Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Don't forget Dad getting so horribly depressed he abandons you with Grandma. That stood out a lot to me too! Also, remember we've seen approximately 10-15 minutes of this game, so there's a lot to come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also OFS showed off that there's a level 70 boss with Overheat, Contrary, choice scarf and base 181 special attack which is loving insane.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

VagueRant posted:

This all seems incredibly inoffensive so far? Like it's basically just a Pokemon game. But because it's a fangame it's got a few wonky bits (like the tree placement), ugly sprites and it goes for some cheap meme jokes (like virtually every other fangame)?

What standard are we holding this to? Because Red/Blue is apparently super broken if you know how to break it and my memories of Ruby/Sapphire are no worse than what you've shown us of this. Even the weird little watering can thing doesn't seem worse than the entire concept of "tipping" in X/Y.

EDIT: Apparently berries are a lot more important than I ever knew, I guess? I always ignored them.

The main issue with this hack are the bad design choices. Everything else is either kinda subjective or a lack of polish that fangames/ROM hacks are just probably not going to have. If the game played fine, I think it wouldn't be all too terrible, though it still would be too tryhard edgy. Unfortunately, it has all of the above, so blech.

The bad design decisions do not stop with the watering can (I didn't even realize that) and some of them get pretty indefensible later so look forward to them

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 16, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wait, did Uranium flat out make it so that the trees can't grow without water? In the Pokemon games, the trees still grew. You just couldn't get as many berries without watering them.

It's still dumb because there's no good reason to restrict that item to the post-game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, did Uranium flat out make it so that the trees can't grow without water? In the Pokemon games, the trees still grew. You just couldn't get as many berries without watering them.

It's still dumb because there's no good reason to restrict that item.

No it still works like that.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Commander Keene posted:

EarthBound does that, and still manages to be a good game.

What's neat is that Creatures Inc., one of the companies that works on the Pokemon series, was formerly Ape Inc., the main guys behind Earthbound.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's one free antidote as means to deal with posoin, the ailment, which costs a Pokemon 1/8th of its HP each turn. Raptorch resists pioson and Orchynx is straight immune, so I've got the raw deal when it comes to the final boss of route 1.

:golfclap:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

VagueRant posted:

This all seems incredibly inoffensive so far? Like it's basically just a Pokemon game. But because it's a fangame it's got a few wonky bits (like the tree placement), ugly sprites and it goes for some cheap meme jokes (like virtually every other fangame)?

What standard are we holding this to? Because Red/Blue is apparently super broken if you know how to break it and my memories of Ruby/Sapphire are no worse than what you've shown us of this. Even the weird little watering can thing doesn't seem worse than the entire concept of "tipping" in X/Y.

EDIT: Apparently berries are a lot more important than I ever knew, I guess? I always ignored them.

As you said, right now it's just kind of there. A little on the slow, laggy side, but even Tie was still hesitantly optimistic this early in.

I don't think people would be quite as critical of it if this was how deep the rabbit hole went, though.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Boy some of these new pokemon look like they came straight outta neopets.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
My line of thinking on the "oh it's not so bad" response is the following. Sure, the watering can is not really a big deal on its own, but if they were willing to lock something as small and innocuous as that behind the postgame, what else do you think they have squirrelled away? The people who made that decision *also* designed the rest of the game.

For the record I played like two gyms of this myself and then watched Tie play the rest, so I am well aware of what it pulls.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

One thing I have to give Uranium is that its radial-looking menus are pretty slick all things considered.

Slick looking maybe, but it somehow manages to be the only Pokémon game (at least that I can think of) that doesn't show all your moves at once, which is just inconvenient.

I feel like Tie's Uranium stream just scratched the surface in terms of bizarre design decisions this game has, so I'm incredibly interested in finding out what else is in here.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I feel like Tie's Uranium stream just scratched the surface in terms of bizarre design decisions this game has, so I'm incredibly interested in finding out what else is in here.

Same. I'm also curious to know what the bug someone mentioned Tie had to deal with was, unless that's a spoiler, in which case save it for when it's relevant I guess.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nighthand posted:

Same. I'm also curious to know what the bug someone mentioned Tie had to deal with was, unless that's a spoiler, in which case save it for when it's relevant I guess.

From the change log, version 1.0.4:

quote:

Battle: Held items will no longer make your opponent take more damage (Please send through any feedback you may have on this one to further help testing)

So since they almost always held items, because why wouldn't you, Tie's pokemon were taking an extra beating.

I'm on version 1.1 so that wasn't an issue for me.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Just wanted to say that I also appreciated this bit, OFS.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

krisslanza posted:

I'm sure the mom will be revealed to be alive, but turned into some kind of horrific radioactive mutant Pokemon. That you will capture in a Pokeball and use to engage in battle, naturally.

