Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Also I keep thinking the green HP bar is part of the UI background.

Wait, what the hell? That green thing is the HP bar?

I thought that was just a background behind the HP number, similar to the white box around the HP bar and name from the main series games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

MagusofStars posted:

Wait, what the hell? That green thing is the HP bar?

I thought that was just a background behind the HP number, similar to the white box around the HP bar and name from the main series games.

Nope! The bar that looks like it's the HP bar is the EXP bar. Instead, that big green background part of the UI is the HP bar, and it's awful.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ohmygorgon posted:

I'm curious to see which of the real Pokemon made it into the game. I'm guessing it will be the "cool" ones like Mewtwo, Garchomp, and Tyranitar, but maybe I'll be surprised.

I haven't checked to verify, but I'm going to tag this just in case my supposition is right, but let's be real, you know there's gonna be Eevee, because if you add an ORIGINAL TYPE DO NOT STEAL to your lovely Pokemon fangame, of course you're gonna make an Eeveelution of that type.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

XavierGenisi posted:

Nope! The bar that looks like it's the HP bar is the EXP bar. Instead, that big green background part of the UI is the HP bar, and it's awful.

If I remember right, this tripped Tie up a lot during the earlier parts of his streams and I can't blame him one bit. Even knowing which is which I still get confused by seeing it because it's just so terribly designed.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I hadn't actually noticed the hp bar fuckery until the thread pointed it out. That's some real lovely UI.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
What do people here think of Pokemon Reborn? It's kind of the same sorta 'it's pokemon but OOH DARK AND EDGY' i mean you watch a man kill himself, but it sorta goes so far in establishing the shithole nature of the setting that it's in a way something I got used to instead of just sorta thinking it's lame whenever it came up, aside from the above sorta egregious plot point. I never got far enough to see how rough later encounters get but I kind of found what I did play interesting in that it was explicitly designed with scarcity of resources in mind, including actual Pokemon mostly being in out of the way locations you have to really rummage around for, and most of the high-tier Pokemon are either not even available yet or things you can only get once through chains of events or choices

The field effect gimmick got a little obnoxious at times because it felt like it was the game kinda railroading you into a specific strategy. Said guy who jumped off a cliff had his MEGA ULTRA DEATH POISON field and ultimately the only practical way to deal with it is 'have a Pokemon with Gust', and basically it seems like it's a massive frustrating pain in the rear end unless you specifically have a Swoobat. I do think it's clever that the Gym Leaders try to subvert the usual 'just bring an x type' by having something else interesting going on, like how the Grass lady has this weird-rear end Sandstorm team but I'm dubious how much of my ability to get past them was my actual skill or just sheer luck with the specific team I selected. If nothing else though it's made very clear that no this is going to be a difficult game aimed towards people who play more competitively and know all the quirks of the series so at least it's up-front about that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

If I remember right, this tripped Tie up a lot during the earlier parts of his streams and I can't blame him one bit. Even knowing which is which I still get confused by seeing it because it's just so terribly designed.

Anyone who ever played Pokemon would get tripped up, especially since the EXP bar is green instead of blue. I have no idea how supposed fans could do this, the exp bar has been blue since loving GBC Gold/Silver.

Gyra_Solune posted:

What do people here think of Pokemon Reborn? It's kind of the same sorta 'it's pokemon but OOH DARK AND EDGY' i mean you watch a man kill himself, but it sorta goes so far in establishing the shithole nature of the setting that it's in a way something I got used to instead of just sorta thinking it's lame whenever it came up, aside from the above sorta egregious plot point. I never got far enough to see how rough later encounters get but I kind of found what I did play interesting in that it was explicitly designed with scarcity of resources in mind, including actual Pokemon mostly being in out of the way locations you have to really rummage around for, and most of the high-tier Pokemon are either not even available yet or things you can only get once through chains of events or choices

The field effect gimmick got a little obnoxious at times because it felt like it was the game kinda railroading you into a specific strategy. Said guy who jumped off a cliff had his MEGA ULTRA DEATH POISON field and ultimately the only practical way to deal with it is 'have a Pokemon with Gust', and basically it seems like it's a massive frustrating pain in the rear end unless you specifically have a Swoobat. I do think it's clever that the Gym Leaders try to subvert the usual 'just bring an x type' by having something else interesting going on, like how the Grass lady has this weird-rear end Sandstorm team but I'm dubious how much of my ability to get past them was my actual skill or just sheer luck with the specific team I selected. If nothing else though it's made very clear that no this is going to be a difficult game aimed towards people who play more competitively and know all the quirks of the series so at least it's up-front about that.

