Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, it was a bad joke and they should feel bad. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Golux posted:

Only problem with that is a lot of pokemon are disappointingly small compared to an adult.

Not if you use the anime rules. Then Charizard can be as big as you need it to be. :getin:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Oh hey, now I can post the infrographic that introduced me to this game! I think it was a result of TieTuesday's excruciating attempt at playing through.

This was literally all I knew about Pokemon Uranium going in. Even after seeing the smoldering ashes of game design leading up to it, it remains the crown jewel of The Worst Decision In This Game.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 22, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MR. J posted:

So... how high does the Power Level wankery get with the legendary pokemon relative to inflate gah?

Just in vague terms, however I won't be too shocked if we get something with a 255 in a base stat at this rate.

As far as Base Stat Totals, OFS has run four of the five strongest pokemon at this point (Mega forms of Inflagetah, Syrentide, Electruxo, and Baariette). The strongest pokemon is Urayne, whose stats actually minorly lag behind the strongest that the official games have released (Mega Mewtwo/Mega Rayquaza, Primal Kyogre/Groudon).

On the flip-side, the four megas I mentioned are all about as strong, BST-wise, as (non-mega) box-art legendaries, so :shrug:

Nothing in the game has a 255 base stat, though there's a few with 180s in places.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 23, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Epicmissingno posted:

I guess the ideal Pokemon for this would be a Ghost-type with Flash Fire. It's a shame, then, that Chandelure isn't in Uranium otherwise it might be able to hard counter that Mega Inflagetah.

It also knows U-Turn. And Chandelure isn't exactly sturdy with a base 60 HP. Even with a 4x resistance to Bug, it might get two-shot, and that's an issue when it's:
a) faster
b) not the last pokemon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Epicmissingno posted:

According to Showdown's damage calculator this particular Inflagetah will do 14.6% of a level 70 Chandelure's HP at best with an unbuffed U-Turn. This is with rock-bottom HP and Defence IVs on the Chandelure, by the way. At worst it will do 4.8%, but why would you ever max out Chandelure's HP and Defence? Meanwhile Chandelure spamming Shadow Ball will probably get a three-hit KO on Inflagetah if it has middling stats, a two-hit KO if it has good stats, and a four-hit KO with the worst possible stats.

You're right about at least one thing, though: if Inflagetah isn't the last of Tiko's Pokemon a Chandelure would probably be screwed anyway.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, this is specifically for countering Tiko's Inflagetah, not any of his other Pokemon.

Admittedly I don't have the damage calculators right on hand, I'll defer to those with the actual math. :shobon: Still, yeah, trying to handle it as like the second pokemon in would be a logistical nightmare.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, turns out that minmaxing speed and attack is a brokenly good strategy as long as you have the typing to back it up! Or, in Inflagetah's case, can just Hit First Without Fail Every Time.

EDIT: Thinking about it, Rhyperior or Onix would be a potential counter to the rocket cat, too. Able to soak his STAB and Extremespeed, smack back with super-effective STAB of their own. Might not work with Onix, but Rhyp is punchy enough.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 24, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bloodly posted:

This kind of thing seems to always happen with fangames and mods and such. They have the knowledge, so they make things to 'challenge' them. Then they wonder what went wrong when everyone else pipes up with 'It's too hard'.

I don't think I've seen anything that didn't fall into that.

There's a few redesign mods for FFT that aren't total trashfires, and AM2R doesn't require anything like physics manipulation or really anything too much worse than you'd expect from actual Super Metroid.

You better believe if a romhack claims to "fix balance issues", though, it's shifting the paradigm to Bullshit Difficulty.

Epicmissingno posted:

I definitely wouldn't expect any extra dialogue for losing - just a straight game over screen, like you'd get if you lost in the Nuzlocke mode (barring any fights that it's fine to lose in a normal game like the first rival battle). At least I assume you get a game over screen if you lose in the Nuzlocke mode.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So, uh, I have no living Pokemon.

Against Tath there it softlocks with this runtime error. I have no way around her. Maybe I could catch something?

Nope. Similar runtime error.

They might have fixed that. I forget. But at least when OFS showed it off, you sure didn't.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blockhouse posted:

Oh I mean the concept of ninjas not the actual execution we got

We already had bad guy pirates. Twice!

One of the groups of bad guy pirates also were helped by bad guy ninjas, though it was a small squad of actual assassins instead of an entire team of nincompoops.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Manatee Cannon posted:

a link between worlds style pokemon game would make more sense and be easier

So you rent out the pokemon team you use?

