Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I haven't caught up yet on the later episodes, but I'm liking the aspect of Baggins human superpower is kind of a low level epitome of "Humanity gently caress Yeah!" and I'm excited if that keeps going on.

And Humans are technically just smarter animals so I can forgive the Kemono's not recognizing a human as a human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I got caught up, show is good.

I joked during a SA simuwatch stream thing that the show's animation makes early RWBY look good but it's a good point that the show has a really solid aesthetic design and in game design, aesthetics > graphical fidelity; but the fight scene between Lion and Moose was pretty decent, and I felt sold on the animations in the recent episodes.

I kinda wish that Bag-chan had some skill in kendo beyond flailing, but I guess being essentially Zhuge Liang incarnate in comparison to the Friends is fine.

I got really confused with the Tsuchinoko girl as googling told me "Wait this is only a folklore creature?" are we going to see Dinosaurs, Dragons and Yokai too? :D

The fanart with the Friends being presumably intelligent talking animals instead of being Animal Girls reminds me of the Jungle Book.

Serval is oddly dedicated in retrospect now in her desire to help Bag-chan, as all the other Friends just seemed to stay in their habitat and let Bag-chan go her merry way. I get the sense that "animal instincts" play a role in this but the Alpaca starting a cafe and the Bunny rabbit and the other Friend presumably chasing after Bag-chan I think makes it clear that this isn't the whole story.

I wonder if we'll see a golden retriever Friend to join the party. I feel like "Man's Best Friend" is a bit of an omission.

The alpaca actually spitting was amazing; and I was kinda shocked when I suddenly heard English being spoken from "Big Sis Lauren". Is this actually a kids show in Japan? I'm curious about the "Big brother/Sister X" during those segments.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I don't get why this show has taken off like it has, but it's fun enough, and I'm always glad for things that produce gobs of fanart. 5 episodes in, my favorite Friends are Toki for her singing, Serval for her surprising dedication and positive attitude, and Jaguar for being such a helpful swimming kitty.

It's kind of like a JRPG in anime form in the way that every episode has a Bioshock/SystemShockesque side quest distracting them from the main quest.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Literally The Wizard of Oz, meets The Jungle Book meets The Magic School Bus.

cathead posted:

That was a great episode. The owls were cute and funny even though they were kinda jerks.

Also if you pay close attention, when the owls mention humans going extinct, the highlights in Bag-chan's eyes start to fade. As we've seen, Friends who were extinct do not have highlights in their eyes at all. :aaa:

:aaa:

Those owls were the closest thing we've had so far to being antagonists and it feels great.

e: What if Bag-chan is a cloned human ala Jurassik Park?

What if Humans are the Dinosaurs that break out and eat the animals!?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 22, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Was Serval not so subtly threatening Bag-chan here!? :aaa:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Futaba Anzu posted:

i like how the models look okay and decently rendered in the nexon pv so the lovely rendering in the anime is probably intentional
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8-2-XpA_nk

The models look better here but they risk being too good for the rest of the shows aesthetic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

:perfect:

cathead posted:

From what I heard, the game and anime started production at the same time, it just took much longer for the anime to get put together, probably because of the small team and all of the meticulous planning and design that's clearly gone into the show. The director mentioned on twitter (when talking about his surprise at his popularity) that he had been pretty much working on it for the past 500 days and hadn't had time to notice that it had taken off.

I hope this keeps the franchise going. :shobon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like how the penguin VA's sound like real people.

The animation of the Margay adjusting her glasses is nice.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You win this round Globalism.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's an honest to god mystery here and I wanna know what happens, drat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mordaedil posted:

Gosh, it's almost like they didn't actually expect this show to work at all or something.

Like in a Spring time for Hitler kind of way?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I mean imaginary some hypothetical higher layer of needs for Maslow's pyramid of needs might be overdoing it but in general I can't object to any of this.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Is this based on some cat folk tail or something?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

el dorito posted:

the last episode with the red fox featured ... a french canadian zookeeper?

I took french a long time ago and I had a horrible time trying to pick out her words because of the audio quality

it's still fun though

and I wonder if the inevitable english dub will redo those sections in english with a studio-quality recording so they can more easily pawn this off as "edutainment"

Yup, I had to look up the zoo as a Quebec Montrealer I didn't know that part of Quebec was populated at all!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Ahahahaha the wolf was literally crying wolf! :D

e: Bag's gag of "Please don't eat me!" cycles in and out for being funny for me; but I think I've settled on it being comforting.

e2: Hahaha Serval's been eating the food.

Just me or do different episodes have a different sort of story structure to them?

"You were expecting a ghost but it was ME BAG-CHAN!"

e: Okay now I'm sad now.

I feel like Kemono Friends gets the overall mystery writing correct, like this is how you write a story that takes place after some other event has already happened.

And DANGIT now I notice "Welcome to Yokoso Jappari Park" each time now. :mad:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 15, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not sure if we're supposed to think as Bag's name as Bag or as Kaban because it's a Japanese show or if it is supposed to come across as a silly name that means "Bag" and people in this thread are confusing me. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well this show has gotten me emotional; they didn't quite nail "Shadows of the Colossus" in terms of animation quality until the end for some bizarre reason. The giant thing hitting Serval and stepping on Baggy I feel like I felt that.

There Bias Two posted:

This show is so creepy if you know where to look...

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mordaedil posted:

When I started this I thought it was for kids. Now I'm emotionally upset.