If you want edgy you could just play Pokemon Colosseum :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Or any of the Mystery Dungeon games, though those naturally are a little bit different gameplay-wise. :v:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

EclecticTastes posted:

I haven't checked to verify, but I'm going to tag this just in case my supposition is right, but let's be real, you know there's gonna be Eevee, because if you add an ORIGINAL TYPE DO NOT STEAL to your lovely Pokemon fangame, of course you're gonna make an Eeveelution of that type.
I don't know the game either, but I agree this seems obvious.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Having gone through Tie's LP of it, I actually picked this up myself trying to get it to work and deal with both the technical difficulties and the difficulties in actually beating bits of it. I even hopped on their Discord to see if this really is intended and the answers I got amounted to "well it's supposed to be a challenge" and "grind more," neither of which are especially fun responses to receive.

I've got so much to say on this but to sum it all up without getting probated, I'll just quote my final thoughts, spoiler-tagged anyway just to be sure. "Nine years and all they have to show for it is a literal nuclear trash fire."

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

SSNeoman posted:

If you want edgy you could just play Pokemon Colosseum :v:
I was reading up on this game and well surprise surprise they rip off mechanics from that game too. And unsurprisingly Colosseum's implementation is so much better than what Uranium does.

ohmygorgon posted:

I always laugh when I see fan designs for Pokemon, they are almost always awful. They have the special ability to be both blatant ripoffs and completely different than what you'd expect to see in a Pokemon game at the same time. So far, these have not disappointed.
Well for as crazy as the designs get in Pokemon a lot of them are really based upon actual things/mythology/animals whereas looking at Uranium there really are just random doodles that aren't drawing from anything.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 17, 2017

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

What the gently caress? I was joking! Why are there trade evolutions in this fangame? What!? Why are there trade evolutions?! Why the gently caress are there trade evolutions!? :psyduck:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I just looked up the pokedex online, I have more questions than answers.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Pokemon should not be dark and edgy, full stop.

Also this game is real bad but maybe we can stop with the "oh my god you guys it's really bad"

Let OFS take us on his journey to (ant)hell

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Pokemon Reborn is awful.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

GeneX posted:

Pokemon should not be dark and edgy, full stop.

Pokemon's always had some dark undertones just below the surface, between messed-up Pokedex entries and some of the sadder NPC chatter, and the last couple of gens have leaned a bit harder into it (Sun and Moon has some legit disturbing moments, in fact, by way of existential dread). But Game Freak makes it work because they're good at writing, and know how to make those dark moments gel with the more upbeat core of the franchise. Also I guess it's not really edgy, so much as it's just dark. The sort of "dark and edgy" it looks like Uranium is going for, based on that first cutscene, is closer to the juvenile, superficial kind that we all know from such gems as Shadow the Hedgehog, which I agree should be nowhere near a Pokemon game. Or any game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You want needlessly edgy I once read a half-finished fanfiction where the primary idea was that the Legendaries were all trainers who were cool enough to be merged with their favourite Pokemon by Ho-oh, and of course, it happens to Ash and Pikachu but OH NO it wasn't supposed to be them. Gary was the actual chosen one, Ash/Pikachu hybrid goes completely insane and somehow causes a psychic field effect that causes all pokemon to abandon their trainers to work for Evil Overlord Ashachu. Also any trainers who mistreated their pokemon got beaten half to death by them when they turned. It's a total trainwreck, but I've forgotten the title. I just remember it stopped on a cliffhanger with the main characters being trapped in a coastal town somewhere being hunted by a Dragonite and an army of voltorbs. Also it was 20 odd chapters long, long chapters too. And that's unfinished, imagine how long it could have been :gonk:

Unfortunately i cannot find it to link, I discovered it, like, 15 years ago on Fanfiction.net when I was in the target audience.

Also, something I also loved about actual pokemon canon is that Dark pokemon cheat. They just don't fight fair. My favourite move in the entire series is that Dark move Beat Up, where you hit the opponent once for every pokemon in your team - yup, the dark Pokemon in play basically saunters over to the trainer's belt, releases the other five pokeballs, cracks his knuckles and they just gang up on the opponent, wailing on him.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 17, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Pokemon's always had some dark undertones just below the surface, between messed-up Pokedex entries and some of the sadder NPC chatter, and the last couple of gens have leaned a bit harder into it (Sun and Moon has some legit disturbing moments, in fact, by way of existential dread). But Game Freak makes it work because they're good at writing, and know how to make those dark moments gel with the more upbeat core of the franchise. Also I guess it's not really edgy, so much as it's just dark. The sort of "dark and edgy" it looks like Uranium is going for, based on that first cutscene, is closer to the juvenile, superficial kind that we all know from such gems as Shadow the Hedgehog, which I agree should be nowhere near a Pokemon game. Or any game.

