Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

FPzero posted:

I'm not aware of any offhand. Sounds like it could have been the topic of a GDC talk or Gamasutra article though. My own guess is that Game Freak generally takes a very careful look into mythology, culture and tradition when designing new pokemon for a region. Like with Sun/Moon, there are a lot of island creatures mixed with tribal design and legend from the general part of the real world the game takes place in. Their designs are almost never as simple as "it's a happy bat but with a fluffy tail." Well, post-Gen 1 designs anyway; there were some pretty lazy ones there.

The Gen 1 designs can probably be excused due to the fact that Gen 1 Pokémon were designed primarily to be standard JRPG monsters in a video game that probably wasn't going to have a sequel. Then the video game unexpectedly took off and spawned several spin-offs, a card game, an anime series and dozens of manga.

When designing a Pokémon, they now need to not only be JRPG monsters, but they need to be marketable as well. They could easily become beloved characters in the anime or sell tons of merch. Not to mention that they need to all be visually distinct from one another. Its a tricky balance.

Fan-made designs tend to be mostly hit or miss or simply because they aren't being made to sell something. Also I imagine that some of the non-working designs aren't discarded since they happen to be someone's "precious baby, do not criticize" even when they should have been axed from development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FPzero posted:

I'm not aware of any offhand. Sounds like it could have been the topic of a GDC talk or Gamasutra article though. My own guess is that Game Freak generally takes a very careful look into mythology, culture and tradition when designing new pokemon for a region. Like with Sun/Moon, there are a lot of island creatures mixed with tribal design and legend from the general part of the real world the game takes place in. Their designs are almost never as simple as "it's a happy bat but with a fluffy tail." Well, post-Gen 1 designs anyway; there were some pretty lazy ones there.

All the gen 1 designs are weird for a very specific reason. They were all done by programmers for the original red and green versions, and then only given art and real designs afterwards by Ken Sugimori. The designs that we got in the US for red and blue are actually the second iteration based on the designs Sugimori was able to puzzle out from the mess that was the original sprites.

The ones on the left are the original sprites from Green and Red in Japan.

For subsequent generations they just had the artists design new pokemon, so you don't get krabby, the crab pokemon that is just a crab.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
Baashaun, mentioned in the last update, is one of the pokemon I really like from this game. I didn't use the one from this trade, mainly because I forgot about it too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Let's throw a :D face on a Zubat and give it a bushy tail, yeah, people are gonna be all over that poo poo.

Classy Hydra posted:

You may as well just give us Roggenrola and Zubat again if you're just going to ape their concepts so closely.

Something that you don't get to experience in a screenshot LP that becomes apparent the instant you step in the tunnel in a video playthrough.

Tonemy has Zubat's cry. Literally just copy-pasted, an identical cry to Zubat. It's a loving Zubat without a flying type weighing it down. Instead it has Levitate so it can get the immunities without the weaknesses. That's all it is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why does Tonemy's Pokedex entry show its name in all caps like the old games where no name is shown in all caps otherwise? This is a really weird thing to not be consistent about.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

A small criticism I do have is that you cut most of the dialogue out, which is okay for most LPs because, hey, I'm pretty sure this forum has LPd most games. Thing here is that nobody else here has done this game so cutting out all the dialogue leaves me confused.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Siegkrow posted:

A small criticism I do have is that you cut most of the dialogue out, which is okay for most LPs because, hey, I'm pretty sure this forum has LPd most games. Thing here is that nobody else here has done this game so cutting out all the dialogue leaves me confused.

It's kind of a coinflip situation because asking to leave stuff about literal stalkers giving you the keys to gym leader's houses is exactly the kind of poo poo that would make a lot of people ragequit an LP, and OFS had said from the getgo this was meant to focus more on the technical side of things.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I kind of like that Barewl thing. It's got angry eyebrows.

I've actually liked a few of the designs, to be honest. The spritework is obviously not great, but I feel like they aren't entirely without merit.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I do kind of like the Birbie having that "creepy" blue face painted on it that'd normally act as a way to ward of predators, and it distracts from it just being a small fat bird otherwise. It like almost works here, which is more than can be said for others.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Zuzie posted:

The Gen 1 designs can probably be excused due to the fact that Gen 1 Pokémon were designed primarily to be standard JRPG monsters in a video game that probably wasn't going to have a sequel. Then the video game unexpectedly took off and spawned several spin-offs, a card game, an anime series and dozens of manga.

