Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Didn't think about that. How about a cascade of pleasing cool colors?

Coulda change the pink text to something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wheel of palettes spin spin spin
which eyesearing combo will we win

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I would have missed this if I wasn't sent the link, you haven't advertised it in the New LP Thread Thread!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

I find it amazing how even the most detailed and feature-complete Pokemon fangame still manages to miss the mark so horribly.

Looking forward to this. :allears:

Moreso most high profile one. There are a fair few romhacks that are pretty extensive, some of them actually being fairly good. I've not had a chance to really get into it but the recently DMCA'd then leaked romhack Pokemon Prism seems neat.

Gridlocked posted:

I really love how the guy who made this thought adding NUCLEAR would be this cool edgy thing.

I bet he adds split evoultion paths for some pokemans where they MUTATE too

It might just be the Fallout fan in me but I think having Nuclear as a type is pretty cool, at least in concept. I don't imagine the game will actually handle it well at all, from what I've heard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SSNeoman posted:

Coulda change the pink text to something else?

Maybe I could go with a move we won't actually see in the course of gameplay.

Also spcl or spec as a contraction of special? And what would I do for status-category moves? Stat?

AlphaKretin posted:

I would have missed this if I wasn't sent the link, you haven't advertised it in the New LP Thread Thread!

I know it's weird for a thread that's nearly two years old but I forgot that's a thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wow that move seems like bullshit.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I survived watching all of tie's playthrough, and can confirm that this game is absolute trash

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I will only forever know the original pokemon in this as the names Tie has given them. May the Frickers be kind.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Oh, wonderful, an LP of a questionable, but shockingly thorough, Pokemon romhack! I had a great time reading the Pokemon Quartz LP in the archives, I look forward to the horrors that await us in this one.

Also, what is it about these romhacks that the "creator's self-insert professor" character always looks like a skeevy neckbeard? Between Baro and this joker, I'm noticing a pattern. You'd think at some point, somebody would have pointed it out, assuming more than one person worked on Uranium.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Holy loving christ. One move on a pokemon!? And CONTRARY of all things. I know Contrary Serperior exists (AKA: Spam Substitute and then spam Leaf Storm until either A: you win or B: Die) but...come on. That's just mean and completely wrong. Looking forward to seeing how bad this poo poo goes.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well, I mean, something that had Flash Fire or Heatproof as an ability would be an auto-win in that situation. Or, I don't know... Kingdra I guess? Gonna take a shot in the dark here and assume neither of those is available at the time you fight that... whatever it is.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
This looks promising. I'm eager to see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So do the kind of people who make these games only expect them to be played by people like themselves and OFS? Throwing busted garbage at the player to punish them for not being omniscient or doing exhaustive trial and error research seems to be a thing with a lot of fangame makers.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

marshmallow creep posted:

So do the kind of people who make these games only expect them to be played by people like themselves and OFS? Throwing busted garbage at the player to punish them for not being omniscient or doing exhaustive trial and error research seems to be a thing with a lot of fangame makers.

It's lack of thorough testing. As the creator(s) you are your own worst tester(s) because you know everything ahead of time and have formed an insular ideology around the project. That's why getting outside testers is absolutely crucial when it comes to releasing a game. But for fangames that's often too hard or your testers are your most rabid fans meaning they're probably just as bad a pick as you are or are just asking to test because it means they get to play the game a little sooner than others.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

marshmallow creep posted:

This is a common problem in romhacks (or in this case, a fangame) that aim to raise the difficulty. Typically, they're made by people who are really dedicated to the original game, and thus have a tendency to know all the game mechanics inside-out. Since you're gonna create the game you want to play, this means hackers have a natural tendency to build the game on the assumption that the player knows the game inside-out too.

Even if the game advertises itself as such, there's still a lot of work that needs to be put in to make it a well-designed game. Just the stat screen in the OP alone demonstrates pretty well that this is not a well-designed game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Okay, I haven't heard a ton about this game, so I'm excited to come into this mostly blind.

Rangpur posted:

Well, I mean, something that had Flash Fire or Heatproof as an ability would be an auto-win in that situation. Or, I don't know... Kingdra I guess? Gonna take a shot in the dark here and assume neither of those is available at the time you fight that... whatever it is.

Flash Fire, yes. Heatproof and Kingdra, to an extent? If you start with one, you might be able to win the slugfest, but if you don't, that thing's SpAtt is going to be way too high for anything to live.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I know very little about Pokemon generally but I do love to see a game rendered down into its component atoms. This looks like fun.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Honestly? I'd just stick with black and white. Maybe with a not-too-bright color for the title bars. Something along the lines of this, maybe:

Except, y'know, properly sized and aligned instead of thrown together hastily in Paint :v:

quote:

Also spcl or spec as a contraction of special? And what would I do for status-category moves? Stat?
I like "spec" better as an abbreviation for special. Abbreviating status seems unnecessary, but if you want it to be a consistent four letters then "stat" seems fine.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I learned today that the main character of pokemon ranger 2 apparently has a name.