Yeah, SuMo is pretty great in that regard. It gets as close to Lovecraft-style eldritch abominations as it can while still being for kids, and it's great.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

The Colloseum and XD:GoD were the darkest the series ever got, thanks to the introduction of Shadow Pokemon, with Colloseum being the darkest since you spend like half your time in the antagonists' lairs and the other half inside hives of scum and villainy.

That said, it owns owns owns cause of :swoon:Wes:swoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO9CU7fygVk

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

You mean those casual Pokedex entries of Driftloon just kidnapping children and killing them?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

alcharagia posted:

What the gently caress? I was joking! Why are there trade evolutions in this fangame? What!? Why are there trade evolutions?! Why the gently caress are there trade evolutions!? :psyduck:

Welcome to Uranium. It gets worse.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

The Colloseum and XD:GoD were the darkest the series ever got, thanks to the introduction of Shadow Pokemon, with Colloseum being the darkest since you spend like half your time in the antagonists' lairs and the other half inside hives of scum and villainy.

That said, it owns owns owns cause of :swoon:Wes:swoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO9CU7fygVk

I don't think that's actually true. I've never gotten around to reading them, but just from hearing about them holy poo poo do some of the Pokemon mangas get dark. Saying that the fan games can get too dark and edgy is fine, but saying Pokemon can't get dark - given what some of the entries have always been, as well as some events that happen in the games - is silly. It all comes down to writing, so if this one, and Reborn(?) are bad, it's not just because they're dark.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Phantump is the spirit of a child that died in the woods, also.

General rule of thumb is that if it's a Ghost-type, its pokedex entry is something horrifying. :v:

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 17, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

krisslanza posted:

You mean those casual Pokedex entries of Driftloon just kidnapping children and killing them?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

krisslanza posted:

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Onmi posted:

This is disgustingly true. Also I will point out, of all the pokemon Fangames I've seen, Sage probably looks the best. That's the 4Chan pokemon Fangame. This is likely because everyone on /vp/ hates themselves and thus, opposite of the typical fan-game issue of no vetting, no one is ever pleased.

http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/CAPX_Wiki

Holy crap, a Pokemon fangame with actual design sense. Searching through Sage's pokedex is like night and day when compared to crap like Reborn or, topically, Uranium.

Never played this particular fangame, mostly because I've played enough Pokemon hacks to know when one just doesn't get how good games (or good writing) work. Looking forward to seeing more of what it has to offer, both in terms of design sin as well as of misguided potential.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh boy is it time to post Pokedex entries??

Alakazam, Moon posted:

Its brain cells continue to increase in number until its death. The older the Alakazam, the larger its head.

Primeape, Sun posted:

It has been known to become so angry that it dies as a result. Its face looks peaceful in death, however.

Metapod, Sun posted:

Its shell is filled with its soft innards. It doesn’t move much because of the risk it might carelessly spill its innards out.

I know there are more but I I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My all-time favorite dumb pokedex fact is that, if you do the math, Wailord is less dense than air.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My all-time favorite dumb pokedex fact is that, if you do the math, Wailord is less dense than air.

A literal whale blimp.

The one true tragedy is that it can't learn Self-Destruct or Explosion, despite what you'd think if you were ever around a dead beached whale or a hindenburg.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I downloaded Uranium and got as far as choosing my Pokémon and battling my rival for the first time before putting it away. The into cutscene, multiple-choice questionnaire and odd menus made me wary of what was in store. I'm happy I stopped playing when I did, I'll definitely be following this LP.

If you accept requests, can you name the first nuclear-radiation-mutated abomination-unto-god that you catch "WHYGOD?"?

Also, this thread has just taught me that Pokémon is an autocorrect word in my phone. Huh.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh hey, I guess I have to hang around in this thread and see what all the hubbub is about. It's practically contractual.

Also add me to the people who think Colosseum was great and also kinda dark.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

KataraniSword posted:

A literal whale blimp.

The one true tragedy is that it can't learn Self-Destruct or Explosion, despite what you'd think if you were ever around a dead beached whale or a hindenburg.

