Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I don't have a ton of time to play, so I'm slowly working my way through the starter missions and team epics. Last night I got to use a SP in a game that I need to use for a quest, so I was really excited. That was until he took a line drive off the face in the second inning and had to be removed. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't particularly hunk injuries should be in DD.

Your pitcher you need for an epic finally got selected but his arm exploded after one curveball! Better use your bullpen!

butlerson
Feb 12, 2011
Now I'm sure I could be missing something due to being :britain: but does this normally happen in a real baseball game? (Around the 1:20 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0trdnLdnAc

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

by no means would that be normal. It has actually happened though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vlemZpFOwM

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Well, finished my diamond mission starter, open the pack and who do I get?

Breakout Eric Karros.

Have to be honest, was hoping for really, just about anything else

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it doesn't happen as much in the pros, but man in AA ball any pitch in the dirt basically results in the runners advancing and it's driving me insane. I just had a ball in the dirt get missed by the catcher and the 55 speed guy on 2nd takes off and makes it despite the ball being literally right in front of the catcher.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Just finishing it downloading now--was wondering if stealing is as easy to cheese as in past versions where you basically double tap R2 and hold it to get a perfect jump each time

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, yes the 'wild pitches' continue to suck at the MLB level. Nothing like a 30 speed pitcher taking 2nd on a ball that bounces a few inches in front of the catcher after crossing the plate which the catcher blocks and the ball never gets in front of the plate or outside of the batters box.

Like seriously, I'm talking about balls that don't move more than about a foot from the catcher. But still everyone and their mother will take the next base. I thought I made a few video clips last night while playing but I can't find them, so I'll have to try again the next time I play.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Also, yes the 'wild pitches' continue to suck at the MLB level. Nothing like a 30 speed pitcher taking 2nd on a ball that bounces a few inches in front of the catcher after crossing the plate which the catcher blocks and the ball never gets in front of the plate or outside of the batters box.

Like seriously, I'm talking about balls that don't move more than about a foot from the catcher. But still everyone and their mother will take the next base. I thought I made a few video clips last night while playing but I can't find them, so I'll have to try again the next time I play.

I found the videos and uploaded them. All of these runners have ~50 speed iirc. The runner in the 2nd video might be faster, but thought the 75 speed guy was in a video I didn't upload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2DnuYg-Psw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHYtZ9Ci39w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0tQHORUzio

These are bullshit wild pitches. I don't think anyone but the fastest people would even attempt to move on these pitches in real life.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

http://theshownation.com/forums/10017-bug-reports

Report those. They're pretty good about responding and the bug seems fixable if they make the catcher stay on their knees and pick up/throw.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Here's a fun little easter egg.

The charge level of your "phone" in your social media feed in RTTS is the same as the charge level on your controller.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Less annoying (and actually beneficial to the player I guess) I've noticed in RTTS that I get credit for 'advancing the runner' if I hit a pop up or fly ball high enough with two outs that the guy on first ends up touching third before the out is made. Also I've gotten credit for stolen bases if I was running when my guy makes it to second before the out is recorded in certain situations.

On the other side of things there should be some benefit for taking the extra base on a single if the throw goes to 3rd or home. Like just the reaching scoring position thing should apply I would think.

Not a big deal at all compared to the catchers just not being able to deal with pitches in the dirt, just a couple of things I've noticed that don't make sense.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Is the playlist still like seven songs long and terrible?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DrNutt posted:

Is the playlist still like seven songs long and terrible?

Yes but it's easy enough to load up a flash drive with .mp3's and import your own stuff. You can also go into the jukebox and turn off all the default tracks.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sydin posted:

Yes but it's easy enough to load up a flash drive with .mp3's and import your own stuff. You can also go into the jukebox and turn off all the default tracks.

Cool cool, I just saw that was actually added in 16 so that's nifty.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What a drag. You can't use imported music for stadium stuff like walk ups and home runs. I was really looking forward to walking up to Bad and Boujee.

What is it from devs in 2017 not able to implement cool stuff from the most perfect sports game ever made aka ESPN Football 2K5? I mean it's over ten years later and with all the obsessive nitty gritty poo poo you can do in the game for customization it feels like a massive oversight.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 26, 2017

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

DrNutt posted:

What a drag. You can't use imported music for stadium stuff like walk ups and home runs. I was really looking forward to walking up to Bad and Boujee.