Unit-01! I choose you!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Aesculus posted:

I hope you don't tell anyone about this, the developers of these pokemon fangames are so hillariously :spergin: that they'll quite literally shut down their entire IRC channel if someone goes there with a broken savefile and a not-developer edits the file to fix it. This happened, and it caused the dev to go on a weird rant on twitter about how decompilers were ruining his life and for the devs to register every single possible reddit that was even tangentially linked to the fangame so nobody could discuss it outside of the dev-approved spaces. It was hilarious.

Wat. Seriously. WAT? :psyduck: Jesus christ. Shutting down your IRC is one thing. Making god drat loving -safe spaces- to control any and all criticism is even loving worse. gently caress, that's nost just shooting yourself in the foot. That's blowing your own god drat head off in front of everyone like some sort of macabre show and tell.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kemix posted:

Wat. Seriously. WAT? :psyduck: Jesus christ. Shutting down your IRC is one thing. Making god drat loving -safe spaces- to control any and all criticism is even loving worse. gently caress, that's nost just shooting yourself in the foot. That's blowing your own god drat head off in front of everyone like some sort of macabre show and tell.

This sort of hugbox mindset has permeated fanworks for ages, possibly longer than the internet was around to hold the negative opinions. If you're familiar with game modding at all, you likely know about the Nexus's terms of service, which amount to "speaking poorly about a mod is a bannable offense".

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

This sort of hugbox mindset has permeated fanworks for ages, possibly longer than the internet was around to hold the negative opinions. If you're familiar with game modding at all, you likely know about the Nexus's terms of service, which amount to "speaking poorly about a mod is a bannable offense".

I never see the point in speaking poorly about someone's mods anyway. Reminds me anytime I check Total War mods, and if there's a single mod that adds female soldiers to it, the comments are pages and pages long of people saying "Your mod is stupid and ahistorical, remove this crap".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

krisslanza posted:

I never see the point in speaking poorly about someone's mods anyway. Reminds me anytime I check Total War mods, and if there's a single mod that adds female soldiers to it, the comments are pages and pages long of people saying "Your mod is stupid and ahistorical, remove this crap".

There is a difference between "your product is bad and you should feel bad" and "I have problems with this" or even "there are technical flaws with this that could be fixed to improve performance" but in these situations all three are perfectly equivalent with regards to reaction.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

krisslanza posted:

I never see the point in speaking poorly about someone's mods anyway.

The same point in "speaking poorly" about anything? So they know what doesn't work so it can be improved. Making criticism a bannable offense is just such a weird idea.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

There is a difference between "your product is bad and you should feel bad" and "I have problems with this" or even "there are technical flaws with this that could be fixed to improve performance" but in these situations all three are perfectly equivalent with regards to reaction.

Aah. Yeah, okay thats a bit different. The first one is what I figured Nexus doesn't want to see, where as the other two are valid.
I guess some people can't even handle constructive criticism at all.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I seem to remember some mod for ...I think Fallout 4 that was a gun that had waaaay to many polygons. Some goon pointed this out and was blocked from downloading the mod, because that's a thing that can happen on the Nexus apparently.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
I've played this game for a while but had to drop it by mid game when the grind just got a bit too much to stomach. Honestly I don't feel like this game is that bad or maybe I just never got to the really bad bits. Either way, I'm glad someone else can finish this so I don't have to. :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dominicius posted:

had to drop it by mid game when the grind just got a bit too much to stomach

I don't feel like this game is that bad

These two statements don't seem like they go together. :raise:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Straight White Shark posted:

These two statements don't seem like they go together. :raise:

"I can see the appeal of this but there's a little too much focus on grinding levels for me to enjoy it" isn't entirely self-contradictory; it's a pretty common thing to hear for why people don't get too into the Dragon Quest games, for example.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Slick looking maybe, but it somehow manages to be the only game (at least that I can think of) that doesn't show all your moves at once, which is just inconvenient.

I was going to mention this as well- Uranium managed to gently caress up one of the most timeless elements of the Pokémon franchise: the user interface.

Pokémon , for all its faults, had the interface down perfectly from the word "go." Not only was it able to convey a large amount of information on screen at one time using simple but effective design elements, but it was able to do so without looking overly-cluttered or having to completely cram everything together or spacing information out through multiple screens.

Like compare these:

To this:

Notice anything?

For one, the actual battle screen is a confusing mess. I think I see what they were trying to go for: a single-screen version of the DS generations, where big colorful buttons exist on the bottom screen to be ogled and pressed , and the actual battle screen plays out on the top.

Problem is, not a single Pokémon game has forced you to scroll through your attacks to be able to even see all of your choices. Then again, the game technically does this with the dumb as gently caress "affinity quiz" at the beginning, which prevents you from seeing the starter you chose until you actually chose it. Even Tie's LP pointed out how loving awful of a feature this is. These is no world where this design element makes sense.