When designing a Pokémon, they now need to not only be JRPG monsters, but they need to be marketable as well. They could easily become beloved characters in the anime or sell tons of merch. Not to mention that they need to all be visually distinct from one another. Its a tricky balance.

Fan-made designs tend to be mostly hit or miss or simply because they aren't being made to sell something. Also I imagine that some of the non-working designs aren't discarded since they happen to be someone's "precious baby, do not criticize" even when they should have been axed from development.

Also, while each person in Nintendo's design group designs a certain number of Pokemon, they don't do it in isolation, and the aesthetic design sense always ends up mostly coherent within a generation's set of Pokemon. There are consistent patterns. a Gen IV Pokemon, generally, looks like a Gen IV Pokemon, and so on. and it's my understanding that designs have to be approved by the higher-ups in a fairly strict process. Something like Barewl wouldn't make it through that. They'd go "what is the idea behind this, and why can't I immediately tell by looking at it what it's about?". With a project like this, it's very easy for them to end up having no quality control people, or anybody willing to just flatly turn down an idea and send it back to the drawing board.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dragonatrix posted:

I do kind of like the Birbie having that "creepy" blue face painted on it that'd normally act as a way to ward of predators, and it distracts from it just being a small fat bird otherwise. It like almost works here, which is more than can be said for others.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I think the best way I can describe this game is as a cargo cult Pokemon games. Their not really designing so much as their just going through the motions of a Pokemon game. Why do you have to detour through a cave filled with bats to get to next town? Because you always have to detour through a cave filled with bats to reach the next city in Pokemon games. Why is captivate a TM? Because is is in the other games, ect...

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's not the only reason things feels off.

GameFreak has the advantage of being able to design a ton of Pokemon and then whittle away any that don't meet their standards.

Fangames can't exactly do that, so if something's not up to snuff gently caress it, it's going in anyway because either money was paid for it or the sunk cost fallacy means any time spent on a sprite is a waste if it's not used.

oh, that's great, so Hydreigon was originally going to be a rad as hell army tank dragon but instead whatever the gently caress it is now was approved

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ghidorah is cooler then any tank

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

It's kind of a coinflip situation because asking to leave stuff about literal stalkers giving you the keys to gym leader's houses is exactly the kind of poo poo that would make a lot of people ragequit an LP, and OFS had said from the getgo this was meant to focus more on the technical side of things.

Also, including dialogue would drastically increase the amount of work this LP would take. There's no handy script, and the dialogue is internally split up between their individual events - a normal thing technically, but it means there's no central text dump.

Unlike Dragon Quest VIII, this game hasn't earned transcription. :colbert:

mandatory lesbian posted:

ghidorah is cooler then any tank

I know someone who agrees with you!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Pretty sure the dragonite origins thing is a reference to dragon age: origins, which makes me both worried and eager to see just how terrible the npc interactions will be if they are referencing bioware games.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Ages ago I got linked to and wound up reading this massive thread that anaylzed the designs, inspiration, and impact of every single pokemon: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120680

It actually got finished (prior to Sun/Moon's release) and while certainly not official, there's a lot of cool stuff in it like the Timburr line's connection to Japanese stereotypes about criminals.

A lot of fan designs tend to boil down to "It's electric so it will have sharp angles, and it's a clam so we'll call it Shellshok because that's a weak pun" .

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

holy hell

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I know someone who agrees with you!

Oh god why does the tail come out of its crotch

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

gently caress you if you don't like hand-puppet hydra.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dr. Dos posted:

Ages ago I got linked to and wound up reading this massive thread that anaylzed the designs, inspiration, and impact of every single pokemon: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120680

It actually got finished (prior to Sun/Moon's release) and while certainly not official, there's a lot of cool stuff in it like the Timburr line's connection to Japanese stereotypes about criminals.

A lot of fan designs tend to boil down to "It's electric so it will have sharp angles, and it's a clam so we'll call it Shellshok because that's a weak pun" .

Different source (Not associated with poo poo like Neogaf) is Bogleeches pokemon reviews

http://www.bogleech.com/pokemon/parchive.html

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

gently caress you if you don't like hand-puppet hydra.

Oh no I love hydreigon, it's just that its an unfortunate place for the tail.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
So, is this game just going to completely waste the painfully obvious foreshadowing that Pokemon Rangers are secretly totally evil? Like, from OFS' commentary, it sounds like all the circlejerking about Pokemon Ranger is going to go basically nowhere, which is dumb, because the whole scene of "yes this magic top just shows Pokemon I'm their friend and isn't a mind control device at all no siree" would have been decent setup for them to be the bad guys.

