP toxx somewhere itt about Trump's status re: hosed or not? I think absence of criminal wrongdoing indicates this will not be the dick that fucks Donald

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
It's so bizarre hearing our president say poo poo like "I inherited this mess"

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

i'm the guy on the left who's dying inside

Internally,
say something man, speak up, call trump out for being the bully he is, now's your chance, you gotta do something

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Elevated power lines? lol what year is it

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Haverchuck posted:

looks like they finally got trump.

edit: he got away.

Haha

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
ProvE southerners aren't itching to gun down citizens why don'tcha

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

That Robot posted:

so you're saying you're a retard masturbator?

lol what woman would love to hear about alt-right horseshit 24/7 lmao

How does Spunky keep getting under peoples skin like this

my goodness

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

That Robot posted:

so are you getting minimum wage or do you have to drop trou for extra cash to make ends meet?

drat, you're really sticking it to poor people and sex workers with this post

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Ok but your party is most famous for making GBS threads on poor people so I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on here.

The country isn't as dichotomous as we're lead to believe

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Can someone please post that clip of Hillary being like "taking down criminal bankers won't end racism and sexism"

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWM0ukT-Xw

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

tao of lmao posted:

How bout that Hillary Clinton, huh? You guys hear about this? I heard she said stupid things during her two terrible election campaigns!! This is still relevant because,

It's was supposed to be a liberal tears thread after it was supposed to be a trump is hosed thread but now it's a catch all politics thread and I just wanna laugh at the big name losers to keep my own loser self sane

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

On one hand, more than 90% of all media is owned by like 5 companies and they spew nothing but propaganda, half-truths, and try to spin a narrative that benefits their owners, the rich, and the establishment in general.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the higher ups at Disney, Comcast, Time Warner, News Corp, and whoever else have their Trump discussion

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Smeed posted:

I don't follow this too closely but have any other politicians, trump supporter or not actually come out and said the media is trustworthy or that Trump is incorrect?

One perk of the status quo is that everybody favors it by default aka not saying anything means you support it

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Professor SJW posted:

kjoery you're a prtty cool dude i'm going to let you into the liberal doomsday bunker i'm building on my grandpa's ranch

I hope the doors are as unhinged as the occupants :boom:

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
nah you got it right with cool and good

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
You don't get the funding and support to be seriously considered for the presidency without falling into a narrow realm of acceptable stances on the issues.

Turns out too many cycles of this similarity among leaders results in outsider oafs appearing attractive to voters. Sarah Palin was a warning shot

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm going to let you guys in on a secret. The "alt-right" really doesn't exist like you think it does. It's a boogyman. It's a troll. It's irrelevant.

wrong, actually, they are legion because they are many

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

sounds about right

What's my post count now hehehe

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

The DNC has a new weapon, they can basically say "vote our way with no exceptions or you're getting four more years of Trump". Their candidate will win the primaries and you either vote for them in the general election or you get more Trump.

This isn't a winning strategy if they don't have someone of their own who can motivate a large chunk of those who stay home on election day for lack of a candidate worth supporting. All the people who voted for Trump are reliably republican and won't be swayed. Swing voters are mostly myth.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

What are you basing that on?

Not saying you're wrong just curious.

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/unpublished/swing_voters.pdf

It's a pdf and I'm phone posting otherwise I'd pull out choice bits. but it makes an interesting case that poll fluctuations are over interpreted to mean changes in voter attitudes (a satisfying narrative) when it more likely indicates a sample selection bias

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

T.S. Smelliot posted:

The Democratic party as a whole is a dead entity, full stop. The "official" one anyways, it's gangrenous and rotten to the core and can only continue to double down on shrill screaming in order to hemorrhage even more votes

I'm gonna hold off on agreeing with you until after Saturday when they vote for a new chair

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

T.S. Smelliot posted:

I'm honestly not saying this to be a dick, can you comment after the fact on whether they hosed up just as predictably bad or not?

Not sure I understand, you want me to weigh in after the vote to reflect on whether they behaved as stupidly as you and I expect they will? Because if so, absolutely.

The chair vote will determine whether the party is at the very least willing to pay lip service to the left wing of the party (can't be worse than their behavior last year) or stay the course

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Pawn 17 posted:

From what I have read, all top DNC chair candidates explain the election loss as "Talked too much about how bad Trump is and forgot to campaign in all 50 states." and that's it. I think most still want to focus on identity politics with the long term strategy of waiting for the demographics to shift (less white people). Personally, I think that's not only a terrible strategy but also incredibly divisive and bad for the country.

Perez has admitted that Hillary's "not trump" platform, while accurate, is not a winning strategy

And Ellison has come dangerously close to saying democrats should consider courting liberals and youth

Toadvine fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 22, 2017

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

This is so stupid. A word doesnt stop holding meaning because you saw a lot of people on the internet use it. Everyone on the internet talks about cats, do cats not exist anymore?

It's simple: calling everyone a racist or a Nazi dilutes the efficacy of that criticism. This is the moral of the story the boy who cried wolf.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It also has the effect of "Oh I'm a racist already, Ok whatever, then I give 0 fucks"

I don't know about that. I haven't devolved into an unsympathetic mindset just because a misanthrope called me a Soviet Nazi racist

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Minorities get called terrorists, thugs, murderers, and rapists, some of these groups are being called that by our own president. I think white people can handle being called racist. You're pretty thin skinned and have zero perspective on the world if you're upset by this to the point where you want to pretend a word no longer means anything.

Do you think every white person who gets called racist actually is racist? Have you read The Boy Who Cried Wolf?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Kjoery posted:

this post raises so many questions for me

*wasn't hillary a boring as hell centrist who never took a tangible or exciting position on any real issue?
*didnt the democrats lose because they didnt motivate their voterbase? im fairly certain that's the reason.
*if so, becoming even more compromise-y in that election would have made things even worse for the demos

Remaining in the middle and ignoring the supporters to your left is a huge compromise

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

This poo poo is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's kind of a similar situation.

A bunch of lazy people considered that their rights were granted, didn't go to vote, and now wake up with a hangover realizing that you have to constantly fight for what you consider worthy.

Truly a lesson for all of us.

You just took me back to election night and the several group texts I received from friends frantically asking if others and I voted.

Yes, but not for Hillary or Trump :drac:

• Locked thread