Interested to see more.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

FPzero posted:

It's lack of thorough testing. As the creator(s) you are your own worst tester(s) because you know everything ahead of time and have formed an insular ideology around the project. That's why getting outside testers is absolutely crucial when it comes to releasing a game. But for fangames that's often too hard or your testers are your most rabid fans meaning they're probably just as bad a pick as you are or are just asking to test because it means they get to play the game a little sooner than others.

This is disgustingly true. Also I will point out, of all the pokemon Fangames I've seen, Sage probably looks the best. That's the 4Chan pokemon Fangame. This is likely because everyone on /vp/ hates themselves and thus, opposite of the typical fan-game issue of no vetting, no one is ever pleased.

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/CAPX_Wiki

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Walrus Pete posted:

Honestly? I'd just stick with black and white. Maybe with a not-too-bright color for the title bars. Something along the lines of this, maybe:

Except, y'know, properly sized and aligned instead of thrown together hastily in Paint :v:

I like this a lot better. Blues are nice but keeping it simple especially in the face of you having many of these for moves is probably the best choice. I also like "phys" "spec" and "stat" best for abbreviations. Or you could try adding the little icons for them from the games.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
post your entire spreadsheet but first save it as a csv and then open it in notepad

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

I like "spec" better as an abbreviation for special. Abbreviating status seems unnecessary, but if you want it to be a consistent four letters then "stat" seems fine.

Yeah this is good. Simple is best and the colour gives it a nice difference

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Onmi posted:

This is disgustingly true. Also I will point out, of all the pokemon Fangames I've seen, Sage probably looks the best. That's the 4Chan pokemon Fangame. This is likely because everyone on /vp/ hates themselves and thus, opposite of the typical fan-game issue of no vetting, no one is ever pleased.

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/CAPX_Wiki

Wow some of these pokemon are actually really cool. Thanks for sharing this.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I know nothing about this and I already hate it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Walrus Pete posted:

this seems good but let me counter that having a physically painful info graph seems in spirit with this game

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

AriadneThread posted:

this seems good but let me counter that having a physically painful info graph seems in spirit with this game

The one thing this game actually does really well is menu design, though it would only work on a pc, so nah

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you couldn't stop playing this game for some reason.

I can't wait to see how dumb and bullshit this game gets.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, I didn't drop this game because of difficulty reasons, never got that far. No, I can't wait to see the shambling corpse that is the XP engine and the magical issues it brings to newer computers.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 16, 2017

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Walrus Pete posted:

No, this won't do. Since this is a terrible fangame made by terrible nerds, there is only one color palette that is appropriate.

Invert the colors and make it a "dark theme". My precious OLED pixelssssss

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kerning Chameleon posted:

No, this won't do. Since this is a terrible fangame made by terrible nerds, there is only one color palette that is appropriate.

Invert the colors and make it a "dark theme". My precious OLED pixelssssss

So what you're saying is adopt Uranium's brooding dark colors and garishly bright greens?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

So what you're saying is adopt Uranium's brooding dark colors and garishly bright greens?

If it's good enough for YOSPOS it's good enough for us.

But seriously, that's very legible.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actually that looks pretty good. Just make sure you spell "poison" right. :eng101:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rangpur posted:

Heatproof only halves Fire damage and is mainly used for covering existing weaknesses. EDIT: I'm a goddamn idiot with no reading comprehension about spoiler policies. Sorry about that.

I find it more than a little appropriate that the region with all the overpowered dollar-store bootlegs is Pokebrazil. Saltybet and its MUGEN Dragon Ball Z characters trained me to expect no different.

Thematically eye-searing without sacrificing readability. Perfect.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 16, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Just like I'm reading it off a Pip Boy in the Nuclear hellscape that is Anthell.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

inthesto posted:

Even if the game advertises itself as such, there's still a lot of work that needs to be put in to make it a well-designed game. Just the stat screen in the OP alone demonstrates pretty well that this is not a well-designed game.
This is a key point. Far too many of these romhacks half-rear end the difficulty increase and end up terribly balanced. "Well, let's just fix Known Bugs A and B, raise boss stats by 20%, and call it a day." Uh, no. That makes the game harder but not necessarily in an interesting way.

All because you're shooting for Harder doesn't mean you throw balance out the window.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

I watched MyNameIsKaz stream this, and he said something that I find completely true:

Theo isn't 'The Rival'

You are.

Theo is the protagonist.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I am curiously watching as a casual Pokemon fan. Maybe we should keep a counter for "good/interesting idea with bad execution" in this.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ramos posted:

Well, I didn't drop this game because of difficulty reasons, never got that far. No, I can't wait to see the shambling corpse that is the XP engine and the magical issues it brings to newer computers.

That reminds me that the actual reason I never got far in this game was that I could not get it to run worth a drat at all. It ran like rear end with both my intel graphics card (which seems odd given how lo-fi the game is) and my NVIDIA one. Good job, Team Uranium.

This is pretty much perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

I agree with this statement entirely.

My entire experience with non-canon Pokémon games is 151 red/blue/yellow hacks because I always play alone so have no friends to trade for all of them : (

• Locked thread