Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i should quit my journo job and become a plumber or electrician. people always need those and they probably won't get automated.

of course everyone is hosed when the economy collapses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Ugh god yes, what the gently caress are you even thinking

i wasn't thinking. i was drunk all through high school and college and then after college and right up to last night. also this morning.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

runupon cracker posted:

Every instance of "won't get automated" should be replaced with "will get automated later than most other jobs." Eventually every job doable by a human will be doable by a machine, unless we blow ourselves up before we reach that point. I'm sure that a number of years ago that you could still count on your fingers, 99%+ of people thought that a journalism job could never be automated, and yet, here we are. It simply does not make sense to look at any job and say "a machine could never do this!" And I say this as a programmer who thinks the famous "Programming Sucks" piece is an accurate description of how broken software development is, as a whole. All it takes is breaking down tasks into small enough chunks, and then building systems to handle those chunks. Given enough time and capital, it will happen with everything.

Sure, there will always be people who will resist consuming products or services produced by machines. There are people today who won't buy factory bread because they prefer "artisanal" bread made by humans (these people are almost always gigantic douchebags, I'd like to point out). But as long as 95% of humans don't care that their blowjob is being performed by a machine that just looks and feels like a big-tittied woman, that still spells doom for any kind of economy where the majority of people need to actually be working.

Also keep in mind that you're not the first person to think of the trades. You're not the millionth person either. Not everybody can be a plumber. There will eventually be a glut of plumbers, in which case you'll need to be the best goddamn plumber around to get any work. This is pretty much the same thing that's happened in software dev, which is why programmers are a dime a dozen, but only a small percentage of them know what recursion is and how to do it properly. But, as you say, even if you do gain the skills to suck poo poo better than every other poo poo sucker around, the capitalist economy will collapse long before plumbing becomes the next thing on the automation chopping block.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that we're all hosed and LOL at Trump being President.

thnk you for confirming that we are hosed

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:hfive:

my liver hurts

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Why is everyone sitting around worrying about robots taking the jobs you don't even have

at this point ive moved on to worrying about getting in a good post apocalyptic cannibal gang.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.9cfd70a9f6fd

This interview in the Washington Post (by some miracle) says automation has nothing to do with it and it's all due to globalization

you found one source who says that, but everything else says different. most of the manufacturing jobs have gone to robots, not outsourcing. even outsourced jobs are now getting automated. humans dont make your iphone anymore

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Smeed posted:

It's almost like when one job disappears it motivates people to find other ways to offer value to the economy. Huh so weird what a novel concept.

what we are saying is the rules are changing. that new job people move to will also quickly be automated

you can even automate programming and IT work. you can automate automation

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

sorry there's no future for you grandpa. The world belongs to nerds now :spergin:

lol its true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Of course automation and robots are taking jobs but a lot of people seem to think this somehow negates the effect of globalization and use it to justify off shoring factories

i think people are worried because trump hasn't mentioned automation even once. not even a tweet. and since it's actually the thing that has taken the majority of manufacturing jobs that makes people feel like he doesnt have the right priorities

you know that plant he "saved" in indiana? those jobs arent going to mexico but recently they announced they are automating a lot of them. so yay american robots got jobs

• Locked thread