Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

GotLag posted:

I don't understand shoebill's popularity, she's the least interesting character in every way.

Shoebills were already kind of a meme in Japan to begin with. Her appearance in KF just catapulted that to even greater heights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/ckik195/status/865826569243066368

Hululu's VA finally got to meet Grape-kun up close. :allears:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I ship this :v:

Pollyanna posted:

I've never seen this show but I'm apparently between the ibis and the beaver.

You should watch it, it's quite good.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Eromame is great, I loved their Splatoon stuff and I'm glad to see they've gotten into Kemofure as well.

In other news, the OST and Japari Cafe album are out! The version of the OP with Kaban is very cute.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

In case people didn't see it in the season thread, season 2 is on the way eventually:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/889162392810029056

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Prolly just a cash grab in the style of the mobile game. Season 1 is not something you can replicate.

Pretty sure Tatsuki and co. are still going to be involved so there's no way it's going to be a cash grab. He said back in S1 he wanted to do more with the world and was already thinking of where to go in the future if they could. He genuinely loves working on it. He's always worked with 3D as well so there's not going to be a sudden shift to 2D or anything unless they completely replace the staff, which would be a monumentally stupid decision considering in the viewer survey they did during S1 one of the top requests was "please keep the same staff".

There are plenty of other places to explore and Friends to meet, we've still got plenty of unanswered questions about Mirai and the rest of humanity, it's not like there isn't anything to work with.

I guess what I'm saying is, believe in Tatsuki. He delivered us a great ending to S1 and I'm confident he can give us an equally sugoi and tanoshii adventure in S2.

cathead fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 25, 2017

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Kemono Friends is about to air in it's entirety on Twitch's anime marathon:

https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents

Starting at 5:30am EST, so in about 5 mins or so!

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

An anon on 4chan drew a bin chicken:

Other versions: http://imgur.com/a/r6yF1

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the game wasn't meant to promote the anime. It was basically a multimedia thing and the mobagame just went out and died first before the anime even started airing.

This is correct, it was more of a multimedia project based of Mine Yoshizaki's setting and character designs. The anime and game actually both started production around the same time, it just took the anime a lot longer to come together and by then the game was already on its way out.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

This is absolutely fantastic.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

leather fedora posted:

Also it's now Tatsuki's birthday.

That makes this even worse. :(

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Apparently Japan Racing Association and Nissin both released statements on their respective sites saying that they had given full permission for the collaborations that were done, which kind of contradicts what Kadokawa claimed.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/913062173970182145

It's a long tweet-chain, but someone translated a writeup some jp fans have done about how what Kadokawa is saying is true isn't adding up at all. Some interesting stuff in there.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Kakegurui is pretty good though? :confused:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Zeruel posted:

I can't say I've heard of those anime. I only watch good stuff like Kemono Friends.

You should at least watch Shirobako, it's quite good and sort of educational!

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Aurora posted:

is this real

Not quite. That's a photoshop as was mentioned earlier, but Yoshizaki Mine did draw that pic especially for the Grape-kun memorial.

More pics of the memorial in this tweet: https://twitter.com/michsuzu/status/919111645569236992

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/kiofwjjpTyq08Cz/status/920663213062070273

S...sugoi...

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I'd still give an S2 a chance. If they can get some people who at least have some appreciation for the original they can probably do a decent job. Not like the VAs are going anywhere either.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Oh poo poo, it's happening!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-31/kemono-friends-director-tatsuki-reveals-hentatsu-anime-with-video/.127169

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

sockpuppetclock posted:

The dialogue in that video is way too meta to be whatever Yaoyorozu is making next. it's more likely just a hobby short like the station master videos.

Tatsuki has worked on meta anime before so I wouldn't be surprised. Also I think back at Winter Comiket he announced he was starting a new TV Anime project so I think people are just assuming this might be it.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Looks like the new TV Anime project is going to be a remake/adaptation of Kemurikusa.

https://twitter.com/irodori7/status/962629863827017728

Also apparently there's a second project in the works they're not ready to reveal yet.

cathead fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 12, 2018

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Kemono Friends Countdown Site Launches

:thunk:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Looks like it was a GEEMU DA YO

I guess this is different from Pavilion though, sounds like it's more like the original game was?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I mean this doesn't tell us much other than they're keeping the 3D art style. At least from this tiny trailer I agree it doesn't have the same charm as Tatsuki's work so far, but it also doesn't seem bad, so the other important parts are if the voice cast is coming back and they find someone who can direct/write as well as Tatsuki/Yaoyorozu could. I still think there's the possibility for it to be enjoyable.