Goddammit Gen.

I checked as I got scared but Gen Urubutchi doesn't have any involvement as far as I can tell?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

When I go to save this to my Jappari park folder:

Why.

AnacondaHL posted:

I had a stray thought that Sandstar was a metaphor for nuclear radiation, like if there was an abandoned amusement park near Fukushima or something (there is), then got to wondering about the pictures in the ending, and a few google clicks later it seems some of the locations have been found:

Six Flags, New Orleans, Louisiana

=

and

=

Boblo Island Amusement Park, Bois Blanc Island, Ontario

=

Pripyat amusement park, Pripyat, Chernobyl Exclusion Zone

=

Jesus Christ, this hole just keeps getting deeper.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MrLonghair posted:

It was a joke, but not a long stretch.

You gotta be careful with that man! Uttering Gen Urubuchi's name is like swinging around a loaded gun where the bullets are despair that kills your hopes and dreams! And that's the happy ending!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MrLonghair posted:

https://twitter.com/ponjiyuusu/status/845266732264505345

I'd buy the BRs at Japanese prices if this happened

Time travel plot?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnacondaHL posted:

Sometimes if you want something done, you gotta do it yourself.

Japari Park (1993) - The Attack

The ending cut to the credits wow.

Hate-Senpai posted:

I've heard that the BRs for Kemono Friends are actually cheaper than standard, and come with a 40 page book, compared to the 8 ~ 16 pages other anime BRs usually come with.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2052121

If you look here, it's 3500 yen, which is almost half the price of general BRs, which are around 6000 to 7000 yen.

I like this that they're making every effort.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

cathead posted:

-Clothes can come off if the Friends consciously wish to do so, otherwise it remains more of an animal-like function? Kinda odd but might explain why they didn't think about it until Kaban pointed it out.

This is because they really wanted the joke about not realizing they can get naked but then having to explain the fridge logic of how do they avoid pooping their pants which probably occurred to them right afterwards. :D

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh god what if this show is the moe version of Westworld?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Denim Avenger posted:

When I went camping the conventional wisdom was while most animals won't go near a campfire, bears were the exception. They will happily go into your camp to get at improperly secured food under any circumstance, which is why you need to take pains storing food while camping. So Bear not being afraid of fire at all is the same as Beaver knowing instinctively how to build thing, an amplification of an animal trait.

Throwing my theory in that Kaban is Friend and not an Amnesiac. Some human remains were hit by Sandstar and she popped up fully formed, with knowledge and skills and no history. Her confusion over all of this is because she is Human and what trait is more Human than asking who am I and what does it mean to be Human?

You are a Friend who is good at being really good at literary analysis!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Guys I think this show is a Friend that's very good at making other people feel good.

The "Please don't eat me!"/"I won't/wouldn't eat you!" gag really pays off this ep. This show really turned out to be quite sublime and oh my, the clothes slowly regenerating after the fact I completely missed; I wonder what it means, is Baggy still a "Human-Friend"?.

Reading TV Tropes something else that happens that I find funny now is that in the first and last episodes after initially parting ways with Bag Serval immediately follows along afterwards.

How much of the entire population of the island being female is either a reference to Jurassic Park or didn't cross their minds at all?

I'll watch season 2.

And oh my gosh whatever animal that was at the end, this show likes surprisingly you in unexpected ways :3: I hope it becomes a Friend again!

Still miss no Dinosaur or Dragon friends.

e: Oh my god it Meows like a cat.

e2: Damnit Lady! "They're not meant to be pets" after I was thinking it.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 29, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I had literally this exact same thought.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ZeroCount posted:

This show has a lot of genuine heart and it has some of the best unspoken backstory/worldbuilding stuff I've seen for a good while. Unfortunately it's also a really loving hard sell to convince someone else to watch it.

Added to this is that the show exceeded expectations. The first ep has some of the most Jankier animation quality so how well everything meshes together isn't apparent until you're already 6 episodes in and addicted.

That is legit terrifying in this style.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They're like the Japan versions of Monty Oum.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The only thing about the voice acting that consistently seemed strange is Serval ALWAYS YELLING HOW INTERESTING EVERYTHING IS.

Those are some really detailed leg muscles in that pixel art.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

cathead posted:

The gang's all here. See if you can find your favorite Friend!

Hilariously easier than Where's Waldo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnoHito posted:

Naked Snake would be ashamed of me, for I cannot find the tsuchinoko.

Middle top ish, she's crawling on the ground picking up something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Holy poo poo, that's smashing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Penguins make me come perilously close to thinking that god may exist and is benevolent.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

I was going to bring up Australia, home to all manner of fauna that could kill you but then I pulled up this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_penguin

ITS LIKE A CAT, BUT BLUE with flippers...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

There's one penguin that's like, pointing at the cutout and his body language is like "But what about her!?"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tank-chan... Isn't that "Tanky"? I think she has the wrong vehicle for that! :D

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Plutonis posted:

Any fellow Tsuchinokos here?

Oh gently caress me. Hi five!!

*Salt, pinch of, I sometimes I INFJ when I take the test at different times depending on mood.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Someone actually make a Kemono Friends RPG prototype in Unity or something? The movement animations are very solid, though the skirt physics need fixing. I think however Fromsoft does capes might be a good solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I like how it has Bag-chan sitting politely.

PerrineClostermann posted:

My friend drew a thing

Is this a reference?