They already did Pokemon Stadium.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, the Daft Punk is definitely Uranium dumb but the other thing is general Pokemon dumb. You had to choose one Hitmon in Kanto and one Lati in Emerald, after all.

It's a terrible thing that should not be repeated in a fangame but by this point I don't expect the people behind fangames to actually understand what makes their inspirations fun so instead they'll just copy everything even when it sucks.

Even then, you never had to capture a legendary in a double battle against two level 90 legendaries at once. That's still Uranium dumb.

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. There's something so... egregious about his presence.

I mean even on the other side of skirtman haha, and the religious fundamentalists, and the acres of bad dialogue on all fronts, and the tone-dead grimdark of CURIE and the Garlikid side stuff, and every single intensely bad gameplay decision put into the game, I kind of want to say that Adam is somehow the worst thing in the game. I'm not sure I can adequately put it into words, it's just a profound sense of seething annoyance.

If I had to guess it's because Adam is sort of the Zenith of fangamery. A backer not only gets put in the game they're really super important and interesting you guys and he's there for the really cool quest where you get our fanmade legendary that rounds out boring old Heatran (who we won't put in the game) and Adam so super special that he has a Gengar (even without Ghastly and Haunter) and not just any Gengar it's obviously a MEGA Gengar because he's the best you guys. Somehow it's even worse that it's not a self-insert. He was just some doofus who (I assume) donated and helped the dev team and they responded by making him the keystone character of a post-game sidequest. Adam represents the insularity and smug self-assuredness that wafts through Uranium. They were gonna make a REAL Pokemans game for REAL Pokemon big boys like themselves and that core conceit seems to be why Uranium is such a trashpile.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this or assuming too much or just being totally unfair, but there's something about Adam and that Gengar hoodie that makes me want to kick him into a lava pit.

People like Adam are why Major\Minor got made.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, I think the hoodie is cute, and his horror over us murdering a legendary was hilarious.

Yeah, if nothing else, the faint chuckle there is the closest Uranium has ever gotten to producing a positive emotion.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MiracleFlare posted:

I also gotta wonder what the hell the point is of giving Heatran a trio and then not including Heatran at all. Another weird point: Lanthan and Actan are genderless mon, while Heatran has the distinction of being the only Legendary able to be male or female. (Ignoring what non-gameplay stuff like the Pokedexes and the anime might say about other Legendaries.)

It's just... what is even the point of associating two new Legendaries with Heatran if it doesn't seem like it fits in at all in the group, and if it isn't even available? And don't say it's because Heatran is native to Sinnoh - the official games found a way to put RSE's trio in Johto and DPP's lake guardians all over Unova. BW2 and ORAS also had a spare Heatran each, so there is no reason for Uranium not doing the same.

The answer here is super simple. They slapped a "1.0" label on their fangame when it wasn't even feature complete and they knew it wasn't feature complete.

They hadn't put in Heatran yet, simply, before they got slapped with a C&D. Same goes with their other legendary trio. My guess is that they thought of the trio, figured "oh you can use the other two to get heatran" (actually pretty common in pokemon, see also Kyurem, Rayquaza, Regigigas) but then got their (poke)balls shattered by Nintendo before they could actually put that plan into action.

It's a different kind of Uranium stupidity than normal, but it's still Uranium stupidity - painting a target on themselves before they'd even technically finished because they couldn't keep it in their pants.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Has there been any other fan games that has a completely original dex? I'll probably move on to official Pokemon games after this play through so I'm just wondering.

Most of the ones we've mentioned in-thread have had original dexes. Reborn, Sage, Clover, even Pokemon Quartz.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Really, it just comes down to "as an adjective it sounds okay, as a noun/title it sounds goofy". Like, you wouldn't grab Excalibur and say "oh boy, I just got myself a legendary" unless you were playing an MMO, but it is still a legendary weapon.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Testekill posted:

Mawuh is a good cop that just is badly effected by his crippling alcoholism.

But without that alcoholism, how would he get his Rum Power?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Double Punctuation posted:

Here's Vinny playing to the first rival fight. It is extremely dumb and totally deserves a full LP. Watch it before it gets copyright claimed into oblivion.

e: Volume warning at 9:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBfA-a5Mc7I

"Volume Warning" was not enough of a warning, holy poo poo. :catstare: I think that's the first time in at least two years a video game has gone full-blown Screamer Flash at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

Now and only now do I click five.

Not an emptyquote, just another :five:

• Locked thread