Then comes the HP and XP bars. Why the are they so big? Why does the XP bar look like the HP bars of previous games? It hurts to even stare at for a short amount of time, and takes up an unnecessary amount of space. poo poo, look at the pause interface in the overworld- look at how well laid out it is in the actual games. Everything is neatly packed into an easy to understand corner (since it's a loving kids game), and has a neat little description that explains what each button does (since it's a loving kids game).

Like, I get that this is :spergin: as hell, but would it kill them to actually understand good interface design, especially when the entire series this is apeing did it 100% better before them?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
lol I remember the Pokemon subreddit was SO hype for Uranium, but then all these details I read about it made it sound TERRIBLE. also, the Pokemon designs I've seen so far suck, and if the 'mons aren't cool, what is even the point?

by contrast, Pokemon Sage, another fan-made Pokemon game, albeit one that's still a work in progress, does have good designs. Not great, but it's a consistent design aesthetic. It's just that obviously there weren't going to be any particularly talented character designers among the kind of people that would think "Nuclear" is a good idea for a Pokemon type. Or that gating the watering can behind completion of the main story is a sane design decision.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
I always laugh when I see fan designs for Pokemon, they are almost always awful. They have the special ability to be both blatant ripoffs and completely different than what you'd expect to see in a Pokemon game at the same time. So far, these have not disappointed.

I'm curious to see which of the real Pokemon made it into the game. I'm guessing it will be the "cool" ones like Mewtwo, Garchomp, and Tyranitar, but maybe I'll be surprised. It's so strange to have a romhack so based on an existing franchise, but then change so many of the things fundamental to said series. Like, just take the extra step and make it an RPG Maker game inspired by Pokemon. I guess it would be a lot of work to change the moves, but does anyone really want to play a Pokemon game where most of the Pokemon were replaced by other ones that will never appear outside of said game? Even when a new generation rolls around in actual Pokemon, you theoretically will have access to all the older Pokemon eventually.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Teddy bear caterpillar is kind of horrifying.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I have never played Pokemon.

This seems like an excellent introduction to the franchise. :v:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ohmygorgon posted:

Like, just take the extra step and make it an RPG Maker game inspired by Pokemon.

That's... literally what this is?

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Kurui Reiten posted:

That's... literally what this is?

No, this is still attempting to be a Pokemon game. I mean stripping anything Pokemon out, but still using Pokemon mechanics. Basically an even more direct ripoff of Pokemon than Digimon, Yokai Watch, or what have you.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I have never played Pokemon.

This seems like an excellent introduction to the franchise. :v:

There are such wonders that await you and anyone else unfamiliar with this really bad game

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

quote:

functioning online servers

Wait wait wait wait wait, don't tell me. There are trade evos in this game, aren't there.

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007
Yep!

:suicide:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

PBJ posted:

Like, I get that this is :spergin: as hell, but would it kill them to actually understand good interface design, especially when the entire series this is apeing did it 100% better before them?

This is not :spergin: you're totally right. I don't understand how long time pokemon fans could make this UI.

Also I keep thinking the green HP bar is part of the UI background.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ohmygorgon posted:

Basically an even more direct ripoff of Pokemon than Digimon, Yokai Watch, or what have you.

:goonsay: The original digital pets that began the Digimon franchise actually predate Pokemon Red and Green, and both were in development at the same time, so it's impossible to say one ripped off the other. If anything, both of them ripped off Shin Megami Tensei, considered by many to be the progenitor of the "mon" genre.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waffleman_ posted:

:goonsay: The original digital pets that began the Digimon franchise actually predate Pokemon Red and Green, and both were in development at the same time, so it's impossible to say one ripped off the other. If anything, both of them ripped off Shin Megami Tensei, considered by many to be the progenitor of the "mon" genre.

It's all tamagotchis anyway. :spergin:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's all a ripoff of Animal Husbandry when you really think about it

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
One of the important things to mention about the UI is WHY it's so important to show all the moves.

"Ok charmelaeiouion use fire blast!" "use fire blast" "use fire blast" "use fire blast" "wow I might as well just put this in my first slot and never use anything else, fireblast fireblast fireblast fireblast"

In comes hitmonpunchyouinthefaceandkillyou well what option do you have, fireblast is in big bold letters in the center of the screen and that's what you're so used to using you just don't care, you'll kill him in one shot
you then get ded

Your fourth move that you never use? Will o' wisp, the "burn and also reduce the atk of your opponent by half" move that is amazing but doesn't do damage, which might have reduced his atk enough to survive and not die.

Presenting all the options at the same time is a way of reminding the player that these things that they have that they never use exists so they have a CHANCE of being used in opportune situations. Presenting one just makes them completely forgotten about.

Edit: good summary actually, looks pretty, form has to follow function though

Forer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The catowl obviously pecked you with its pecker.

• Locked thread