And I'm really not surprised that Dunsparce is there, every gen has a handful of Pokemon that just never find their place and end up more or less forgotten, which means there's always gonna be some diehard fans who wish those particular Pokemon got more exposure, not even necessarily due to liking those specific Pokemon, but more because they don't want any of them to fall by the wayside. On top of that, Dunsparce's ability and move pool has earned it some genuine fans in the competitive scene. Those two groups, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume, make up roughly 100% of the Pokemon Uranium development team, so, now you know why Dunsparce is in the game.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

dunsparce is great and cool and possibly my favorite pokemon of all time? maybe number two it's a close contest

what it doesn't need, though, is an evolution. i don't understand at all why everybody wants it to have one. maybe a mega evo tops, maybe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

EclecticTastes posted:

So, is this game just going to completely waste the painfully obvious foreshadowing that Pokemon Rangers are secretly totally evil? Like, from OFS' commentary, it sounds like all the circlejerking about Pokemon Ranger is going to go basically nowhere, which is dumb, because the whole scene of "yes this magic top just shows Pokemon I'm their friend and isn't a mind control device at all no siree" would have been decent setup for them to be the bad guys.

That'd be even more stupid, unneccesary EDGY. Rangers have already been shown as good in their entire series, saying "NO BUT THEY WERE ACTUALLY MIND CONTROLLING POKEMON" is really stupid.

That said if you're going to setup something as hard as this game is, at least do something with it. Have the Rangers be a part of the story beyond the protagonist's dad who is an already established character but completely OOC because EDGY.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

And I'm really not surprised that Dunsparce is there, every gen has a handful of Pokemon that just never find their place and end up more or less forgotten, which means there's always gonna be some diehard fans who wish those particular Pokemon got more exposure, not even necessarily due to liking those specific Pokemon, but more because they don't want any of them to fall by the wayside. On top of that, Dunsparce's ability and move pool has earned it some genuine fans in the competitive scene. Those two groups, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume, make up roughly 100% of the Pokemon Uranium development team, so, now you know why Dunsparce is in the game.

That's true on all counts. I just find it funny that there seems to be a larger group of people who love Dunsparce (this thread has even shown as much). Meanwhile a couple of Pokemon introduced at the same time are largely ignored from everyone, including the diehard fans who want every obscure Pokemon to get a useful evolution (Stantler is always my go-to for Pokemon no one seems to like).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

That'd be even more stupid, unneccesary EDGY. Rangers have already been shown as good in their entire series, saying "NO BUT THEY WERE ACTUALLY MIND CONTROLLING POKEMON" is really stupid.

That said if you're going to setup something as hard as this game is, at least do something with it. Have the Rangers be a part of the story beyond the protagonist's dad who is an already established character but completely OOC because EDGY.

it's a bit early to whine about the story not having rangers when we haven't seen any of it

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

You know, I actually like the idea of a pokemon game where certain areas are loving nasty and you've got to prepare with the right tools and/or pokemon before tackling them or you're gonna hurt, like with this cave and the steel-type guy. I like the idea of specifically searching for a pokemon that deals with the specific challenges of an area instead of just using whatever, at least in a side-game or a harder difficulty mode or a fan game. It would probably work better in a game without levels, or a game where the levels are less important, though.

I remember a game which was kind of like pokemon with robots that did stuff sort of like that. Robopon?

I'm sure this game is bad and we've already seen some bad stuff, but I actually like this specific idea, assuming it was intentional. Maybe we'll see more like it?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Trick Question posted:

It would probably work better in a game without levels, or a game where the levels are less important, though.

Or a game where using the specific guys you like wasn't such a big part of it. And it shouldn't be a game where the specific difficulty in the area comes from poor playtesting re. encounter rates, because it is everywhere in the game that has encounter rates this obnoxious.

Trick Question posted:

I'm sure this game is bad and we've already seen some bad stuff, but I actually like this specific idea, assuming it was intentional. Maybe we'll see more like it?

It wasn't, and we won't.