What is it from devs in 2017 not able to implement cool stuff from the most perfect sports game ever made aka ESPN Football 2K5? I mean it's over ten years later and with all the obsessive nitty gritty poo poo you can do in the game for customization it feels like a massive oversight.

you can actually. make sure you've added the song to in game music cues, and then you can go to the music editor for markers

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheFlyingLlama posted:

you can actually. make sure you've added the song to in game music cues, and then you can go to the music editor for markers

Whaaaaaa? This changes everything. namaste gentle goon

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Called up as a 3b in August of the first year by the Marlins. Somehow they carry 5 catchers and no other position players so I play every game. Well I did until I got benched for getting thrown out stealing too much. Since there were no other 3b I ended up getting put back in the bottom of the first every game. Tough love.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My pitcher has now been traded twice. I was drafted by the Rays, traded to the A's in late June, then traded to the White Sox in late July. I assume this all happens randomly.

In other news, the pitching sliders went from Hall of Fame to Legendary, and I went from being Kershaw in AAA to whoever it is that the Reds throw out on the mound.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Twin Cinema posted:

My pitcher has now been traded twice. I was drafted by the Rays, traded to the A's in late June, then traded to the White Sox in late July. I assume this all happens randomly.

In other news, the pitching sliders went from Hall of Fame to Legendary, and I went from being Kershaw in AAA to whoever it is that the Reds throw out on the mound.

Yeah I think being traded is just random and based on team needs. It happens.

You should eventually get used to the sliders.

I use the dynamic sliders for my RTTS starting pitcher who is in his second full year and in the Twins starting lineup. I bounce between Legendary/Legendary+ and I usually get 5-6IP (I usually think I get pulled too early) with usually between 4-8 Ks, a few hits and a run or two. Occasionally, there's the bad game where everything blows up.

edit - Also, I love my current pitch selection of 98mph 4-seamer, 81mph screwball, 88mph splitter and 79mph sweeping curve. It's just brutal on everyone. The fastball keeps people jumpy, the splitter works as a good change of speed and you've got a breaking ball that moves towards each side of the plate.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 29, 2017

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
My RTTS abomination/pitcher got called up, but I didn't save my game so now he's still in AAA. What the hell is a Vulcan change anyway?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

JPrime posted:

My RTTS abomination/pitcher got called up, but I didn't save my game so now he's still in AAA. What the hell is a Vulcan change anyway?

changeup, but instead of using the pointer and middle finger you use the middle finger and the ring finger, so it kinda looks like a vulcan salute

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Fun fact the assumed inventor of the Vulcan change, Joe Nelson explained the name by saying something to the effect of "it was either going to be the Vulcan or the Nanu Nanu and Spock is cooler than Mork"

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
If you create an all 99 speed lineup I hate you and your entire family.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Uh, is there no way to speed up the Risk board game mode? It takes a full minute+ of watching the AI play its moves every single turn, even if you pass yours.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

Saint Freak posted:

Uh, is there no way to speed up the Risk board game mode? It takes a full minute+ of watching the AI play its moves every single turn, even if you pass yours.

Mash Square when the AI is doing its moves

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

Mash Square when the AI is doing its moves

I'll try it tonight. I just thought it would be an easy mission & trophy but it's probably too slow/simple for me to care about.

Also

The Show posted:

We take pride in developing and delivering an excellent gaming experience every year for our fans. This year is no different. Unfortunately, we're less than happy with unexpected server issues that have accompanied the launch of MLB The Show 17 and know you are too-for this we apologize.

We've been working without pause to address a number of server and gameplay issues to restore the online experience we had hoped to achieve at launch. Some of these changes have been made visible to our community in the form of patches and in-game messages, while other upgrades haven't been publicized, in the form of back end server updates.

We're pleased to report that these updates have made great strides to address the main issues related to online gameplay and have led to an improved gameplay experience for our fans.

As a token of apology, as well as a thank you to our dedicated community for helping us identify these issues and for your patience as we've worked to address them, we are extending a make-good to anyone who meets the criteria outlined below:

Every PSN ID that played The Show 17 between 3/28 at 12:01 am PT and 5/11 at 1:00 pm PT will receive 10 Standard Packs and 11,000 Stubs, automatically added to their account. Please note that the make-good will be deployed into all effected users account within a week.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol I won the NL ROTY Award as a SP with the Giants, then the next year they signed me to be a reliever :confused:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

TMMadman posted:

Yeah I think being traded is just random and based on team needs. It happens.