Apparently it is possible to get one with SelfDestruct, but you've got to use the move tutor in fuckin' Pokemon XD and then transfer it all the way up to a modern game.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

krisslanza posted:

Uh excuse me Drifloon doesn't kill them he drags them directly to the afterlife. Sort of like how in Monopoly you go straight to jail without passing Go. So there's just a bunch of alive kids stuck in the afterlife. I mean okay maybe they starve to death later but, whatever, details.

Also Sun and Moon gets way the hell darker than Colosseum and XD. It's not as edgy, but talk to anyone in one of the two graveyards, or do the Eevee sidequest in the post-game. poo poo gets morose.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

One of the most common writing mistakes you see is people assuming that "dark" means "good" automatically, and equating "dark" with "deep", as in thought-provoking and emotional. Pokemon does deep fairly well, if you read between the lines, especially with the antagonists of the more recent generations.

I personally think that dark works best as an undertone for a work, and not as the primary focus. EarthBound is a good example; the game uses bright colors everywhere, makes goofy puns and jokes at every opportunity, and just generally presents itself as a light-hearted romp - until you think about the plot, looking beneath the surface. You don't need a tragic backstory for every character and location to do dark properly.

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh boy is it time to post Pokedex entries??

<snip>

I know there are more but I I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.
How about this gem?

Spoink, Ruby posted:

Spoink bounces around on its tail. The shock of its bouncing makes its heart pump. As a result, this Pokémon cannot afford to stop bouncing - if it stops, its heart will stop.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
acknowledging death is dark for a pokemon game, said a bunch of people who never played gen 1 i guess

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

mandatory lesbian posted:

acknowledging death is dark for a pokemon game, said a bunch of people who never played gen 1 i guess
Ah, yes. Cubone, who wears the skull of its mother and is horribly depressed.

EclecticTastes posted:

do the Eevee sidequest in the post-game. poo poo gets morose.
:ohdear:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I got only to the route after where the LP is currently is at myself. I made the mistake of picking the Grass starter which has the distinction of being the only starter that doesn't begin with a STAB move, lost the first fight because of a combination of that and the water starter having static, and then to add insult to injury the first grass type move it learns is Leech Seed of all things.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Uh excuse me Drifloon doesn't kill them he drags them directly to the afterlife. Sort of like how in Monopoly you go straight to jail without passing Go. So there's just a bunch of alive kids stuck in the afterlife. I mean okay maybe they starve to death later but, whatever, details.

Also Sun and Moon gets way the hell darker than Colosseum and XD. It's not as edgy, but talk to anyone in one of the two graveyards, or do the Eevee sidequest in the post-game. poo poo gets morose.

SM handles it better due to generally better writing (the machamp in the graveyard, for instance) and how its put in side quests or the pokedex. And the grimmer entries in the dex feel more like black comedy (SM gengar). e: and the series as a whole, let's not forget all the stuff in gen 1 (cubone, pokemon tower, cinnabar labs, etc)

Similar to how Colosseum/Gale of Darkness, while having a more edgey aesthetic are still lighthearted in terms of character design and general personality. Yeah you have weird trashy under city as you go around stealing pokemon but also the villains include a goofy mayor, a disco dancer with a team of ludicolo and like two different idols.

Contrast with: a nuclear meltdown intro cutscene

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

Gengar, Sun posted:

Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.
Probably my personal favorite out of the newer Pokedex entries.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

I'm continually surprised by how few people remember Lavender Tower.

Besides the Marowak bit it wasn't terribly "dark", but death's been a thing in Pokemon from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

There's a difference between "I'm sad, my Pokemon's dead" and "You, yes you, playing this, are going to get old and die, just like these melancholy visions of faded glory, and like them, your significance to anyone outside your immediate circle of family and friends is likely to be momentary at best and extremely early compared to life expectancy, assuming you achieve anything at all, which is unlikely. Also people you thought of as important in your past have all but certainly forgotten you in return." Like, that's maybe an okay message for adults who already realize that and have managed to find effective distractions to avoid spending all their time screaming in horror, but this is a game that's still ostensibly for children. Granted, that's easily the most extreme example in the game, the rest falls more comfortably into the usual Pokemon mold of "some of these monsters are messed up, man", but it's a moment that's stuck with me.

flarp22 posted:

Probably my personal favorite out of the newer Pokedex entries.

I like to imagine that, for all the ominous implications, Gengar's just coming to give you a hug, because Gengar is cool and also my friend.

• Locked thread