I'm definitely withholding judgement until we see more. I also want to find out who's actually doing the work on the season. If it's another independent company or at least a known studio and not some internal Kadokawa poo poo, I'm not sure that it's fair to judge them for Kadokawa's fuckup. Especially considering what they have to try and live up to. This goes for the voice cast as well, they contributed just as much to making the show so wonderful so if they're sticking around I really don't think their hard work should be dismissed.

We'll see what happens, I guess. :shrug:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lurking Haro posted:

The audition script is the stolen script. It was available for download to anyone.
The audition also only started today, first requiring video applications.

-e-
That's the original author whose script they stole
https://twitter.com/withteacher_a/status/1036263394687385600?s=19

The script is pictured in the Twitter thread.
It's not related to Kemono Friends in content.

Ok like, I ran this poo poo through google translate since I didn't have time to parse through everything, but this just seems like basic VA exercises looking at that page that's linked in the tweet?

Are they claiming that the initial auditions pulled from basic VA stuff and that's somehow evidence that everything is hosed? It more seemed like the kind of thing where you'd get some canned programming problems in an interview for a development position. I don't know how this poo poo works though so I'd welcome some further insight besides a single twitter poster.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Lurking Haro posted:

It's plain old plagiarism. They didn't ask the author for permission.

Yeah I did some further looking at it, you're right. Welp. :(

Super Jay Mann posted:

Tatsuki has a new show coming out in a couple months, just go watch that instead.

I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be way better than whatever mess this turns out to be.

Is he actually doing another full series? I know he's had a couple things in the works.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yep, airing in January

http://kemurikusa.com/

Based on a short they did in 2012, so not far away at all.

Ah, I remember hearing about this but I didn't know it was actually going to be a full series. I'm looking forward to it!

Agronox posted:

The trailer on youtube is currently sitting at 3,300 likes, and 21,000 dislikes.
I'm still sort of conflicted about this stuff because even apart from Tatsuki's awesome work I still really dig the characters and style and voice work of KF in general. It's hard for me to go "YEAH gently caress THIS FRANCHISE!". :smith:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Hey, Kadokawa?

I'm trying real hard here to still be excited and have some faith for the future of the franchise despite your dumbass decisions in the first place, can you PLEASE stop taking a gigantic poo poo all over that?

Like come on, this is getting ridiculous. :colbert:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/1056745358221467648

Aikatsu director... :thunk:

Well, it's worth a shot I guess

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Having watched the PV, that was about what I expected. I think if the writing is still decent and they continue to explore more new friends while maybe revisiting some old ones it might still be cute/fun. Either way Tatsuki's new series (Kemurikasa) is airing the same season so if KF2 sucks we still have that at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Well, it was about what I expected, which is to say passable. It at least didn't make me want to give up immediately in anger. :v:

I think this whole thing would have been so much better without the bad taste of Kadokawa's stupid decisions. It colors all of the callbacks as well the idea of the story they appear to be going for. If the Kadokawa/Tatsuki split had been for amicable reasons I think this would have been a much easier change to deal with.

On the other hand though, as I've said before I don't really want to hold the the staff and VAs accountable for the past screw-ups of Kadokawa. They've been put in charge of what is a considerable uphill battle and living up to a lightning-in-a-bottle scenario, and I think they still deserve respect for the effort they put in. Like I could make jokes about NOT MY SERVAL, #NoTatsukiNoTanoshii or whatnot but I think at this point what's done is done and the best I can do is try and judge the new staff on the merits of what they're able to produce rather than what they aren't.

Anyway, while I'm extremely wary of the overall story/setting they seem to be setting up, I thought the rest of the ep was actually pretty in line with the usual KF fun. Indian Spot-Billed Duck got a couple of laughs out of me (little details like the squeaks when she jumps were great) as well as when Armadillo and Pangolin curled up on the ground when they heard the roar. That sort of stuff is part of what I've come to love about the franchse and I'm glad they seem to still have a handle on it. If anything I'm still looking forward to meeting some new Friends, and having Caracal around does seem to serve as a good balance for Serval's antics.

I'm definitely gonna miss the charm of Tatsuki and Yaoyorozu's style, and while this feels like it's mostly lacking that charm of the original, I think it's still serviceable enough thanks to the strength of Mine's designs. Also we at least have Kemurikusa in the same season. :v:

The VAs nail it as usual and it sounds like pretty much everyone's back, and the new Friends are pretty well acted. If there's anything that's keeping me around it's definitely them. Guess we'll see where we go from here!