I could see it in a game more based around the idea, but certainly not in Pokemon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trick Question posted:

You know, I actually like the idea of a pokemon game where certain areas are loving nasty and you've got to prepare with the right tools and/or pokemon before tackling them or you're gonna hurt, like with this cave and the steel-type guy. I like the idea of specifically searching for a pokemon that deals with the specific challenges of an area instead of just using whatever, at least in a side-game or a harder difficulty mode or a fan game. It would probably work better in a game without levels, or a game where the levels are less important, though.

A reminder that this game has a dedicated Nuzlocke mode, and one of the stipulations of a Nuzlocke run is one Pokemon catch per area, so even if they handled that idea well here (and not just an in annoying poison gimmick way) it still wouldn't fit cohesively with other design decisions that they've made.

That said a game based around that would be real neato. That's kind of a natural progression of the whole typed Gyms things, even.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ohmygorgon posted:

That's true on all counts. I just find it funny that there seems to be a larger group of people who love Dunsparce (this thread has even shown as much). Meanwhile a couple of Pokemon introduced at the same time are largely ignored from everyone, including the diehard fans who want every obscure Pokemon to get a useful evolution (Stantler is always my go-to for Pokemon no one seems to like).

My go-to forgotten Pokemon is Farfetch'd. Is it just a duck? Sure. But it's a duck who is a master swordsman wielding a root vegetable. It's only natural that some Pokemon end up being, essentially, filler, there's only so much the devs can do to make Pokemon feel new and different. Since Gen VI, they've been doing a better job of differentiating Pokemon in terms of both design and gameplay, but they have the advantages of having a new Pokemon type to work with and no longer holding themselves to 100 new Pokemon each game (68 in Gen VI, 80 in Gen VII before Alola Forms). Geez, if they hadn't forced you to get to know them by making them the only Pokemon available, I'm pretty sure somewhere around half the Pokemon from Black and White would have been forgotten moments after the game released. 156 new Pokemon, and something like seventy of them were just new takes on old Pokemon concepts (like Foongus instead of Voltorb, and Audino instead of Chansey/Clefairy/Jigglypuff). From a design perspective, it was interesting to see all these "what if we did Pokemon over from scratch" ideas, but it didn't do a lot in terms of distinctiveness.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That was more the point I was making, yeah. Like, I don't know or care about the Pokemon Ranger series, but having them all over the place for no reason with pointless scenes about how their stuff works, do something with them, narratively. Especially seeing as dad's a ranger, having the rangers be secretly evil, while dumb and pointlessly edgy, would be in keeping with the game's overall tone (i.e. dumb and pointlessly edgy), so it would be as close to good writing as one can get under the circumstances.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Trick Question posted:

I remember a game which was kind of like pokemon with robots that did stuff sort of like that. Robopon?

Game Freak already kind of does this, in which case they can provide something to make an upcoming important battle easier, (Either a Pokemon, a TM, or something else). The difference is, it's not mandatory to use them, and if you want to stick with the team you have, or don't want to use that particular mon, you don't have to. You'll get a slight spike in difficulty, but not like a sheer cliff. It's part of the appeal of the games.

HMs do clash with that, but they threw all those out the window in Sun and Moon.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
Birbie is so good and Barewl's cute. This game has some dumb amateur design decisions but I can't be mad at it. I just don't see the edge. The opening scene is whatever and the creepy stalker guy is just generic anime humor. The fangame mentioned earlier with the multiple suicides has set the bar too high for me. And the personality test at the beginning was a interesting idea. A big part of the franchise is people connecting with their team of goobers, so I can definitely see how it could've been a fun gimmick. Too bad the starter designs are so underwhelming.

EclecticTastes posted:

My go-to forgotten Pokemon is Farfetch'd. Is it just a duck? Sure.

how dare you :psyduck:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
MS Paint Bird is not, in fact, "so good."

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

KataraniSword posted:

Tonemy has Zubat's cry. Literally just copy-pasted, an identical cry to Zubat. It's a loving Zubat without a flying type weighing it down. Instead it has Levitate so it can get the immunities without the weaknesses. That's all it is.

Basically they took away what made Zubat unique and turned it into Koffing? That's incredibly lazy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Straight White Shark posted:

MS Paint Bird is not, in fact, "so good."

Actually Birbie is one of the only genuinely good designs in the game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

SirSamVimes posted:

Actually Birbie is one of the only genuinely good designs in the game.

It's one of few good ideas, rather

The execution is bad

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This is why OFS threads are sooooo good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
However I hit Save instead of Save As so that's now Birbie's front sprite.

• Locked thread