You should eventually get used to the sliders.

I use the dynamic sliders for my RTTS starting pitcher who is in his second full year and in the Twins starting lineup. I bounce between Legendary/Legendary+ and I usually get 5-6IP (I usually think I get pulled too early) with usually between 4-8 Ks, a few hits and a run or two. Occasionally, there's the bad game where everything blows up.

edit - Also, I love my current pitch selection of 98mph 4-seamer, 81mph screwball, 88mph splitter and 79mph sweeping curve. It's just brutal on everyone. The fastball keeps people jumpy, the splitter works as a good change of speed and you've got a breaking ball that moves towards each side of the plate.

I have noticed that the managers have a quicker hook than they did in the last Show I played, which was 12.

I pitched well in Double-A and Triple-A in my first year, then the White Sox sent me back to Double-A at the start of my second, and now I can't seem to have a good game. My ERA is hovering around 7, and the difficulty slider just keeps decreasing. As far as I know, I am not doing anything differently.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

so we're onto our 3rd event of the season, and I'm thinking that they were a cool idea, but I'm not really all that happy with the execution. I think over the course of all three events I've had one game that wasn't a total stomp one way or the other

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Finished my first full MLB season as my Reds sinkerballer, and after a rough start managed to win RotY and Cy Young and pace the circuit in ERA & WHIP. Pitched the Reds through the wildcard with a CGSHO, although they then got swept in the DS and I was never started because I guess they didn't model in that a team would probably start their ace on short rest if they're facing post season elimination.

Anyway, after a runaway success of a rookie season, the manager calls me into his office on the first day of Spring Training and is all "So we're thinking about possibly turning you into a reliever. Thoughts?"

:shepface: The new story elements are cool but rtts definitely needs more polish.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Finished my first full MLB season as my Reds sinkerballer, and after a rough start managed to win RotY and Cy Young and pace the circuit in ERA & WHIP. Pitched the Reds through the wildcard with a CGSHO, although they then got swept in the DS and I was never started because I guess they didn't model in that a team would probably start their ace on short rest if they're facing post season elimination.

Anyway, after a runaway success of a rookie season, the manager calls me into his office on the first day of Spring Training and is all "So we're thinking about possibly turning you into a reliever. Thoughts?"

:shepface: The new story elements are cool but rtts definitely needs more polish.

Accurate simulation of Cincinnati sports team decision making imho.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
~~*the amir garrett experience*~~

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a huge problem with getting good contact on pitches nibbling the corner and edges particularly in DD. I was doing a ranked game against a guy using James Paxton and he was nailing the absolute edge of the corner and there was nothing I could do about it. If I took them they always got called strikes.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm having a huge problem with getting good contact on pitches nibbling the corner and edges particularly in DD. I was doing a ranked game against a guy using James Paxton and he was nailing the absolute edge of the corner and there was nothing I could do about it. If I took them they always got called strikes.

I loving hate james paxton. Even though his offspeed stuff is like 89 I can never time it.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the only Diamond Dynasty vs CPU mode the take over the US thing? 3 innings seems perfect for a quick game. Have no interest in playing online but seems like to get all the good rewards you have to play the other modes. Seems like other sports games with these kind of modes have a few rewards behind that wall, but the show has most of them.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 27, 2017

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

KDdidit posted:

Is the only Diamond Dynasty vs CPU mode the take over the US thing. 3 innings seems perfect for a quick game. Have no interest in playing online but seems like to get all the good rewards you have to play the other modes. Seems like other sports games with these kind of modes have a few rewards behind that wall, but the show has most of them.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but there are some pretty decent rewards for finishing conquest. 10 pack bundle for completing it, every time you complete it. After the first time you complete it you unlock like, 8ish missions that give you most of a gold infield, a diamond OF and 2 diamond pitchers.

If you mean specifically building teams without playing any of the online only modes like BR, events or online seasons, you can still build a good team, you're just going to need to be luckier with opening packs.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, forgot the question mark. Yeah, all the mission rewards seemed to have some online component to complete them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but there are some pretty decent rewards for finishing conquest. 10 pack bundle for completing it, every time you complete it.

oh my god they actually fixed this??? I need this game to drop to like $25-30 already so I can buy it

• Locked thread